Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232793 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1050 on: January 30, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »
is this really a "separate" tour, or an extension of the previous FEAR dates?  What makes it a new tour? 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1051 on: January 30, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
is this really a "separate" tour, or an extension of the previous FEAR dates?  What makes it a new tour?

It's an extension.  I guess you could say it's the second north american leg of the FEAR tour.   It's all new places,  not playing a single venue they hit in 2016, not even coming back to my neck of the woods, Montreal and Quebec city where they always do well.  The fans up here are hoping for a return of the Montreal MArillion Weekend in 2019, I guess we'll know in the spring.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1052 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »
edit: double post

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1053 on: January 30, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
Anyone going to the Pittsburgh show? I'm road tripping it from Connecticut. About 8 hours.

Nope. It's 5 hours away on a weeknight. Not happening.

First US Tour I've missed since those fan-funded gigs for Afraid Of Sunlight. Chose to miss that one.

I guess I choose to miss this one too, but I'd go if the circumstances allowed for it.
I totally get that. This is the first time I have EVER traveled over 3 hours for any show. A friend and I are making it a cool little road trip. Leaving early Tuesday morning, hitting Primanti Brothers for a sandwich. Having a few cold ones, seeing the show, staying overnight and heading back home early Wednesday morning.
I'm exited for the show, but equally excited to take a road trip with my best friends. Those types of trips are few and far between.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1054 on: March 23, 2018, 02:35:56 AM »
Deluxe Brave arrived earlier this, I'v been saving hearing it until today.
I popped the SW remix CD in my car and the first thing I noticed that is mastered lower than To The Bone CD that it replaced.
The mix sound bright, SR guitar stands out a little more, but I am not hearing a massive difference and I would have though that SW
would have 'meddled' too much anyway.

Gonna play the 5.1 BR tomorrow  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1055 on: March 23, 2018, 06:20:28 AM »
I popped the SW remix CD in my car and the first thing I noticed that is mastered lower than To The Bone CD that it replaced.
The mix sound bright, SR guitar stands out a little more, but I am not hearing a massive difference and I would have though that SW

If it's the same as the Misplaced Childhood set, SW did NOT do a stereo remix.   ONLY the 5.1 mix on the DVD.   I purchased the MC set thinking that SW had done the entire thing, and he didn't. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1056 on: March 23, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »

If it's the same as the Misplaced Childhood set, SW did NOT do a stereo remix.   ONLY the 5.1 mix on the DVD.   I purchased the MC set thinking that SW had done the entire thing, and he didn't.

it’s not the same as MC, there’s two cds of the studio album in this set: the steven wilson mix and the dave meegan mix.  The demos and jams from the ‘98 remaster are not included in this one. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1057 on: March 23, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
It states quite clearly on the sticker on the front, the back of the packaging and on the CD itself that it is a SW remix CD.
I wouldn't have posted about it if he wasn't responsible for the remix.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1058 on: March 23, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »
I didn't mean offence....I myself had been fooled by the label on the MC (which I felt was a tad misleading....but I'm still happy I got it)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1059 on: March 25, 2018, 12:14:27 AM »
Since receiving my copy of the Brave Deluxe set, I've been listening to the SW mix quite a bit.  I just love it, man.  It very much feels like SW took an already good mix and just breathed some new life into it. The 5.1 mix is especially a treat. 

I was fortunate enough to get to see Marillion for the first time down in Dallas this past month, and man, what a show it was.  I've been on a Marillion high/binge ever since.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: March 26, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
For those that care:   Wilson commented on this around the time of the Misplaced Childhood release (you can find the interview via Google).   To do a 5.1 mix, he HAS to do a new stereo mix.   For some, it's a radically different mix than what we previously released, in other cases it's not that different at all (and in the case of MC, it was almost exactly the same).   I don't think he named names, but it was sort of evident (as I remember it) that with Crimson, he gave the stereo mixes to Fripp, who released them because he's a completist, and released everything.   With Yes, he seemed to point the finger at the record company, who tacked on the stereo mix as a marketing gimmick, even though it wasn't that different than what came before.   He explicitly said that he wasn't contractually obligated to give the new stereo mix for MC to the band, and he felt that his work didn't improve on what Chris Kimsey did before, so he withheld it.  Apparently he didn't feel so charitable toward the original Brave mix (my CD doesn't say explicitly but it seems that Dave Meegan did the original mix).

