Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 230695 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1365 on: August 26, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
I got laid off last Friday and I’m taking a few days at home. (I’m a union electrician, so I should be able to go back out fairly soon)

But this morning I’m kicking back and watching the “sackcloth and greasepaint” documentary from the new deluxe edition of Script. And it immediately struck me that all the rest of the bandmembers will refer to Fish as Fish. But Mick Pointer has only spoken of “Derek Dick”. He’s done it three times now and I don’t think he’s said Fish even once. It just makes me wonder if there’s a story behind that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1366 on: August 26, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »
Actually, the more I read about it, sounds like Fish and Mick we are really the two that had a problem with one another. And obviously, we all know who was bound to win that one.

Still, it seems somewhat comical to me that Mick refuses to address him by his stage name to this day.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1367 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:26 PM »
Actually, the more I read about it, sounds like Fish and Mick we are really the two that had a problem with one another. And obviously, we all know who was bound to win that one.

Still, it seems somewhat comical to me that Mick refuses to address him by his stage name to this day.

I’m passing along hearsay from the Marillion forum, but Mark Kelly apparently mentioned in a recent interview that Mick refused to be in the same room as Fish for the documentary. So definitely still bad blood.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1368 on: August 26, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
I will say that it does seem like it’s fish that pushes the narrative that Mick Pointer wasn’t a good enough drummer. But I’m not necessarily sure I’m buying it. they had already replaced two members of the band fairly quickly because they knew that from a talent standpoint they just weren’t up to the level they wanted to be at. and yet in spite of that fact, Mick managed to stay in the band for another year or two. It just doesn’t add up. It sounds to me more like there were some extreme personal differences between Mick and Fish, and the acrimony was going to tear the band apart. but rather than say that he and Mick just hated each other and airing out the dirty laundry, Fish chose to take a stab at Mick’s playing ability. He even takes another couched stab at it in this documentary by insinuating that the producer had to spend far more time working with Mick to get it right than anybody else in the band. So whatever was the cause, it sounds like the bad blood continues in both directions to this day.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1369 on: August 26, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
On the subject of Marillion drummers, Ian Moseley cracking me up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEXPxB1n2H0/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1370 on: August 26, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm not saying I'm an expert, nor that I was there, but it's been the story for almost 35 years now that it was a matter of upgrading the band.   I think that others in the band felt the same way.  Ian Mosley WAS an upgrade. 

But the reality is, Fish was a dick as well as a Dick.   He sacked his best friend and the guy that got him into the band (Diz Minnitt) and they were hungry to be more than the Marquee house band.   I have no doubt that it was complicated, and was in part based on his drumming, and in part based on Fish being more important to the band, and in part based on Fish pretending he was the de facto leader of the band. 

I don't put too much stock in him lasting a year beyond Jelliman and Minnitt.  He was a founding member, and the band gave him options he didn't take up.  He also quit the business for almost ten years before forming Arena.

“If you had walked in during the drum recording, it would have been quite stressful,” says Fish. “There had been issues with Mick Pointer’s drumming around the time of MarketSquare Heroes, and when Nick Tauber came in, the first thing he said was, ‘We’ve got a problem with Mick Pointer‘. People tried to deal with it in a subtle way: ‘Mick, do you think you could take some drum lessons to discover some different aspects to drumming?’. That went down like sick in a space suit. That brought an added tension to things. Everybody was walking on eggshells. There was a lot of animosity from Mick towards the rest of the band. He thought he was being betrayed, but he was still in the band. People wanted us to get rid of Mick before we did Script…, but the band stuck by him.” (https://www.loudersound.com/features/marillion-the-story-behind-script-for-a-jester-s-tear)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1371 on: August 26, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
That clarifies things a bit.  But one glaring difference is that Diz was interviewed as well and made it pretty clear that he carried no negative feelings whatsoever anymore.   I *think* I even heard hints that he and Fish have long since buried the hatchet and are (at least somewhat) friends to this day.   But that could just be because they had been best buds before and it doesn't sound like there was that pre-existing camaraderie in Mick's case.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: August 27, 2020, 08:27:55 AM »
That clarifies things a bit.  But one glaring difference is that Diz was interviewed as well and made it pretty clear that he carried no negative feelings whatsoever anymore.   I *think* I even heard hints that he and Fish have long since buried the hatchet and are (at least somewhat) friends to this day.   But that could just be because they had been best buds before and it doesn't sound like there was that pre-existing camaraderie in Mick's case.

Yeah, there was a tweet not long ago - within the last six months - from Fish celebrating Diz; birthday or some shit.  They lost touch while Marillion was on the way up, but have reconnected.

