Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 238222 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1925 on: December 19, 2023, 07:20:01 AM »
Really cool interview with Dave Meegan on the Between You And Me podcast this week:

https://shows.acast.com/5f57907317370644246453f1/episodes/657f20b31585de0012391081?

One of the interesting nuggets that I didn't know is that Meegan has autism/Aspergers, which appears to have served him well in his line of work. I also didn't realize the EMI were pushing Marillion to return more to their prog roots for Brave to recapture their original audience.

I REALLY wish they'd work with him again.

Same here. They created their best work with him at the helm.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1926 on: December 19, 2023, 07:27:41 AM »
Really cool interview with Dave Meegan on the Between You And Me podcast this week:

https://shows.acast.com/5f57907317370644246453f1/episodes/657f20b31585de0012391081?

One of the interesting nuggets that I didn't know is that Meegan has autism/Aspergers, which appears to have served him well in his line of work. I also didn't realize the EMI were pushing Marillion to return more to their prog roots for Brave to recapture their original audience.

I REALLY wish they'd work with him again.

He asked him if he would ever consider it, but he’s essentially retired now and feels like he accomplished what he wanted to accomplish with them and wouldn’t want to make albums that might decline in quality. Think that book is closed now.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1927 on: December 22, 2023, 04:05:33 PM »
Continuing in my exploration into Marillion music....  My latest "discoveries".  I really like the album "Sounds that Can't Be Made".  The title song especially is so cool.  I also like Gaza.  The rest of the album is good too, but those are my favorites.

But why I really felt compelled to post about something...  I'm also equally trying to check out more Fish stuff.  I finally listened to the album "Weltschmerz".  OMG.  Outstanding album.  Maybe 2-3 times a year I stumble across a song that reaches me in such a way that I am utterly addicted to it.  Right now that song is "Waverley Steps".  Both musically and lyrically that song is just perfect in every way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1928 on: December 23, 2023, 11:11:44 AM »
Continuing in my exploration into Marillion music....  My latest "discoveries".  I really like the album "Sounds that Can't Be Made".  The title song especially is so cool.  I also like Gaza.  The rest of the album is good too, but those are my favorites.

But why I really felt compelled to post about something...  I'm also equally trying to check out more Fish stuff.  I finally listened to the album "Weltschmerz".  OMG.  Outstanding album.  Maybe 2-3 times a year I stumble across a song that reaches me in such a way that I am utterly addicted to it.  Right now that song is "Waverley Steps".  Both musically and lyrically that song is just perfect in every way.

Isn't it, though?  I got a little... soured with Fish's solo stuff.  I got tired of albums with two or three great songs and a handful of nonsense (Brother 52, I'm talking to you!).   But Weltschmerz is a complete album from top to bottom.  REALLY strong effort, IMO, and likely his best since his debut.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1929 on: December 23, 2023, 11:39:35 AM »
I intended to check out Weltchmerz at the time and liked some of the songs I heard pre-release, but one way or another when it finally came out I forgot about it. Should go give it a listen today.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: December 23, 2023, 12:11:02 PM »
I intended to check out Weltchmerz at the time and liked some of the songs I heard pre-release, but one way or another when it finally came out I forgot about it. Should go give it a listen today.

I mean, look, tastes, right?  But I find Fish sometimes goes down rabbit holes that are hard for me to follow him into, but for whatever reason, Weltschmerz is a pretty universal album.   Between the getting older, and relationships with parents, etc. it's a pretty profound piece of work, and some of his best lyrics in a long time. 

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1931 on: December 25, 2023, 07:36:53 AM »

I agree with you, Sounds that can't be made is a good album.  My favorite song is Lucky man.  I am now listening to the album F.E.A.R. and it is pretty good too.  I will continue checking on all their albums and then will be looking at Fish solo career though I have already see some of his live shows and I liked the music.  I want to pay more attention to the lyrics.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1932 on: December 26, 2023, 01:37:44 PM »

Isn't it, though?  I got a little... soured with Fish's solo stuff.  I got tired of albums with two or three great songs and a handful of nonsense (Brother 52, I'm talking to you!).   But Weltschmerz is a complete album from top to bottom.  REALLY strong effort, IMO, and likely his best since his debut.

