Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232790 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Marillion
« Reply #945 on: August 03, 2017, 05:34:43 AM »
It's a shame really that, for some people, H still hasn't shaken off the "Fish replacement" tag, after 30 years and 13 studio albums with the band. The Fish era of the band is quite small now, and will only get more and more miniscule with each subsequent album. Thankfully, they're in the minority.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #946 on: August 03, 2017, 07:13:45 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I've already given the biggest recommendations above a chance. So there seems no point to continue further, but I'll go back and give those few that I have in my collection from the Hogarth era another spin.

I never managed to catch them live either, doesn't seem like they hit the US all that often. Their recent tour, which they did do a Philly area date I skipped purposefully as I didn't have much desire in seeing the Hogarth lineup.

I RARELY say this, as I am not at all a fan of "turning on" other people to music - you either like it or you don't - but it's amazing enough that it transcends:   there are some things that, as a music fan, you have to see.   In my opinion, you have to see "Rock and Roll All Nite" by Kiss, in an arena, at least once.   You have to see Bruce, just once.  You have to see Paul singing "Hey Jude" in person just once.

For my money, you have to see Hogarth performing "Neverland" live, just once.  It is transformative. 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: August 03, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
Marbles 3xLP with new art (and the full goddamn album!) is now up for preorder at Burning Shed. Comes out August 18. Instabuy!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #948 on: August 03, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
damn, I want that. Makes me pissed for buying the 1st pressing.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: August 04, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
damn, I want that. Makes me pissed for buying the 1st pressing.

Right? I just bought the "original" LP pressing a couple months ago online .. got it cheap (or I felt it was cheap for 2 LPs)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #950 on: August 04, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
It's a shame really that, for some people, H still hasn't shaken off the "Fish replacement" tag, after 30 years and 13 studio albums with the band. The Fish era of the band is quite small now, and will only get more and more miniscule with each subsequent album. Thankfully, they're in the minority.

Not a replacement at all. Apples and oranges.

Those Fish albums did the most commercial damage and had a much higher profile --  though the music industry is a much different thing than it was then.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #951 on: August 14, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »
I've had B'Sides Themselves for over a year, but it's only recently that Lady Nina has clicked with me. I love that song! But I'm wondering if Lady Nina and Freaks were initially written as part of the Misplaced Childhood concept.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
Can't speak definitively for Freaks, but Lady Nina was NOT.    LN was written in conjunction with Ian's experimentation with a different drum sound (the electronic drums you can hear on the recording) but it's my understanding that it wasn't part of the MC concept.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #953 on: August 15, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »
There are details about Freaks and Lady Nina on the BR disc and in the booklet of the MC deluxe box.
Basically Nina was knocked out quickly with drum machine and is about a prostitute and Freaks about the Marillion fans.
Neither songs fit in either musically or lyrically with the rest of the MC album and thus were never considered to be part of the album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #954 on: August 17, 2017, 02:30:54 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here, but HAPPINESS IS THE ROAD will also be released on vinyl soon!
Here's what my burning shed mail said:

Marillion

Happiness Is The Road - Essence / The Hard Shoulder (double vinyl pre-orders)

Happiness Is The Road, Marillion’s two volume album from 2008, given a 2017 Madfish label reissue as two separate double LP sets.

The two volumes comprise The Hard Shoulder - which presents a riff-laden, harder Rock approach - and Essence - a melancholic and atmospheric concept album - which features Marillion at its most innovative.

These versions of Essence and The Hard Shoulder are presented as double 180g vinyl editiosn packaged in a lavish gatefold covers. The Hard Shoulder features two bonus live tracks on its fourth vinyl side.

Pre-order for 6th October release.

BTW, am I the only one here who LOVES HITR? I feel like it has been bashed a lot bc it's not really proggy but I think it has some brilliant songs and I like the overall atmosphere.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #955 on: August 19, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
There are details about Freaks and Lady Nina on the BR disc and in the booklet of the MC deluxe box.
Basically Nina was knocked out quickly with drum machine and is about a prostitute and Freaks about the Marillion fans.
Neither songs fit in either musically or lyrically with the rest of the MC album and thus were never considered to be part of the album.

EMI wanted Lady Nina on the album as a single and the band refused. That drum machine still kind of bothers me. they talk a little about Lady Nina in the doc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #956 on: August 19, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here, but HAPPINESS IS THE ROAD will also be released on vinyl soon!
Here's what my burning shed mail said:

Marillion

Happiness Is The Road - Essence / The Hard Shoulder (double vinyl pre-orders)

Happiness Is The Road, Marillion’s two volume album from 2008, given a 2017 Madfish label reissue as two separate double LP sets.

The two volumes comprise The Hard Shoulder - which presents a riff-laden, harder Rock approach - and Essence - a melancholic and atmospheric concept album - which features Marillion at its most innovative.

