Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232942 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marillion
« Reply #665 on: May 20, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
I like both singers - my top 2 albums are CAS and Seasons End. I'm glad the band parted ways with Fish, because as cool as another album with him would've been, obviously the chemistry wasn't there anymore. Luckily we have both Marillion and Fish's solo career to follow.

CaS is their best body of work. I think the chemisty was just getting right.  Obviously the stories that have been told of why the split happened proved off-stage chemistry lead to their demise (as well as financial quibbling)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #666 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
I have come to feel it would have been best for them to change their name after Fish left, but it was kind of past the point of no return. But just in terms of sound, it would have made a lot of sense.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #667 on: June 05, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
I have come to feel it would have been best for them to change their name after Fish left, but it was kind of past the point of no return. But just in terms of sound, it would have made a lot of sense.

I thought they were essentially the same until Brave although they started messing with the logo for Holidays In Eden.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #668 on: June 07, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
I like both singers - my top 2 albums are CAS and Seasons End. I'm glad the band parted ways with Fish, because as cool as another album with him would've been, obviously the chemistry wasn't there anymore. Luckily we have both Marillion and Fish's solo career to follow.

CaS is their best body of work. I think the chemisty was just getting right.  Obviously the stories that have been told of why the split happened proved off-stage chemistry lead to their demise (as well as financial quibbling)

Agreed, I feel it's there most complete work with either singer. Maybe it's a case of the chemistry only hitting on all cylinders in a state of complete rage, kind of like that chick who only is a firecracker in the sack when she's hella pissed at ya, and that day when you're pissed at her too and you both pour all that anger into the lovin'.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #669 on: June 11, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
Is this a trip or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHnXHGafpg

My wife played this for me the other day (without looking at it) and I thought it was a lost live recording.

Enjoy!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #670 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:56 PM »
That's frikkin spooky man...now if they could just get him to do Grendel...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #671 on: June 17, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Misplaced Childhood is 30 years old today! You can read my thoughts here.

Also, I happened to check the official store today and I'm glad I did, because Racket Records is having a summer sale: https://marillion.com/shop/offers.php I think I'll grab a few of the Weekend DVDs...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #672 on: June 20, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Misplaced Childhood is 30 years old today! You can read my thoughts here.

Also, I happened to check the official store today and I'm glad I did, because Racket Records is having a summer sale: https://marillion.com/shop/offers.php I think I'll grab a few of the Weekend DVDs...

Damn!  How freaky.

I completely forgot about that but a friend of ours wanted to hear the studio album again that night (I'd have opted for live) so we played it. That is too scary.

My wife just told me she realized it, but said she decided to smile quietly and keep it to herself.

Feeling a bit ignorant now.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #673 on: September 01, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
new album preorder up:

https://marillion.pmstores.co/#exclusives

per Pledgemusic

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #674 on: September 01, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »
That video... :lol

As a relatively new fan I've never participated in their pre-order campaigns before, but I think I'll get myself the special edition. 51€ isn't a bad price for a box set, especially when it includes shipping.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #675 on: September 14, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
new album preorder up:

https://marillion.pmstores.co/#exclusives

per Pledgemusic

Hard to believe they are outsourcing this given that they are one of the ones who wrote the book on it.

I want the campaign edition, but I don't want my name in it.  I was able buy them without my name in them previously. May just get the regular edition now.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #676 on: September 14, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Can you leave the space blank when they ask your name?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #677 on: September 14, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »

Good question. I'll look into that.

I suppose I can even leave a fake name.

Problem solved. Thanks!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: September 15, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
That video... :lol

As a relatively new fan I've never participated in their pre-order campaigns before, but I think I'll get myself the special edition. 51€ isn't a bad price for a box set, especially when it includes shipping.
So the "Essence of Marillion" is Fish, right?

:corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #679 on: September 15, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »

Problem solved. Thanks!

Use your pron name.  Or your hotel name. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #680 on: September 27, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »

Problem solved. Thanks!

Use your pron name.  Or your hotel name.