For me, most of the nonsense is from Suits and Field Of Crows Got no problem with the rest of his work. Of course hearing the songs live always helps.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1933 on: January 14, 2024, 09:00:11 AM »
No big news. Just was a little shocked as I was standing in the Daytona airport to hear Kayleigh on the overhead music. I’ve never in my life heard that song on any overhead music anywhere, although I did hear that it was a hit in some other parts of the world.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1934 on: January 14, 2024, 10:10:34 AM »
No big news. Just was a little shocked as I was standing in the Daytona airport to hear Kayleigh on the overhead music. I’ve never in my life heard that song on any overhead music anywhere, although I did hear that it was a hit in some other parts of the world.

It's weird when it pops up like that. I had a shock when I found out my addiction counselor of four years was enough of a fan to name her kid Kayleigh.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1935 on: January 21, 2024, 10:44:45 AM »
Probably mentioned this before  but I ran into my first and only Kayleigh a few years back.  She was working as a grocery store cashier. She said her parents named her after a song by some band and had no idea who they were. She couldn't be more disinterested about it. With a generation of Kaleigh's out in the world I felt fortunate to have met one from the US.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1936 on: January 21, 2024, 12:30:26 PM »
My daughter goes to school with a girl named Kayleigh, but I’m not sure how it’s spelled. Doesn’t seem like the right generation to be named after the song though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1937 on: January 21, 2024, 01:15:36 PM »
I've met exactly one Kayleigh in my life, and I think she was born in the late 80s or early 90s. I haven't spoken to her in about a decade, but I think she did say she had heard the Marillion song before and believes she was named after it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1938 on: January 21, 2024, 02:23:05 PM »
Remembered that someone shared this metal cover of Kayleigh over on the Marillion forum the other day. Not my thing, but cool to see a young(er) band cover the I guess?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ouEheE6K0

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1939 on: January 22, 2024, 04:39:26 AM »
Someone? That was me, you twerp!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline HOF

« Reply #1940 on: January 22, 2024, 07:24:08 AM »
Someone? That was me, you twerp!

Ha! Yeah it was!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1941 on: January 29, 2024, 01:43:50 PM »
one time i did sugar mice at karaoke
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1942 on: February 01, 2024, 12:45:07 PM »
I've met exactly one Kayleigh in my life, and I think she was born in the late 80s or early 90s. I haven't spoken to her in about a decade, but I think she did say she had heard the Marillion song before and believes she was named after it.

-Marc.

It’s a pretty popular name in the UK, At least from a certain time period. I have met several Kayleighs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1943 on: February 07, 2024, 10:21:09 AM »
As we approach rehearsals for Cruise To The Edge we regret to announce that Pete Trewavas must undergo a routine surgical procedure which will leave him unable to fly to the US for some weeks. We therefore have no option but to perform on CTTE without him.

Although his absence will be keenly felt by us all, we are confident that we have a major talent in his place providing the bass-playing duties in the form of Nick Beggs.

Pete will soon be fighting fit and back with Marillion, and in the meantime we hope you all join us in sending him our best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

h, Mark, Ian and Steve

Hope Pete recovers well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1944 on: February 07, 2024, 10:30:32 AM »
Oh man, that stinks. I imagine this is the first time they have performed without him since he joined the band. I’m sure Beggs will handle it just fine, but Pete is such a huge part of their sound.

In other news, it hasn’t really been discussed here but the band are back in the studio beginning work on their next album. The cruise and a few individual solo dates are the only things they have on the calendar this year, so hopefully they can make somewhat swift progress and get the next album out in less than the 6 years between the last two!

H also mentioned on his podcast that they had also kicked around the idea of doing an EP with some leftover tracks that haven’t made the cut on their recent albums, though he didn’t sound too confident that it would happen. Might be interesting to get something like that from them in the interim between albums.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1945 on: February 07, 2024, 10:38:02 AM »
man..o well Pete's health is most important.

