Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232838 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Marillion
« Reply #840 on: September 30, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »
Good news everyone! F.E.A.R has charted at No. 4 in the UK, their first top 5 album in 29 years, since Clutching at Straws!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #841 on: September 30, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
This is an amazing album. I'm listening to it a second time. The melodies are beautiful and endearing. This is going to be better than Sounds That Can't Be Made.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #842 on: September 30, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Just got the campaign deluxe edition. Absolutely beautiful and stunning.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #843 on: September 30, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
Listening now. So far so good. :smiley:

I am really impressed by the scope of this album.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:53:19 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #844 on: September 30, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
going to the 2nd Chicago show! ticket and airfare acquired.

I just need to work more on the Hotel/Hostel situation.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #845 on: October 02, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
It's a grower. Very solid.  Living In Fear really stands out for me so far. Can't wait to experience that live if they decide to play it. I like The Leavers a lot too.

Would have been nice to hear more Rothery, but after his gift of a solo album I won't hold it against him. He is still doing some interesting things though.

I was hoping to get a chance to pop in the DVD this weekend. Maybe I'll still have time.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »
It's a grower. Very solid.  Living In Fear really stands out for me so far.

Yes. Makes me wish I could get to see them live. It's not in the cards though...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #847 on: October 06, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
Played the newie for the first time today and enjoyed it. I'm really just a Fish era fan but I found this a nice relaxing listen and Hogarth isn't too cringey . Going to have to try some of the more recent stuff if it's anything like this

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #848 on: October 12, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
Played the newie for the first time today and enjoyed it. I'm really just a Fish era fan but I found this a nice relaxing listen and Hogarth isn't too cringey . Going to have to try some of the more recent stuff if it's anything like this

Last few Fish albums have been among his best ever.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #849 on: October 13, 2016, 01:01:04 AM »
^ correct. 'A Feast of Consequences'  is an amazing album.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #850 on: October 15, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
^ correct. 'A Feast of Consequences'  is an amazing album.

Actually pulling that one off of the shelf right now.....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #851 on: October 20, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
Less than 24 hours till showtime :caffeine:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #852 on: October 20, 2016, 11:14:33 PM »
 :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #853 on: October 21, 2016, 06:52:44 AM »
Awe man RJ! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #854 on: October 21, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »
In line......  :RJ:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #855 on: October 22, 2016, 01:00:22 AM »
You guys are in for a real, treat, the new songs are amazing live.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #856 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
You guys are in for a real, treat, the new songs are amazing live.

There was never any doubt of that.

Are they playing more than one or two new ones?

I haven't decided if I want to know the whole set or not although it probably won't make any difference one way or the other.

I may just spring for my first non-Rush concert shirt in years.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #857 on: October 22, 2016, 07:09:55 PM »
Our set had three new ones, two of them epics. There was one significant thing about the set.... They didn't play a single song from before 1995

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #858 on: October 29, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »
Our set had three new ones, two of them epics. There was one significant thing about the set.... They didn't play a single song from before 1995

I have no problem with that. That means there are no Brave tunes so I'll be digging it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #859 on: October 31, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
Blasphemy....Brave is my favorite H album....

Seems they've been shaking up the setlist some as the tour progresses, but the three tracks of FEAR are in every show.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #860 on: November 01, 2016, 05:43:10 AM »
Brave is awesome and easily one of my favorite H albums.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #861 on: November 05, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
Blasphemy....Brave is my favorite H album....

Seems they've been shaking up the setlist some as the tour progresses, but the three tracks of FEAR are in every show.

My condolences....

Would have been stoked to hear more of FEAR, but I can't complain to loudly about the set. Won't be long now.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #862 on: November 05, 2016, 10:06:03 PM »
At one of the Canadian shows, they did almost the whole first side of Misplaced Childhood for an encore. That would've been impressive to see.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:05 AM »
Just saw them in Philly.

WOW.

[SPOILER ALERT]
Full disclosure, I'm a Fish guy (got into Marillion with the original release of Misplaced Childhood; Clutching is one of my five favorite records of all time by any band), but I saw them on the Seasons... and Holidays... tour, loved it, and thing everything up through Afraid... is excellent (except Holidays...) and love Marbles; not 1000% convinced on the material since Marbles. 

Hogarth was in EXCELLENT voice.  This was the third night of three in a row, and yet his voice only cracked once, and in the end (during Easter).  Sometimes he can wear thin with me (he's a little judgmental, in my opinion, and in a sanctimonious way) but I do like when he gets personal.

The setlist, while not my favorite Marillion songs, fit BEAUTIFULLY.  I think Rothery made it, because about every song had a blazing guitar solo, and he was generally on fire.  If you stuck a broom up H's ass, he would have swept the stage, because he sure as heck did everything else; played more guitar than I have ever seen (even in videos), played keys on easily half of the songs (Mark Kelly did ok, but it wasn't like watching Rick Wakeman, that's for damn sure). 

Not shy to admit I was standing there (against the wall, about 20 rows back) and during the end of Neverland, I had tears running down my face, only the second time ever in a concert (and I've seen about 400 shows; the other was "Yesterday", by McCartney in 2012).

The new stuff fit seamlessly; it was really good compared to the rest of the set.  Really great ending, with "Three Minute Boy" (not my favorite song by a long shot) but H led the crowd in a really neat singalong at the end; it wasn't a loud chant, it was more like a low buzz, and it was neat; something I've never seen before.

