Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232702 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1120 on: June 05, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
I love Fish, seen him three times solo, but I just think he's a spent force creatively at this point).

I feel pretty confident in saying you haven't listened to Feast of Consequences or The Movable Feast (The live album) yet. I think he's at a creative peak myself.

Yeah, the High Wood Suite is one of his strongest pieces ever.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1121 on: June 06, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »
I have FoC (despite what I said, I support Fish as an artist, and while I don't buy everything, I do try to buy his main releases just as a show of support), and it's okay.   I'd be more than willing to go back and re-listen to it.   13th Star was pretty good.  I liked it very much even if the surrounding drama seemed to overwhelm it a little bit.   

As for Afraid of Sunlight, I was with you on the "Cannibal Surf Babe"; it was for many years the "Whodunnit?" of the Marillion catalogue for me.  Then I dug into the song and what they were going for - a Beach Boys pastiche with a rather dissonant lyric about, well, I'm not 1000% sure, beyond the Brian Wilson references - and it made a lot more sense.   I actually like it now.   That whole album is WAYY deeper than it seems on the surface, what with the lyrical content (generally about the down- or dark-side of fame) and the sonic homages (one song, I think it's King, is in a mono "Wall of Sound" arrangement, ala Phil Spector)...  it's really grown on me.   

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1122 on: June 06, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »

As for Afraid of Sunlight, I was with you on the "Cannibal Surf Babe"; it was for many years the "Whodunnit?" of the Marillion catalogue for me.  Then I dug into the song and what they were going for - a Beach Boys pastiche with a rather dissonant lyric about, well, I'm not 1000% sure, beyond the Brian Wilson references - and it made a lot more sense.   I actually like it now.   That whole album is WAYY deeper than it seems on the surface, what with the lyrical content (generally about the down- or dark-side of fame) and the sonic homages (one song, I think it's King, is in a mono "Wall of Sound" arrangement, ala Phil Spector)...  it's really grown on me.

Beyond You is the one mixed in mono.  Dave Meegan really nailed the Phil Spector wall of sound vibe. 

I've loved AOS since my first listen on a bus in the Netherlands in the summer of 1995.  One of my favorite music listening experiences happened a few years later when I got to listen to it on headphones while driving from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon.  In the remaster liner notes Hogarth talks about how the album sort of drifted off in the general direction of Arizona.  Listening to it while driving through Northern Arizona, I had to agree.  I'd also like to listen to it while driving from Los Angeles to Vegas.  I think it would be the perfect soundtrack for that. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1123 on: June 12, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
I picked up the Steven Wilson remix of Brave this past weekend, and I'm listening to it for the first time this morning.  It's interesting to hear this after being so familiar with the original album mix.  It's interesting to hear his take on things, and hear little bits and pieces he brought out that Dave Meegan either didn't use or kept in the background.  I watched the documentary on it last night as well, and man, if I could have been a fly on the wall during those sessions...

Brave is in my top 5 all time favorite albums.  I love the songs, I love the album, I love all the little bits of things they did to add to the vibe of the record.  I really think they made a masterpiece.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1124 on: June 12, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
I'm always so jealous of bands that were able to record in the 80's/90's. I know Brave was recorded in a castle in France somewhere and the band just stayed in the castle and utilized the vibe/ambience of the place to help influence the recording. Or Dream Theater living at Beartracks in beautiful upstate NY. I record in a goddamn bedroom.

I really want to hear the Brave remix but I just can't get myself to spend the money for something I already own.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1125 on: June 12, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
I'm always so jealous of bands that were able to record in the 80's/90's. I know Brave was recorded in a castle in France somewhere and the band just stayed in the castle and utilized the vibe/ambience of the place to help influence the recording.

I can definitely hear that in the title track..

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1126 on: June 13, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »
I have FoC (despite what I said, I support Fish as an artist, and while I don't buy everything, I do try to buy his main releases just as a show of support), and it's okay.   I'd be more than willing to go back and re-listen to it.   13th Star was pretty good.  I liked it very much even if the surrounding drama seemed to overwhelm it a little bit.   

Aside from the obvious. A lot of those songs are pretty amazing live after some repeated listens.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1127 on: June 13, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »
I picked up the Steven Wilson remix of Brave this past weekend, and I'm listening to it for the first time this morning.  It's interesting to hear this after being so familiar with the original album mix.  It's interesting to hear his take on things, and hear little bits and pieces he brought out that Dave Meegan either didn't use or kept in the background.  I watched the documentary on it last night as well, and man, if I could have been a fly on the wall during those sessions...

Brave is in my top 5 all time favorite albums.  I love the songs, I love the album, I love all the little bits of things they did to add to the vibe of the record.  I really think they made a masterpiece.

This is the only Marillion album I will not be reacquiring.

I should probably sell off my promo cassette now that I think of it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1128 on: June 13, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »
I love Fish, seen him three times solo, but I just think he's a spent force creatively at this point).

I feel pretty confident in saying you haven't listened to Feast of Consequences or The Movable Feast (The live album) yet. I think he's at a creative peak myself.

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever have the experience of soaking that in at a venue.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1129 on: June 28, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
brief update on the final Fish album "Weltschmerz"
https://fishmusic.scot/weltschmerz-updates-waverley-steps-lyric-section/

50 minutes of music have been written, approximately.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1130 on: June 29, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »
That looks very promising!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1131 on: June 29, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »

It is awesome! Even if one of the tracks sounds like the theme from Gilligans island!  :lol
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1132 on: June 30, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
brief update on the final Fish album "Weltschmerz"
https://fishmusic.scot/weltschmerz-updates-waverley-steps-lyric-section/

50 minutes of music have been written, approximately.

