Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 233053 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1680 on: March 09, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »
So I never really bothered with the Hogarth era after Brave u til FEAR made me give them a chance again. So recently I’ve been going through it, and whilst some of it is just ok, what a fantastic album This Strange Engine is. I see certain other albums mentioned all the time but not this one.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1681 on: March 09, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
So I never really bothered with the Hogarth era after Brave u til FEAR made me give them a chance again. So recently I’ve been going through it, and whilst some of it is just ok, what a fantastic album This Strange Engine is. I see certain other albums mentioned all the time but not this one.

FWIW, I think there is a segment of fans who hold TSE in pretty high regard. Certainly the title track is a fan favorite, as is Estonia. For me it has 3 great tracks (those 2 plus Man of a Thousand Faces) and the rest is a bit hit or miss, but it’s not a bad album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1682 on: March 09, 2022, 02:47:55 PM »

FWIW, I think there is a segment of fans who hold TSE in pretty high regard. Certainly the title track is a fan favorite, as is Estonia. For me it has 3 great tracks (those 2 plus Man of a Thousand Faces) and the rest is a bit hit or miss, but it’s not a bad album.

I don't say this to argue, but to provide interesting contrast...  I was a HUGE Marillion fan through Brave.  I didn't get Afraid of Sunlight right away (in fact, it was worse than that) and so when I heard "This Strange Engine" I bailed.   I didn't buy a single Marillion album until the buzz and rave over Marbles was too much to ignore, and so I bought it (and LOVED IT).  I went back and listened to that which came out in between - Radiation, .com, and Anoraknophobia - and while none of it matched Marbles, they were good.  Unfortunately, other than Estonia, nothing onTSE has risen up over the years.  It's still the worst album up through Marbles, and second worst overall (I'm not counting "Less Is More").

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1683 on: March 09, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »

I don't say this to argue, but to provide interesting contrast...  I was a HUGE Marillion fan through Brave.  I didn't get Afraid of Sunlight right away (in fact, it was worse than that) and so when I heard "This Strange Engine" I bailed.   I didn't buy a single Marillion album until the buzz and rave over Marbles was too much to ignore, and so I bought it (and LOVED IT).  I went back and listened to that which came out in between - Radiation, .com, and Anoraknophobia - and while none of it matched Marbles, they were good.  Unfortunately, other than Estonia, nothing onTSE has risen up over the years.  It's still the worst album up through Marbles, and second worst overall (I'm not counting "Less Is More").

I've been wondering this - the band seem to consider both Less Is More and With Friends From The Orchestra as part of their main studio discography, allowing An Hour Before It's Dark to be their 20th studio album over-all, but how do fans feel about this? Both albums largely consist of re-recordings of older material, though in the case of LIM, it includes one new song. At least both albums don't have any over-lapping songs, but they are largely just compilations, despite the re-arrangements involved on both albums.

I personally own LIM but have rarely listened to it, and I think I streamed WFFTO once, and it was pretty good (the song choices on it were nice picks, IMO).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1684 on: March 09, 2022, 04:26:07 PM »

I've been wondering this - the band seem to consider both Less Is More and With Friends From The Orchestra as part of their main studio discography, allowing An Hour Before It's Dark to be their 20th studio album over-all, but how do fans feel about this? Both albums largely consist of re-recordings of older material, though in the case of LIM, it includes one new song. At least both albums don't have any over-lapping songs, but they are largely just compilations, despite the re-arrangements involved on both albums.

I personally own LIM but have rarely listened to it, and I think I streamed WFFTO once, and it was pretty good (the song choices on it were nice picks, IMO).

-Marc.

Oh, it’s almost totally a management thing, and I think they mostly wanted to be able to market this album as their 20th. The band could not tell you how many albums they’ve released. Pete and H were asked on H’s podcast to name all 19 albums, and neither of them could come up with how they were billing this one as number 20 (nobody could name With Friends or decide if Less is More counted). It’s kind of a running gag that there aren’t really 20 Marillion albums. The other debate is whether or not Happiness is the Road counts for one or two. At least in Lucy’s eyes it’s one, but don’t know if the band really care one way or the other.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1685 on: March 09, 2022, 06:11:01 PM »

-Marc.

