Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 233106 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Marillion
« Reply #315 on: February 28, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »
Bought a whopping six albums yesterday, as a few were dirt cheap and my local record store rarely has any Marillion:

Script For A Jester's Tear
Misplaced Childhood
Clutching At Straws
Marillion.com
Marbles
Less Is More

Only listened to the first four on the list so far. Not sure if I can get into this band, after everything I've heard, only a few songs from the 80s albums did anything for me, and Marillion.com sounded too much like they were trying to emulate some other 90s band at the time. Maybe it'll take some repeated listens.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:31 AM »
Marbles is pointless unless it's the full 2-disc version with "Ocean Cloud" (and a couple other tracks not included on the 1-disc version). If you don't listen to the full version, you don't get the full effect of the album!

Less Is More is an acoustic re-recording/re-working of older songs (and one new song), so it's really a reader's digest version of H-Era Marillion with simpler arrangements.

As for the Fish-Era albums you got, if you liked those three, definitely get Fugazi, as I think it's their 2nd best of the Fish-Era albums (with Misplaced Childhood as number one).

Marillion.com isn't TOO great, although the last two tracks are amazing, and many of the tracks are produced by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/No-Man/etc.etc.

Dot Com falls under a run of albums that sound pretty same-y to me, even as a fan who knows much of the catalog. I put their albums in chunks of four (like Rush, but it just happened to work out that way):
Fish-Era
H-Era 1 (their last four albums with EMI)
H-Era 2 (from This Strange Engine to Anoraknophobia)
H-Era 3 (from Marbles to now)

I would highly suggest Brave and Happiness Is The Road (2CD version). If by THEN you can't get into them, then they're probably just not for you, but at least you gave them a chance! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
Reading your post, I don't think I should continue.  :lol If Misplaced Childhood is the best of that era, then there's no hope for me. Only liked the first two tracks. And I honestly thought Interior Lulu and House were incredibly boring when I got to that part of the album.

Eh. Different strokes for different folks. But I'll give all of these albums another shot down the road, I promise. And yes, it was the 2-disc version of Marbles I bought. After being told "if you like this band, then you'll love Marillion" so many times, I really want to like them, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #318 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Reading your post, I don't think I should continue.  :lol If Misplaced Childhood is the best of that era, then there's no hope for me. Only liked the first two tracks. And I honestly thought Interior Lulu and House were incredibly boring when I got to that part of the album.

Eh. Different strokes for different folks. But I'll give all of these albums another shot down the road, I promise. And yes, it was the 2-disc version of Marbles I bought. After being told "if you like this band, then you'll love Marillion" so many times, I really want to like them, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

I was in your shoes when I first discovered Marillion. It was back in 2005, not long after I started my journey through the world of prog and discovered Transatlantic. When I found out their supergroup status, I sought out albums from their parent bands (other than DT, who I had already been familiar with for over a year). I found Spock's Beard to be most to my liking (and they still are), with The Flower Kings channeling the Genesis/Yes sound, but Marillion was an oddball. I got a few of their albums and the Fish-Era sounded like a cheap Gabriel-Era Genesis knock-off with cheesier 80's synths and over-dramatic vocals, then found their later stuff to be too...well, less what I liked.

After a couple years of hearing more and various prog bands, I went back to Marillion, and took a chronological journey through their discography and discovered their evolution from Genesis-inspired neo-prog to something that became like a melding of their early H-Era sound and Porcupine Tree. Being a fan of PT really helped me appreciate their sound - they're both British, have such unique vocals, and create atmospheres with their music, rather than music full of riffs and flashy virtuosity. Marillion was/is all about mood, atmosphere and emotion, rather than power and speed. Since then, albums like Marbles and Happiness Is The Road have become favorites of mine, and the former even ranks among my Top 10 albums of ALL time.

