Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232669 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Marillion
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
The biggest single emotional punch on the album for me is, "And if you ever come across us, don't give us your sympathy. Just buy us a drink and just shake our hands. And you'll recognize, by the reflection in our eyes, that deep down inside we're all one and the same."

I can't hear that and not get chills.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
How about "Is it wrong to talk to myself even when there's nobody else, I'm just checking out that I'm not going under the water, thrown to the beach like a seal ready for slaughter."  I read somewhere that when Fish's wife read the lyrics to Going Under, she started crying and asked Fish what was wrong in his life.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 01:52:49 AM »
Listening to Brave for the second time right now... Goodbye To All That definitely is too long, h sometimes overdoes it with the whispering, but the run from The Hollow Man to The Great Escape is damn amazing (the title track in particular). Made Again doesn't fit the album's mood at all, though. Thinking about deleting it from my collection and leaving The Great Escape as the ending track...

The vinyl version of the album had "twin grooves" on side four, one running as per the CD, the other having a "spiral remix" of the Great Escape (available on the 2CD remaster version) and then just extended water noise, omitting Made Again.

Made Again is a great song, it's really uplifting and provides a final note of optimism at the end of what would otherwise be a very bleak album.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 03:04:32 AM »
See, that's the problem I have with the song. It doesn't really fit the concept imo (what's wrong with bleak albums anyway?). Also, the lyrics are horrible. I'm not a big fan of John Helmer's lyrics anyway, but those are just trying way too hard to be uplifting.

And Afraid Of Sunlight might have become my second or third favourite Marillion album by now.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Chas

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 04:51:56 AM »
Love Forgotten Sons off Script For A Jester's Tear.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:31 AM »
I'm one of those stubborn a-holes who maintains that none of the H-era stuff can hold a candle to Fish-era Marillion.   (what happened to the :flamethrower smiley)?

I concur.

count me in this group as well
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm in that group as well. Season's End comes close, but it's still not as good as the first four.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »
@Nick:  How is Fish's solo stuff?  I remember you bought his newest album at NEARfest, but I can't remember if you had heard any of his other stuff.  Does it come close to the awesomeness of the 4 Fish-era Marillion albums?  Some of the stuff I heard him play in concert sounded pretty cool.

Also, I read on his website that the NEARfest DVD was pushed back until October.  Here's hoping it actually gets released, it'd be cool to have a DVD that I can say I was at, especially since I don't get out to many concerts.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »
Yeah, that DVD got pushed back so Fish could focus on his convention this year.

I have quite a few of his albums, with his newest, 13th Star, being my favorite. It's not as good as the Fish-era Marillion albums, but then again, what it? A lot of it is a bit more straightforward, and perhaps in a strange way a bit more theatrical and epic in a more traditional, less progressive sense.

To get a good overview I'd suggest picking up the Return to Childhood DVD. It's a set of his solo stuff followed by Misplaced Childhood. As for studio albums I prefer 13th Star, Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors, Internal Exile, and Fellini Days.

Also, one of the songs he played in concert, but not on any of those albums was a song he didn't originally right called "Faith Healer", if you get a chance just check out that track because it's fucking awesome.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations :tup

Just from the 4 Marillion albums he sang on, he's become one of my favorite vocalists, so I'm definitely interested in hearing more stuff he sings on.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »

I have quite a few of his albums, with his newest, 13th Star, being my favorite. It's not as good as the Fish-era Marillion albums, but then again, what it? A lot of it is a bit more straightforward, and perhaps in a strange way a bit more theatrical and epic in a more traditional, less progressive sense.

To get a good overview I'd suggest picking up the Return to Childhood DVD. It's a set of his solo stuff followed by Misplaced Childhood. As for studio albums I prefer 13th Star, Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors, Internal Exile, and Fellini Days.

Also, one of the songs he played in concert, but not on any of those albums was a song he didn't originally right called "Faith Healer", if you get a chance just check out that track because it's fucking awesome.

Faith Healer (live) originally appeared as a B-side to the Big Wedge single. I can't remember now if it was reissued on anything else. It's a song from The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Fish played it a lot on some of the earlier tours and he brought it back for the 13th Star tour.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »

Faith Healer (live) originally appeared as a B-side to the Big Wedge single. I can't remember now if it was reissued on anything else. It's a song from The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Fish played it a lot on some of the earlier tours and he brought it back for the 13th Star tour.

If you can find it, the four single "fortunes of War" set is filled with awesome live tracks from some acoustic shows.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »

If you can find it, the four single "fortunes of War" set is filled with awesome live tracks from some acoustic shows.

It's been a while since I've had that on too.  There's a pretty decent version of Sugar Mice on Fortunes Of War as I recall.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »
Marillion is my favorite band. I don't feel they've ever released a bad record. And I consider 5 of their albums 5-stars, or more or less flawless, with Brave being what I regard as my favorite album of all-time. It's the most gut-renching, emotionally charged experience, I only listen to it at certain times and moods. The other 4 5-star records: Clutching, Childhood, Sunlight, and Marbles all are as significant work in their career as anything.

The rest of their discography contains a lot of good to very good albums. Some of the epics namely standout. 100 Nights/This Town, This Strange Engine, Interior Lulu. Grendel, which I think I'd like to add the version that is on B-Sides Themselves is a vastly superior version than the one included on the 'Script remaster.

Somewhere Else I think as grown as much as any album of theirs, on me. It's different, but the more I play it and Happiness, the more I find those 2 records being pretty close in quality.

Radiation I'd say somewhat the same about. It was a different kind of record, but more than enough of it still works over time. Plus songs like "These Chains" and especially "A Few Words For the Dead" are as moving as anything they've done, it makes my view of that record a lot better than it was when I regarded it the worst thing they ever did.

I'm not really sure what is their worst album. Perhaps Fugazi or Anorak..but even both of them have a lot of music I like, it's really hard to regard them much different than say Holidays or Somewhere Else.

Fish's solo work is pretty good. I own 3 or 4 of his. Raingods with Zippos has the outstanding Plague of Ghosts suite. Steven Wilson helps out there. Sunsets on Empires and Internal Exile are both spotty. His latest, 13th Star I was surprisingly impressed by. I don't own a hardcopy, but from listening to it on mp3, I just remember it being a little heavier and a little catchier than I expected.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
While I do prefer the Fish material in general, I've been getting more into Brave lately, and damn if that isn't an awesome album :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
While I do prefer the Fish material in general, I've been getting more into Brave lately, and damn if that isn't an awesome album :tup

I'm one of the few (the only one?) that is not much of a fan of Brave. It puts me to sleep. The version on Made Again is only a slight improvement for me.

Brave and Afraid of Sunlight are far and away my least favorite Marillion albums. I pretty much love everything else. (Although I still don't have Happiness is the Road yet).

Oddly, Fish's solo albums from that same period (Songs From the Mirror and Suits) are also my least favorite of his discography.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2009, 07:08:07 AM »
Alright, so I got This Strange Engine, Radiation and marillion.com a few days ago. Haven't heard the latter two, but TSE is kind of a mixed bag for me. The title track, Estonia and Man Of A Thousand Faces are great songs, no question. An Accidental Man could have been such a good song if it wasn't for the terrible chorus. Memory Of Water is a nice little interlude, could be a grower. Don't really care much for 80 Days and One Fine Day (it's mostly the lyrics that pull these songs down, I really don't like Helmer's style). Hope For The Future might be the worst Marillion song I've ever heard. It's worse than No One Can and even Made Again imo. Seriously, I don't know what was going on while they were writing this song... Didn't even bother to include it in my music collection.

Mentlegen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
Alright, so I got This Strange Engine, Radiation and marillion.com a few days ago. Haven't heard the latter two, but TSE is kind of a mixed bag for me. The title track, Estonia and Man Of A Thousand Faces are great songs, no question. An Accidental Man could have been such a good song if it wasn't for the terrible chorus. Memory Of Water is a nice little interlude, could be a grower. Don't really care much for 80 Days and One Fine Day (it's mostly the lyrics that pull these songs down, I really don't like Helmer's style). Hope For The Future might be the worst Marillion song I've ever heard. It's worse than No One Can and even Made Again imo. Seriously, I don't know what was going on while they were writing this song... Didn't even bother to include it in my music collection.

