Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232777 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Marillion
« Reply #560 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »
Out of curiosity, what would be the best H-era Marillion album to start off with? Season's End or Marbles or perhaps another album?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #561 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
Brave, Marbles and STCBM are probably the best, so any of those would be a good starting point.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #562 on: August 08, 2013, 04:19:14 AM »
Out of curiosity, what would be the best H-era Marillion album to start off with? Season's End or Marbles or perhaps another album?

I would suggest afraid of sunlight honestly, since its very accessible.

When I first was trying to get into H-era, I immediately went out and got Brave since that was the album to get, but it just didn't click with me and ended up delaying my interest in H-era. So I would hold of on brave. Marbles is really good since it has Ocean Cloud which really is incredible.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:36:20 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #563 on: August 08, 2013, 04:53:11 AM »
Season´s End is a very good starting point.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #564 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:29 AM »
I started with Brave and it was quite awesome.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #565 on: August 08, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »

After re-listening to Brave today, for the first time in a long while, forget what I said. Go get Brave.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #566 on: August 08, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
I have Happiness Is The Road Part One, Marbles, and Seasons End. While Happiness.. is my favorite, I think most would recommend Marbles.

I've heard good things about Brave, as well, though I can't comment on that one personally.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #567 on: August 08, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
Brave is brilliant but it took me a few listens before I fully appreciated it. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting place. Seasons End is definitely a great first choice.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #568 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52:02 AM »
I had Marbles recommended to me as my first H-Era Marillion album, I have to agree it is fantastic especially Neverland. The thing I have found with the H-Era stuff I have listened to is that it doesn't click straight away, and they're definitely 'headphone albums', Brave especially because as brilliant as it is it took a few listens to really grasp how amazing it is.

That said I might not be the best person to recommend material as I only have Marbles, Sounds and Brave from the H-Era, really need to seek out more.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #569 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
if you get "Marbles" make sure you don't make the mistake I did and get the copy WITHOUT "Ocean Cloud" on it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #570 on: August 09, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »
Afraid of Sunlight would be my choice. Season's End is somewhere in between what the band were with Fish and what they became, Brave is just really dense-Afraid of Sunlight is far more accessible and is probably the most consistent of the "early" H albums. Then get the double CD version of Marbles to get into what the band's become since then.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: August 09, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
Afraid of Sunlight would be my choice.

This would be mine too. It's also where I started with them.  Tracks #3 (Beautiful) and Track #6 (Afraid of Sunlight) blow my mind when I listen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #572 on: August 13, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
I popped in the 1983 Reading festival gig over the weekend, the one where they've announced they've signed to EMI.

It's been a while since I took it off the shelf and forgot how much of a celebration it was.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: September 04, 2013, 07:38:01 AM »
I think I scored the 2 Disc Season's End OOP edition on eBay last night.  The track listing matches and the album art matches the 24-bit remaster.

11.50 shipped. I can handle that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #574 on: September 06, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
I think I scored the 2 Disc Season's End OOP edition on eBay last night.  The track listing matches and the album art matches the 24-bit remaster.

11.50 shipped. I can handle that.

Good deal.  I paid $23 each for all of them when they were first released.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #575 on: September 07, 2013, 05:45:47 AM »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #576 on: September 11, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
I should put on the live DVD from the Season End Tour. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #577 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:06 AM »
Though this is a Marillion thread, I am having a bitch of a time finding the download purchase for Fish's new album Feast of Consequences. It was supposed to be available today per an email I got from Fishheads Club, but I don't see it anywhere.

Edit: nevermind, it was up when I awoke :)

Another edit: And it's fucking amazing...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:41:17 AM by lonestar »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #578 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
https://fishheadsclub.com/2013/09/04/a-feast-of-consequences-delays-and-solutions/

I will put the deluxe version up for sale in the shop on the 14th again but with the disclaimer that it won’t be in stock until the 25th September. All the pre orders will be sent out first

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #579 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:34 PM »
https://fishheadsclub.com/2013/09/04/a-feast-of-consequences-delays-and-solutions/

I will put the deluxe version up for sale in the shop on the 14th again but with the disclaimer that it won’t be in stock until the 25th September. All the pre orders will be sent out first

Already pre-ordered.  I'm not even sure why I listened to this as it's something I almost never do but I was surfing around and fell over it. I suppose curiosity got the better of me.  All I can say is I hope the final product is improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctW8nHDhes

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #580 on: September 15, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
The High Wood suite is easily the highlight of the album, though Perfume River is a stellar song also. Crucifix Corner is quickly moving up the ranks of my all time favorites from Fish, it's so haunting.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #581 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:22 AM »
What? FoC finally got released? I totally forgot this was even a thing! I gotta find this immediately.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #582 on: September 16, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »
On first listen, it's a fantastic return to form.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #583 on: September 16, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »
Agreed. He really nails it, especially in the High Wood suite.