I think a band like Marillion takes a LOT of time to understand, and deservedly so as their evolving sound really deserves a chronological understand of where they've been, and where they're going. Each album, to me (now), has it's own sound and feel, it's own atmosphere, and you get a sense that each album really has it's own identity, which is brilliant considering only a few of their albums are conceptual (the four Fish-Era albums, Brave, Marbles).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
I got a few of their albums and the Fish-Era sounded like a cheap Gabriel-Era Genesis knock-off with cheesier 80's synths and over-dramatic vocals, then found their later stuff to be too...well, less what I liked.

Wow. That's nearly word-for-word how I was going to describe the eighties stuff, but I thought I'd be coming off as too harsh. But honestly, it took me a while to "get" Spock's Beard and Transatlantic, so maybe I'm just in the same boat you were (Hell, I bought the King Crimson album Islands with them, and I couldn't stand that either). I'll definitely come back to these, but I think for now they're just going to sit there for a few months, or at least until I've kind of forgotten my initial thoughts on the stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #320 on: March 01, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
I got a few of their albums and the Fish-Era sounded like a cheap Gabriel-Era Genesis knock-off with cheesier 80's synths and over-dramatic vocals, then found their later stuff to be too...well, less what I liked.

Wow. That's nearly word-for-word how I was going to describe the eighties stuff, but I thought I'd be coming off as too harsh. But honestly, it took me a while to "get" Spock's Beard and Transatlantic, so maybe I'm just in the same boat you were (Hell, I bought the King Crimson album Islands with them, and I couldn't stand that either). I'll definitely come back to these, but I think for now they're just going to sit there for a few months, or at least until I've kind of forgotten my initial thoughts on the stuff.

I guess you just had to be there at the time. Listening backwards from the modern era it will sound old fashioned. At the time they weren't "cheesy 80s synths", they were the modern stuff.
 The Fish era is all I can really get into. The H era has grown on me recently, and some is very good, but those first albums were awesome. H's voice is the problem for me. He sounds so strained- no power to it.
And give me Fish lyrics any day.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
So over the past few months I have been kind of struggling to get into the H-era. Wasn't too big into Brave, liked certain parts of Marbles and have been hot and cold with Season's end.

But now for the good news. I just bought Afraid of sunlight 2 days ago and have listened to it 3 times already. With the exception of Cannibal surf Babe I really like this album and I guess its exactly what I wanted out of Hogarth Marillion.

Ultimately, I am trying to get myself ready for this summer Marillion tour, cause I must see them live.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
I love all Marillion albums.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »
Hard as love has been stuck in my head all day. I love that intro.

After about 4 attempts, I am very happy to say that H-era is finally clicking with me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:10:24 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
I'm craving a little more H-era.

Right now I have:

1. Brave
2. Season's End
3. Marbles
4. Afraid of sunlight

Could you guys recommend where to go next.  Thanks

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »

Right now I have:

1. Brave
2. Season's End
3. Marbles
4. Afraid of sunlight

My Hogarth Favorites are:

Seasons End
This Strange Engine
Marbles
Holidays In Eden
Radiat10n

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:13 PM »

Right now I have:

1. Brave
2. Season's End
3. Marbles
4. Afraid of sunlight

Those four are probably some of the best H-Era ones, although I would add Anoraknophobia and Happiness Is The Road. If you get through those two next, then toss in Marillion.com and This Strange Engine. After that, all you've got left is Holidays In Eden, Radiat10n, and Somewhere Else, and for me, those are near the bottom-end of the H-Era albums, although each of them have some good tunes.

-Marc.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2012, 06:46:11 AM »
Get Happiness is the Road and Anoraknophobia first, then Marillion.com

I really need to get Afraid of Sunlight and This Strange Engine at some point...

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #328 on: March 21, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
Get Happiness is the Road and Anoraknophobia first, then Marillion.com

I really need to get Afraid of Sunlight and This Strange Engine at some point...
The title track, "This Strange Engine", may be the most epic Marillion song ever! Its an autobiographical tale of Hogarth's childhood and a truly amazing song.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
This just in...

