Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232753 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Marillion
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
No, my interest in H era is minimal, so no show for me.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
But then how are you suppose to introduce him to John Petrucci? :(

Payback for when he met Jon Anderson, and sent me pics of him and Jon for days.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:25 AM »
But then how are you suppose to introduce him to John Petrucci? :(

Payback for when he met Jon Anderson, and sent me pics of him and Jon for days.

Like different pics? How many can you possibly get with him in one meeting? :lol
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »
He took three, and kept sending them.  Big brothers can be real assholes at times, especially when it comes to meeting my musical hero.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
It's okay, before and after my interview with Jon all he could talk about is how he would rather be talking to you, and how he hated your brother.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
It's okay, before and after my interview with Jon all he could talk about is how he would rather be talking to you, and how he hated your brother.

I don't blame him, my brother's a dick on his best days. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
Listen, you can always watch a wedding some other time.  You'll have plenty to go to.  This is Marillion.  In North America for a non-Marillion weekend.  If you don't go I'll never forgive you.

Same with you Lonestar.  DT tours your area all the time.  Go see them (hopefully) play Sugar Mice.

You don't know how much I agree with you but it's my friends daughter whom I've been friends for for 30 years.  I can't.

:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
I just listened to Marillion for the first time and I must say that I quite like what I have heard (Sugar Mice, The Last Straw). Definitely have to add them to the list of bands that I have to buy albums of.

What would you guys recommend to begin with?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
I just listened to Marillion for the first time and I must say that I quite like what I have heard (Sugar Mice, The Last Straw). Definitely have to add them to the list of bands that I have to buy albums of.

Both of those songs are on Clutching At Straws so you might as well start with that.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Ok, I'll do that. If it's not too expensive, then these two tracks are probably worth the buy alone.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #360 on: June 07, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »

Misplaced Childhood

One of my favorite albums of all time. Of all time.

Offline jeebustrain

• King of Disappointment
  • EZBoard Elder
  • suck it
« Reply #361 on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
I'm so pumped. I have tickets for both Chicago shows, and a couple weeks ago found out that I won a pair of slots for a band meet and greet on Friday night. This is going to kick so much ass.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »

Misplaced Childhood

It IS my favorite of all-time. Undisputed number 1.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Congratulations on getting those meet and greet slots, Jeebustrain! I entered that contest but didn't win--at least I don't have to nervously prepare something interesting to say to one of my favorite bands, hoping I don't embarrass myself, haha.
For those attending Marillion shows, are you going to read reviews of previous shows or are you going to avoid them altogether so the setlist will be totally unpredictable? I love the idea of not knowing what songs will be played, but damn, I'd like to know how the tour has been going! I really hope they play The Invisible Man!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

Misplaced Childhood

+1. This is the album that got me into progressive music.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #365 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »
Anyone who starts out in 2012 listened to Marillion for the first time and starts with a Fish era album should be driving a Dolorean.

CANT WAIT FOR TOMORROW NIGHT!!! :metal
2 SHOWS BACK TO BACK IN NYC!!!
H IS THE MAN!!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
Anyone who starts out in 2012 listened to Marillion for the first time and starts with a Fish era album should be driving a Dolorean.

I've rather drive a great old car than a modern car with square wheels.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »

I've rather drive a great old car than a modern car with square wheels.
Certainly your loss, Mr. Nick!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
And the eternal H vs Fish battle continues....

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
And the eternal H vs Fish battle continues....
Not a battle for me. I love Fish as well, but H has been the singer for 25 years!!!
and he's great!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Christ, it has been 25 years, fuck I'm getting old.  I was just out of high school when Clutching at Straws came out, and now tomorrow is my baby girl's last day of high school. Where the hell does the time go. :'(

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Christ, it has been 25 years, fuck I'm getting old.  I was just out of high school when Clutching at Straws came out, and now tomorrow is my baby girl's last day of high school. Where the hell does the time go. :'(
Tell me about it. the kids on this board have no idea how fast life flys by. I think H took over in 87.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
Ha!  It was 1988!  So...there?  :P

But seriously, Fish made two great albums with 'em but H gave us Season's End, Brave, Marbles, Marillion.com, and Afraid of Sunlight.  Anoraknophobia might be up there too, haven't listened to it in a while.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »

But seriously, Fish made two great albums with 'em but H gave us Season's End, Brave, Marbles, Marillion.com, and Afraid of Sunlight.  Anoraknophobia might be up there too, haven't listened to it in a while.

