Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232761 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Marillion
« Reply #770 on: June 08, 2016, 05:40:06 AM »
I'd rank the epics Ocean Cloud, Neverland, The Invisible Man, but I'd intersperse them with the shorter songs. I'm not even sure if Ocean Cloud is #1. I absolutely love Genie and Fantastic Place.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #771 on: June 08, 2016, 06:35:18 AM »
Of course he's human. He has the ability to reason and his reasoning is that Brave bores him.

Good, then I'm human even if TA really bores me. ;)
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #772 on: June 08, 2016, 06:38:34 AM »
First time, ever, listening to this band today. Half way through listening to Misplaced Childhood and got to say it's a VERY impressive first listen. Sure to be giving this plenty more listens  :tup

Misplaced childhood is a great album from start to finish.  That's almost perfect. Marillion was one of the very few prog band of the 80's at a time when that style was at its lowest popularity probably.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #773 on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:28 PM »
Of course he's human. He has the ability to reason and his reasoning is that Brave bores him.

Good, then I'm human even if TA really bores me. ;)

Well now you're just being silly.   :lol  ;)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #774 on: June 08, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
I actually like the vocal stuttering/repeating/echoing effect on Neverland. It is something different, and unique, and it conveys a type of emotion you don't hear all that often from H or for that matter, many other singers. I actually think if it wasn't there, Neverland wouldn't be as good.

That MAKES it for me.  I love that part. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #775 on: June 28, 2016, 04:55:06 AM »
per the Pledgemusic campaign page, this is apparently the Track Listing.

We promised to keep you updated on the album progress. So, with that in mind, we are pleased to share our final and confirmed track listing. More news coming soon:)

1. El Dorado (i) Long-Shadowed Sun
2. El Dorado (ii) The Gold
3. El Dorado (iii) Demolished Lives
4. El Dorado (iv) F E A R
5. El Dorado (v) The Grandchildren of Apes
6. Living in F E A R
7. The Leavers (i) Wake Up in Music
8. The Leavers (ii) The Remainers
9. The Leavers (iii) Vapour Trails in the Sky
10. The Leavers (iv) The Jumble of Days
11.   The Leavers (v) One Tonight
12.   White Paper
13.   The New Kings (i) Fuck Everyone and Run
14.   The New Kings (ii) Russia’s Locked Doors
15.   The New Kings (iii) A Scary Sky
16.   The New Kings (iv) Why Is Nothing Ever True?
17.   The Leavers (vi) Tomorrow’s New Country

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #776 on: June 28, 2016, 07:06:56 AM »
Wow, only 5 songs?! A CD full of Marillion epics?! Cool...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #777 on: June 28, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »
Interesting that the final part of "The Leavers" is separate from the rest of it. Wonder if it acts as a hidden track?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #778 on: July 06, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
Wow, only 5 songs?! A CD full of Marillion epics?! Cool...

Seriously, this looks more like a Transatlantic tracklisting than a Marillion one. Looks impressive, though I have to wonder how long those multi-part songs will end up being. For all we know, they could only be 15 minutes long...or they could be close to 30!

Interesting that the final part of "The Leavers" is separate from the rest of it. Wonder if it acts as a hidden track?

I've been wondering that, too, but I think it might just be more of a small reprise for the suite, or perhaps, that part of "The Leavers" sounded best to close the album, but they wanted the rest of the suite in the middle of the album? Who knows...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: July 06, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
I also wouldn't put it past them to have sequenced it by keys that flow together. Perhaps that part of "The Leavers" perfectly leads into "White Paper" which perfectly leads into the last epic, but there was still the last part of "The Leavers" to go.

Either way I'm sure Marc is correct in saying they thought that last part of "The Leavers" was the right ending for the record. Bit like the "Shine On..." and "In the Presence of Enemies" situations.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #780 on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:28 AM »
Apparently,  "The New Kings" has been released and runs at 16:36 long.

I think we're definitely looking at a lengthy album here, folks!  :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #781 on: July 07, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
To anyone who pre-ordered through Pledgemusic, check your emails, they sent out The New Kings mp3.

Listening now...pretty classic stuff....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #782 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:46 AM »
I'm excited for this.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #783 on: July 07, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »
And sixteen minutes later, killer fucking tune. I'm sure it's up on YT by now.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #784 on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:43 AM »
Awww man, fucking Rothery's guitars at  the end........right in the feels bro...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #785 on: July 07, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
Okay, now I have to find this song.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #786 on: July 07, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »
NEW KINGS!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #787 on: July 08, 2016, 04:55:11 AM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #788 on: July 08, 2016, 05:25:26 AM »
I forgot to mention this. The other day my Facebook status was a Marillion song quote and the official Marillion Facebook page liked it.  :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #789 on: July 08, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »
From Google Play pre-order:

El Dorado (i) Long-Shadowed Sun
1:26
Album only
El Dorado (ii) the Gold
6:12
Album only
El Dorado (iii) Demolished Lives
2:23
Album only
El Dorado (iv) F E A R
4:07
Album only
El Dorado (v) the Grandchildren of Apes
2:35
Album only
Living in F E A R
6:25
Album only
The Leavers (i) Wake up in Music
4:27
Album only
The Leavers (ii) the Remainers
1:34
Album only
The Leavers (iii) Vapour Trails in the Sky
4:49
Album only
The Leavers (iv) the Jumble of Days
4:20
Album only
The Leavers (v) One Tonight
3:56
Album only
White Paper
7:18
Album only
The New Kings (i) Fuck Everyone and Run
4:22
Album only
The New Kings (ii) Russia's Locked Doors
6:24
Album only
The New Kings (iii) a Scary Sky
2:33
Album only
The New Kings (iv) Why Is Nothing Ever True?
3:24
Album only
Tomorrow's New Country
1:47
Album only
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #790 on: July 08, 2016, 07:10:43 AM »
El Dorado 16:43
Living In FEAR 6:25
The Leavers (I-V) 19:06
White Paper 7:18
The New Kings 16:43
Tomorrow's New Country 1:47
Total- 68:02

Some quick math...and wow. An album of epics and 2 shorter songs. This might be pretty impressive. Their long form pieces do tend to be some of my favorites (as evidenced by their stellar performances of them on their Marillion Weekend release Size Matters).

