Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232872 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Marillion
« Reply #735 on: March 05, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
Assassing and Jigsaw are two of my favorite Marillion songs, and I also really like Incubus, but the rest of Fugazi hasn't really clicked with me. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Script either, as I feel Marillion's creativity didn't start blooming in full force until Misplaced Childhood.
AFAIK, Steve Rothery refuses to transpose songs, which would be necessary in order for Fish to be able to sing the old Marillion stuff, and that's why even a guest appearance for a song or two is very unlikely.

When Fish sang "Market Square Heroes" with them in 2007(?), it was transposed down a half-step and during the 2013 Weekend, "The Space" was down a full-step for h. :)
True, but Rothery didn't have to change his fingering in either of those cases: MSH was tuned down half a step, while The Space was played without a capo. I think his main gripe would be having to learn new chord shapes, arpeggios, etc. (or doing some serious downtuning) and consequently changing the feel of the songs. After all, in this clip from last year MSH has been transposed down 5 semitones, so Fish's range isn't what it used to be even 10 years ago.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #736 on: March 06, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
I love Fugazi, it always gets overlooked. The album was finished under a lot of time-pressure from the record company while they were on tour. Every song on it has its own flavour, Assassing, Incubus, Punch and Judy are all good, Jigsaw is a nice ballad. Emerald Lies is a standuit track for me, so emotional. She Chameleon is such a great brooding track and the titeltrack tops it all off with a flourish.

I love Fugazi, but it's always been overshadowed by Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws for me. That tour was also the last time the bulk of the pre-Misplaced Childhood songs got played. So it's a good tour to enjoy for historical reasons. It didn't hurt that they were at the top of their game, but Marillion was always like that back then (They still are in a lot of ways, but it's a much different vibe now.)

Back when Fish wasn't doing the nostalgia thing, Incubus was one of the few Marillion songs that made the cut in his solo set. I love Jigsaw, especially live when the crowd gets into it. Very moving. The guy really knew how to perform. I don't think Jigsaw got played as much as some other that album, but it seemed to get a great response when it did.

I love Fugazi too. Definitely a live standout. Fish included it in his 1998 medley when I saw him and it was pretty amazing (even without Rothery.)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #737 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:35 AM »
And it may be followed swiftly by Afraid of Sunlight.

It has been followed swiftly by Afraid of Sunlight. Arrived this morning. Knocked out and re-mastered to bits.

UPDATE: Just finished listening for the first time. Wowee! Stunning album! I love how, with the theme of excess appearing in many of the songs, it feels like a concept album, even if it wasn't fully intended to be (reading the liner notes). Favourite songs are Cannibal Surf Babe, Beautiful, Out Of This World and the epic closer King.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:00:41 AM by RoeDent »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #738 on: April 07, 2016, 06:06:43 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/MarillionOfficial/photos/a.325573389340.149843.8367514340/10154352273899341/?type=3&theater

"Our new album will be released on September 9th 2016. Final date for pre-orders is 17th June. Thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered so far. We are very excited about this album and can't wait to share it with you."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #739 on: April 07, 2016, 06:16:15 AM »
That album name is so un-Marillion.  :lol

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #740 on: April 07, 2016, 09:05:38 AM »
Shi.. Can't wait, My top 5 favorite Band.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #741 on: April 07, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »
Lol, definitely does not sound like a Marillion title. Still excited to hear it and catch them on tour!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #742 on: April 07, 2016, 05:12:43 PM »
It's such a non-Marillion album title that I can only love it and chuckle at the people complaining about it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:56:22 PM by Nel »
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #743 on: April 07, 2016, 05:43:33 PM »
That's one bitchin ass title. This should be interesting.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #744 on: April 09, 2016, 08:25:43 AM »
That's one bitchin ass title. This should be interesting.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #745 on: April 28, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
From Marillon's mail list:

Details on F E A R Special Edition & Ultimate Box Sets:

We are rapidly approaching the deadline of the 17th June for Pre-Ordering/ Upgrading or just generally changing your mind on which version of F E A R you want to receive on Sept 9th. So we thought we would take a minute to go through exactly what you can expect to receive in both the Special Edition and Ultimate box sets.

Firstly, it’s important to note that the approach for this album from the beginning has been to include artwork and film making throughout the whole of the writing and recording process. Usually the plan would be to finish the music, or at least get beyond the jamming stage, before thinking about visuals to accompany the music. This time the two have evolved hand in hand. Hopefully the end result will be something really special; an eclectic mix of visuals that complement and enhance the musical experience.

Each track will have its own artwork and identity. Each will also have its own mini film put together using a wide range of mediums from physical artwork, live action, right through to 3D CGI and motion capture techniques. It's all exciting stuff and we are hoping to bring you something truly unique. These films will eventually be used around the world when the new songs are played live.

Both editions will contain an 180 page art book with extensive images, photography taken during the making of the album, album lyrics and the names of those who pre-ordered that particular format.

The special edition will be printed in the same size book as the special edition version of Sounds That Can't be Made and will be housed in a rigid slipcase.

The Ultimate box set includes a large format 12”/30cm size hardback art book, so you can enjoy the artwork and lyrics in a full Vinyl sized format. As there are fewer names contained in this format there will be room for several extra images, exclusive to this larger book.
This Ultimate edition will also include a separate Lyric and Chord booklet with printed 'handwritten Cheat Sheets' for each song. This version will also include a separate CD with demos of all of the album tracks.
The uniqueness of this version is that you will be able to enjoy the music and all of the new films in High Definition with 96k DTS-HD audio in stereo or 5.1 on the Blu-ray disc that is included with this format.

Please be aware that for both of these versions, we will ONLY manufacture these based on orders received BEFORE 17th June. After that date there will be no more of these made, once they are gone they are gone!

See below for a complete list of what you will get in each of these formats.

Special Edition:
Approx 15cm x 16cm 180 page Hardback Art & Lyrics Book with rigid outer F E A R slipcase.
CD of complete album

DVD containing:
A 'Making of' film approx 45mins+ duration
5.1 mixes (48k DTS) of all album tracks with accompanying still images.
Instrumental versions of each album track.
(Album CD & DVD will all be housed in the Art Booklet.)
A free MP3 download available upon release.

Ultimate Edition Box Set:
Approx 30cm x 30cm 180 page Hardback Art & Lyrics Book.
CD of complete album
Double Vinyl edition of complete album (180g Heavy weight vinyl)

Blu-ray containing:
A 'Making of' film approx 45mins+ duration
HighRes 5.1 & Stereo mixes (96k DTS-HD) of all album tracks with accompanying Films.
Instrumental versions of each album track.
(Album CD, Blu-ray & Vinyl will all be housed in the Main Art Book)

A separate Lyric & Chord Booklet
A separate CD of Demos of all album tracks
4x exclusive F E A R decorative plectrums.
A Campaign edition T-Shirt.
A free MP3 download available upon release.

All of the above items in the Ultimate Edition box set will be presented in a Deluxe F E A R box.

Please Note: You can only make changes to your order, via your PledgeMusic account, BEFORE the payment has been processed. If your payment has already been processed and you wish to change or upgrade your order it's easy to do. Sign in to your account at www.pledgemusic.com/pledges and use the links provided to contact the PledgeMusic team who will be happy to make any changes for you.

The Racket Records Team
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #746 on: June 03, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
First time, ever, listening to this band today. Half way through listening to Misplaced Childhood and got to say it's a VERY impressive first listen. Sure to be giving this plenty more listens  :tup

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #747 on: June 03, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
First time, ever, listening to this band today. Half way through listening to Misplaced Childhood and got to say it's a VERY impressive first listen. Sure to be giving this plenty more listens  :tup

Welcome aboard. May I suggest also developing appreciation for Hogarth era as soon as possible (in addition to Fish). We don't want someone who just appreciates 4 years of this great band over the 25+ years that followed.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: June 03, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »

Welcome aboard. May I suggest also developing appreciation for Hogarth era as soon as possible (in addition to Fish). We don't want someone who just appreciates 4 years of this great band over the 25+ years that followed.

Well to me the Fish era is vastly superiour to the Hogarth era. Let's see how he appreciates the more laid back and minimalistic (to me mostly boring) Hogarth era  :P

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #749 on: June 03, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
I'd definitely recommend the following two albums:

- Clutching at Straws: the definining album of the Fish era for me, and one of the most emotional albums that I know.
- Marbles: best album of the Hogarth era by a mile, though you should definitely make sure to listen to the 2-disc version, because of the absolute beast of a track that is Ocean Cloud. The rest is superb too, especially Neverland.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #750 on: June 03, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
My sample cd from the band came in today and will give it a listen.  Good idea to offer a free cd sampler for folks like myself that have just learned of the band.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #751 on: June 03, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »

- Clutching at Straws: the definining album of the Fish era for me, and one of the most emotional albums that I know.
- Marbles: best album of the Hogarth era by a mile, though you should definitely make sure to listen to the 2-disc version, because of the absolute beast of a track that is Ocean Cloud. The rest is superb too, especially Neverland.

oooooh Ocean Cloud. Such a great song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #752 on: June 03, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
This band is still the biggest failure for me ever.  I tried like hell to get into them, trying many songs from many albums, and they never really stuck. I like probably 10-15 songs of theirs (most of which are from Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws), but even those are ones I just kinda like.

Also, the end of Goodbye to All That on Brave that leads into Hard as Love is the biggest tease ever. That last minute is really awesome, easily one of the two coolest things I have ever heard by them (along with the Easter guitar solo), and then it goes into the boring ass Hard as Love. They should have taken that minute and made a whole song out of it.  :facepalm: :censored

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #753 on: June 03, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »
I find nothing boring about Hard as Love, considering every time the bridge comes in, I'm in tears.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #754 on: June 03, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
I find nothing boring about Hard as Love, considering every time the bridge comes in, I'm in tears.

I agree. It's a really good song. I especially love the background atmosphere the keys give it.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #755 on: June 04, 2016, 03:01:04 AM »
The entire Brave album is one of their greatest achievements. If you don't have goosebumps during The Great Escape, you're not human.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #756 on: June 04, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
I guess I am not human, then. :lol :lol

Brave was the one Marillion CD I bought back when I first tried to get into them, and it consistently bored the hell out of me.  And I gave it many chances.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #757 on: June 04, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »
Of course he's human. He has the ability to reason and his reasoning is that Brave bores him.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: June 04, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »

I dunno how anyone couldn't love that song. Gutted they left it off the Marbles vinyl.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #759 on: June 04, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »

I dunno how anyone couldn't love that song. Gutted they left it off the Marbles vinyl.

Marbles is a pretty killer album, but I think Ocean Cloud could have replaced a couple of other songs on the regular release.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #760 on: June 05, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Um, SACRILEGE ALERT, but don't build up "Ocean Cloud" too much.  It's a good song, but I can't say it is SOOOOO much better than the rest of Marbles.  "Neverland" is the standout track on that album by any standard.   

I honestly think that "Ocean Cloud" gets the love because it's a) long, and b) because the band built up the mystique by making it exclusive to the deluxe version (which is for the hard core fans primarily, and to my knowledge, not available except from the website). 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #761 on: June 05, 2016, 09:18:40 AM »
It's not my favourite on the album (that honour belongs, like you said, to Neverland), but the album is definitely better with it on it, and it's a superb song all the same.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #762 on: June 05, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
Chiming in to disagree with Stadler.   Ocean Cloud...to me...is amazing.   It's not just because it's long.  It's the musical themes, the story, the melody of the chorus, the riff at the "storm" section....that song just absolutely kills it.   Not only my favorite from Marbles, but the best H-era song period.   In fact, I'd be hard pressed to even find a Fish-era song I like better. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #763 on: June 05, 2016, 10:05:40 AM »
Um, SACRILEGE ALERT, but don't build up "Ocean Cloud" too much.  It's a good song, but I can't say it is SOOOOO much better than the rest of Marbles.  "Neverland" is the standout track on that album by any standard.   

I honestly think that "Ocean Cloud" gets the love because it's a) long, and b) because the band built up the mystique by making it exclusive to the deluxe version (which is for the hard core fans primarily, and to my knowledge, not available except from the website).

You're expressing opinions so I'm not sure where the sacrilege comes in. It's a great song and that's all I need to know about it. You don't have to build it up if you don't like it, but I'm not sure where you get off telling ME not to build it up. Should I base my listening needs on what you think is worthy?  ;) Maybe you didn't mean it to sound sanctimonious but it does come off as such.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #764 on: June 05, 2016, 06:12:51 PM »
Ocean Cloud is awesome, it has nothing to do with it being exclusive. From memory, it was only left off per the band wanting to release Marbles in some territories as a single cd.

I love Neverland as well, but I've found my favorite piece from Marbles remains The Invisible Man.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: June 05, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
"Neverland" is good but focuses on the majestic without including the ethereality that makes OC so submersive. It sounds tired... it is the end of a double record, after all. Plus, the weird stuttering delay vocal bit in the middle is a lowlight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #766 on: June 07, 2016, 09:44:24 AM »

You're expressing opinions so I'm not sure where the sacrilege comes in. It's a great song and that's all I need to know about it. You don't have to build it up if you don't like it, but I'm not sure where you get off telling ME not to build it up. Should I base my listening needs on what you think is worthy?  ;) Maybe you didn't mean it to sound sanctimonious but it does come off as such.

I apologize; I don't mean to be sanctimonious, only to say that anytime someone builds up an entire double album based on one song, it's fraught with peril if the person doesn't jibe with that one song.   And given that I don't jibe with that song, it's possible.  It's not like that song is "Stairway To Heaven" or "Bohemian Rhapsody", beloved by the masses.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #767 on: June 07, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »

I apologize; I don't mean to be sanctimonious, only to say that anytime someone builds up an entire double album based on one song, it's fraught with peril if the person doesn't jibe with that one song.   And given that I don't jibe with that song, it's possible.  It's not like that song is "Stairway To Heaven" or "Bohemian Rhapsody", beloved by the masses.

I understand and I agree that some people are guilty of what you said. I can assure you that I'm not one of them. I agree with your earlier assessment about Neverland being the standout track. In my opinion, Ocean Cloud is the next best song.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #768 on: June 07, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »
I actually like the vocal stuttering/repeating/echoing effect on Neverland. It is something different, and unique, and it conveys a type of emotion you don't hear all that often from H or for that matter, many other singers. I actually think if it wasn't there, Neverland wouldn't be as good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #769 on: June 07, 2016, 02:48:21 PM »
Marbles is, and probably always will be, my favorite Marillion album. The three epics act as pillars that hold up the beginning, middle and end of the album, and are all VERY strong songs. The "Marbles" tracks tie everything together as a sort of musical glue that reminds us of that theme as we travel through the album. And the rest of the shorter songs are all amazing in their own ways.

Though, if i had to rank those three epics, I'd put Neverland first, then Ocean Cloud, and finally The Invisible Man, but they'd all be VERY close to each other. All three are very emotionally moving and powerful, and I always find myself choking up a little bit when listening to them.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!