I agree with this statement 100%, although I would also add Happiness Is The Road to H's accomplishments with Marillion.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »

I agree with this statement 100%, although I would also add Happiness Is The Road to H's accomplishments with Marillion.

-Marc.
Put it this way, if I heard Marillion was ditching H and going back to Fish, I wouldn't be happy about it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

Marillion had 4 great albums with Fish, giving them a perfect batting average, and there are a good number of Fish-era fans that would say that. On the other hand the H era has been inconsistent even by most fans of the era. So while H has been there for many years and many more albums, I think that's why there is still such a healthy rivalry between the eras.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »

Marillion had 4 great albums with Fish, giving them a perfect batting average, and there are a good number of Fish-era fans that would say that. On the other hand the H era has been inconsistent even by most fans of the era. So while H has been there for many years and many more albums, I think that's why there is still such a healthy rivalry between the eras.

QFT. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

I would disagree. Fugazi was not great. Good, not great. I would also say no Fish album is as good as Marbles is.
Whatever. I'm going to see an awesome concert tomorrow night, and your not. :tick2:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: June 11, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
Script is nowhere near as good as many people say it is, and neither is Fugazi.  I'll give the Fish-fans that Fish's last two albums with Marillion are pretty much perfect, but those first two weren't great. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #379 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
I respect Fish, but they sounded like a genesis. With H, he has a tone that fits their style, even though he can't sing as high doesn't matter. Sometimes I feel people think singing high automatically means good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #380 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »
I would disagree. Fugazi was not great. Good, not great. I would also say no Fish album is as good as Marbles is.
Whatever. I'm going to see an awesome concert tomorrow night, and your not. :tick2:

Script is nowhere near as good as many people say it is, and neither is Fugazi.  I'll give the Fish-fans that Fish's last two albums with Marillion are pretty much perfect, but those first two weren't great. 

I respect Fish, but they sounded like a genesis. With H, he has a tone that fits their style, even though he can't sing as high doesn't matter. Sometimes I feel people think singing high automatically means good.

I agree with all of this.  I also feel like the band's songwriting has matured so much over the years.

But I think the real reason there's so much debate between Fish and H eras is because the two styles are just so different.  I think the continuity of the name is the only thing that would indicate to anybody that these two eras are from the same band.  I recall reading/hearing somewhere that when H first joined the band, he really campaigned to have the band name changed because he felt the band was changing so much and that keeping the name would only invite comparison and debate.  Obviously, they didn't change the name of the band, but sometimes I think maybe they should have listened to him.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #381 on: June 11, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »
I pretty much think of them as 2 bands since they're so different. Both bands are great but I prefer the Hogarth's.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #382 on: June 12, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
They will not be playing Sugar Mice (I seriously doubt any Fish songs get played.) I'll send you a vinyl copy of Exit...Stage Left if Sugar Mice does get played on this tour.

I think you might regret those words...

Just got back from the show.  The band got an amazing reception from the audience.  They were definitely visibly moved by the crowd reaction. They got like a two minute ovation after just finishing the first song. H seemed like he was sick or had a sore throat or something, and the sound could have been better (I think they actually had H too LOUD in the mix), but overall it was still a pretty spectacular show.

SETLIST SPOILER

Asylum Satellite #1
Beautiful
You're Gone
Easter
King
Fantastic Place
A Voice From The Past
Ocean Cloud
Power (new song)
This Town / The Rake's Progress / 100 Nights
Happiness is the Road
-----------------------------
Encore:

Invisible Man
-----------------------------
Second Encore:

Sugar Mice
Man of a Thousand Faces

Can't wait 'til tomorrow night!

Btw - totally unrelated, but on the train ride home, I sat behind four total strangers who spent the entire train ride trashing their boss.  The conversation all stemmed from a Facebook status the boss posted, which they read out loud.  Unfortunately for them, it turns out their boss just happens to be my cousin, and I had just seen that status myself like an hour earlier, so I get to overhear a 40-minute bitch session about my cousin.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: June 13, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »
Great show last night! Hearing Ocean Cloud made my night! :metal

There was this one guy who was standing next to me that was screaming like an asshole all night. He started shouting Marillion sucks over and over at the end of the show. If by some chance the guy is there again tonight (can't imagine why he would be)and is next to me, he just might get an elbow to the jaw. What a dick.

Anyhow, epic show. Can't wait to see what they play tonight.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Why do people have to do that?  When I saw DT in Sept. and they were doing the acoustic part, some drunk fuck next to me kept yelling shit too.

Glad the show kicked ass, my brother is seeing them, I'm seeing DT the same weekend.