Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232667 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marillion
« Reply #980 on: September 17, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Well this is quite a surprise, Fish shared this on his FB page, it seems Lars Ulrich has a deep passion for Clutching at Straws, and even gave the album some air time and very good words on his radio show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy69_yD9HQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: September 18, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
Yeah that was nice to hear that clip.  I love that album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #982 on: September 18, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
Well this is quite a surprise, Fish shared this on his FB page, it seems Lars Ulrich has a deep passion for Clutching at Straws, and even gave the album some air time and very good words on his radio show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy69_yD9HQ&feature=youtu.be

Shortest song on the album (aside from the technicality that is Happy Ending.)

Was thinking about this album a lot today actually. 30 Years. Was really starting to get into the album around this time after initially not feeling it earlier.

Guess the live show had a lot to do with that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #983 on: September 27, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
HEY!   Need a little help...

Anyone remember who (if any) the opening acts were at the following shows:

July 24, 1997 (Sunsets on Empire Tour) - Tuxedo Junction, Danbury, CT
June 21, 2008 (13th Star Tour) - TLA Philadelphia

Also, Marillion:
February 12, 1990 (Season's End Tour) - Toad's Place, New Haven
October 12, 1992 (Holidays in Eden Tour) - Toad's Place, New Haven

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
On the Holidays in Eden tour they had (at least in Europe) the wonderful The Violet Hour as support.
They released only one album but that one is one of my all time favorites, called The Fire Sermon.

They were led by the amazing Doris Brendel (vocals and flagolette).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #985 on: September 30, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »

Also, Marillion:

I'm pretty sure Fish didn't have any opening acts and Marillion and Dream Theater has monumentally bad openers around this period.

As far as Marillion goes, they had bands like Flies on Fire and Drive...She Said as openers at shows I saw in New York, NJ and PA.  Have no idea if they were at your shows. Only things I remember about them was suffering through until they were done and those ridiculous names.

I should probably google them for the laughs but I guess it doesn't even raise to that level of interest.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #986 on: September 30, 2017, 06:07:54 PM »
When I saw Sunsets on Empire, he didn't have an opener.

And for Season's End, they had Enchant open, though I think that was specific to the Bay Area show since they are a local band and Rothery had a hand in the production of their debut album. If you're not familiar with Enchant, I'll send them in your roulette :p

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #987 on: October 01, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #988 on: October 02, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
Might hit up that Texas date. I'm not sure yet though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #989 on: October 02, 2017, 01:33:13 AM »
On the Holidays in Eden tour they had (at least in Europe) the wonderful The Violet Hour as support.
They released only one album but that one is one of my all time favorites, called The Fire Sermon.

Wow - nice to see another Violet Hour fan on here - that was a great album! Doris Brendel is supporting Fish on some of his forthcoming shows...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: October 02, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »

Wow - nice to see another Violet Hour fan on here - that was a great album! Doris Brendel is supporting Fish on some of his forthcoming shows...

Same to you....
Yes I wish I could go to Great Britain for one of those shows, but alas...
Trying to convince a local promotor to book Fish and Doris Brendel.... hope next year

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: October 02, 2017, 07:20:47 AM »

Also, Marillion:

I'm pretty sure Fish didn't have any opening acts and Marillion and Dream Theater has monumentally bad openers around this period.

As far as Marillion goes, they had bands like Flies on Fire and Drive...She Said as openers at shows I saw in New York, NJ and PA.  Have no idea if they were at your shows. Only things I remember about them was suffering through until they were done and those ridiculous names.

I should probably google them for the laughs but I guess it doesn't even raise to that level of interest.

Flies On Fire!  Yes!  They opened the Season's End tour.  They sucked, if I recall correctly.  I don't remember Drive... She Said, but that is an epically bad band name. 

Thanks for your help...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #992 on: October 08, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
February 2018 American Tour:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1587912027959467&set=gm.1777665172257770&type=3&theater&ifg=1

While I'm kind of bummed they won't be any closer than 5 hours on a weeknight I makes perfect sense to visit the rest of the country.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #993 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
Yes.  As this is technically a second US leg of the FEAR tour it seems they consciously avoided markets they already hit in 2016,  even big ones like NYC and LA.  NO canadian dates either but the rumour goes they'll bring back the Marillion Weekend in Montreal in 2019.  I hope that turns out to be true.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #994 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
edit: double post

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #995 on: October 08, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
Yes.  As this is technically a second US leg of the FEAR tour it seems they consciously avoided markets they already hit in 2016,  even big ones like NYC and LA.  NO canadian dates either but the rumour goes they'll bring back the Marillion Weekend in Montreal in 2019.  I hope that turns out to be true.