2 April 2012 - New Album Pre-Order Campaign

After what seems like an AGE to us (and you too, no doubt!) we have decided on the songs which will comprise our next album and we can tell you that the next Marillion album will be titled...

SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE

Backing tracks are already finished and we're now at the overdub stage (or "the colouring-in"). We have song titles too, but we'll wait just a little longer before announcing those.

We are planning to create exclusive Special Editions of ’Sounds That Can’t Be Made’ which we'll be making available as a PRE-ORDER directly from us through marillion.com

Following the success of previous pre-orders, we plan to make 2 different versions available:

Option 1: Deluxe Campaign Collectors CD Edition
This version will include 128 pages of artwork & lyrics presented in a deluxe hard back book. This collectors edition will also contain an extra DVD disc featuring interviews with the band and a selection of tracks performed live at the Racket Club; all filmed during various stages of the making of the album.

You can Pre-Order the Deluxe Camapign Edition from:
https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds-deluxe.htm

Option 2: The Standard 1CD Release
This version will be a 1CD Jewel case version of the album containing song lyrics & condensed album artwork.

You can Pre-Order the Standard 1CD Edition from:
https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds.htm

When will it be released? What will be on it? When can I order? What about a tour?

Just like previous pre-orders, we have set up a page on our website to answer all of these questions, and will continue to add to the list as we receive feedback from you by email and on our Forum/Facebook pages.

What we CAN tell you though, is that we expect the album to be ready sometime before September 2012 (we can't set a firm release date as our creative process doesn't always run to a timetable..) with an extensive tour planned throughout 2012 and into 2013.

All the tour dates have now been announced and are up on the marillion.com TOUR section. https://www.marillion.com/tour/index.htm

From the US onwards we will perform occasional "2 nighters". These shows will have a completely different set-list across each of the 2 nights. This will happen in the following towns:
New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan and Barcelona

We have also announced the 2013 dates for our bi-annual Marillion Weekends in Holland, Montreal and the UK! See www.marillionweekend.com for more details.

Phew! We hope we'll see a lot of each other over the coming months.

Okay, back to Sounds That Can't Be Made......

You are able to pre-order the album NOW, and each pre-order for the Deluxe Campaign CD Edition will automatically enter you into a variety of prize draws including:

Sound-check/ front row passes to the 'Sounds That Can’t Be Made' tour, Meet-and-greets, Signed artwork, Your own private Marillion gig PLUS more as we think of them!
Only the first 5000 people to pre-order will appear in the thanks list. (We would thank you all, but we'd need a bigger booklet!)

By being part of the ’Sounds That Can’t be Made’ Pre-Order Campaign you will once again be acting as our "Record Company" by contributing to the recording, manufacture and marketing of the album.
We'd rather make this album with you. We did it before and it was great. When we skipped the pre-order for Somewhere Else we know that many of you felt disappointed that you weren’t part of the ‘whole process’. So it's no longer about the money, it's about the taking-part and a show of faith. This, frankly, blows our minds, and your support means more to us now than ever.

We meet so many bands who are envious of our amazing family around the world and we certainly don't take this for granted. We now find ourselves famous for the "Marillion business model" which is a scream, really, because the term debases what's really going on. We thank you all for being a part of this thing in the past; just as we gratefully acknowledge everyone who will preorder this forthcoming album.

So there you go - the new pre-order!

If you have any QUESTIONS, please, PLEASE go to https://www.marillion.com/preorder/index.htm (where most issues will already be
addressed) before writing to us - it'll be quicker. You can also join the discussions on the Marillion Online Forums (which we constantly monitor) if you have any outstanding queries.

We're very excited about this album - it's taken us some years to ensure it's something special. We hope over the next few weeks and months to thank you for your loyalty - we will try and keep updating you regularly with updates from the studio; both by email and in our new Racket TV Lounge (https://www.marillion.com/tvlounge.htm) on the new and fabulous marillion.com website!