And for those interested, here's my review of Feast of Consequences...(spoilers, lots of them)

https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/fish-feast-of-consequences/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:44:34 AM by lonestar »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #584 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:08 AM »
Fantastic review, RJ!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #585 on: September 20, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
I'm hoping Feast is as good as everyone seems to say it is.

It's been a long six-year wait for some new music.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #586 on: October 02, 2013, 06:45:12 PM »
I've got Brave on at the moment. so good.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #587 on: October 05, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
I'm hoping Feast is as good as everyone seems to say it is.

It's been a long six-year wait for some new music.
Its his best album to date, imo. and I have all his albums.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #588 on: October 06, 2013, 12:11:29 AM »
I'm with Tick on this, Feast is a tremendous album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #589 on: October 12, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
Okay, I cheated and stole a few semi-attentive listens in the car (Still haven't read the book or watched the DVD. I planned to read the book along with my first listen of the album) and I was wrong.
This is the main reason why I don't like listening to ANYTHING in advance unless I have the CD in my hands ready to go.

High Wood is good, but so is the rest of it.

I'm not ready to call this his best album, but I'm willing to admit it's as good as the last one, which I haven't really been able to say about back to back Fish albums since A Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors and Internal Exile. I think Roger Waters meets 13th Star is a good thing. I didn't really expect this to be this good. I can't wait to dig into the book and the DVD and get this signed print framed.

I have a bad feeling that there won't be a tour for us in the US.  Maybe he goes on the cruise with Marillion. How crazy would that be?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #590 on: October 13, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
A little bit drunk and haven't really read much of this thread, but just want to say Market Square Heroes is still my favourite Marillion song. This Strange Engine follows with a close second.  Dat outro  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #591 on: October 13, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
I think its time I revisit Script for a jester's tear

Online The Letter M

« Reply #592 on: October 13, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »

I like the debut a lot, and I like throwing in the pre-debut singles, as well as "Grendel", into the mix as well. I made my own "if SFAJT was a 2 LP vinyl back in the day" track list...

Script For A Jester's Tear
Garden Party
Three Boats Down From The Candy
The Web
Charting The Single
He Knows You Know
Chelsea Monday
Market Square Heroes
Forgotten Sons
Grendel

Great songs for a debut and the whole era. I'd say they  have one of the strongest debuts of 80's prog bands, to be honest, and I am glad the band is still around to this day! Them and IQ, although I'm sure Marillion has been hitting higher highs than IQ...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #593 on: October 18, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

I like the debut a lot, and I like throwing in the pre-debut singles, as well as "Grendel", into the mix as well. I made my own "if SFAJT was a 2 LP vinyl back in the day" track list...

Script For A Jester's Tear
Garden Party
Three Boats Down From The Candy
The Web
Charting The Single
He Knows You Know
Chelsea Monday
Market Square Heroes
Forgotten Sons
Grendel

Great songs for a debut and the whole era. I'd say they  have one of the strongest debuts of 80's prog bands, to be honest, and I am glad the band is still around to this day! Them and IQ, although I'm sure Marillion has been hitting higher highs than IQ...

-Marc.

I really don't listen to this album very much. Probably my least favorite of the Fish years.  However, the live gigs from this era are pretty amazing (despite Mosley not being in the band yet) It's unbelieveable how good these gigs are.  I really wish I'd known about them and seen them in person then.

It's really a whole other level. These songs just come alive. Many bands just don't deliver like this one did. Hell, Grendel is even amazingly performed.

...and the new Fish album just getts better and better. I really didn't think he had it in him with all of his other commitments.

Keeping Vantsis on board really helped.  I still have to dig into the DVD and book. Haven't gotten to that yet.

Too much bloody good music around these days.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #594 on: October 22, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
Is the new Fish album a masterpiece or what? I never thought it would be as good if not better than the last one.