These versions of Essence and The Hard Shoulder are presented as double 180g vinyl editiosn packaged in a lavish gatefold covers. The Hard Shoulder features two bonus live tracks on its fourth vinyl side.

Pre-order for 6th October release.

BTW, am I the only one here who LOVES HITR? I feel like it has been bashed a lot bc it's not really proggy but I think it has some brilliant songs and I like the overall atmosphere.

I like it. It's just that I like the albums around it better. I'm sure if there was a US Tour for it, I'd probably like it even more.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #957 on: August 19, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
I like The Hard Shoulder a good deal more than Essence, although the title track is decent.  Then again, I'm one of the few Marillion fans who appreciates their rock side more than their introspective side.  I understand what they were going for, but overall, the first disc is just so much middling meh. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
I like The Hard Shoulder a good deal more than Essence, although the title track is decent.  Then again, I'm one of the few Marillion fans who appreciates their rock side more than their introspective side.  I understand what they were going for, but overall, the first disc is just so much middling meh.

This is me.  I love Hogarth, and I have a lot of respect for him as a singer and frontman, but when he misses (with me) he REALLY misses (with me).   Sometimes he gets a little too into his own universe for me.  I also miss Dave Meegan's input into the band's work. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #959 on: August 19, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »

This is me.  I love Hogarth, and I have a lot of respect for him as a singer and frontman, but when he misses (with me) he REALLY misses (with me).   Sometimes he gets a little too into his own universe for me.  I also miss Dave Meegan's input into the band's work.

Essence is essentially an hour of Hogarth's navel gazing set to music. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #960 on: August 23, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
On my first ever listen to Marillion's Clutching at Straws (albeit it in background while I work)...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #961 on: August 23, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
On my first ever listen to Marillion's Clutching at Straws (albeit it in background while I work)...

Good choice.  That's the best one they did with Fish. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #962 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »

Every time my wife and I drive back home at night from somewhere, this is the album we play.

Don't even remember how that started.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: August 25, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »

Every time my wife and I drive back home at night from somewhere, this is the album we play.

Top ten all time album for me.   Top to bottom, and one I still listen to frequently. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #964 on: August 25, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »

The wife and I play The Raven That Refused To Sing for that drive all the time.  Cool!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #965 on: August 27, 2017, 04:28:29 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, I was reading a SW interview and he said that he was/is working on a 5.1 mix of Brave.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #966 on: August 27, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »

Top ten all time album for me.   Top to bottom, and one I still listen to frequently.

It's not even my favorite Marillion album overall although at that time of the night it just might be. Listened to it twice through again last might. Definitely a state of mind.....

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #967 on: August 27, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »

Probably my personal favorite Marillion album. I typically prefer their work with Hogarth, but Fish knocked it out of the park with that album. One of my absolute favorite albums ever from a lyrical perspective.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #968 on: August 27, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
I just bought the brand new re-release of Misplaced Childhood, and I'm feeling a bit ripped off. 

I honestly thought that Steven Wilson had remixed and remastered the ENTIRE thing.   But he only did the 5.1 mixes on the bonus Blu Ray.   The album and the bonus disc are essentially exactly the same thing that I already have from the 1998 Remaster.  (it's been remastered by someone else, but I don't hear much of a difference)

The bonus live concert is nice, and I am happy to have the SW surround sound version, but I basically paid full price for a package that I already owned 40% of. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #969 on: August 27, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
Are you mad at yourself for not doing enough pre-purchase investigating?
Always read the 'fine print' with deluxe box sets to see exactly what you are paying for.

I only bought it for the BR, and the interview and liner notes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #970 on: August 27, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
Kinda....but in a way, since Steven usually is "all in" on these things (see the Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Yes re-releases), and to see his name attached to this project, it seemed natural to think it was going to be similar to all those other releases he's gotten involved in.   

You're right.  There was no deception.  But I do wish they would have made it clearer that the main album and B-sides on the first two discs were not done with SW's involvement.   Or at least done a bit more to promote that it was Michael Hunter that was doing the 2017 remaster with no remixing, as opposed to having Steven Wilson be the *only* name that was bantered about in the promotion of the product.

Seriously....Michael Hunter is not mentioned at all on the outside of the package, nor is he ever even mentioned in the promotion of the release.  Even though it only mentions SW in the mix of the surround sound, his name is still the only name that comes up.   Check it.

https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/misplaced-deluxeCD.htm

I had to look on the last page of the liner notes before I knew who had done it at all. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #971 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Probably down that SW is far more marketable and name is well known than Michael Hunter.

Anyway looking forward to Brave in 5.1, can't think of what that might be packaged with?
We've already had Brave remaster and b-sides, The Making Of Brave, Brave live, what's left in the vault?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
Kinda....but in a way, since Steven usually is "all in" on these things (see the Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Yes re-releases), and to see his name attached to this project, it seemed natural to think it was going to be similar to all those other releases he's gotten involved in.   

