Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232709 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Marillion
« Reply #875 on: December 01, 2016, 02:03:45 AM »
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet. Yesterday Marillion announced a gig at the legendary Royal Albert Hall, on Friday 13th October 2017. Easily set to be one of the prog events of the year.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #876 on: December 01, 2016, 05:38:09 AM »
Next week Marillion will be playing in Utrecht, the place where I currently live. I couldn't get a ticket but I will go there and try to get one anyway.
Do you guys know if it's possible to meet the guys before or after the show?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:17:36 AM by Fritzinger »
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #877 on: December 01, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
Next week Marillion will be playing in Utrecht, the place where I currently live. I couldn't get a ticket but I will go there and try to get one anyway.
Do you guys know if it's possible to meet the guys before or after the show?

No idea, but before the Philly show, I parked in the parking lot behind the venue, and was literally right next to the bus.  As I'm walking down to the bar across the street to meet a friend, Mark Kelly was about 25 feet in front of me with two women.  As we rounded the corner of the building onto the sidewalk he stopped to chat with a guy at a table at a restaurant that was open to the street.   I politely leaned in and said "Thank you" and offered my hand.  He shook it with a confused look on his face, and I said "I'll be watching you play in about 2 hours, didn't mean to bother you."   He smiled and went back to talking.

I don't know the Utrecht venue, but the places they played in the States are not stadia.   It's not too hard if you know the layout of the place and the schedule.   I would have waited after the show (I'm not shitting you; my car door was literally 15 feet from the bus door) but I had a 3 and a half hour drive back home and it was already 11:30 at night.   My days of standing in parking lots to get CD covers signed are, I think, fading.  :)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #878 on: December 02, 2016, 12:44:51 AM »
Yeah, I have like, zero interest in meeting artist before or, even, after a show they play. Having performed myself I can imagine people coming up to you before a show might be the last thing you want. Although, a lot of performers these days are very relaxed about it, like the guys of Dream Theater. The reason for me is that it tends to be a pretty awkward experience. I happen to shake the singer of Fishbone, Angelo Moore's hand right before a show once, but that was because he was standing right next to me at the bar and I couldn't really ignore him. I remember meeting some of the members of an all time favourite band of mine, Psychotic Waltz, after a reunion show in Amsterdam. The vocalist, Devon Graves and guitarist Dan Rock were as cool as I expected, but when I tried to talk to their drummer Norm Leggio later on outside he had more attention for his phone and he was on about how much homesick he was and couldn't wait to get back home. I once shared a look and a nod with Ray Alder during a show he played with Fates and he was sort of having a relax moment at the side of the stage during a long instrumental part. That was cool. Even people I know that are fine with it, like the members of Stream of Passion or bands like that in the Netherlands, I hate bothering them after a show. The only exception is Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) who pretty much talks to anyone. He even came up to talk to me once after a gig of SOP and I couldn't really send him away, now could I?   ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #879 on: December 02, 2016, 01:30:36 AM »
I believe the guys from DT are now relaxed about it because they make 200 bucks off each person they shake hands with for 4 seconds...
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #880 on: December 02, 2016, 03:50:53 AM »
Marillion are really nice guys, not at all rock-star-ish, and will happily stop to chat to you UNLESS they are busy doing something else. Hang around after the show or at sound-check time.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: December 02, 2016, 09:47:59 AM »
I met Robin Zander like that at Toad's Place.  He was having a drink and a cigarette at the bar before the show (glasses and the cowboy hat he often wears).    It's a small place, but I don't know why no one else noticed him.  I just sat down next to him with my friend, and we both minded our own bidniz.  As he finished his drink/cig and started to go, I turned and said "Knock em out, Robin.  You're the man" or some horseshit like that, and he smiled, and put his hand on my shoulder and went off to work. Very casual.