Oh, it’s almost totally a management thing, and I think they mostly wanted to be able to market this album as their 20th. The band could not tell you how many albums they’ve released. Pete and H were asked on H’s podcast to name all 19 albums, and neither of them could come up with how they were billing this one as number 20 (nobody could name With Friends or decide if Less is More counted). It’s kind of a running gag that there aren’t really 20 Marillion albums. The other debate is whether or not Happiness is the Road counts for one or two. At least in Lucy’s eyes it’s one, but don’t know if the band really care one way or the other.
Yeah I don't count Less is More or WFFtO as studio albums, no matter what the band or their management says. And Happiness is the Road is definitely 1 album. I think a case could be made for B-Sides Themselves, since none of the songs on there are from any of the studio albums, but I still consider it an EP or compilation, since all the songs were from different recording sessions.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1686 on: March 09, 2022, 06:51:18 PM »

-Marc.

Yeah I don't count Less is More or WFFtO as studio albums, no matter what the band or their management says. And Happiness is the Road is definitely 1 album. I think a case could be made for B-Sides Themselves, since none of the songs on there are from any of the studio albums, but I still consider it an EP or compilation, since all the songs were from different recording sessions.

So then for you, AHBID is their 18th studio album, though for some it might be their 19th (if they count HITR as two and not one), while it seems their management considers AHBID to be their 20th, most likely for marketing purposes. It's a bit fitting, having reached "20" just before their 40th anniversary (even though they technically formed in 78, their debut album wasn't until 83).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1687 on: March 09, 2022, 08:52:21 PM »

-Marc.

So then for you, AHBID is their 18th studio album, though for some it might be their 19th (if they count HITR as two and not one), while it seems their management considers AHBID to be their 20th, most likely for marketing purposes. It's a bit fitting, having reached "20" just before their 40th anniversary (even though they technically formed in 78, their debut album wasn't until 83).

-Marc.
And what their marketing team doesn't seem to understand is, if it's a good album it doesn't matter if it's album #18 or album #20. I couldn't care less what album it is. And I'm sure most of Marillion's fans feel the same way.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1688 on: March 09, 2022, 10:58:38 PM »
it doesn't really matter how many you count it as. But when I did review of all the albums videos on YouTube, I did 18, and I counted B-sides.

I didn't count
Less Is More
With Friends

and I counted Happiness as 1

if you do that and don't include B-Sides, than you only really get AHBID as their 18th.

I mentioned in 1 of those videos it reminds me of how King's X's album "XV" wasn't their 15th studio album (but actually their 12th), but they counted a live album, a compilation, and an album made before they changed their name.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 01:09:13 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: March 10, 2022, 08:05:25 AM »
Night Ranger released the album "Seven" in 1998, but it was only seven if you didn't count the one album they did without Jack Blades in '95.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1690 on: March 10, 2022, 09:11:17 AM »
IQ's The Seventh House is technically their 7th album if you don't count either release of Seven Stories Into Eight, either the 1982 demo or the 1998 re-recording/re-release, Seven Stories Into '98. Oddly enough, a lot of reviews count Frequency as their 10th album, which came out two albums after The Seventh House:facepalm: :lol

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1691 on: March 24, 2022, 01:07:27 PM »
I finally just picked up AHBID and I’ve been giving it a spin on my lunch break.

Initial thoughts: it certainly is a beautiful album…but it doesn’t exactly have a lot of umph to it, does it. This almost feels like what 10cc would have sounded like if they had continued to develop their early lush proggy sound.

It’s not bad. May need to grow on me. I HATE the track splits. ESPECIALLY how they split up all the proper songs and then made the remix MM a “hidden track” after a bit of silence at the end of Care. Just stupid.

I also found the Fugazi boxed set on the shelf so I nabbed that but I probably won’t get to spin it til this weekend
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #1692 on: March 24, 2022, 01:13:15 PM »
I finally just picked up AHBID and I’ve been giving it a spin on my lunch break.

Initial thoughts: it certainly is a beautiful album…but it doesn’t exactly have a lot of umph to it, does it. This almost feels like what 10cc would have sounded like if they had continued to develop their early lush proggy sound.

It’s not bad. May need to grow on me. I HATE the track splits. ESPECIALLY how they split up all the proper songs and then made the remix MM a “hidden track” after a bit of silence at the end of Care. Just stupid.

I also found the Fugazi boxed set on the shelf so I nabbed that but I probably won’t get to spin it til this weekend

The track splits are brutal. Not sure what you mean about lack of umph. It might be their most rocky album since Anorak probably, and Rothery’s solos are particularly powerful IMO. But Marillion have always been much more about layers of sound and ambiance than umph (at least with H).

