Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 151308 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

• I'm on YouTube
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1715 on: June 22, 2022, 09:16:38 PM »
I guess I'm pining for them to find a way (Crowdfund maybe) to hold 1 Convention in Las Vegas someday before they retire.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1716 on: June 23, 2022, 01:08:29 AM »
There is no way its going to be possible for the band to do a weekend in the US given your country's visa and tax requirements. The point of the Montreal weekend was that it was easier for US fans to travel to Canada than for the band to travel to the US. They will doubtlessly do another US tour at some stage, but they lost money on the last US tour, so it's just not a priority for them.

There's a lot of US bands that never come to Europe, so it all balances out inn the wash. Look on the bright side, bands never go to Australia....
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1717 on: June 23, 2022, 06:45:13 AM »
It baffles me that they lost money on that; I saw the tour, it was a full house in Pennsylvania.  I get it, there's more to it than that, but lesser bands travel from Europe to the States and play smaller places to lesser crowds and make out okay.  They're a business savvy band, but sometimes I wonder. 

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #1718 on: June 23, 2022, 09:46:40 AM »
It baffles me that they lost money on that; I saw the tour, it was a full house in Pennsylvania.  I get it, there's more to it than that, but lesser bands travel from Europe to the States and play smaller places to lesser crowds and make out okay.  They're a business savvy band, but sometimes I wonder.

Ya but you wouldnít believe what they sometimes have to do to make it work.

NWOBHM legends Raven played a local dive bar in Seattle. They couldnít afford to bring their own drum kit, so it was written into the contract that, in addition to guaranteed payment, the promoter would provide a specified drum kit at his own expense.

Just an example of how those things sometimes work. But I canít really picture Marillion doing something like that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1719 on: June 30, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
tested positive for covid this morning, right before I was going to leave for Marillion Weekend tomorrow.  FML   :facepalm:

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1720 on: June 30, 2022, 08:31:38 AM »

I would love to see a band give a full economic breakdown of costs/expenses and then profits etc at a scale like Marillion. I have seen a lot of US-based bands cancelling tours in Europe as of late so I'm sure there are different issues on both sides (Visas, fuel costs, etc).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1721 on: June 30, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
tested positive for covid this morning, right before I was going to leave for Marillion Weekend tomorrow.  FML   :facepalm:

Oh fuck dude... That sucks so bad.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »

Sincerely, sorry to hear that.  I know this is something you looked forward to.  Any remote options?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1723 on: June 30, 2022, 01:59:19 PM »
no remote option, although I think the stream from saturday night in Leicester is being made available to rent again this weekend so I may do that. 

Online HOF

« Reply #1724 on: June 30, 2022, 02:02:51 PM »
Yuck. Really sorry youíre missing out. Hope you get well soon.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1725 on: July 02, 2022, 07:00:47 PM »

Sorry to hear about that. Can't even imagine.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1726 on: July 02, 2022, 07:24:56 PM »

Perhaps at this point Marillion don't want themselves or their fans to have to deal with late start times and/or the trapings of small clubs. They have achieved a certain standard in many of the places they play and we in the US don't meet that standard without some concessions being made.

Wife and I were talking about Fish possible hitting the road in '24 and how that he would like to play consecutive nights in cities so that he would be able to play all of the material he wanted to play and we're trying to figure out how that happens with him not losing his shirt or both of us standing for 3 plus hours and getting home at dawn on a work night. There aren't many options. He says he hopes to due and extensive US Tour (or about as extensive someone like him could realistically tour in the US) but that would be a blood bath unless you limited the tour to select major cities in theaters that people would be drawn to.

There's still time but I don't think it's a easy problem to solve.

What would be a no-brainer would be the Fish/Marillion double bill (but that would create expectations and pressure which would crush the feasibility of doing it.) There will be no reunion but that wouldn't stop the idea that it should/will happen. I get why nobody wants to go there, but that solves your Fish/Marillion touring problem. If there's to be a finale by both, that is the most logical way for it to go down but it's equally obvious to me why it won't happen.

Online HOF

« Reply #1727 on: July 20, 2022, 09:07:32 AM »
Holidays in Eden remix/reissue date finally announced for September 16, 2022.

https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/remast57.htm

This is the CD / Bluray version of a brand new (2022) Stereo & 5.1 Remix of Marillion's sixth album Holidays In Eden.

