Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232815 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1505 on: July 26, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »
really excited about the complete 1984 Montreal Spectrum show.   I wasn't there of course, I was too young but the first time I saw Marillion live was at the Spectrum in 2004 on the Marbles tour and that venue closed just a few years later.  Such a shame.

You know it!  That was supposed to be a legendary show! A few of those songs are already on Real to Reel.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1506 on: July 26, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »
I would swap Less Is More and Fugazi, in terms of groupings (maybe Script too) but there's not a lot to disagree with there.

Yeah, I hesitated to include Less is More anyway, but I really do enjoy it. It actually kind of pulled me back in after being let down a bit by Happiness is the Road and I wanted to give it some love.

I don't know why I don't like Script very much. I feel like I should enjoy it more on a classic prog level than I do. I think it has more to do with it being kind of way out of range of what the band would become (same reason many original Marillion fans don't connect so much with the H era I guess), and Fish just being a little bit grating in his performance.

Less Is More is at the bottom of my list along with Brave and half of Afraid of Sunlight.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1507 on: July 26, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
I would swap Less Is More and Fugazi, in terms of groupings (maybe Script too) but there's not a lot to disagree with there.

Yeah, I hesitated to include Less is More anyway, but I really do enjoy it. It actually kind of pulled me back in after being let down a bit by Happiness is the Road and I wanted to give it some love.

I don't know why I don't like Script very much. I feel like I should enjoy it more on a classic prog level than I do. I think it has more to do with it being kind of way out of range of what the band would become (same reason many original Marillion fans don't connect so much with the H era I guess), and Fish just being a little bit grating in his performance.

I don't know, because I wasn't there, but I imagine if you saw the early Marquee shows in person, the album would resonate a lot more.  All those songs were concert set pieces and I think played that way on record.   The title track is the only song I would ever knowingly go to to listen to.  Maybe "He Knows You Know".

I like Garden Party and He Knows you Know a good bit. I think H (when he tries) does Garden Party better than Fish did though!

At this point, I'd rather both Fish and Hogarth stay away from the Fish/Marillion songs and just let the crowd sing them if they need to be played.

Plenty of legendary live Marillion out there now from every era to enjoy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1508 on: July 26, 2021, 07:59:16 PM »
I know most don't rate Somewhere Else very highly, but I have a soft spot for that album. It does sort of feel like Marbles B-sides, but I think the overall atmosphere is great.

On the flip side, I think Brave is waaaay overrated. There are some great tracks to be sure, but as a whole it just doesn't click with me.

There are some songs on Somewhere Else that I rate highly (The Other Half, A Voice from the Past, the title track), and I don’t hate it the way some fans do. I do think it’s a relatively weak Marillion album, but it’s not a bad album necessarily. There really isn’t an H era Marillion album that doesn’t have songs that I really love. That ability to consistently produce gems even on their lesser albums is one of the reasons I love them so much. For instance, a lot of people don’t like Marillion.com. It has some low points for sure, but then Go!, Tumble Down the Years, Interior Lulu, and House are four of my favorite Marillion songs.

The problem with Somewhere Else is that it is Zooropa, or Draw The Line, or The Final Cut... it followed Marbles, which for me fired on ALL cylinders. That was everything the hype made it out to be (and the last with Dave Meegan, if I recall; they need to rekindle the fire with that dude, stat.)

Big fan of The Final Cut and a bit lesser fan of Zooropa. Maybe that's why I like Somewhere Else.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1509 on: July 26, 2021, 08:03:10 PM »
Latest update. Sounds like recording should be done this month, then they are taking August off and mixing in September. They mention the first time we might hear new material is at the November shows, so I’m guessing we’re looking at early/spring 2022 release date for the album. Kind of a bummer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7OhkUn1O4BU

Good. That means Rothery can get cracking on his solo album. As much as I'd like a new Marillion album, I think I'm looking forward to Rothery's album more.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1510 on: July 27, 2021, 05:56:44 AM »

I don't know, because I wasn't there, but I imagine if you saw the early Marquee shows in person, the album would resonate a lot more.  All those songs were concert set pieces and I think played that way on record.   The title track is the only song I would ever knowingly go to to listen to.  Maybe "He Knows You Know".