I LOVE This Strange Engine (especially since I was not very fond of the two albums that came before it).

I think Hogarth's voice sounds very natural and organic on this record. I wish he'd sing like this a lot more than he does (which is not to say he never does, I'd just like him to do it more).

I also really like Radiation (but many people don't), mostly because it has many Beatlesque qualities which I think are cool. It's also very under produced and raw sound, which I like a lot too.

Marillion.com is my least favorite of the three, largely due to Interior Lulu. I think the rest of the album is pretty good though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »
I really dig "Tales From the Engine Room" which is TSE remixed. I really wish more bands could have remixes done how that one is. If I knew how to use the software, hell, I'd do it. I've imagined how a song like "Scarred" from Dream Theater might sound remixed in that style, with echoing and re-occurring themes.

I always liked TSE, but TFtER kind of added to my appreciation for it. For some reason, really good remixes do that for me.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 12:42:58 AM »

I LOVE This Strange Engine (especially since I was not very fond of the two albums that came before it).

I think Hogarth's voice sounds very natural and organic on this record. I wish he'd sing like this a lot more than he does (which is not to say he never does, I'd just like him to do it more).

I also really like Radiation (but many people don't), mostly because it has many Beatlesque qualities which I think are cool. It's also very under produced and raw sound, which I like a lot too.

Marillion.com is my least favorite of the three, largely due to Interior Lulu. I think the rest of the album is pretty good though.

I listened to Radiation yesterday. It's more consistent than TSE imo, but it lacks the real highlights. Cathedral Wall is amazing, A Few Words For The Dead is very good, but the rest floats around between OK and good.

I'll check out marillion.com today if I have the time.

Mentlegen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »
New Acoustic album "Less Is More" (L=M) drops October 2nd. Detaisl on

https://blogs.myspace.com/marillion

We are pleased to announce that Less Is More will be distributed throughout Europe (and therefore hopefully available in all good record shops). The release date for the album is October 2nd.

Racket Records and Marillion will also be stocking the new album and ordering details will be available on our site soon. We will not start shipping ordered copies until October 2nd but everyone who orders from us will receive a free download of the album on this date. The album will also be available to buy at most of our concerts dates (with the possible exception of 6th - 18th November dates).

The tracklisting is:

GO
INTERIOR LULU
OUT OF THIS WORLD
WRAPPED UP IN TIME
THE SPACE
HARD AS LOVE
QUARTZ
IF MY HEART WERE A BALL
IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT
THE MEMORY OF WATER
THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY

(plus additional hidden track)

Enjoy!

h, Pete, Ian, Steve and Mark
x

"It's Not Your Fault" in fact, an unrecorded song. Something they've done live recently perhaps?

some videos with footage, samples, etc on their official youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/marilliononline

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 12:49:38 AM »
I read about this a few days ago, sounds very nice. But since I don't have any Marillion album that was released in this decade, I guess I have to wait.

So... marillion.com doesn't sound that bad. Interior Lulu is amazing, and House is very good too. I like the obvious, but nice Massive Attack influence.
Deserve, Go! and A Legacy are quite good as well, and Enlightened is decent, but Rich is very poppy, and I don't really like the lyrics (the chorus is very cool, though). Built-In Bastard Radar is bad, really bad, and the lyrics (as most of John Helmer's) are facepalm-worthy. Plus, the sonic inconsistency doesn't make listening to this album an exceptional experience. So far, I would give this album a 6.5-7, but I hope that this album is a grower.

Mentlegen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
I think I'm pretty much certain to like the new version of Interior Lulu since I'm not fond of the original.

In any case, I won't be in any hurry to get this but I will eventually.

Ommadawn

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
A huge Marillion's fan here  :tup

My favorite albums are Brave, Clutching At Straws, Seasons End, Marbles, Holidays In Eden, Afraid Of Sunlight...