If you actually or mentally join the tracks (the download from the official site gives you the tracks combined), it really is a nicely balanced album. The first 3 songs are essentially a suit about ecological crisis dealing with climate change and the pandemic in particular. The second 3 are more personal stories, with bits of Care tying everything together. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 01:19:10 PM by HOF »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1693 on: March 24, 2022, 01:19:06 PM »
I agree that Rothery’s solos are absolutely off the chart. In fact I think The Crow and the Nightingale is one of the most beautiful tracks I’ve ever heard. But I guess I’m just noticing the recent trend of tending to stay away from the more “rock” side of Marillion. I mean, it doesn’t seem like we’re ever gonna hear anything as jaunty Assassing or even The Uninvited Guest again.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1694 on: March 24, 2022, 01:20:26 PM »
I agree that Rothery’s solos are absolutely off the chart. In fact I think The Crow and the Nightingale is one of the most beautiful tracks I’ve ever heard. But I guess I’m just noticing the recent trend of tending to stay away from the more “rock” side of Marillion. I mean, it doesn’t seem like we’re ever gonna hear anything as jaunty Assassing or even The Uninvited Guest again.

Probably not. I just don’t think that’s where their musical interest lies right now. But I also think a slower more atmospheric pace suits them better at this age too.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1695 on: March 25, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »
I listened to it once with the track splits, and every other time, as a 7-song, 7-track record.

I'm kind of surprised how many people are still having issue or seeing it with the track splits. The download the band themselves sent doesn't have them. I guess if Spotify or the other streaming platforms is your only way to listen to it, than that's on you given there is a version available without them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1696 on: March 25, 2022, 07:10:59 AM »
I listened to it once with the track splits, and every other time, as a 7-song, 7-track record.

I'm kind of surprised how many people are still having issue or seeing it with the track splits. The download the band themselves sent doesn't have them. I guess if Spotify or the other streaming platforms is your only way to listen to it, than that's on you given there is a version available without them.

I’ve never cared for any of the streaming services. I went to an actual CD shop and purchased a physical copy over the counter. (The deluxe edition with the bonus DVD no less)

Even though I did listen to the CD straight through, I thought the track splits were obnoxious.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1697 on: March 25, 2022, 07:23:05 AM »

I’ve never cared for any of the streaming services. I went to an actual CD shop and purchased a physical copy over the counter. (The deluxe edition with the bonus DVD no less)

Even though I did listen to the CD straight through, I thought the track splits were obnoxious.

Yeah, I specifically bought the download from the band so I would have the tracks joined on my computer (bought the CD from Amazon to avoid the shipping nightmare that lots of fans outside of the UK experienced). But if I’m in the car and I want to skip ahead to The Crow and the Nightengale or something, I have to wade through 9 or 10 tracks just to get to the fourth proper song!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: March 25, 2022, 07:32:04 AM »

The track splits are brutal. Not sure what you mean about lack of umph. It might be their most rocky album since Anorak probably, and Rothery’s solos are particularly powerful IMO. But Marillion have always been much more about layers of sound and ambiance than umph (at least with H).

If you actually or mentally join the tracks (the download from the official site gives you the tracks combined), it really is a nicely balanced album. The first 3 songs are essentially a suit about ecological crisis dealing with climate change and the pandemic in particular. The second 3 are more personal stories, with bits of Care tying everything together.

See, I'm reading this, and I'm thinking "yeah, I know the last couple have been lackluster, but give it a shot, this is friggin' MARILLION!" and then I read that, and I'm like "ugh".   H can be so heavy handed sometimes.  I much prefer the introspective Hogarth than the worldly Hogarth.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1699 on: March 25, 2022, 07:42:45 AM »
 I gotta say I really enjoyed the album, and I neglected most of Marillion's output for a number of years. I HAD to listen to it to interview Steve Rothery, and was pleasantly surprised. But Hogarth's preachings are cringe sometimes. Come on, a sixty-something year-old saying "I've been listening to Greta T?".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: March 25, 2022, 07:44:04 AM »
I gotta say I really enjoyed the album, and I neglected most of Marillion's output for a number of years. I HAD to listen to it to interview Steve Rothery, and was pleasantly surprised. But Hogarth's preachings are cringe sometimes. Come on, a sixty-something year-old saying "I've been listening to Greta T?".