I like Garden Party and He Knows you Know a good bit. I think H (when he tries) does Garden Party better than Fish did though!

At this point, I'd rather both Fish and Hogarth stay away from the Fish/Marillion songs and just let the crowd sing them if they need to be played.

Ooooh, not to be argumentative, but I hate that, when the singer jsut points the mic and let's the crowd sing.  I didn't pay to hear that, I paid to hear the artist.    That's just me, though.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1511 on: July 28, 2021, 05:45:33 PM »

Good. That means Rothery can get cracking on his solo album. As much as I'd like a new Marillion album, I think I'm looking forward to Rothery's album more.

What do you think of his side project from a few years ago, The Wishing Tree? I remember finding the first album pleasant enough. Songs like Evergreen and Nightwater had some tasty Rotherisms. And Paul Craddick on drums is always good hear, even in this more laid back context. The second album, Ostara, I found in the used cd bin a few years back, but I don't remember much from it. I should probably check it out again...

Offline HOF

« Reply #1512 on: July 28, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »

What do you think of his side project from a few years ago, The Wishing Tree? I remember finding the first album pleasant enough. Songs like Evergreen and Nightwater had some tasty Rotherisms. And Paul Craddick on drums is always good hear, even in this more laid back context. The second album, Ostara, I found in the used cd bin a few years back, but I don't remember much from it. I should probably check it out again...

I like both of the Wishing Tree albums, and probably like Ostara a little more than the debut. If you like those, check out Hannah Stobart and Paul Craddick’s Rocket Moth project, which is a lot like Ostara but heavier.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1513 on: August 03, 2021, 07:28:54 AM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1514 on: August 03, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »
They have a cassette format? Only Marillion  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #1515 on: August 03, 2021, 08:09:46 AM »
I’ve never actually participated in the pre-order campaigns before. I might this time as money is somewhat less of an object at this point in life, and this could well be their last hurrah (let’s hope not, but at the rate they’re going…).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1516 on: August 03, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
I did on FEAR, it's a decent price for a signed cd without having to go through a meet and greet, especially when they only tour the US every ten years or so. The FEAR album had good, prominent autographs on the cover, very well done.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1517 on: August 03, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
I might do this as well.   Interesting.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1518 on: August 03, 2021, 12:31:45 PM »
I caved per I have preordered every record since failing miserably with Marbles.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1519 on: August 07, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »

Ooooh, not to be argumentative, but I hate that, when the singer jsut points the mic and let's the crowd sing.  I didn't pay to hear that, I paid to hear the artist.    That's just me, though.

I may be in the minority on it but I pay for the experience as well as the artist.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1520 on: August 07, 2021, 12:37:31 PM »

I like them. Probably enjoy the first album more but Ostara is pretty cool for what it is. Like Craddick on drums too.

But I have to say I REALLY dig "Ghosts" even more (Love the Live in Rome CD/DVD even more!) No singing, just Rothery playing songs on his guitar. It's one of my favorite albums.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1521 on: August 07, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »

I like both of the Wishing Tree albums, and probably like Ostara a little more than the debut. If you like those, check out Hannah Stobart and Paul Craddick’s Rocket Moth project, which is a lot like Ostara but heavier.

Didn't know about Rocket Moth. Thanks. Might have to check them out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1522 on: August 07, 2021, 12:54:55 PM »
Pre-order for the new album is up!

https://marillion.ear-music.net/?fbclid=IwAR1S9REzYj2_qVezxSXN1g2MU03zAvFl7ITO_TdJzl7HyXTfgDz3hviifiM

Already ordered the 2CD set. I don't need cassettes and vinyl from Fish/Marillion at this point in my life. Would have waited, but the place they outsourced the preordering to (can't remember off hand... Ear Music?) started raising the price of FEAR  the closer to its release date so I don't want that to happen to me again.