As for Mick, remember, he was a founding member, so he and Steve (and Brian Jelliman) were together well before Fish joined.   Fish and Diz joined together, then Mark and Pete phased in as their gigs got bigger (locally).  Those Marquee gigs are really what broke them, and they went international.  But to the rest of the band, Fish was the point-man of the band.  The Marquee was his hangout, and he was the mouth piece of the band.  So when Fish pointed the finger at Pointer - pun intended - there was at least some ruthlessness in the face of fame kind of thing.  Not that different than Maiden, in some ways (there are actually a LOT of parallels between Marillion and Maiden, outside of the music). 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1373 on: August 29, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »

I’m passing along hearsay from the Marillion forum, but Mark Kelly apparently mentioned in a recent interview that Mick refused to be in the same room as Fish for the documentary. So definitely still bad blood.

Do you have a link for the Marillion forum? Kind of curious to read about that.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1374 on: August 29, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »

If this link works, it should be the last post on this page (no link to the interview so not sure where to find it to verify):

http://forum.marillion.com/forum/index.php?topic=9986.225

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1375 on: August 29, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »

If this link works, it should be the last post on this page (no link to the interview so not sure where to find it to verify):

http://forum.marillion.com/forum/index.php?topic=9986.225

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to register. Not sure why I wouldn't have joined before now, but I suppose it makes sense.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1376 on: August 29, 2020, 02:30:59 PM »
It’s a bit of a ghost town over there (what message board isn’t), but the current releases still tend to generate some conversation at least.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1377 on: September 04, 2020, 01:47:25 PM »
Couch Convention happening now. Now showing Marbles in the Park.

https://www.marillionweekend.com/athome/main/

Offline HOF

« Reply #1378 on: September 06, 2020, 02:37:08 PM »
Pete’s master class from the couch convention is mostly cracking me up (he shot the whole thing sideways and with the image flipped around somehow), but it’s worth it just to get to see him play Cannibal Surf Babe at the end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEzOXB8H5QB/

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1379 on: September 06, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
Brave live is so perfect. :heart

Offline HOF

« Reply #1380 on: September 07, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
Something else to come out of the convention this weekend, the first track released from Mark Kelly’s Marathon. Overall I like it. More proggy and ambitious than I expected. The lyrics are a bit wordy/awkward, but I like the singer a lot. Reminds me somewhat of Big Big Train.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ab_channel=MarkKelly%27sMarathon&fbclid=IwAR2SZ4xkAvuI9n1MfRLuh2Y-aB7FlF6sV0xzmf6aUKvYvhNTRnLohVSsydc&v=aRrs0WwOx_g

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1381 on: September 07, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »
I listened to the Marbles broadcast today whilst working. Enjoyed it. Started listening to Brave but ran out of time, will finish it later at home. The Q&A with the guy from Prog magazine was fun. I always thought H was miserable from his stage persona when I saw him (Season's End and Brave tours) but he's entertaining in this format.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1382 on: September 07, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
I listened to the Marbles broadcast today whilst working. Enjoyed it. Started listening to Brave but ran out of time, will finish it later at home. The Q&A with the guy from Prog magazine was fun. I always thought H was miserable from his stage persona when I saw him (Season's End and Brave tours) but he's entertaining in this format.

His podcast can be quite a hoot. Worth checking out for that side of H’s personality. I don’t get the sense that he’s ever taken himself all that seriously, but perhaps he has mellowed over time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1383 on: September 07, 2020, 02:20:57 PM »

His podcast can be quite a hoot. Worth checking out for that side of H’s personality. I don’t get the sense that he’s ever taken himself all that seriously, but perhaps he has mellowed over time.

Might have been coloured by my disappointment at Fish leaving, or maybe there was all that weight and pressure of replacing such an iconic band member.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: September 08, 2020, 08:25:05 AM »

I'm kind of with Lowdz.   He has his moments of "breezy", but he can veer into sanctimony and judgment pretty quick, and while I'd rarely exclude a band because we don't see eye-to-eye, it does matter HOW we disagree.   I was ripping Pearl Jam to my hard drive this weekend, and it dawned on me, Eddie's stridency can be a tad off-putting when you're not in the moment of the concert.   I think H can be that way too at times.   Then again, I've never met the man, so what do I know?   

(To be fair, there is a doc on the "Colours and Sound" DVD where he walks through many of the songs on Marbles, and he's rather charming.)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1385 on: September 08, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
I guess his stage persona can be somewhat strident in regard to the more somber/political songs they’ve done. But he’s pretty goofy both in concert and out. Like I said, listen to one of his podcast episodes. He’s just a complete goofball. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1386 on: September 08, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
Also, when I saw them do Brave it’s not a piece that lends itself to lightheartedness 😀

First time I saw him I had him down as an art school wanker - I can be very judgemental at times 😀

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1387 on: September 11, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
Mark's solo album:
https://marathonsounds.com/

There's a song on Spotify :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1388 on: September 19, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »
Pete’s master class from the couch convention is mostly cracking me up (he shot the whole thing sideways and with the image flipped around somehow), but it’s worth it just to get to see him play Cannibal Surf Babe at the end.

I thought that the solo interludes were more fun than the concerts themselves.  Ian reading from his biography, Rothery mixing drinks....Pete... Classic stuff. I didn't catch the last day except for the opening stuff and Rothery because I'm just not a Brave fan. Really bummed that Rothery push his solo album back to next year but I guess that means the new Marillion album is coming along.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1389 on: September 19, 2020, 05:17:18 PM »

I thought that the solo interludes were more fun than the concerts themselves.  Ian reading from his biography, Rothery mixing drinks....Pete... Classic stuff. I didn't catch the last day except for the opening stuff and Rothery because I'm just not a Brave fan. Really bummed that Rothery push his solo album back to next year but I guess that means the new Marillion album is coming along.

It sounds like they are going to push to finish the Marillion album in time for a release by the end of 2021, but I’m not sure how far along it really is. H mentioned on his podcast that they recently all got back together in the studio with Rothery for the first time since COVID started (he’s been staying away due to his diabetes, which is also why he’s lost a good bit of weight recently). The impression I got was that progress is being made, but they always work slowly so who knows.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1390 on: October 03, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »

It sounds like they are going to push to finish the Marillion album in time for a release by the end of 2021, but I’m not sure how far along it really is. H mentioned on his podcast that they recently all got back together in the studio with Rothery for the first time since COVID started (he’s been staying away due to his diabetes, which is also why he’s lost a good bit of weight recently). The impression I got was that progress is being made, but they always work slowly so who knows.

I don't know how far along the new Marillion album is either, but if it was coming along they probably would have said something by now.

Heard something interesting on the last Fish on Friday broadcast. Fish was talking with Ian Mosely (can't remember when) and Ian told him that the band really doesn't speak to each other much other when they are off on their own....Only when there is band business involved. I guess that shouldn't be all that surprising given that everyone is older and has their own lives which is typically normal, but I guess it struck me that they aren't all really close mates.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1391 on: October 03, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
Funny that ytserush should mention that, because I was pondering the concept of band chemistry and bands being friends for the last few days. And it occurred to me that often (not always) the reason a band will put out some of their best work at the beginning is because it is usually at that point where everyone is hanging out together, they are friends, and that atmosphere creates good chemistry. Yes, good art can also be produced under tensions as well...but it doesn’t seem too often that something amazing comes from a distant group that has grown indifferent to one another beyond a working relationship.

I also think that’s a big reason why Rush was able to release one of their most highly regarded albums at the end of their career. It was BECAUSE they were best friends who enjoyed each other’s company and truly loved working together. Not sure if I can think of any other rock band with the internal friendship that Rush had.

But this whole thing might be for another thread

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1392 on: October 03, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
Funny that ytserush should mention that, because I was pondering the concept of band chemistry and bands being friends for the last few days. And it occurred to me that often (not always) the reason a band will put out some of their best work at the beginning is because it is usually at that point where everyone is hanging out together, they are friends, and that atmosphere creates good chemistry. Yes, good art can also be produced under tensions as well...but it doesn’t seem too often that something amazing comes from a distant group that has grown indifferent to one another beyond a working relationship.

I also think that’s a big reason why Rush was able to release one of their most highly regarded albums at the end of their career. It was BECAUSE they were best friends who enjoyed each other’s company and truly loved working together. Not sure if I can think of any other rock band with the internal friendship that Rush had.

I was thinking the exact same thing about Rush. Even during the roughest times in their career, the fact that they were all close friends is probably what kept them together and moving forward. Then again it might be easier to maintain close friendships in a band with only 3 members as opposed to a band with 5 like Marillion.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #1393 on: October 03, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »

I don't know how far along the new Marillion album is either, but if it was coming along they probably would have said something by now.

Heard something interesting on the last Fish on Friday broadcast. Fish was talking with Ian Mosely (can't remember when) and Ian told him that the band really doesn't speak to each other much other when they are off on their own....Only when there is band business involved. I guess that shouldn't be all that surprising given that everyone is older and has their own lives which is typically normal, but I guess it struck me that they aren't all really close mates.

I don’t know if they are or aren’t close, but on his podcast H frequently mentions how well they get along and that everyone in the band/organization are genuinely great people. It may be that they stick to a more or less business relationship, but he described a recent session at Racket where they all reconvened to record but Mike Hunter’s car broke down so they all sat around and had coffee and chatted/caught up instead.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1394 on: October 05, 2020, 02:03:27 AM »
I always thought H was miserable from his stage persona when I saw him (Season's End and Brave tours) but he's entertaining in this format.