As an aside, I don't know if there was a bridge burned or not, but it seems the band is distancing themselves from Meegan (and using Michael Hunter, who was an engineering assistant under Meegan).  It's a shame, because the work with Meegan is my favorite of the Hogarth era:   Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, Anoraknophobia, and Marbles. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1061 on: March 26, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
So not sure if anyone else saw this, but Fish was announced for Cruise to the Edge, and in his FB post, he mentions it's "the best chance since 2008 of setting up a tour in the United States and Canada.If we can make this happen I will need as much support as I can possibly get with this as it wil be a huge endeavour. Lets keep our fingers crossed."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1062 on: March 26, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
So not sure if anyone else saw this, but Fish was announced for Cruise to the Edge, and in his FB post, he mentions it's "the best chance since 2008 of setting up a tour in the United States and Canada.If we can make this happen I will need as much support as I can possibly get with this as it wil be a huge endeavour. Lets keep our fingers crossed."

I'm hoping he does pull a tour together. Of course I'd love to do the cruise again, but don't know if I'll be able to swing it next year, and seeing him again would go a long way towards not making me feel bad about missing the cruise.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1063 on: March 26, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »
I saw another post of his where it sounded like said tour would be a continuation of the CaS tour he just did, which would be just way too much for me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1064 on: March 27, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
Regarding H era, I absolutely love Brave and Marbles. Could anyone recommend what other H era albums are just like those?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1065 on: March 27, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
Regarding H era, I absolutely love Brave and Marbles. Could anyone recommend what other H era albums are just like those?

Personally, I put Anaraknophobia on the same level as those two...

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1066 on: March 27, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
I love them all but I'd say .Com, FEAR, Sounds that can't be made.
And Anaraknophobia is damn good as well. As is Afraid of Sunlight.

Oh hell, just buy them all! :lol

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1067 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
guys it's called Anoraknophobia, as in "anorak"   ;) 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1068 on: March 27, 2018, 05:34:05 PM »
Ya know....for such a weird name, I don't think missing ONE LETTER is that bad.   It's not like spell check would catch something like that.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1069 on: March 28, 2018, 06:29:44 AM »
Afraid of Sunlight is a stunner. And Radiation is underrated. But, in fairness...

Oh hell, just buy them all! :lol

...is the true correct answer here.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:53 AM »
Afraid of Sunlight is a stunner. And Radiation is underrated. But, in fairness...

AoS was my second Marillion purchase.  It's got some amazing tracks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1071 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
With the exception of cannibal surf babe, I love Afraid of sunlight, with beautiful being my favorite track on the album

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: March 28, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
With the exception of cannibal surf babe, I love Afraid of sunlight, with beautiful being my favorite track on the album

Eye to eye.. you and me.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1073 on: March 28, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
IMO stylistic wise, I guess you should go with Afraid, it is the closest from these albums. Personally I love all these mentionated albums e also Seasons End, Holidays (these two are more in Misplaced and Clutching style), This Strange Engine (middle of the road between Brave and Seasons/Holidays), and .com. I have some trouble in really like the Marillion albums after Marbles, although it has some great songs in all of them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:08:17 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »

NO!   DO NOT BUY THEM ALL.   My biggest criticism of H-era Marillion  is that it is so up and down.   If you like Season's End or Clutching you probably do NOT like "Holidays In Eden", for example.  I consider myself a pretty hardcore Marillion fan (having been a fan since MC came out the first time) and I've seen them three times in the H-era (Fish four times solo), and I even bailed on them after This Strange Engine, because it sucked so hard.  Only the curiosity of Marbles (and it's subsequent quality, in my opinion) brought me back into the fold.  And then they almost lost me again with Somewhere Else, Happiness..., and Less is Less.   

If you like Brave and Marbles, stick with the Dave Meegan produced records:   go with Afraid of Sunlight and Anoraknophobia.   Then go with Season's End.  After that, you're kind of throwing darts in the dark. I like "Sounds That Can't Be Made" and "FEAR", but there are no guarantees.  I still think Somewhere Else and Less is Less both suck hard.   Not really a fan of Holidays, even if I like a couple songs (and it translates WAY better live than on record).   Happiness... is okay, but it's basically a two-disk mood record for me.   

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1075 on: March 28, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »

NO!   DO NOT BUY THEM ALL.   My biggest criticism of H-era Marillion  is that it is so up and down.   If you like Season's End or Clutching you probably do NOT like "Holidays In Eden", for example.  I consider myself a pretty hardcore Marillion fan (having been a fan since MC came out the first time) and I've seen them three times in the H-era (Fish four times solo), and I even bailed on them after This Strange Engine, because it sucked so hard.  Only the curiosity of Marbles (and it's subsequent quality, in my opinion) brought me back into the fold.  And then they almost lost me again with Somewhere Else, Happiness..., and Less is Less.   