I hope he takes his time with it. I'd want the last one to be as best as it can be.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1133 on: August 14, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
I touched the lizard...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1134 on: August 14, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
I touched the lizard...

with the crimson veil?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1135 on: August 14, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1136 on: September 06, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Clutching At Straws Deluxe Edition. This is a remix and remaster.

https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/remast43.htm

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1137 on: September 06, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
Ordered mine today from Marillion”s site.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1138 on: September 06, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »

I don't drool over much these days, but the full Edinburgh gig has me all wet.

12 weeks away.....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: September 09, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »
Is that unreleased?  Was there another gig in Edinburgh released? Or tracks from it?  It sounds familiar, but I didn't see it in my 1,429 Marillion CDs.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1140 on: September 09, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
my 1,429 Marillion CDs.
I know this is an exaggeration, but still, Marillion has over 220 official releases, including EP's, live releases, and singles. This doesn't include the over 100 bootlegs floating around out there or compilations...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1141 on: September 10, 2018, 03:22:26 AM »
my 1,429 Marillion CDs.
I know this is an exaggeration, but still, Marillion has over 220 official releases, including EP's, live releases, and singles. This doesn't include the over 100 bootlegs floating around out there or compilations...

And that's one of the reasons I love 'em. Other bands could learn a thing or two about how to release high-quality live albums to a relatively small fanbase (I'm looking at you, DT...)
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1142 on: September 10, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »

Preordered!

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: September 10, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
Preordered from Fish

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1144 on: September 12, 2018, 05:45:25 AM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1145 on: September 13, 2018, 05:34:49 PM »
Is that unreleased?  Was there another gig in Edinburgh released? Or tracks from it?  It sounds familiar, but I didn't see it in my 1,429 Marillion CDs.

A few tracks ended up on Thieving Magpie and that show may have been an edited radio broadcast. (Not near that shelf)

They have played Edinburgh quite a bit as you might expect.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1146 on: September 13, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
Preordered from Fish

As with Misplaced Childhood, I pre-ordered from both. 

Personally, I needed to have these two deluxe releases signed by everyone who was a part of it. (And yes I know the band is just doing a print. Too bad they couldn't have coordinated this better to make it work (like the print from Early Stages) but Fish will be on tour.)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1147 on: September 30, 2018, 04:16:31 PM »
So Steve Rothery Band has a gig coming up in Uden next week, and just posted this quick clip from the rehearsal. Seems they're busting out some really old stuff...

https://www.facebook.com/therealsteverothery/videos/10157851421335968/

Offline DTA

« Reply #1148 on: September 30, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
I think it’s so cool that Steve is cool with doing tons of Fish era stuff in his solo band sets. I feel like lots of musicians are hesitant about playing older material or stuff from a different era, but he seems to be embracing it and enjoying it. It’s like having two versions of Marillion but with an actual original member.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1149 on: October 04, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »
So Steve Rothery Band has a gig coming up in Uden next week, and just posted this quick clip from the rehearsal. Seems they're busting out some really old stuff...

https://www.facebook.com/therealsteverothery/videos/10157851421335968/

That's what he's been doing. He's the only one who I think should even be attempting that stuff now.

Closest he's coming to me is Mexico so I'm never going to see him.

By the way, the new Fish EP is pretty amazing, The first thing that hooked me was the live tracks and then the 3 studio tracks in reverse order. lead seems to be weaker than the others but even that is growing on me.

I need a live DVD like now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1150 on: November 04, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
Anyone get their signed Clutching print yet?  Got mine this week as a reminder that I'm going to have this in my hands in just a few weeks.

It's similar to the signed print for the Early Stages box. I just wish circumstances allowed for Fish to sign the same one. Would have been nice to have the signatures in the same place again this time, but I guess that's how it's going to have to be. I can live with Fish signing his copy. I'd have preferred Marillion do the same like they did with Misplaced Childhood, but another framed print wouldn't look bad hanging on the wall either.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:54:16 AM by ytserush »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1151 on: November 10, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »
Apparently, these are shipping early. Just got notification. Anyone get there's yet?  I think I'm going to enjoy the live show first, then dig into the documentary.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1152 on: November 26, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1153 on: December 03, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
Mark Kelly had to miss last night's show in Essen after being hit by a truck. Four broken ribs. https://www.loudersound.com/news/marillions-mark-kelly-misses-show-after-being-hit-by-truck?fbclid=IwAR1v6R4UeBzKctv7OtSCnJou01KMoLbirqLTf3RhinTMbBKhbOcp93lSJJ8

He went out for a few pints with Trewavas so I'm glad he's OK.

Edinburgh is a KILLER show.  Don't know if it beats Milan but it's in the same neighborhood. I love that intro to Fugazi. 

The doc is a bit of a letdown. The guy who wrote the first Marillion bio Mick Wall seemed to be asking "rock star" questions and Marillion aren't that.

The Clutching remix is interesting. Kind of revisionist, but it's a cool listen now and again.

That live show is the gem though for me.

Still waiting on the signed one from Fish.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: December 04, 2018, 07:30:36 AM »
I ordered from Fish too; I got the EP within about three days (Edinburgh to Hartford, CT; that's INSANE.)   But he posted a picture of his wife with a table full of Clutching sets, so I think they are coming soon!