This comes on the 30th anniversary of Brave, none-the-less.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1946 on: February 07, 2024, 10:43:31 AM »
Since Anoraknophobia in 2001, they've released a new album every 2-4 years, so I'd suspect the new album will probably come out Spring or Summer of 2025, a bit over 3 years since AHBID. The longest gap between albums has been from 2012's STCBM and 2016's FEAR, but if they're already writing and recording, I'm sure it'll come out by the end of 2025, especially since the last three albums all had three years gaps.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1947 on: February 07, 2024, 10:49:57 AM »
Since Anoraknophobia in 2001, they've released a new album every 2-4 years, so I'd suspect the new album will probably come out Spring or Summer of 2025, a bit over 3 years since AHBID. The longest gap between albums has been from 2012's STCBM and 2016's FEAR, but if they're already writing and recording, I'm sure it'll come out by the end of 2025, especially since the last three albums all had three years gaps.

-Marc.

Yeah, obviously the pandemic played a role in the distance between the last two as well. They also do have leftover material which could end up on this album still, so that could speed things up. I think a lot of it will come down to how much they can agree on as it sounds like they always have more ideas than everyone in the band is happy to work on.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1948 on: February 07, 2024, 11:42:39 AM »
As we approach rehearsals for Cruise To The Edge we regret to announce that Pete Trewavas must undergo a routine surgical procedure which will leave him unable to fly to the US for some weeks. We therefore have no option but to perform on CTTE without him.

Although his absence will be keenly felt by us all, we are confident that we have a major talent in his place providing the bass-playing duties in the form of Nick Beggs.

Pete will soon be fighting fit and back with Marillion, and in the meantime we hope you all join us in sending him our best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

h, Mark, Ian and Steve

Hope Pete recovers well!

-Marc.

Bummer about Pete, but I'd love to see what Nick Beggs can bring to the table for Marillion. Hope they film this!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1949 on: February 07, 2024, 12:18:35 PM »

-Marc.

Yeah, obviously the pandemic played a role in the distance between the last two as well. They also do have leftover material which could end up on this album still, so that could speed things up. I think a lot of it will come down to how much they can agree on as it sounds like they always have more ideas than everyone in the band is happy to work on.

Did it? I couldn't remember if they said their 20th album would've come out sooner than 2022 if it wasn't for the pandemic, but I'm sure they were delayed a bit, maybe a year or so. In that case, the gap would've only been two years instead of three or four, which has been the norm for them since 2009's Less Is More. Bands like Marillion and IQ I always expect to take at least 3 years between albums anyway, so a mid-to-late 2025 release date seems to be on-target for them, but earlier would be a welcome surprise!

I can imagine any tours or Weekends they do in 2025 will also celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Misplaced Childhood. When was the last time they played that album in full?

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: February 07, 2024, 12:26:26 PM »
Has H ever performed that in full?  If not, then I would guess it's the Welcome To The Garden Party tour in late '86, no?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1951 on: February 07, 2024, 12:37:01 PM »
I think they were already scheduled to make the album in 2020, but they couldn’t all get together for parts of the year because of shutdowns, and even after that Rothery stayed home for a while because he was high risk.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1952 on: February 07, 2024, 01:01:01 PM »
I think they were already scheduled to make the album in 2020, but they couldn’t all get together for parts of the year because of shutdowns, and even after that Rothery stayed home for a while because he was high risk.

Ahh makes sense, so that means it would've come out in 2021 most likely, which is a pretty quick turnaround.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1953 on: February 07, 2024, 01:09:39 PM »

Ahh makes sense, so that means it would've come out in 2021 most likely, which is a pretty quick turnaround.

-Marc.

The other issue was manufacturing delays post pandemic which meant they needed like a 6 month lead time to produce the album.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1954 on: February 17, 2024, 11:53:02 AM »
Has H ever performed that in full?  If not, then I would guess it's the Welcome To The Garden Party tour in late '86, no?

He has not.

Fish (solo) has done it twice. Fish has also done Clutching At Straws twice (but not in track order) Wouldn't mind that happenign for The Steve Rothery Band. That might be Killer.

In the meantime here's a consolation prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1d0c-I4baU