Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232730 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1155 on: December 06, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
I ordered from Fish too; I got the EP within about three days (Edinburgh to Hartford, CT; that's INSANE.)   But he posted a picture of his wife with a table full of Clutching sets, so I think they are coming soon!

They day after I saw that photo the copy I got from Marillion showed up. I wasn't getting antsy about it until I saw that photo. Fortunately I only had to wait a day.

That EP is a grower.  I really like it now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1156 on: December 11, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
I ordered from Fish too; I got the EP within about three days (Edinburgh to Hartford, CT; that's INSANE.)   But he posted a picture of his wife with a table full of Clutching sets, so I think they are coming soon!

They day after I saw that photo the copy I got from Marillion showed up. I wasn't getting antsy about it until I saw that photo. Fortunately I only had to wait a day.

That EP is a grower.  I really like it now.

Fish's signed copy arrived yesterday.

Offline hockeydude25

« Reply #1157 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
Bitter Suite from misplaced childhood is an incredible song.  So atmospheric.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1158 on: March 19, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »

The whole album is a stone cold masterpiece.....especially live.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2019, 06:35:26 AM »

No doubt, and then the band goes and tops it with Clutching (As of yesterday, a Top Three Stadler album of all time).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1160 on: March 20, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
I've come around to liking some of Marillion's music, after initially being bored to tears with it, and I would agree that Bitter Suite is very good. The back-to-back of that and Heart of Lothian is, for me, the highlight of Misplaced Childhood.  The rest of the album is solid, with some good moments like the end of Blind Curve, but I think I have a tough time connecting with Fish's vocals.  There are too many moments where I feel like the vocal melodies hold the song back, almost like a more emotional delivery could have really made a difference; Fish's style is too sterile for me, more often than not.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1161 on: March 20, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
I've come around to liking some of Marillion's music, after initially being bored to tears with it, and I would agree that Bitter Suite is very good. The back-to-back of that and Heart of Lothian is, for me, the highlight of Misplaced Childhood.  The rest of the album is solid, with some good moments like the end of Blind Curve, but I think I have a tough time connecting with Fish's vocals.  There are too many moments where I feel like the vocal melodies hold the song back, almost like a more emotional delivery could have really made a difference; Fish's style is too sterile for me, more often than not.

If you replace "Fish" with "Hogarth", that's me, even if the moments where Hogarth shines eclipses those of Fish.  Fish couldn't sing "The Space" on his best day, but there's something about the passion and fire of "White Russian" or "Wide Boys" is really satisfying.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1162 on: March 22, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »

No doubt, and then the band goes and tops it with Clutching (As of yesterday, a Top Three Stadler album of all time).

Not going to argue that having repeated listened to it and shows from that tour on many many many late night drives back home from somewhere.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1163 on: March 22, 2019, 08:57:10 PM »

If you replace "Fish" with "Hogarth", that's me, even if the moments where Hogarth shines eclipses those of Fish.  Fish couldn't sing "The Space" on his best day, but there's something about the passion and fire of "White Russian" or "Wide Boys" is really satisfying.

Fish can't sing, but that really isn't the point is it......

Hogarth has gotten better with age even though he still shouldn't touch any Fish songs now just as Fish shouldn't touch any Marillion songs anymore either.

And with the track record since then, there's really no reason to bother.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1164 on: April 25, 2019, 03:52:21 PM »
bump.

I've never seen this before.

Fish with Phil Collins and Paul Carrack at Nelson Mandela's 70th Birthday celebration at Wembley in 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzpC5cYXbI

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1165 on: April 28, 2019, 12:49:02 PM »
bump.

Fish with Phil Collins and Paul Carrack at Nelson Mandela's 70th Birthday celebration at Wembley in 1988.

Forgot about this one. Yet one more reminder about how big this band really was in Europe back then.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1166 on: April 28, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »
bump.

what, no love for Mark Brzezicki?

also, who wore it better, Fish or Bam Bam Bigelow?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1167 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
bump.

what, no love for Mark Brzezicki?

also, who wore it better, Fish or Bam Bam Bigelow?

Big Country is another great band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1168 on: May 11, 2019, 06:05:27 PM »
Listened to Somewhere Else again earlier today and realized I don't have too much from that tour.

Is there a complete tour date listing online somewhere?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1169 on: July 18, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »
bump.

I always knew about the tour with Rush in 1986, but I am almost shocked to learn Marillion also opened for Rush for 4 of 5 nights in 1983 at Radio City Music Hall, lol.  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie95bwwZbfs&fbclid=IwAR1YtVtut6TRXnQ3p9HDinUfZv36p5rUAJzPsIJ_mPntADWQm7ljU73BWRE&app=desktop

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1170 on: July 24, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »
bump.

I always knew about the tour with Rush in 1986, but I am almost shocked to learn Marillion also opened for Rush for 4 of 5 nights in 1983 at Radio City Music Hall, lol.  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie95bwwZbfs&fbclid=IwAR1YtVtut6TRXnQ3p9HDinUfZv36p5rUAJzPsIJ_mPntADWQm7ljU73BWRE&app=desktop

Yes they did. If I'm not mistaken three of those five might have surfaced although the sound quality leaves a bit to be desired.  Did they just give up on the fifth night? (now I need to check my Marillion bios.) There is some audible negativity on the recordings but not as much as the legend seems to indicate (Though if there were visual incidents going on the audio would have captured that obviously.)

To this day I don't think Fish has talked much about it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1171 on: September 30, 2019, 08:14:20 AM »
bump.

WITH FRIENDS FROM THE ORCHESTRA can be ordered now.

"PLEASE NOTE, WE EXPECT TO BEGIN SHIPPING THIS ITEM ON OR AROUND 9TH OCTOBER."

http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/intactcd19.htm

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1172 on: October 01, 2019, 02:11:37 AM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1173 on: October 02, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »
bump.

Woke up  yesterday to my wife saying there was a "new" album and she already preordered it.

Had no idea this was even a concept.

I guess they need a placeholder while they think about what to do next. I'd love to see a tour with an orchestra but there's no way anything like this hits the US.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1174 on: October 02, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »
bump.

Woke up  yesterday to my wife saying there was a "new" album and she already preordered it.

I guess they need a placeholder while they think about what to do next. I'd love to see a tour with an orchestra but there's no way anything like this hits the US.

Honestly, this is a slightly better idea than the acoustic/stripped down album they released several years ago. Now that they've done both of those ideas, what's next on the checklist of non-new-material-studio-album cliches they can do? All covers album?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1175 on: October 03, 2019, 02:43:42 AM »
bump.

Honestly, this is a slightly better idea than the acoustic/stripped down album they released several years ago. Now that they've done both of those ideas, what's next on the checklist of non-new-material-studio-album cliches they can do? All covers album?

-Marc.

I hope not. There are very few examples where I love stripped down/unplugged/re-arranged versions of own songs or cover albums.
Pain Of Salvation's Falling Home has some awesome songs (Holy Diver? Holy shit!), Scratch My Back by Gabriel is a masterpiece, Cover Version by Steven Wilson is pretty cool... But apart from that... I don't need that kind of stuff.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1176 on: October 03, 2019, 05:55:49 AM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1177 on: October 05, 2019, 10:56:43 AM »
interview with the Steve's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=nkrMJS-8ctQ

Thanks. Seems so strange to hear them acknowledge that the band may not be around forever, but that is the reality.  Can't wait for Steve's next solo album. It's going to be awesome!  Don't know how he'll top his last one but I'm sure he will.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1178 on: October 05, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
bump.

-Marc.

I really didn't like Less Is More much.  Right there with Brave at the bottom for me.

Although I should really pull it off of the shelf again to see if I still feel that way. It's been easily more than a year since I've heard it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1179 on: November 02, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
Anyone get "With Friends From The Orchestra?"

I honestly didn't think it would be this good. It's kicking my ass.  Of course Europe and the UK get to witness this stuff live.

Hopefully we'll at least see a DVD out of it.

Have to admit I was a bit skeptical because Less Is More didn't do a lot for me, but this is pretty amazing.  Even The Hollow Man sounds halfway decent and I'm no fan of Brave.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1180 on: November 02, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
Whoah, wait a sec, you don't like Brave?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1181 on: November 02, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »

I honestly didn't think it would be this good. It's kicking my ass.  Of course Europe and the UK get to witness this stuff live.

Have to admit I was a bit skeptical because Less Is More didn't do a lot for me, but this is pretty amazing.  Even The Hollow Man sounds halfway decent and I'm no fan of Brave.
I was hoping it'd stream somewhere, but haven't seen it yet so I may have to buy it outright. Estonia brought me to tears, so I can see the rest of it being just as stunning.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1182 on: November 06, 2019, 07:11:55 PM »

I was hoping it'd stream somewhere, but haven't seen it yet so I may have to buy it outright. Estonia brought me to tears, so I can see the rest of it being just as stunning.

It's pretty stunning.  I haven't even bothered cracking open the Afraid Of Sunlight Deluxe Edition yet.  Hoping they record one of the live shows because that's about the only way I'm going to get to experience it. Rothery just scorches the earth on this record.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1183 on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »

It's a snoozefest.

The only real blemish on their record other than maybe Less Is More.  Warmed to like about half of Afraid Of Sunlight which is why I sprung for the deluxe edition (for the unreleased material mainly.)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1184 on: November 07, 2019, 03:31:16 AM »

It's a snoozefest.

Wow. I mean, wow. I get that we all have different tastes, and that we all hear music differently and everything, but you are just... wrong. So very wrong.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1185 on: November 07, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »

It's a snoozefest.

Wow. I mean, wow. I get that we all have different tastes, and that we all hear music differently and everything, but you are just... wrong. So very wrong.

no use arguing personal taste, but it's my favorite album ever made.

But then again, I can't stand Radiohead and OK Computer, and find Fear of a Blank Planet to be incredibly overrated and boring.

So I can kind of see where ysterush is coming from.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1186 on: November 17, 2019, 12:27:13 AM »
new interview with Mark Kelly.

'Script/early days documentary included with the Remaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Ly2h2lnqE

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: November 17, 2019, 12:53:49 AM »
Not quite pertinent to the conversation happening in the thread now, but I was listening to Marbles this morning and once again was completely blindsided by how good this album is. So much that I actually decided to make this post here just to acknowledge this. Man, what an album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1188 on: November 17, 2019, 11:15:38 AM »

It's a snoozefest.

no use arguing personal taste, but it's my favorite album ever made.

But then again, I can't stand Radiohead and OK Computer, and find Fear of a Blank Planet to be incredibly overrated and boring.

So I can kind of see where ysterush is coming from.

For what it's worth, I'd take Fear Of A Blank Planet over Brave any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's the only Porcupine Tree CD I own.

As far a Brave goes, I respect the attempt, but it does nothing for me.  I stopped my annual listen to it (to see if anything changed) more than 5 years ago.  I'd much rather listen to something I enjoy.

The only total clunker they've recorded. (if you don't count Less Is More.)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1189 on: November 17, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
Not quite pertinent to the conversation happening in the thread now, but I was listening to Marbles this morning and once again was completely blindsided by how good this album is. So much that I actually decided to make this post here just to acknowledge this. Man, what an album.
Well, it is the greatest album ever made.... :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar