Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232826 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marillion
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
Hey guys! I know some of you are big fans of Marbles more so than any other H-Era albums, so I'd like to let it be known that my Marillion Survivor will be starting Marbles this evening! Check out the Polls/Survivors Forum tonight (after 9:00-9:30pm US Eastern Time) for the first round! I've been looking forward to this all year, since I started the survivor back in March!

Hope to see a few more fans/voters there!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
So I randomly put on VH1 classic the other day and High Voltage 2010 was on. I didn't recognize the song that just started or the band. Come to find out it was Marillion - Neverland. Wow what a song! Why did I think most people told me the Fish era stuff was the best? Does the rest of the album suck in comparison?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
People who say Fish era is the best are either old fans who are nostalgic for the old "let's try to sound like Genesis did!" style or they're lying to you.  "Neverland" is my favorite Marillion song and one of my favorite songs ever, and the rest of the album isn't as good as the song, but it is their best album and chock full of goodies.  So get the double-disc version if you can find it.  NOW.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
People who say Fish era is the best are either old fans who are nostalgic for the old "let's try to sound like Genesis did!" style or they're lying to you.  "Neverland" is my favorite Marillion song and one of my favorite songs ever, and the rest of the album isn't as good as the song, but it is their best album and chock full of goodies.  So get the double-disc version if you can find it.  NOW.

Aside from Grendel and some bits of the Script album, I just don't hear the Genesis influence (Besides Fish-Marillion>Gabriel-Genesis).

Neverland is awesome especially live -- as is the rest of Marbles (As is anything Fish ever did with Marillion....as is tradition).

By the way, Neverland will be on again seven hours from now at about 3:15 a.m. on VH-Classic (along with Transatlantic and Emerson, Lake and Palmer).

Offline elyster

« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
US Tour Dates Announced -

10 June
Sun Washington DC
USA 9:30 Club

12 June
Tues New York City
USA Irving Plaza

13 June
Weds New York City
USA Irving Plaza

15 June
Fri Philadelphia
USA TLA

16 June
Sat Boston
USA Paradise Rock Club

18 June
Mon Quebec
Canada Imperial

19 June
Tues Montréal
Canada L'Olympia

20 June
Weds Toronto
Canada The Opera House

22 June
Fri Chicago
USA Park West

23 June
Sat Chicago
USA Park West

27 June
Weds Los Angeles
USA House Of Blues

28 June
Thurs Los Angeles
USA House Of Blues

29 June
Fri San Francisco
USA The Fillmore

The 2 shows in Chicago, LA and NY will be two completely different set lists.

Chicago here I come!!     :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »

10 June
Sun Washington DC

Soooooo saving up for this!!! It'll be a once-in-a-lifetime chance! I've missed many chances to see many of my favorite bands come through the area (TA, DT, Neal Morse, and many more), but since Marillion don't tour through the US often (once a decade? :lol), this can't possibly be missed!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »

10 June
Sun Washington DC

Soooooo saving up for this!!! It'll be a once-in-a-lifetime chance! I've missed many chances to see many of my favorite bands come through the area (TA, DT, Neal Morse, and many more), but since Marillion don't tour through the US often (once a decade? :lol), this can't possibly be missed!

-Marc.

I was just talking to my sister about bands that I've never seen and the one that would make me happiest would be Marillion. I am SO going to this date.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2011, 05:33:21 PM »
Philly is automatic.  (I guess a NEARfest gig isn't happening)

Irving Plaza not so much, even given the temptation on unique sets.

I still have to save for Rush, Dream Theater and any other 2012 surprises that might happen next year.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »
Man... I wish the NYC show was somewhere better than Irving Plaza... but whatever.  I'll be there both night.  Fo' shizzle.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
So yeah I wasn't really expecting them not to but Marillion is staying the hell away from the south. :(  Maybe I can schedule a vacation to visit my cousin who lives in the city and catch Marillion while I'm there.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime thing and I'd really hate to miss it...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
USA House Of Blues

29 June
Fri San Francisco
USA The Fillmore

Hmmm, might have to mark that date on the old calender. 

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2011, 01:35:02 AM »
Everything is too far from me unfortunatelly. Considering SF or NY because there are 2 shows there. SF would be cheaper airfare and as we are 4, that makes quite a difference.
I am very happy the tour is happening and for many of you it will be easy  :heart

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »

Quite frankly, I'd say that's bullshit. :p

I prefer the Fish style but I'm obviously not nostalgic, and while I think Fish naturally sounds a bit like Peter Gabriel I think saying they simply sound like Genesis is a stretch. And as YtseRush pointed out, Fish-era Marillion is better than Gabriel-era Genesis anyway. I've just never gotten into H as much or the material I've heard with H other than Season's End.

HOWEVER.

Neverland is indeed a FANTASTIC song, and probably my favorite that I've heard post-Season's End.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 28, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »
A. Learn to respond to posts faster you halfwit. :loser:
Two. Fish's voice does sound a bit like a scottish Gabriel, but the music sounds very much like an 80s version of prog-Genesis as well.
3. That was more or less an exaggeration on my part (I thought that was clear with the addition of "or they're lying to you") :P.
IV. but not by much, actually.  Most prog sites and youtube comments about Marillion boil down to how they're so sad Fish left and how much they liked the old, more proggier sound compared to the more alternative sound Marillion has today. 
E. I don't really care to compare Genesis to Marillion since Peter Gabriel solo is better than both of those groups put together.  :biggrin:

Plus, you fail anyways, so your opinion is invalid!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
H > Fish.

The end.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
H > Fish.

I am an h fan myself, I became HUGE fan because of h actually. But this debate obviously will go forever...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
H > Fish.

The end.

Even the law agrees with me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
H > Fish.

The end.

Even the law agrees with me.

But you don't even agree with yourself!
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »

10 June
Sun Washington DC

Soooooo saving up for this!!!...this can't possibly be missed!

-Marc.

This show just became a very high priority for me.

While I'm here, Fish era > H era just based on consistancy.  All the Fish era albums are very good or better.  Same can't be said of H era, or to make things more fair, any four album run in H era.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: October 28, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »
You can't really judge consistency with those two eras though.  You have four albums from Fish (2 of which are amazing, 2 of which are average, IMO) and what, 11 from Hogarth?  Yeah there are going to be a few duds.  h gave us Season's End, Marbles, Happiness is the Road, Marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight.  I'd say that puts h above Fish easily.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: October 28, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
You can't really judge consistency with those two eras though.  You have four albums from Fish (2 of which are amazing, 2 of which are average, IMO) and what, 11 from Hogarth?  Yeah there are going to be a few duds.  h gave us Season's End, Marbles, Happiness is the Road, Marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight.  I'd say that puts h above Fish easily.

You contradict yourself.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
I thought he was referring to "consistency" as like a string of fantastic albums.  As far as I'm concerned neither era really has that. 

Also, how do you like my new personal text?  :biggrin:

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
h gave us Season's End, Marbles, Happiness is the Road, Marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Brave, and Afraid of Sunlight.

I'm saddened this list does not contain This Strange Engine.  Probably my favorite after Marbles...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
Actually Fish sounds and is more influenced by Peter Hammill than Gabriel. I pretty sure he's even admitted that.

While I'd say Fish has been more consistently great (in terms of my listening experience) There are some great albums made after the split too. (Seasons End, Holidays In Eden, This Strange Engine, Marbles and Radiat10n being among my favorites.)

That said I can never get enough of a Marillion live when Fish was in the band. It's just otherworldly (Listen to anything off of Early Stages or The Curtain Call Boxes for starters).

That magic happens with Hogarth too, but not as often. (See the Marbles Tour show from Philly in 2004 that I was forutnate to attend that was released on the fan club label)

That said, I'm not (again) being drawn into the Fish-Hogarth thing.  (F'n Brad Richards!) It was very painful when it happened (until I bought Vigil and Seasons End) and other than hoping that Fish would find another Rothery (which I don't think he ever found) I've been pretty happy how it all turned out (well, except for Brave, Afraid of Sunlight and Less Is More.)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
I just came here to say that I love "Angelina".  :heart :heart :heart :heart
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »
Man... I wish the NYC show was somewhere better than Irving Plaza... but whatever.  I'll be there both night.  Fo' shizzle.
Never been there, but I will do both nights for sure!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
It's ok, it's just not set up very well, and is always oversold.  This show will obviously sell out, so chances are it'll be pretty uncomfortable in there :(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:31 AM »
It's ok, it's just not set up very well, and is always oversold.  This show will obviously sell out, so chances are it'll be pretty uncomfortable in there :(

Obviously? I don't understand why, if Marillion has a strong enough draw to sell that place out so easily, this is the first tour in forever of America.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »

Obviously? I don't understand why, if Marillion has a strong enough draw to sell that place out so easily, this is the first tour in forever of America.

The last half of your sentence answers the first half of your sentence.

Their lack of touring in America hasn't really been due to their inability to draw a crowd.  It's been due to their inability to convince promoters that they can draw a crowd, and because of the incredibly high cost to them of coming over here.  They haven't toured North America in 8 years.  Fans have been begging for a North American tour over here forever... and they finally get one, and it's only 13 dates in 9 cities.  All the fans who have been waiting all this time are going to find a way to make it to one or two of these shows, and Irving Plaza isn't exactly a huge venue.  I'd be fairly shocked if they don't sell out.  Especially in New York City.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »

The last half of your sentence answers the first half of your sentence.

Their lack of touring in America hasn't really been due to their inability to draw a crowd.  It's been due to their inability to convince promoters that they can draw a crowd, and because of the incredibly high cost to them of coming over here.  They haven't toured North America in 8 years.  Fans have been begging for a North American tour over here forever... and they finally get one, and it's only 13 dates in 9 cities.  All the fans who have been waiting all this time are going to find a way to make it to one or two of these shows, and Irving Plaza isn't exactly a huge venue.  I'd be fairly shocked if they don't sell out.  Especially in New York City.
How you think they were fare if they played a place like the Beacon? Do you think they would fill the room for one night?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2011, 09:01:14 AM »
Hmm... idunno... Beacon is a lot bigger.  Irving Plaza is about 1,200, while the Beacon is close to 3,000.  The thing about 2 nights at Irving Plaza is that a good chunk of the people going will probably be going both nights, so it's not really like they're selling to 2,400 people... it's more like they're selling to 1,200 people twice.  3,000 is a much bigger number.  I think they would do OK there, but I don't think they'd sell it out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
Frankly I think the promoters are right. Even given the long wait I don't think they will sell out Irving Plaza.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
Frankly I think the promoters are right. Even given the long wait I don't think they will sell out Irving Plaza.
That's a hard one to calculate. I could see it either way. Its hard to really know how much of a fan base they have after 8 years. I mean sure, were excited, but were a bunch of prog nerds.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:31 AM »
NYC Ticket = bought.  :)

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
I'll be seeing them in LA on June 27th!  :metal