I'll use my Ashley Madison name!

Offline Deathless

« Reply #681 on: November 05, 2015, 06:48:17 AM »
So I've heard bits and pieces of this band before, but I listened through Clutching at Straws in it's entirety last night and I'm hooked. Should I just start at the beginning of the discography and work all the way through? I've read up on Fish/Hogarth, etc, so I know the vocals will change etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: November 05, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »
So I've heard bits and pieces of this band before, but I listened through Clutching at Straws in it's entirety last night and I'm hooked. Should I just start at the beginning of the discography and work all the way through? I've read up on Fish/Hogarth, etc, so I know the vocals will change etc.

My opinion?  As someone who got into the band with Misplaced Childhood and has been a fan since? 

Go in this order:
Clutching At Straws
Misplaced Childhood
Script For a Jester's Tear (and the b-sides)
Fugazi
Real to Reel (LIVE)
Thieving Magpie or Live at Lorelei (LIVE)

Then hit the Hogarth, in chronological order.  Not so much with the Fish years, since it was only about six years or so (from album 1 to album 4) but you should experience the progression from Season's End, which is just a Fish-era album with Hogarth's vocals, to something like Marbles or Happiness...  which is nothing like the first four in any way.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: November 05, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »
Not sure if Fish has his own thread.. couldn't find it.

https://shop.fishheads.club/product/sunsets-on-empire-re-mastered-box-set/

https://shop.fishheads.club/product/raingods-with-zippos-remastered-box-set/

Here's two of his albums remastered he's got up for order.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #684 on: November 06, 2015, 05:51:10 AM »
Marillion are my band of the year. Having started the year with just Marbles, over the course of 2015 I have purchased five of their albums: Brave, Sounds That Can't Be Made, Anoraknophobia, Holidays in Eden and Seasons End. I've completely fallen in love with Dry Land (off HiE). Just an incredibly beautiful, spacious song. Brave is a very moving album too, especially The Great Escape.

And they get my 2,500th forum post.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: November 06, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
Marillion are my band of the year. Having started the year with just Marbles, over the course of 2015 I have purchased five of their albums: Brave, Sounds That Can't Be Made, Anoraknophobia, Holidays in Eden and Seasons End. I've completely fallen in love with Dry Land (off HiE). Just an incredibly beautiful, spacious song. Brave is a very moving album too, especially The Great Escape.

And they get my 2,500th forum post.  :tup

Interesting.  HUGE Marillion fan (both incarnations) and though I missed them opening for Rush on the infamous MC tour (they played 20 minutes from me while I was in college and I opted to skip it) I've seen Marillion with Hogarth twice and Fish three times.

Curious what you think of the six albums you have:  they have, what, 15 albums now, and if you asked me to name FIVE you have to have, you only have two on that list (Marbles and Brave).   HiE was decidedly lackluster after Seasons End, which is a stellar album (King of Sunset Town live was mesmerizing, and sold me hook line and sinker on Hogarth).  For me, "After Me" is everything you describe Dry Land as, and for me, Dry Land is just a rewrite of After Me.  Anoraknophobia was good not great, but at the time it smelled faintly of desperation, what with the single coming "two for one" with a letter to be sent to radio stations, and statements to critics about how it's "not prog", and name-dropping Massive Attack every 46 seconds.   At the time I was on a Marillion hiatus (they completely and utterly lost me with This Strange Engine, to this day a competitor for least favorite Marillion album along with Somewhere Else).   After taking a flier on Marbles (which I love love love) I went back and got Radiation (LOVE IT, both versions), marillion.com (LOVE IT), and Anoraknophobia (like it) and subsequently fell in love with Afraid of Sunlight (LOVE IT).

Two thoughts for those digging in:  once you make it through the albums proper, you MUST seek out the EMI b-sides compilations.   They are cheap ($10, $15 in the US) and three (Fish era)/four (Hogarth) era sets with all the b-sides.  The b-sides from Season's End are all album quality (and often get played live) and some of the Brave material (edits, mostly) is really interesting. 

2.  You might find that the Hogarth material that Dave Meegan is involved with is I'll say different (though I mean "better", because I like it a lot more) than the rest of the material with Hogarth.  Just an observation.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #686 on: November 06, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
After Me hasn't grabbed me yet. It's all about the chord progressions. The chorus of Dry Land has chords that just get me.

My least favourite of the six albums I have is probably Sounds That Can't Be Made. Not that I don't like the songs; not at all. I just find it's an exhausting listen, and the 10-minute The Sky Above the Rain feels like a trudge having already had 17- (Gaza) and 14-minute (Montreal) songs to get through. My concentration levels have usually been sapped by the time I get to TSATR, and that, sadly, means I don't feel like giving it a spin all that often.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #687 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #688 on: November 06, 2015, 01:31:24 PM »
Welp, I found the 2-disc version of Holidays In Eden, so that's on the way, meaning I'll have every studio album except whatever this new one is.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #689 on: December 08, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
2016 NA Tour Dates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fMpMQWHOy4

Oct 21 San Francisco, CA
Oct 22 Beverly Hills, CA
Oct 25 Denver, CO
Oct 27 Chicago, IL
Oct 28 Chicago, IL
Oct 29 Northfield, OH
Oct 31 Toronto, ON
Nov 1 Montreal, QC
Nov 2 Quebec
Nov 4 Boston, MA
Nov 5 Washington, DC
Nov 6 Glenside, PA
Nov 8 New York, New York

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #690 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »
2016 NA Tour Dates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fMpMQWHOy4

Oct 21 San Francisco, CA
Oct 22 Beverly Hills, CA
Oct 25 Denver, CO
Oct 27 Chicago, IL
Oct 28 Chicago, IL
Oct 29 Northfield, OH
Oct 31 Toronto, ON
Nov 1 Montreal, QC
Nov 2 Quebec
Nov 4 Boston, MA
Nov 5 Washington, DC
Nov 6 Glenside, PA
Nov 8 New York, New York

They're playing within a 3 hour distance from me, which is probably the closest they've ever played since I became a fan, or at least, have cared to know. I may have to save up and go to this one if tickets aren't too expensive. Surprising they have so many tour dates for a NA tour. Looks like their hard work has paid off, and the fans' hard work as well. Big rounds of applause for the band and their fans for making a 13-date NA Tour possible!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #691 on: December 08, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »
Love the theater in Glenside. And they were amazing on the cruise, even though I don't follow the H era much. If tickets are reasonable I'll likely be there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Deathless

« Reply #692 on: December 08, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
Damn, nothing in the southeast. I might try and head up to DC or maybe Ohio... I need to see them live!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #693 on: December 19, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
this is worth a laugh or 2, for those who've never seen it.

https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Marillion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #694 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
Love the theater in Glenside. And they were amazing on the cruise, even though I don't follow the H era much. If tickets are reasonable I'll likely be there.

We'll be at the Keswick. I doubt it will sell out so we'll get tickets closer to the show. New York is tempting since it's on election night and the last gig of the tour.

A friend of ours is trying to convince us to go to DC instead since it's on the weekend, but that's not going to happen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »
I'm going to head down there as well (from Connecticut).  I used to live in Philly, so it's a chance to get back for a day or two.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #696 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »
Has anybody watched the new documentary they just released?

I'm thinking of going to the Denver show. Never seen Marillion live but I simply love the Hogarth era so I can't miss this one.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #697 on: January 04, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
I bought Clutching at Straws today, my first Fish-era Marillion album (7th overall).

Offline Deathless

« Reply #698 on: January 04, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
I bought Clutching at Straws today, my first Fish-era Marillion album (7th overall).

It's a fantastic album. I really liked the direction they were heading (and they obviously developed more with H's first few albums as well).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: January 04, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »

It's a fantastic album. I really liked the direction they were heading (and they obviously developed more with H's first few albums as well).

My favorite Marillion album, and in my top ten favorites of all time.  LOVE that album.