Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 236282 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marillion
« Reply #525 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
Picked up Clutching at Straws and Seasons End today too. 6.99 each at bestbuy.com.. I figured why not.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #526 on: July 05, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
Picked up Clutching at Straws and Seasons End today too. 6.99 each at bestbuy.com.. I figured why not.

One of my favorite albums ever.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: July 05, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »

One of my favorite albums ever.

which one?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #528 on: July 05, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
Oops, my eyes saw Clutching at straws and everything else was blocked out, so that was what I was referring too, but that's not to say that Seasons End doesn't have its merits. Despite being a huge Fish mark, Easter is probably my favorite Marillion song. And the title track from Seasons End is hot too.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #529 on: July 06, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Both are awesome albums but I prefer Seasons End.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: July 06, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
Both are awesome albums but I prefer Seasons End.

:)

So I've got: Seasons End, Marbles (2CD), Clutching at Straws, STCBM, Misplaced Childhood  - all en route. Should have them all by the end of next week.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #531 on: July 06, 2013, 09:00:06 AM »
 :tup Misplaced Childhood is the album that got me into prog. And Straws is pretty damn sweet as well!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: July 06, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »
:tup Misplaced Childhood is the album that got me into prog. And Straws is pretty damn sweet as well!

Yeah I scored M.P on Vinyl a few weeks back for 4 bucks locally at a used record shop.  Decided to pick up the CD too.. listening to a lot of Marillion on Pandora the last couple days.. why didn't I pick up on them sooner?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: July 06, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
Found Afraid of Sunlight at a used CD shop for 3.99. Can't beat that.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #534 on: July 06, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
Speaking of used Marillion CDs, I was at my local FYE recently and saw someone had sold their original CD issues of the band's first four albums (and maybe Seasons End, Holidays In Eden and Brave as well, I don't recall). It was weird and a bit saddening that I saw them there since it probably means that someone either REALLY needed the money or just wasn't a fan of the music anymore. Or perhaps it was some guy's mother who decided to sell off his collection of prog albums, because I also saw some other albums that were prog and prog-related.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #535 on: July 06, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »

So I've got: Seasons End, Marbles (2CD), Clutching at Straws, STCBM, Misplaced Childhood  - all en route. Should have them all by the end of next week.

You are in for a treat my friend.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: July 06, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »
Just won an ebay auction for:

SEASON'S END/HOLIDAYS IN EDEN/BRAVE/STRANGE ENGINE

So the Season's End I have ordered at BBY.com will be canceled.  Woo more discs!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: July 07, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Damn. there's a 4 pack 'box' on Amazon I could have got for less than buying some of these individually.. gah

It was Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Seasons End and Holidays in Eden for like 17.50 on amazon.  I think I ended up paying close to $23 (and two of them used)..

I hate it when I find better deals later.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #538 on: July 07, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
Damn. there's a 4 pack 'box' on Amazon I could have got for less than buying some of these individually.. gah

It was Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Seasons End and Holidays in Eden for like 17.50 on amazon.  I think I ended up paying close to $23 (and two of them used)..

Are those (or the ones you DID order) the 2-Disc Special Edition EMI Remasters that were released, with the letters MARILLION on the spines across the first 8 albums?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: July 07, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »

Are those (or the ones you DID order) the 2-Disc Special Edition EMI Remasters that were released, with the letters MARILLION on the spines across the first 8 albums?

-Marc.

Not sure, they haven't arrived yet.  Is there a problem with those? I don't recall any of them other than Marbles being a Madfish/2CD release...

It seems Misplaced Childhood is 1 disc according to amazon, but the autorip gave me the 2 disc EMI Remaster.
Season's End and Clutching at straws are listed as 1 CD.  I'm sure the Holiday's in Eden is too (that one is off eBay)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:31:38 PM by Mindflux »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #540 on: July 07, 2013, 10:25:09 PM »
Nothing's wrong with them, they're absolutely great! The 2nd discs are full of demos and other cool tracks, as well as the B-Sides from singles.

-Marc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #541 on: July 08, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »
Definitely go for the 2-disc versions, especially "Clutching at Straws", which has the demos for their next, aborted, album. The 2-disc of "Seasons End" is long out-of-print though, so good luck tracking that down!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: July 08, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
Definitely go for the 2-disc versions, especially "Clutching at Straws", which has the demos for their next, aborted, album. The 2-disc of "Seasons End" is long out-of-print though, so good luck tracking that down!

i'm not having any luck tracking down anything 2 disc except marbles. most of what i've ordered has been single disc...