As for Marillion, another Toad's story (and relevant to the "doing other things...").  I had just watched the Seasons... tour show (H killed it), was hanging for a few beers (Toad's is a bar as well as club), and when the line died down a little, I went to the down stairs bathroom to pee.   I hung the fire hose and notice Mark Kelly to my left, and Ian Mosley to my right, doing the same thing, just staring straight ahead.  I felt it appropriate to not say a word and CERTAINLY not offer to shake hands.  They zipped up, turned and left, and while I didn't talk to them, I do have a decent story.  :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #882 on: December 03, 2016, 07:55:12 AM »
I met Robin Zander like that at Toad's Place.  He was having a drink and a cigarette at the bar before the show (glasses and the cowboy hat he often wears).    It's a small place, but I don't know why no one else noticed him.  I just sat down next to him with my friend, and we both minded our own bidniz.  As he finished his drink/cig and started to go, I turned and said "Knock em out, Robin.  You're the man" or some horseshit like that, and he smiled, and put his hand on my shoulder and went off to work. Very casual.

As for Marillion, another Toad's story (and relevant to the "doing other things...").  I had just watched the Seasons... tour show (H killed it), was hanging for a few beers (Toad's is a bar as well as club), and when the line died down a little, I went to the down stairs bathroom to pee.   I hung the fire hose and notice Mark Kelly to my left, and Ian Mosley to my right, doing the same thing, just staring straight ahead.  I felt it appropriate to not say a word and CERTAINLY not offer to shake hands.  They zipped up, turned and left, and while I didn't talk to them, I do have a decent story.  :)

Hope they washed their hands...  :biggrin:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #883 on: December 29, 2016, 05:44:46 PM »
Fish has been known to hang at the bar before his shows. Not sure if he still does.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: December 30, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
He did in Philly on the 13th Star tour, though he switched places.  He was at one place for dinner and drinks, then went to another to sign stuff (though he was kind of a dick) then went back to the venue.  All this was within three blocks, but still. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #885 on: January 07, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
He did in Philly on the 13th Star tour, though he switched places.  He was at one place for dinner and drinks, then went to another to sign stuff (though he was kind of a dick) then went back to the venue.  All this was within three blocks, but still.

That was the last time I saw him. I remember him at the bar. He switched because he didn't want the venue taking a major cut of his merch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: January 09, 2017, 05:46:56 AM »
Where did you go? I didn't bother with the bar on South (Manny Brown's); I was with my wife and daughter so I went and hung at the Irish Times (I knew the owner a little bit).    I know it was a thing with the VENUE, but I don't know why he switched bars.  If I remember right, not all (or even any) of the merch actually showed up at the Times.  He was kind of in a foul mood, and I figured that was why.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #887 on: January 13, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »
Where did you go? I didn't bother with the bar on South (Manny Brown's); I was with my wife and daughter so I went and hung at the Irish Times (I knew the owner a little bit).    I know it was a thing with the VENUE, but I don't know why he switched bars.  If I remember right, not all (or even any) of the merch actually showed up at the Times.  He was kind of in a foul mood, and I figured that was why.

I went wherever the merch was because I thought about getting a shirt. We got a photo with him.

I have no idea why he left though, maybe he didn't like his drink?

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #888 on: March 08, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »
I knew there was a marillion thread around here somewhere.  There is a science and engineering podcast I listen to, and it turns out the guy is a marillion fan.  He did a podcast with their producer, Mike Hunter, talking about music production from a mostly technical point of view.  Marillion is not the focus, but uses them as example of various production techniques.  Hope you enjoy.

https://omegataupodcast.net/10-marillion-music-production/

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: May 02, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
It looks like Warner is going through the Marillion catalog and sprucing it up.

First up is Misplaced Childhood with a 4CD, 1 Blu Ray pack. 5.1 audio mixed by Steven Wilson.

https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/misplaced-deluxeCD.htm

This is the CD/Bluray version of a brand new (2017) Stereo & 5.1 Remaster of Marillion's 1985 album Misplaced Childhood.

Disc one features the complete remastered album. Discs two and three contain a live concert recorded Live at the Muziekcentrum Vredenburg in the city of Utrecht in October 1985. The performance includes the entire Misplaced Childhood album along with several songs from the band’s earlier albums, like “Script For A Jester’s Tear” and “Fugazi.” All of the live recordings are previously unreleased except for “Chelsea Monday,” which was the B-side to “Heart Of Lothian” (The full concert is included with the MISPLACED CHILDHOOD (DELUXE EDITION) LP set).