You're right.  There was no deception.  But I do wish they would have made it clearer that the main album and B-sides on the first two discs were not done with SW's involvement.   Or at least done a bit more to promote that it was Michael Hunter that was doing the 2017 remaster with no remixing, as opposed to having Steven Wilson be the *only* name that was bantered about in the promotion of the product.

Seriously....Michael Hunter is not mentioned at all on the outside of the package, nor is he ever even mentioned in the promotion of the release.  Even though it only mentions SW in the mix of the surround sound, his name is still the only name that comes up.   Check it.

I had to look on the last page of the liner notes before I knew who had done it at all.

I'm not taking sides on this, but as a point of fact, I read two interviews with Wilson where he said something to the effect of, "when I do this I start with a remix in stereo, then create the 5.1 mix.   Most packages - Yes was one - require that my new stereo mix be included [the interviews implied that it was a contractual thing, whether to get approval for the stereo re-release or to make sure the royalties on the older stereo mixes were not excessive].  This one, I sent it to the band and said flat out, don't include this; I didn't bring anything new to the table in stereo, the one before was about as good as it's going to get.    Just include the 5.1 mix."    Or something like that. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #973 on: September 03, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
I just bought the brand new re-release of Misplaced Childhood, and I'm feeling a bit ripped off. 

I honestly thought that Steven Wilson had remixed and remastered the ENTIRE thing.   But he only did the 5.1 mixes on the bonus Blu Ray.   The album and the bonus disc are essentially exactly the same thing that I already have from the 1998 Remaster.  (it's been remastered by someone else, but I don't hear much of a difference)

The bonus live concert is nice, and I am happy to have the SW surround sound version, but I basically paid full price for a package that I already owned 40% of.

You have the R40 box? I'd be more pissed about that. (Think I had close to 95 percent of that already and paid close to $100 for it I think.)

I only cared about the live Marillion show (had a vinyl bootleg of this though) the doc and the art and liner notes (The signatures were a really nice touch too) so I guess I'm coming at it from a different place. I don't think it was going to sound any better than it already did (There may be a minor improvement but I'm not completely sure.)

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #974 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45:31 AM »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #975 on: September 08, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
AMERICAN TOUR IN FEBRUARY!

From Lucy Jordache on Facebook:

hey - if you buy our new single I *might* be persuaded to give you some good news in return:) Oh what the hell....save the dates..9th - 21st February 2018. USA we are coming to get you. More details will be posted in the next few days so don't ask as I'm not telling:)

We hope you’re having a good summer.
We are are pleased to announce that we’ve decided to release a single!
We thought it might be cool to give F E A R another promotional “bump” as we intend to continue touring our new baby well-into 2018.
Nothing works so well as a top ten chart position so…
Mike H, our resident genius producer has made a radical remix/edit of “Living In Fear” complete with outro taken from our live show at the 2017 Convention.

The preorder starts on Friday 8th September for release 6th October. We'll share the video with you in a couple of weeks:)
You gave us top 5 with “You’re Gone”. Can you do it again? We have a feeling you just might…
See you very soon
H, Ian, Mark, Pete and Steve
Tracklisting:
Marillion – Living In F E A R
1. Living in F E A R (edit)
2. The Leavers : One Tonight (Live)
3. Neverland (Live)
4. Dry Land (Live)
Available on Limited Edition CD, Numbered 12" Vinyl and Digital Download.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #976 on: September 08, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
Oh snap...hopefully they'll play Denver. Think this might be the time to see them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: September 08, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »
Oh snap...hopefully they'll play Denver. Think this might be the time to see them.

AFAIK they played Denver for the F.E.A.R tour. If circumstances were different around that time I might have flown up for it (I have friends and family up there) but it wasn't in the cards.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #978 on: September 09, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »

I'm not taking sides on this, but as a point of fact, I read two interviews with Wilson where he said something to the effect of, "when I do this I start with a remix in stereo, then create the 5.1 mix.   Most packages - Yes was one - require that my new stereo mix be included [the interviews implied that it was a contractual thing, whether to get approval for the stereo re-release or to make sure the royalties on the older stereo mixes were not excessive].  This one, I sent it to the band and said flat out, don't include this; I didn't bring anything new to the table in stereo, the one before was about as good as it's going to get.    Just include the 5.1 mix."    Or something like that.

I had thought the 2.0 mix on the blu ray was Steve Wilson's but it appears not, just a 24/96 remaster. I don't have a surround sound system so can't play it. The remaster didn't sound any different to my ears but I do have newly diagnosed tinitus, from trauma - I blame that ManOwaR Fighting Zthe World tour 😀

I mainly bought it for the interview part and the package really, and it's signed by Fish.

I'm hoping for a Clutching T Straws version with similar packaging to go on the shelf.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: September 11, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »
I'm hoping for a Clutching T Straws version with similar packaging to go on the shelf.

I would hold my breath for that.