I wonder if part VI of "The Leavers" will be performed with the rest of it when done live?

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:09:22 AM by The Letter M »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #791 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »
I forgot to mention this. The other day my Facebook status was a Marillion song quote and the official Marillion Facebook page liked it.  :metal
I can apparently top that now  :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #792 on: July 08, 2016, 09:59:26 AM »
The New Kings is actually 16:43, not 17:03. So with El Dorado and The New Kings we have two epics of exactly the same length.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #793 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »
The New Kings is actually 16:43, not 17:03. So with El Dorado and The New Kings we have two epics of exactly the same length.

You're right. I can't do math right when I wake up lol

And I'm sure the similar track lengths were planned.

-Marc.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #794 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
I can apparently top that now  :lol

Seriously. Keep trying, Jeremy.  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #795 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #796 on: July 08, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »
That was amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #797 on: July 08, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »

It sure was.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #798 on: July 08, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »
Now I'm kind of excited to check out their new music lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #799 on: July 08, 2016, 12:02:59 PM »
When I first started listening to them, a friend of mine, who is a huge Marillion fan, told me I'd probably like Season's End. Coincidentally, that album has Easter on it. I still consider it one of my favorite Marillion albums.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #800 on: July 08, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
I think we need a screenshot for those not involved. I posted that I was excited to be listening to new Marillion on FB, and Hef came in and we harmlessly bantered back and forth as we usually do. Then Marillion decided to give Hef a bit of life direction....

Online The Letter M

« Reply #801 on: July 08, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »

Whoa, indeed.

Back when I discovered Transatlantic (after Dream Theater), I decided to check out the other 3 parent-bands Transatlantic's members came from. Spock's Beard came to me easily, as did nearly all of Neal's music up to that time (around 2005 when I discovered them). The Flower Kings came next, not long after, and I quickly lapped up all they had available, anxiously awaiting their next outing (which was Paradox Hotel, an album I didn't quite get into at release, but is now a top 3 TFK album for me). And then there was Marillion.

After SB and TFK, I wasn't really getting into Marillion myself, neither Fish or H era stuff, and I tried. Hard. A lot. Several times. I bought a few of their albums, spun others online, and nothing clicked with me. It wasn't until after Happiness Is The Road that I started to really get into them. Marbles clicked, then so did Season's End and Brave, and slowly but surely, the other albums started sounding good to me. I was getting into them, even Fish era stuff, while dated, started sounding good too.

I think Marillion is a fairly dense band, by that, I mean they've got a sound that is hard to get into, unless you're already opened up to it, or something like it. It's hard to pin down what they sound LIKE, other than themselves, but for whatever reason, their unique sound kind of makes a barrier for a lot of new fans.

I went through a phase of buying up a TON of Marillion stuff, from studio albums, to going on eBay to buy out-of-print Racket Record exclusives (like older Marillion Weekend shows on DVD and CD, or making-of albums, or other random live shows). I spent more money than I care to account on getting a lot of Marillion albums, and I was totally in love with the band and their sound. I missed out on the crowd-funding for HITR, but when Sounds That Can't Be Made came up, I pledged and eagerly awaited the album. I got the gorgeous book-cased CD with a wonderful chipboard slipcover. It's an amazing addition to my collection.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the pre-order campaign for FEAR, and will have to resort to the retail edition. I have to say, though, in the years since STCBM, I've died down on my love for Marillion. Still a great band, yes, but I'm not AS obsessed as I was before. I haven't scoured their Racket Records shop for new Marillion Weekend shows or live albums, and I haven't really listened to them all that much in the last couple of years (I blame Haken and Big Big Train for being the "newer" bands in my life that I have obsessed over).

TL;DR - I can completely resonate with the feel that Marillion is just too hard to get into, so don't feel bad and don't feel pressured to get into them. If you try again in a few years, you may find yourself liking them as I did.

-Marc.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #802 on: July 08, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »
I've listened to pretty much every Marillion album and still can hardly get into their stuff. I mean, I love the hell out of Ocean Cloud, and there's three songs on Sounds That Can't Be Made I like, but a lot of it just does not click for me at all.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #803 on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:22 AM »
I like all Marillion eras, but I definitely prefer the more guitar-driven pre-Marbles albums. That said, I'm really enjoying The New Kings - that solo by Rothery and part IV = :hefdaddy

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: July 09, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
I've listened to pretty much every Marillion album and still can hardly get into their stuff. I mean, I love the hell out of Ocean Cloud, and there's three songs on Sounds That Can't Be Made I like, but a lot of it just does not click for me at all.

This was my exact situation. However, once "Gaza" and "Montreal" made an impression on me, I started listening to STCBM in full and I find the whole thing very consistently impressive now. Then I went back to the full Marbles double disc, and I find that whole thing fairly consistent too. I can't say the same for marillion.com beyond the last two tracks yet, but otherwise this has simply been an exercise in patience more than it was for other prog bands. Now the patience is paying off.