See, that's my worst fear.  :) :) :)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1701 on: March 25, 2022, 07:53:04 AM »

Try to enjoy it without clinging too much to the lyrical content. Otherwise, you might be disappointed.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1702 on: March 25, 2022, 08:34:13 AM »

See, I'm reading this, and I'm thinking "yeah, I know the last couple have been lackluster, but give it a shot, this is friggin' MARILLION!" and then I read that, and I'm like "ugh".   H can be so heavy handed sometimes.  I much prefer the introspective Hogarth than the worldly Hogarth.

Yeah, I think that first half might be a bit much for you, but the second half is the introspective Hogarth and it has some of his strongest writing IMO.

Also, if you spring for the version with the accompanying DVD, the interviews shed a good bit of light on the songs and are worth watching. There's also an all instrumental mix of the album on there, which is very cool and might be worth your time if some of the lyrics are off-putting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:54:50 AM by HOF »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: March 25, 2022, 08:45:06 AM »

Try to enjoy it without clinging too much to the lyrical content. Otherwise, you might be disappointed.

And I can, I'm not that rigid. And it's not like he's not gone down that path before (even on his first Marillion album, "Season's End" was pointed in that direction). 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1704 on: March 25, 2022, 09:44:21 AM »
I don't even know why they gave the Murder Machines Remix the "hidden track" treatment when it's listed for all the world to see on the back of the album.  :lol Just another editing hassle when I had to separate it from Care after I ripped it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1705 on: March 25, 2022, 09:49:36 AM »
I don't even know why they gave the Murder Machines Remix the "hidden track" treatment when it's listed for all the world to see on the back of the album.  :lol Just another editing hassle when I had to separate it from Care after I ripped it.

Yeah, another unnecessary annoyance. It was like they were trying to make the tracking as confusing and difficult as possible.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1706 on: May 22, 2022, 04:45:44 PM »
I’ll have to give that one a try.

You know, I was thinking. For as much as I dislike some of their stuff, I never understood the hate for TSE. I get that the middle has some so-so moments. But Man of a Thousand Faces is amazing, as is the title track. I also rather like 80 Days.

No hate here. I think it blows the doors off of the previous two albums. One of the highlights of the Hogarth era in my opinion.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1707 on: May 22, 2022, 04:52:51 PM »
Love the new album...not quite as strong as FEAR, but also different, more condensed and tight. Care is the strongest track for me, followed by Murder Machines, though that is subject to change. H's lyrical tone seems very desperate throughout, kind of fits with his vocal tone for me. Solid effort for sure.

Like the Envy Of None album. It seems like it ends way too soon. Very characteristic of a great album if it has that feel.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1708 on: May 22, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »

-Marc.

I like Friends From The Orchestra a lot but I love With Friends At St. David's even more. I never listen to Less Is More. I'm not even sure I could tell you what's on it anymore.  I remember not being too fond of the track listing.

They count for me, but I don't think it's that big a deal. But then I would count the live albums (maybe short of official bootlegs and "Weekend"releases.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1709 on: May 22, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »

They aren't bothering me, but I listen to the CD.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1710 on: June 04, 2022, 12:38:36 PM »
Marillion Weekend in Montreal is just a few weeks away, just curious if anyone here is attending? (I am)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1711 on: June 04, 2022, 12:55:31 PM »
Marillion Weekend in Montreal is just a few weeks away, just curious if anyone here is attending? (I am)

I am not, but hope you have an amazing time!

For those who can't travel to a convention, you can purchase a stream of the second night from their recent UK convention, where the band played all of An Hour Before It's Dark (plus encores):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79pcamNnoc

https://marillionvod.uscreen.io/programs/leicesterlive2022

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1712 on: June 22, 2022, 06:08:55 PM »
Any plans for coming back to the US in the future or is that a pipe dream at this point?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1713 on: June 22, 2022, 06:41:30 PM »
Any plans for coming back to the US in the future or is that a pipe dream at this point?

Only thing announced so far (that I know of) beyond the conventions is the UK and Europe this fall. Maybe they’ll try for North America in 2023? They managed to come over on the FEAR tour so I suppose it could happen.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1714 on: June 22, 2022, 07:19:20 PM »
Hope so... A trip to Montreal would be hella pricey for me, only traveled that far once for IQ.