Yeah, I have a mate who finds H miserable - he's not, anything but, he just has a very dry sense of humour. He's trying to be funny and I guess some people do interpret that as miserable.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: October 05, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »

We should have a thread on this, because I think just the opposite.  I think some of my LEAST favorite albums are made when all members of the band are all kumbaya and cozy.  I think it is just as likely to breed complacency and laze than it is "good music".

For me, Marillion is still, largely, chasing the first four albums, and that period is WELL documented.  They weren't best friends.  Fish was an outsider, in geography, age and temperament.   He has written thousands of words about how they were a gang, not "best mates" but with an attitude of "taking on the world".   

Pearl Jam; Stone and Jeff - best friends by many accounts - tried and got close, but no cigar (Green River, MLB, TOTD) and only hit it when the outsider - Eddie Vedder - joined, and only REALLY hit their "RnRHoF" stride when Eddie took over the band.  You read about the recording of their middle period albums, and almost every one had a moment of "the band almost broke up".  On PJ20, Stone even admits it (and doesn't look happy about doing it) when he says "it went from my band to Eddie's band, and I had a choice.  Go with it, or leave."

Jagger/Richards

U2; Achtung Baby, arguably their best album, was acrimonious at best.  Another "I thought the band was over" album.

Sabbath.  Maiden (Bruce and Steve).  Kiss.  Aerosmith (The Toxic Twins).   Deep Purple (Gillan and Blackmore; hell, EVERYONE and Blackmore).   DT (Mike and James).   The Kinks.  Oasis.   Motley Crue.  Van Halen.    Yes.  The Police (though they are friends now).   

I think the greatest of bands have to have mutual RESPECT, but they don't have to be best friends.  I think that sometimes even comes in the way; Rush is the exception that proves the rule (look at the Snakes and Arrows doc, during the recording of... I think it's "The Way The Wind Blows", and Geddy and Alex wanted something different for the drums, and they had Nick do the dirty job of telling Neal, who wasn't at all happy, but their mutual respect carried them through.

I think the only other band like Rush is Genesis, and it wasn't always THAT way either; they found their tension and their motivation from other places (members leaving, largely, as well as band members individual successes). 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1396 on: October 11, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »

Didn't mean to suggest there was any acrimony in the band.  No doubt the dynamic changes over time when you approach the longevity these guys have. And of course I've always thought of Rush as the gold standard, so I guess that might have figured into why I was surprised.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1397 on: November 04, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »
Listening to Clutching at Straws (2019 remix version) after having heard a fan podcast about it last night. It’s such an amazing album on every level. It’s Fish’s finest lyrical work, and every member of the band seems on top of their game. I don’t think Rothery gets enough credit for his work on this. He’s all over it, and his solos have a raw energy that isn’t alway there for him. Almost like given the tension between him and Fish during the making of they were trying to one up each other.

This 2019 mix tripped me up a bit when I first heard it, but overall it sounds really good. The drums are a bit smaller for lack of a better word (I think they were intentionally trying to take some of the 80s-ness out of them). I love how they added the guitar solo back in to Going Under (another example of Rothery pushing it on this album) which was previously only available as an alternate mix.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1398 on: November 07, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
Listening to Clutching at Straws (2019 remix version) after having heard a fan podcast about it last night. It’s such an amazing album on every level. It’s Fish’s finest lyrical work, and every member of the band seems on top of their game. I don’t think Rothery gets enough credit for his work on this. He’s all over it, and his solos have a raw energy that isn’t alway there for him. Almost like given the tension between him and Fish during the making of they were trying to one up each other.

This 2019 mix tripped me up a bit when I first heard it, but overall it sounds really good. The drums are a bit smaller for lack of a better word (I think they were intentionally trying to take some of the 80s-ness out of them). I love how they added the guitar solo back in to Going Under (another example of Rothery pushing it on this album) which was previously only available as an alternate mix.

Tried to get into the remix when it came out but I vastly prefer the original mix when I listen to the studio album. At this point, I'm more inclined to just pick a live show from the tour (Usually Milan) and get lost in that. I'm not sure I know of a Marillion live show that I don't like, but those Clutching shows are really special and are kind of a "Best of" of the Fish era.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1399 on: November 14, 2020, 06:54:20 PM »
it's not Friday anymore, but I just noticed they added on Bandcamp
 "With Friends at St. David's" which includes "Zeparated Out," which I guess isn't too new, but still not played too often live.

Also "Glass Half Full" which is a 69-track making-of Marbles, lol.
https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.com/album/racket-56-glass-half-full-the-making-of-marbles