Steve Rothery is probably one of my favourite guitar player!!  :D

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »
Less is More is available on pre-order, here are some preview songs:

https://www.ilike.com/artist/Marillion/track/Hard%20As%20Love%20-%20Acoustic/
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »
My L=M shipped this morning.  :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
My L=M shipped this morning.  :metal

Awesome!  I preordered it a few days ago.  I'm interested to hear the new versions of This is the 21st Century, Lulu, Quartz, and The Space.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
I just downloaded the pre-order edition, it's very nicely done. I'm very happy with it, very chill and soothing.

quartz is a completely different song. pretty cool too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:55:33 PM by zerogravityfat »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »
I got my copy on October 2nd.  I'm very confused, since I thought it would take longer.  Oh well.  I'm happy with Quartz, 21st Century, Go!, Interior Lulu, Hard as Love, and The Space.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:51 AM »
interior lulu is really agreeing with me lately. i love listening to this album.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
From the "Biggest Fan of..." thread:

Those are some great pics. I love the London clock picture. That should be on a live album cover. How did you get him on TV in the states? (That's got to be some sort of miracle.)

That would make for a great live album cover! It was awesome how open he was to everything that we did that day, like taking crazy pictures like that. (I'll have to go digging for more of them, I'm not too sure where the rest of them went in the move) He especially liked how all of the places that I took him in the Bay Area where landmarks of places that only exist online (Google/ebay/Apple/etc...). He said something to the effect of "You go around Europe to see castles and ancient buildings. Here, you go to see the famous places that exist on the Internet!". I definitely got the sense that h loved the American people and fans, but was not fond of America itself.

As for getting him on TV, that was JustJen's idea. She knew that I was working at NBC at the time, and suggested that I get him on the show. So I asked my producer, and she was happy to have a guest on the show who wasn't a local cook for the millionth time! Also, the director was a big music fan, and had heard of Marillion from back in the day. (He was always wearing his King Crimson "beat" shirt) It was definitely a miracle....

Side note: I did find it odd that h didn't pay for his coffee at breakfast. We just kind of up and left. Maybe that's customary in Europe, but it's not here in the States. I didn't say anything. heh.

P.S. I also have a habit of running into Pete in public. It get's to the point were he thinks that I am following him! (I'm not, I swear!) But maybe he likes it, because (if the DVD ever comes out you'll see) at the latest Weekend convention we "I Love You'd" each other after their set. It was awkward and funny, and I'm sure that it was captured on video. :blush

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2009, 12:07:04 AM »
Less is More, while I enjoy it, and even got goosebumps during a couple of sections last time I played it, I can't jusify placing it in my top 50 records for the year. Why? mainly due to lack of addiction to it, but also a re-arrangements/remixes album doesn't get quite as much weight with me.

That being said, I'm not sure it's as-good, but I think it's the best acoustic re-arrangements record I've heard anyone make since 12:5.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2009, 01:10:43 AM »
Less is More, while I enjoy it, and even got goosebumps during a couple of sections last time I played it, I can't jusify placing it in my top 50 records for the year. Why? mainly due to lack of addiction to it, but also a re-arrangements/remixes album doesn't get quite as much weight with me.

That being said, I'm not sure it's as-good, but I think it's the best acoustic re-arrangements record I've heard anyone make since 12:5.

I agree with everything you said. I actually prefer 12:5 to it, though. That album is brilliant. L = M is just a fun album to keep me company until Marillion's next venture. (I love Go!, Quartz, and Hard as Love the most from it)

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2009, 03:48:06 AM »
I went to see Marilion on the Less is More Acoustic tour at Cadogan Hall, and there were plenty of cameras around, so I'm hoping for a live DVD of what was truly one of the best Marillion shows I've seen - albeit one of the shortest. Monday night got Estonia and Answering Machine added to the setlist, but those of us who only went on Sunday got short-changed slightly. Anyway, great show, and it'll make one hell of a great DVD.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
L=M is such a fun album to listen to.  Not so fond of Cannibal Surf Babe and Its Not Your Fault, but everything else is really nice.  Hopefully this keeps the band from following a good/awesome album with a crappy one.