Can't see why it wouldn't be. Seems like no-brainer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #996 on: October 08, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
February 2018 American Tour:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1587912027959467&set=gm.1777665172257770&type=3&theater&ifg=1

While I'm kind of bummed they won't be any closer than 5 hours on a weeknight I makes perfect sense to visit the rest of the country.

Almost the rest.... :-[
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #997 on: October 09, 2017, 05:38:56 AM »
Got tickets for the Dallas show. So looking forward to this time. Love H and Marillion. 1st tike seeing them. :metal

Offline faizoff

« Reply #998 on: October 09, 2017, 06:54:44 AM »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #999 on: October 11, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
I just pulled the trigger and got tickets for the Pittsburgh area show. I have never traveled 8 hours to go to a concert before, but I don't want to miss the tour. So a road trip from Connecticut is in order!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
Worth it.  I drove from CT to Philly to see the first leg, and it was SO worth it.   I was with my friend and his girlfriend, and I stood to the side during Neverland because I didn't want them to see me crying.  Second time ever at a show (the first was McCartney as he sang Yesterday), and that song alone is worth the ticket price.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1001 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »
Anyone here going to the Royal Albert Hall gig tomorrow? On paper, it should be an incredible, memorable occasion. One of the most charismatic live bands, with a truly dedicated fanbase, in one of Britain's most prestigious venues.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1002 on: October 12, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
Worth it.  I drove from CT to Philly to see the first leg, and it was SO worth it.   I was with my friend and his girlfriend, and I stood to the side during Neverland because I didn't want them to see me crying.  Second time ever at a show (the first was McCartney as he sang Yesterday), and that song alone is worth the ticket price.
I know it will be worth it. I've seen Marillion a few times. The last time was Election night in NYC. Needless to say, that was a very surreal night to say the least.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1003 on: October 13, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
Anyone here going to the Royal Albert Hall gig tomorrow? On paper, it should be an incredible, memorable occasion. One of the most charismatic live bands, with a truly dedicated fanbase, in one of Britain's most prestigious venues.

I wish.

Must have been incredible to witness this.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1004 on: October 13, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »
I know it will be worth it. I've seen Marillion a few times. The last time was Election night in NYC. Needless to say, that was a very surreal night to say the least.

That's one way to put it.  I had a friend who went to that gig and I'd considered going myself, but I didn't want to take that risk.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1005 on: October 15, 2017, 05:27:56 PM »
I got one of the bands promo cd's a year ago and it was nice, but did not hold my attention.  I recently came to this thread and went to the beginning.    I listened to Clutching at Straws this afternoon and all I can say is 'wow'.  One of the best cd's I have ever heard.  Next up is Misplaced Childhood.  I listened to the first two, but will have to listen again before purchasing.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1006 on: October 16, 2017, 01:49:32 AM »

Yes! It was utterly fantastic! My 24th Marillion gig, and just about one of the best - the atmosphere was unbelievable (I've still got goose-bumps) and the DVD should be amazing!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1007 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »

Yes! It was utterly fantastic! My 24th Marillion gig, and just about one of the best - the atmosphere was unbelievable (I've still got goose-bumps) and the DVD should be amazing!

I'd have to think the vibe was similar to Dream Theater's Score show. (Anyone go to both?)  The DVD should be totally worth it.

The new Marillion EP  is better than I expected it to be. Neverland is taking some getting used to though. I noticed the differences when I saw them last year and this recording really highlights them. Still not sure if I like the arrangement.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1008 on: January 17, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
Will be at the show in Durham NC.  Can't wait to finally see this band!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1009 on: January 19, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
Will be at the show in Durham NC.  Can't wait to finally see this band!
Excited for you! You are going to have a great time!

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1010 on: January 19, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: January 19, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »
Deluxe reissue of Brave coming in March.

That's cool.  I'll buy that.   That's the full show from Made Again (Made Again had only the Brave portion).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1012 on: January 19, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Deluxe reissue of Brave coming in March.

I'm almost 100 percent sure this will be the only Marillion deluxe I'm passing on.

I'm kind of idly wondering if a Steven Wilson remix will do anything to change my opinion of it. But if it's not going to move mountains I'm not going to bother with it. I have Made Again and while I think it's a slight improvement over the studio record, it's not enough to make me reach for it much.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1013 on: January 19, 2018, 07:38:31 PM »
On that subject... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRTEprP4bI

Imo it's a decent improvement.  Brings h out more and more h is always good.  Odd that the B sides won't be in the new deluxe but everyone's heard them I guess. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1014 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
On that subject... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRTEprP4bI

Imo it's a decent improvement.  Brings h out more and more h is always good.  Odd that the B sides won't be in the new deluxe but everyone's heard them I guess.

Marouette Jam is the best track from those sessions and it never made the freaking album!