I drove four hours in the morning, and four more after the show (getting home at about 3:30 am) and it was all worth it.  Really good show.   Highlight for me was clearly King, Neverland, and Sugar Mice (which I've never seen live, though H kept sticking the mic into the crowd for the crowd to sing, which I hate hate hate), but all in all great.

Sidebar: I parked literally right next to the bus, and followed Mark to the venue about 6:30 or so, and (politely, I think) stopped and shook his hand (though he was befuddled; I think he thought I was claiming to know him, and I wasn't; I just said "thank you".)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »
Nice man, they were surely in top form when I saw them as well. H has developed into an outstanding frontman, he had thee crowd in the palm of his hands beginning to end.

King was fucking brilliant, Otherwise, my faves were Invisible Man and El Dorado (god they hit that one out of the park).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: November 07, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »
H is a good front man, actually very good (his voice is really deceptively strong and versatile) but there's something about him.  It's not pretention, per se, but he's got a crankiness that isn't quite as endearing as some of the other cranky singers we can name (his predecessor for one). 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #866 on: November 07, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
H is a good front man, actually very good (his voice is really deceptively strong and versatile) but there's something about him.  It's not pretention, per se, but he's got a crankiness that isn't quite as endearing as some of the other cranky singers we can name (his predecessor for one).

I think H has always somewhat resented the fact that Marillion never reached the same heights commercially as they did with Fish.  In seeing how much he rails against the idea of the rich, decadent rock star in a lot of their music, I think it was motivated at least in part by a little bit of jealousy.  Not an all consuming thing, mind you, but just enough that he can then rage against it with some sense of legitmacy, if that makes sense.  I also think that makes him a great frontman.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #867 on: November 08, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »
Well, its hard to compete with the big personality that Fish was/is.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #868 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:01 AM »
NYC TONIGHT! ELECTION NIGHT IN THE CITY WITH MARILLION!!! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #869 on: November 08, 2016, 07:00:48 AM »
After well over 30 years in the business, and if life were fair, Marillion should be frequently mentioned in the company of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd as one of the greatest bands my country has produced.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: November 08, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »
No offense, as I've said, Marillion fan from way back, but life IS fair.  It's the way it should be.   As good a song as it is, seventeen minute bitter diatribes about those who have more money than us are a limited avenue, and six minute bitter diatribes about people who do get the hit song, a song we pretentiously "almost remember" are hard not to take as sour grapes.   Honestly, the music that is popular is the music that SHOULD be popular.   Look, their music REALLY works for me - I cried like a baby watching H perform "Neverland" because it SO hit a nerve with me in my life when it came out - but it's not for everyone, and that's okay.  It's almost better that way.   

As for success in general, Kayleigh almost destroyed that band.  I can certainly get that resentment - H seems to have a better business head than Fish; how many "cunning plans" have there been now?  15?  16? And he still didn't have the foresight apparently to make sure he had all the masters to his solo albums in usable form - but he ought to be careful it doesn't turn into a one-note party. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #871 on: November 14, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »
No offense, as I've said, Marillion fan from way back, but life IS fair.  It's the way it should be.   As good a song as it is, seventeen minute bitter diatribes about those who have more money than us are a limited avenue, and six minute bitter diatribes about people who do get the hit song, a song we pretentiously "almost remember" are hard not to take as sour grapes.   Honestly, the music that is popular is the music that SHOULD be popular.   Look, their music REALLY works for me - I cried like a baby watching H perform "Neverland" because it SO hit a nerve with me in my life when it came out - but it's not for everyone, and that's okay.  It's almost better that way.   

As for success in general, Kayleigh almost destroyed that band.  I can certainly get that resentment - H seems to have a better business head than Fish; how many "cunning plans" have there been now?  15?  16? And he still didn't have the foresight apparently to make sure he had all the masters to his solo albums in usable form - but he ought to be careful it doesn't turn into a one-note party.

I was in tears more times at the Philly show than I was during the Rush Doc (no comparison really) Neverland was one of the few songs that didn't get me. It just seemed "off" (except for Rothery.) Probably been spoiled by a handful of other performances I've witnessed (October 2004 in Philly probably being the best of those.) That was, I think, the best version of King I've ever heard in my life. 

As for Hogarth, I've always said I'd be happy never to hear him sing another Fish song ever again, but hearing the band run through Sugar Mice was so flat out amazing that him singing it didn't bother me (I may have just ignored him.)

Hogarth still has that side to him I'm not thrilled with, but he's really mellowed nicely over the years.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #872 on: November 15, 2016, 05:51:38 AM »
Finally picked up F.E.A.R today. Will report back once I've listened.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #873 on: November 18, 2016, 01:25:09 PM »
I'm on my third listen now, and the hype/praise is justified! I hear elements of both Goodbye to All That and The Invisible Man in El Dorado. Living in FEAR is definitely my favourite song atm. And it's strange how this album, despite still being 68 minutes (only 6 mins shorter than Sounds That Can't Be Made), doesn't outstay its welcome unlike that one. (Nice songs on STCBM, but a mentally exhausting listen for some reason.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #874 on: November 26, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
Easily a Top 5 Hogarth Marillion album for me.

Hearing much of it live was a transformational experience.