It won't be long, yeah..

h, Ian, Mark, Pete, Steve

You can Pre-Order the Deluxe Camapign Edition from:
https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds-deluxe.htm

You can Pre-Order the Standard 1CD Edition from:
https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/sounds.htm

Can't wait! :metal

-Marc.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
marilion.com seems to be broken :(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »

Yeah it does.  :'(

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

Yeah it does.  :'(

Apparently the hordes of fans pre-ordering today have broken the site's bandwidth limit and thus, have caused it to shut down for periods at a time.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #333 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
I'm waiting until they know they have their 5,000 and THEN I'm pre-ordering the Deluxe Campaign Edition.

Looks like we'll be hearing some songs live that won't be officially released yet. Cool!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
I just bought a ticket to see Marillion in San Francisco! I've never traveled so far for a concert before but I can't think of any band more worthy than Marillion. I am so excited to finally see them live!  :)
And because I've been geeking out on their music lately, I couldn't resist making a top 20 Marillion songs video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1gWH0fm6fw

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
Theirs a Facebook petition for Marilion to get on Jimmy Kimmel Live. I can't post a link but it shouldn't be hard to find as Marilion posted the link on their Facebook page.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #336 on: June 06, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »
Tour starts this weekend!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #337 on: June 06, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
SF show is the same weekend as DT, gonna be missing it, can't get both days off of work. :(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
F'ed!!  Wedding Saturday on the same night as Boston. :censored :censored :censored
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
Listen, you can always watch a wedding some other time.  You'll have plenty to go to.  This is Marillion.  In North America for a non-Marillion weekend.  If you don't go I'll never forgive you.

Same with you Lonestar.  DT tours your area all the time.  Go see them (hopefully) play Sugar Mice.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »
Can't wait until the concert Tuesday night! Its my last day of school and I'm leaving for New York right when I get out. I wish I could go to the second show as well but I won't be able to make it. I'm really looking forward to the new songs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
Listen, you can always watch a wedding some other time.  You'll have plenty to go to.  This is Marillion.  In North America for a non-Marillion weekend.  If you don't go I'll never forgive you.

Same with you Lonestar.  DT tours your area all the time.  Go see them (hopefully) play Sugar Mice.

They will not be playing Sugar Mice (I seriously doubt any Fish songs get played.) I'll send you a vinyl copy of Exit...Stage Left if Sugar Mice does get played on this tour.

Hmm...I still haven't pre-ordered the new album yet. I'd better get on that.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Why wouldn't they?  Its like the only Fish-era song they still play on anywhere close to a regular basis.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »

They will not be playing Sugar Mice (I seriously doubt any Fish songs get played.) I'll send you a vinyl copy of Exit...Stage Left if Sugar Mice does get played on this tour.

Hmm...I still haven't pre-ordered the new album yet. I'd better get on that.

At the last Marillion weekend, they did an A-to-Z set their second night, and played the following:
"Psuedo Silk Kimino"
"Sugar Mice"
"Jigsaw"

All Fish-Era songs...so it's likely they may stick one or two or all three of those in the upcoming set lists!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2012, 11:07:11 PM »
I suppose we won't have long to wait to find out.

May get one or two on the two-night stands.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2012, 11:39:38 PM »
Actually I've seen Marillion three times, and Fish solo, so it's not like my first and last chance or anything, plus I would prefer to see DT again to be honest.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:46:38 PM by lonestar »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2012, 07:24:04 AM »
WELL THEN I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOURSELF.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
Don't be mad bud. If it makes you feel any better, my brother chose Marillion over DT.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »
But then how are you suppose to introduce him to John Petrucci? :(
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »
^^^

Nick, are you going to go to that TLA show?

If I can get the money together, then I'll definitely go, but I'm not 100% sure yet.