Kinda sucks that you can't really decide when to buy CDs anymore. If you don't get it right away or when it's released the price may quadruple in weeks or months.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1523 on: August 31, 2021, 07:32:46 AM »
The initials for the new album are AHBID, and the full name will be unveiled soon (I think this Friday but not totally sure). There’s a contest to win free tickets for the entirety of their upcoming UK tour if you guess the name right (or other stuff if you can’t make it). Check the band’s Facebook page for details, pretty sure a direct link won’t work.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1524 on: August 31, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »
The initials for the new album are AHBID, and the full name will be unveiled soon (I think this Friday but not totally sure). There’s a contest to win free tickets for the entirety of their upcoming UK tour if you guess the name right (or other stuff if you can’t make it). Check the band’s Facebook page for details, pretty sure a direct link won’t work.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=392358312251288&id=100044313675284

31st August 2021 - Album 20 - It's Competition Time!

Hello Everyone,

It's competition time!

As you all know, a few weeks ago we launched the pre-order campaign for our 20th studio album (yes, Less Is More and With Friends From The Orchestra do count, because err...we say so!)

Full details of how you can get involved in the campaign are available here -

www.marillion.com/pre-order

We are also now delighted to say that we're almost ready to reveal the title of the album. However, we thought we'd try and make it a bit more interesting than just putting out the usual press release.

What we're going to do is announce the initials of the title via our social channels and website and then we're going to let you guess what you think the album is called. When you've seen the initials and you've decided what you think the title is, just email us on light@marillion.com with your best guess at the title.

All the correct answers will go in a draw and we'll pick one winner at random who will receive tickets for the ENTIRE UK Light At The End Of The Tunnel tour (see www.marillion.com/tour for dates). If you are unable to use your prize, then we'll send you a load of new album merchandise when it's available.

You have until Friday 3rd September to get your entries in and we'll notify the winner shortly after.

Please note that any multiple entries will be discarded.

Good luck!

h, Mark, Ian, Steve, Pete & The Racket Records Team

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1525 on: August 31, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »
As usual, Marc is on it!

Offline DTA

« Reply #1526 on: August 31, 2021, 01:18:41 PM »
Any guesses?

I’m going with A House Built In Darkness. I’m thinking the email address having “light” in it is a clue.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1527 on: August 31, 2021, 02:24:30 PM »
Any guesses?

I’m going with A House Built In Darkness. I’m thinking the email address having “light” in it is a clue.

They did call the upcoming tour the Light at the End of the Tunnel Tour (presumably due to coming out of COVID restrictions, etc.), which might be where the light part came from. But maybe they decided to tie the album title into the tour theme too. I saw someone else suggest A Hope Born in Daylight.

I'm wondering if anyone will actually guess it right though. It could be (almost) anything!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1528 on: August 31, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
So Dave Meegan was back on Steve Hogarth's podcast this week, and one of the interesting things he talked about was how Pete had a new lease on life when the band reconvened for the Anoraknophobia sessions. Pete had been in a serious biking accident in early 1999 and had to have his leg reconstructed, and during the course of his recovery he gave up drinking. Apparently this sort of reinvigorated him creatively and also made him somewhat easier to work with, and both H and Meegan talked about how much more involved he was in the overall musical direction of the band from that point on. I do think you can see him being a bit more prominent bass wise on those albums, but I also think this included being more involved in the arrangements and expanding on the other guys' musical ideas. It's interesting too because the first Transatlantic album also happened in the interim between the accident and Anorak (as did most of the recording of Marillion.com). I had heard him talk a little bit about how he used to drink too much in the past, and I vaguely recall reading about the accident in the past, but I hadn't realized how the accident lead to his sobriety and to some extent to the rejuvenation of Marillion in the 2000s. It's possible things wouldn't have worked out as well in Transatlantic without it as well.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1529 on: August 31, 2021, 08:08:13 PM »
So Dave Meegan was back on Steve Hogarth's podcast this week, and one of the interesting things he talked about was how Pete had a new lease on life when the band reconvened for the Anoraknophobia sessions. Pete had been in a serious biking accident in early 1999 and had to have his leg reconstructed, and during the course of his recovery he gave up drinking. Apparently this sort of reinvigorated him creatively and also made him somewhat easier to work with, and both H and Meegan talked about how much more involved he was in the overall musical direction of the band from that point on. I do think you can see him being a bit more prominent bass wise on those albums, but I also think this included being more involved in the arrangements and expanding on the other guys' musical ideas. It's interesting too because the first Transatlantic album also happened in the interim between the accident and Anorak (as did most of the recording of Marillion.com). I had heard him talk a little bit about how he used to drink too much in the past, and I vaguely recall reading about the accident in the past, but I hadn't realized how the accident lead to his sobriety and to some extent to the rejuvenation of Marillion in the 2000s. It's possible things wouldn't have worked out as well in Transatlantic without it as well.