The BluRay disc contains an hour-long documentary about the album and promo videos for album singles “Lavender”, “Kayleigh”, “Lady Nina” and “Heart Of Lothian.” Also featured is the original album remixed by Steven Wilson in 5.1 Surround Sound and the 2017 Remaster in high resolution 96kHz 24 bit. Rounding out the disc are Wilson’s Surround Sound and Stereo remixes of “Lady Nina,” the B-side to “Kayleigh.”

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #890 on: May 02, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »
 :omg:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #891 on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: May 02, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »
:omg:

:panicattack:

And don't forget about these Fish remasters.

https://shop.fishheads.club/product-category/t-shirt-promo/

I really want those but man.... I think I'd be up to $150 for the remasters currently being sold :(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #893 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
Tell me about it. It's just not fair. :lol Do they expect us to sell blood and sperm?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: May 02, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »
Tell me about it. It's just not fair. :lol Do they expect us to sell blood and sperm?

LOL

Apparently Steven Wilson has said somewhere recently he's working on the Brave 5.1 mix now.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #895 on: May 02, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »
Damn. That's a great album BUT I would much rather hear him do Marbles. I'd love to hear his treatment of Ocean Cloud and Neverland.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: May 02, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »

We should cut out the middle man and just send it to them.   "Brave 5.1 mix!  Only 3 cc of either blood or sperm!"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »
Damn. That's a great album BUT I would much rather hear him do Marbles. I'd love to hear his treatment of Ocean Cloud and Neverland.

Yeah, I honestly figured they would have worked chronologically on this. I'd love to hear a remaster of CAS!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #898 on: May 02, 2017, 08:25:19 PM »

We should cut out the middle man and just send it to them.   "Brave 5.1 mix!  Only 3 cc of either blood or sperm!"

Peter Steele already beat us to it. He signed his record contract with a mixture of his blood and semen.

Yeah, I honestly figured they would have worked chronologically on this. I'd love to hear a remaster of CAS!

I guess the band is picking their favorites or maybe albums they think need it most.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #899 on: May 03, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
How about the best Marillion album? (Afraid of Sunlight)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: May 03, 2017, 07:32:35 AM »
How about the best Marillion album? (Afraid of Sunlight)

This was my first Marillion album. I still dig it a whole bunch but I wouldn't say it's my favorite.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #901 on: May 03, 2017, 07:44:20 AM »
Clutching at Straws, of course.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #902 on: May 03, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »
Clutching at Straws, of course.

Such a great album. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: May 03, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »
CAS gives me chills every time I listen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: May 03, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »

Peter Steele already beat us to it. He signed his record contract with a mixture of his blood and semen.

Cut to the scene where the VP says to his receptionist, "Dear, can you make us four copies of this, please?" and her walking out holding the very corner between thumb and index finger. 

I can see the blood, but do I want to know how you get the semen to hand in the board room to sign the document??

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
CAS gives me chills every time I listen.

I'm with you on that.  And I've heard that album easily hundreds of times, and I STILL get lost in it.    Amazing stuff. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: May 03, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
FWIW it's about $36 with shipping to order direct from Marillion.com ... though I think the price on Amazon will come down to something sensible eventually.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #908 on: May 03, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
The copied from Fish's store are signed:

https://shop.fishheads.club/product/misplaced-childhood-deluxe-cdbluray-version/

Has anyone here ordered from his site before? I'm considering it (his is one of the few Marillion related autographs I lack), but I was just wondering how prompt they are about shipping, etc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #909 on: May 03, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
The copied from Fish's store are signed:

https://shop.fishheads.club/product/misplaced-childhood-deluxe-cdbluray-version/

Has anyone here ordered from his site before? I'm considering it (his is one of the few Marillion related autographs I lack), but I was just wondering how prompt they are about shipping, etc.

I did once for Feast of Consequences, but that was a pre order. The album showed up a bit after the release date, considering international shipping it wasn't too bad.