Disc One features a brand new stereo remix of the album by Stephen W Tayler.

Discs Two and Three feature the concert from the Hammersmith Odeon on 30th September 1991.

The blu-ray contains 48/24 stereo and LPCM 5.1 mixes and a DTS-HD Master 5.1 audio of the album. B-Sides and Bonus tracks are also included.

Video content consists of "Pain And Heaven" - an 85 minute documentary covering the making of the album.

Also included is the Rockpalast live performance from German TV (18 tracks) and the promotional videos for Cover My Eyes, No One Can and Dry Land.

Approximate running time is 3hrs 20mins.

Probably worth it for the concerts and the documentary alone, but Iím also always interested to see what the remix will be like.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #1728 on: July 20, 2022, 10:12:58 AM »
Did I miss something? I thought Seasonís End would be next. Is this a surprise to anyone but me?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: July 20, 2022, 10:23:31 AM »
Did I miss something? I thought Seasonís End would be next. Is this a surprise to anyone but me?

Well, they seem to be going in a random order; I had hoped Season's End would be next, but I don't think anyone said definitively.  I missed out on Brave and Afraid...  (anyone got an extra copy they want to sell for some value less than my f-ing car?) so I'll buy this, but I'm waiting for Season's myself.  I want to hear The King Of Sunset Town in 5.1 really bad. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1730 on: July 20, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »

They acknowledged it briefly on their facebook post that they hope to have Season's End released in 2023.

Offline romdrums

• Sooner or later, everyone pays the Piper!
« Reply #1731 on: July 20, 2022, 10:55:28 AM »

Well, they seem to be going in a random order; I had hoped Season's End would be next, but I don't think anyone said definitively.  I missed out on Brave and Afraid...  (anyone got an extra copy they want to sell for some value less than my f-ing car?) so I'll buy this, but I'm waiting for Season's myself.  I want to hear The King Of Sunset Town in 5.1 really bad.

Brave and AOS are worth it, Stads.  Great stuff in there for sure.  I'm mad I missed out on the Clutching remaster.  I've got the Fugazi one, and I really don't like how they mixed the drums.  But, I think I'll grab this one and the Seasons End one.  I hope they include the live footage from Stoke Row to Ipanema and update that.  I wonder if they have the full show?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: July 20, 2022, 11:12:29 AM »

Brave and AOS are worth it, Stads.  Great stuff in there for sure.  I'm mad I missed out on the Clutching remaster.  I've got the Fugazi one, and I really don't like how they mixed the drums.  But, I think I'll grab this one and the Seasons End one.  I hope they include the live footage from Stoke Row to Ipanema and update that.  I wonder if they have the full show?

I have all four original ones; if you don't like the Fugazi mixes, be warned that on the Clutching package, the main album is a REMIX as well, and there are different vocals on there.  CaS is one of "those" albums for me; I know it SO well, inside and out, that the new vocals sometimes throw me for a loop.  But all the packages are great for what they are.

I'm going to keep looking for Brave and AoS, I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them.  I should have bought them from Racket when I had the chance. You snooze you lose. 

(Text me about Ipanema; the DVD has a complete show from DeMontfort Hall, Leicester, as well as some songs from another night there.  I've ripped that from the DVD.)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1733 on: July 20, 2022, 12:07:01 PM »
As a fairly new convert to the H era, mainly on the strength of the last three albums, Iíll pick this up. I really like HiE.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: July 20, 2022, 01:30:38 PM »
As a fairly new convert to the H era, mainly on the strength of the last three albums, Iíll pick this up. I really like HiE.

Be curious at some point how the various H albums stack up for you.  I was there in real time when Season's End came out, so in a lot of ways it will always be my personal favorite, even if there are two or three I like the music better on.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1735 on: August 05, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
Brave is the only Deluxe I didn't bother with. (I bought the original and first remaster and wasn't going to sink any more money into that album. )

Glad I bought Afraid of Sunlight though. I'd warmed to about half of the album by that point and the live concert on it is killer.  Can't believe that there is a version of Cannibal Surf Babe that I can tolerate and dare I say possibly enjoy.