*edit: rather I should say without them being 20+ dollars.  For instance Clutching At Straws (1 disc) was 6.99.. 2 disc is 21 on amazon. HRMM But some resellers have it for 7 bucks new + 3.99 ship.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:31:27 AM by Mindflux »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: July 10, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
So the 4 discs I got from eBay came. Discs are in immaculate shape, but the jewel cases and liners are yellowed horribly.  Upon opening the package a stench came forth. I think it's cigarette smoke (which could explain the yellowing).. my wife thinks it's cat pee/ammonia.

Not pleased :(

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #544 on: July 10, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
I waited almost 9 years to pick up Marbles....at first I couldn't find it, then I just refused to buy half a product.

Just a few months ago, I saw the Madfish version at a local CD shop.   It was worth every minute, and every penny.   Ocean Cloud is the best Marillion song I've ever heard.
Ocean Cloud is my favorite Marillion song as well. Seeing it live last year was such an incredible experience. I was in shock when they started playing it as I never thought I'd ever get to hear it live.

I've just now heard Ocean Cloud.  It is amazingly beautiful and lyrics are profound.  Love it!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #545 on: July 10, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
I waited almost 9 years to pick up Marbles....at first I couldn't find it, then I just refused to buy half a product.

Just a few months ago, I saw the Madfish version at a local CD shop.   It was worth every minute, and every penny.   Ocean Cloud is the best Marillion song I've ever heard.
Ocean Cloud is my favorite Marillion song as well. Seeing it live last year was such an incredible experience. I was in shock when they started playing it as I never thought I'd ever get to hear it live.
I've just now heard Ocean Cloud.  It is amazingly beautiful and lyrics are profound.  Love it!
:tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #546 on: July 10, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »

Those demos depress the crap out of me to this day.  I've been okay with the split since about the time This Strange Engine came out, but listening to those demos still gives me the raw feeling of being stabbed in the heart.

I guess that's why I don't listen to those demos much. Even listening to Kevin Gilbert doesn't affect me the way those demos do.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Those demos depress the crap out of me to this day.  I've been okay with the split since about the time This Strange Engine came out, but listening to those demos still gives me the raw feeling of being stabbed in the heart.

I guess that's why I don't listen to those demos much. Even listening to Kevin Gilbert doesn't affect me the way those demos do.

Why is this?   I don't know anything about the demos. You just like the Fish era stuff that much?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #548 on: July 11, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
I think he means they showed a lot of promise.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
I think he means they showed a lot of promise.

Exactly. Think of it as the lyrics to A Vigil In A Wildreness of Mirrors married to the music of Seasons End (both of which I think are brilliant) To this day, I think it would have been the best album they'd have recorded to that point.

But things were so bad by that point that even if the band had managed to record it, they wouldn't have made it to tour rehearsals.

I don't have anything against Hogarth (except when he tries to sing Fish songs.)
His voice has really matured over the years and I like his voice much better now than when he started (Especially live.)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #550 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
H is awesome. He's one of my favorite singers.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #551 on: July 13, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »
H is awesome. He's one of my favorite singers.
I can see why so many people don't like him but I love his voice too.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: July 21, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
Does anyone know why the Seasons End 2 disc remaster got discontinued?  It makes me has a sad that I can't find it without getting bent over price wise. Especially the 24bit remaster.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #553 on: July 21, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
I actually recently found a copy of Season's End on vinyl. But afa the remaster, it may be common knowledge amongst the hardcores, but Lucy Jordache I'm sure would be willing to answer that question. Maybeit was due to lack of sales. I'm not sure how many of those remasters from the late 90's are still in print.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:26:48 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #554 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
I guess I was lucky enough to buy the 2 disc of Seasons End, although I forgot when I bought it, I think 4-5years ago.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #555 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
Never could get into the post-Fish era.  But the live version of Misplaced Childhood on the double-live La Gazza Ladra is spectacular.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: July 25, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
I actually recently found a copy of Season's End of vinyl. But afa the remaster, it may be common knowledge amongst the hardcores, but Lucy Jordache I'm sure would be willing to answer that question. Maybeit was due to lack of sales. I'm not sure how many of those remasters from the late 90's are still in print.

Lucy said via twitter (when I asked) that it was just EMI's decision..that was it.

LAME

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #557 on: July 29, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »
Got Marbles today. :D

Will post my thoughts later. Unless I don't have any. :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #558 on: July 29, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
anyone else see the email for the Afraid of Sunlight/Clutching Vinyl re-releases? I probably shouldn't have to think about it as I need copies of both (I have CaS, but my copy is in poor shape).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #559 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »
Never could get into the post-Fish era.  But the live version of Misplaced Childhood on the double-live La Gazza Ladra is spectacular.

Really?  I prefer the version on Curtain Call.  More energy there.