I didn't know that story, thanks for that!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: September 01, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »

I didn't know that either; I know for me, Pete was always my least favorite member of Marillion, and I remember when I first got into the band (with Misplaced Childhood) my friend and I would sometimes make fun of him for being the little kid tagging along after his older brothers.  I also didn't care for his vocals; that part in Fugazi is lame AF to this day, if you ask me.     

Having said that, through his work in Transatlantic, I've reached a real appreciation for him and he may actually be my favorite member of the band now. 

Did he say anything about perhaps working with the band again?   Other than Season's End, the Meegan records are my favorite from the Hogarth era.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1531 on: September 01, 2021, 09:00:54 AM »
They're still friendly with Meegan, but Mike Hunter is their in-house producer for the foreseeable future.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline HOF

« Reply #1532 on: September 01, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »

I didn't know that either; I know for me, Pete was always my least favorite member of Marillion, and I remember when I first got into the band (with Misplaced Childhood) my friend and I would sometimes make fun of him for being the little kid tagging along after his older brothers.  I also didn't care for his vocals; that part in Fugazi is lame AF to this day, if you ask me.     

Having said that, through his work in Transatlantic, I've reached a real appreciation for him and he may actually be my favorite member of the band now. 

Did he say anything about perhaps working with the band again?   Other than Season's End, the Meegan records are my favorite from the Hogarth era.

It was sort of mentioned in passing that he had taken a hiatus from music after Marbles. I kind of got the impression he may be more or less retired.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: September 01, 2021, 11:45:57 AM »
They're still friendly with Meegan, but Mike Hunter is their in-house producer for the foreseeable future.

:tdwn

Haha.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1534 on: September 02, 2021, 03:59:47 PM »

That's pretty interesting. I honestly don't know much about the guys in that band (besides h who released an autobiography) despite being a fan for 20+ years so this is something I've never heard.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1535 on: September 03, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1536 on: September 20, 2021, 06:34:49 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1537 on: September 20, 2021, 10:44:35 PM »
in the latest newsletter, H talks about the lyrical side of the new record.

Not surprised.

20th September 2021 - An Hour Before It's Dark Update

Hello everyone,

"An Hour Before it’s Dark"

It would seem that much of the foreboding in our last album FEAR turned out to be well-founded. ..

For this one I set out to avoid writing about the pandemic at all costs because I thought every other artist would be. When push came to shove though, it was impossible not to reference it. It has become part of life so there’s no ignoring it creatively just as there’s no ignoring it, period.

However, the pandemic isn’t our biggest problem, the mass extinction and the climate-gone-mad is where we really need to blow our economies - personal and national.

We’re going to have to save the earth whether we’re hippies or billionaires. That’s got to be our number 1 priority. We’re gonna have to be hard on ourselves. It was this thought that shaped the overall lyrical arc of this album.

Despite the bleak concept, musically it’s rich and perhaps our most upbeat work for many years.

(There is also a love song to Leonard Cohen and a song about a big diamond).

h

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: September 21, 2021, 06:49:39 AM »
Wow.  I was considering getting the pre-sale version, but that's doing nothing to make me want to drop $50 clams.   I very much am not a fan of the strident, preachy Steve Hogarth.   :(

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1539 on: September 22, 2021, 07:54:02 AM »
Songs on the new album:
1. Be Hard On Yourself 
2. Murder Machines
3. Reprogram the Gene
4. The Crow and the Nightingale
5. Sierra Leone
6. Care

Read more here - https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillion-reveal-song-titles-for-new-album-an-hour-before-its-dark

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!