If you like Brave and Marbles, stick with the Dave Meegan produced records:   go with Afraid of Sunlight and Anoraknophobia.   Then go with Season's End.  After that, you're kind of throwing darts in the dark. I like "Sounds That Can't Be Made" and "FEAR", but there are no guarantees.  I still think Somewhere Else and Less is Less both suck hard.   Not really a fan of Holidays, even if I like a couple songs (and it translates WAY better live than on record).   Happiness... is okay, but it's basically a two-disk mood record for me.
Buy them all... You heard me...all of them. Each and every one!
If I had to pick my least favorite H album it would be Radiation. But buy it.
AND the song, This Strange Engine is one of the best H era songs ever written!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1076 on: March 28, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »

You are talkin my language man.

Why does it have to be so wildly all over the place with H-era? I enjoy a lot of the H stuff, but ultimately I prefer Fish, but if every H era album provided stuff on the level of Ocean cloud, then it wouldn't be such a landslide in fish's favor. And I don't mind them playing around with style, but give me something I really can sink my teeth into.

Ocean cloud, Invisible man, and brave stuff. That stuff draws me in and takes me away.

I do really dig Afraid of sunlight and Season end as well. Good stuff. I'll mess around more with Fear and sounds next. I was excited for those albums but they didn't grab me too much upon first listen.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1077 on: March 28, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »

Why does it have to be so wildly all over the place with H-era? I enjoy a lot of the H stuff, but ultimately I prefer Fish, but if every H era album provided stuff on the level of Ocean cloud, then it wouldn't be such a landslide in fish's favor. And I don't mind them playing around with style, but give me something I really can sink my teeth into.

Ocean cloud, Invisible man, and brave stuff. That stuff draws me in and takes me away.

I do really dig Afraid of sunlight and Season end as well. Good stuff. I'll mess around more with Fear and sounds next. I was excited for those albums but they didn't grab me too much upon first listen.
Meh, don't listen to Stadler. He sits around all day eating stale Cheetos and listening to bootlegs of old Gene Simmons bass solo's.

I heard no one mention the album Marillion.com
That is an amazing album! The songs House and Interior Lulu alone make it worth the purchase.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1078 on: March 28, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
 There’s quite a few converts already, but the rest of you need to delve into IQs catalog immediately. Much more consistent. And in many cases even better.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1079 on: March 28, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
There’s quite a few converts already, but the rest of you need to delve into IQs catalog immediately. Much more consistent. And in many cases even better.

Agree 100%, but to each their own.  Marillion has some really high highs that I'd put up with anything IQ put out (CaS, Brave), but yes, IQ's run from Ever to present is an unparalleled six album run.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: March 29, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »

Meh, don't listen to Stadler. He sits around all day eating stale Cheetos and listening to bootlegs of old Gene Simmons bass solo's.

That is an amazing album! The songs House and Interior Lulu alone make it worth the purchase.

This is not entirely untrue.  But in my defense, those two notes are perfect!!  (If you've ever heard a Gene Simmons bass solo, you'll get that joke). 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1081 on: March 29, 2018, 10:06:12 AM »

This is not entirely untrue.  But in my defense, those two notes are perfect!!  (If you've ever heard a Gene Simmons bass solo, you'll get that joke).
I sure do get it!  :lol My first concert was Kiss in January of 1978. I have seen them many times and I'm a fan.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1082 on: March 29, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »

Damn! My wife is slacking. She didn't tell me about this. He's repeatedly said he was done with the US. We're there! Not the boat but Philly and NY definitely.  Screw the Marillion stuff I want to Feast of Consequences live.

Rothery's band could open for him.  This is great news if he can pull it off.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1083 on: March 29, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
I saw another post of his where it sounded like said tour would be a continuation of the CaS tour he just did, which would be just way too much for me.

It would be way too much for me too, but not in a good way. I'd have to bring my favorite Clutching official boot (Milan '88) and cleanse myself.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1084 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »

Love Holidays In Eden and This Strange Engine is even better. I bailed on them as a huge collector with Brave and intentionally missed the next US Tour because of Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight. Not a fan of Less is More either, but there rest of are either masterpieces or they're in the same neighborhood as masterpieces.  But more often than not, I'd go with a live recording over a studio album anyway.