Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232897 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: Marillion
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Got tickets for both NYC shows. There was no two day pass available so I bought both shows individually.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2011, 08:13:27 AM »
Pre-sale for the two day passes sold out that quickly?  Damn... was it more expensive to buy them as two separate tickets?  The two-day pass I think was $116 after fees...

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2011, 08:19:12 AM »
Pre-sale for the two day passes sold out that quickly?  Damn... was it more expensive to buy them as two separate tickets?  The two-day pass I think was $116 after fees...
Yay, it was more expensive. It was $139 to buy both shows separate. I waited 8 years, that wasn't going to stop me.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
I feel a good DTF pre-show meetup coming on (No Nicks allowed!)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
I feel a good DTF pre-show meetup coming on (No Nicks allowed!)
These shows are going to rock! This is going to be like a Marillion weekend only in the middle of the week!  :metal

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
And with a much shorter commute...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »
Hey folks, I wanna get a Marillion album but have no idea where to break my Marill-hymen. First album to get three mentions will be my pick...GO!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
Hey folks, I wanna get a Marillion album but have no idea where to break my Marill-hymen. First album to get three mentions will be my pick...GO!
I'd go Marbles first.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
I'd go Marbles first.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »
Marbles

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »
I am listening to Misplaced Childhood right now and I am happy as a clam.

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #256 on: November 02, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Looks like Marbles won it. I recommend the Fish era albums first and then make your way to the H era albums second.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #257 on: November 02, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Got Marbles, will listen at some point tonight and, if I have some good things to say, will report back. Thanks for the suggestions y'all :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
FYI - There are two versions of Marbles.  Make sure you've got the full, 2-disc version...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
FYI - There are two versions of Marbles.  Make sure you've got the full, 2-disc version...

This. Make sure your copy of Marbles has a track titled "Ocean Cloud". It's 17 minutes of awesome EPIC.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
There are two versions of Marbles. Be sure to forgo both in favor of Fish era material.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DT.net Member
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »

Like duuhhh, whadaya think I've lost my marbles or something? :neverusethis:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2011, 02:25:33 AM »
Alrighty, I'm up to The Only Unforgivable Thing so far and really dig the music but don't much care for the vocals. A little thin and weak for my taste but I can just add these guys to the army of bands I listen to in spite of the vocals so I don't see that stopping me from delving further into their discography. Thanks for the help y'all.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2011, 05:55:14 AM »
There are two versions of Marbles. Be sure to forgo both in favor of Fish era material.
Hogarth era Marillion is more mature and has more depth then the early stuff. Fish era Marillion is classic but sounds dated. I like it alot but if you want to be a Marillion fan in 2011 you should buy Hogarth era stuff first. This is my humble opinion. I love Hogarth, and he is the man live!
I saw Fish solo last year. It was an awesome show, and I love solo Fish.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:46 AM »
Alrighty, I'm up to The Only Unforgivable Thing so far and really dig the music but don't much care for the vocals. A little thin and weak for my taste but I can just add these guys to the army of bands I listen to in spite of the vocals so I don't see that stopping me from delving further into their discography. Thanks for the help y'all.

Really?  Weird... H is one of my favorite singers... love his voice.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »

I agree 100% with this.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »
The one show in Philly will have to do.

Jive Nation is getting enough of my money.

Irving Plaza will be VERY close to sold out if not sold out, but it will be the day of the show before it happens. I'd guess at least 75 percent of the crowd will be there for both nights anyway.

I don't think Marillion comes close to filling the Beacon. They have their niche and it isn't big enough to fill the Beacon unless you get another band with a similar following on the bill.

The two night stands in major cities will allow the band to at least break even on this tour. It think it's a solid business decision.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2011, 06:58:26 AM »
The one show in Philly will have to do.

Jive Nation is getting enough of my money.

Irving Plaza will be VERY close to sold out if not sold out, but it will be the day of the show before it happens. I'd guess at least 75 percent of the crowd will be there for both nights anyway.

I don't think Marillion comes close to filling the Beacon. They have their niche and it isn't big enough to fill the Beacon unless you get another band with a similar following on the bill.

The two night stands in major cities will allow the band to at least break even on this tour. It think it's a solid business decision.
I agree that they wouldn't fill the beacon. I guess I'm such a big fan I feel like the world is missing out on one of its truly great bands.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2011, 07:29:29 AM »
I'm rediscovering "Happiness Is The Road". I'm finding a new appreciation for it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
Hogarth era Marillion is more mature and has more depth then the early stuff. Fish era Marillion is classic but sounds dated. I like it alot but if you want to be a Marillion fan in 2011 you should buy Hogarth era stuff first. This is my humble opinion. I love Hogarth, and he is the man live!

Am I...agreeing with Tick?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
I'm rediscovering "Happiness Is The Road". I'm finding a new appreciation for it.

The title track of that album is one of the best show closers ever.  They closed Night 1 of the 2009 Montreal Marillion weekend with that song... it ended with the crowd chanting the "Happiness issssssss.... the road!" part over and over again.  First singing along with H.  Then singing along to just the music.  Then singing along after the band had stopped playing and were taking their bows.  Then singing along for like another 5 minutes after the band left the stage for the night.  It was such a cool experience.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
Although I may not be the biggest H fan, I did listen to Easter today and it was pretty damn good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
Easter is an amazing song.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: November 07, 2011, 05:20:22 AM »

Am I...agreeing with Tick?
I don't know, are you? You are scaring me greatly. :omg:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
Although I may not be the biggest H fan, I did listen to Easter today and it was pretty damn good.

Easter is amazing, as is most of the Seasons End album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2011, 02:28:25 PM »
My car's cd player has died so I dug out a box of cassettes. Season's End was in it and I've played it over and over in the last couple of days. I have not up to this point been a fan of the H era. Initially I missed Fish and I found H's voice to be weak and starined, and, to be honest, a bit bloody miserable. After Brave I gave up.
Saying that I really enjoyed playing Season's End. I could hear Fish singing these songs in my head. Anyway, it made me check out some more recent stuff that I'd just ignored. Marbles appears to be something of a fantastic album. Going to have to delve a bit deeper. Seems I've missed some great music.

Hooks In You rocks though...  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
My wife wants to see Marillion so we're going in June. Last time I saw them was backing up Rush on the Power Windows eour when they did from start to finish, Misplaced Childhood.  Can't wait to see them again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Just an update - my Marillion Survivor has reached the Finals! Look for it in the Polls/Survivors forum here and vote please!  :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
My wife wants to see Marillion so we're going in June. Last time I saw them was backing up Rush on the Power Windows eour when they did from start to finish, Misplaced Childhood.  Can't wait to see them again.

Master-of-the-obvious-guy says not to expect the same concert. (Don't expect any Fish songs.)

You should enjoy it once they kick it into gear though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »
I have all their albums post Fish era so I'm really looking forward to seeing them live in a long, long time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC