Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 230678 times)

Offline WildRanger

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1435 on: March 13, 2021, 07:34:21 AM »
Did you know that Marillion were booed off the stage by Rush fans in the mid 80's when they opened for Rush?
Did they deserve it?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1436 on: March 13, 2021, 07:40:00 AM »
Did you know that Marillion were booed off the stage by Rush fans in the mid 80's when they opened for Rush?
Did they deserve it?

I did, and they probably didn’t deserve it, but Rush fans were notoriously hard on openers and if you’ve ever seen footage of Fish from back in the day it’s not hard to imagine why the crowd were unwelcoming. :-)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1437 on: March 13, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »
Did they deserve it?

I did, and they probably didn’t deserve it, but Rush fans were notoriously hard on openers and if you’ve ever seen footage of Fish from back in the day it’s not hard to imagine why the crowd were unwelcoming. :-)

Yeah, there was a time when Mr Big opened for Rush, and the drummer got tagged with a thrown bottle. I mean I get not caring for openers, but just chill and wait, no need to be dicks about it.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1438 on: March 13, 2021, 11:37:05 AM »
Did they deserve it?

I saw Rush at Radio City in 1983, and Marillion was the opener, and they were indeed booed loudly throughout their set.  Did they deserve it? Absolutely not

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1439 on: March 27, 2021, 07:54:07 PM »
Did they deserve it?

I saw Rush at Radio City in 1983, and Marillion was the opener, and they were indeed booed loudly throughout their set.  Did they deserve it? Absolutely not

Those were five shows I wish I'd seen.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1440 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THJlfvBoHw

some talk about the new album in this update.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1441 on: May 10, 2021, 10:20:07 PM »

Some interesting tidbits about the songs maybe being more uptempo. Not always a good thing but they’ve been in the moody/atmospheric headspace mostly since Marbles so a change of pace could be nice. Of course things are also still subject to change at this point.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1442 on: May 11, 2021, 01:44:52 PM »

Some interesting tidbits about the songs maybe being more uptempo. Not always a good thing but they’ve been in the moody/atmospheric headspace mostly since Marbles so a change of pace could be nice. Of course things are also still subject to change at this point.

I'm glad to hear they will have some more uptempo things on the record.  FEAR was a slog.  I've always been a fan of their uptempo, rockier stuff to begin with, and so the total lack of that on FEAR was such a disappointment, especially given the nature of the lyrics. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1443 on: May 11, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »

I'm glad to hear they will have some more uptempo things on the record.  FEAR was a slog.  I've always been a fan of their uptempo, rockier stuff to begin with, and so the total lack of that on FEAR was such a disappointment, especially given the nature of the lyrics.

I love FEAR for the most part. It wasn’t totally without it’s up tempo moments, and I generally think Marillion are at their best with slower stuff anyway. But I wouldn’t mind if they picked up the pace a hit with this next one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1444 on: May 16, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »

I love FEAR for the most part. It wasn’t totally without it’s up tempo moments, and I generally think Marillion are at their best with slower stuff anyway. But I wouldn’t mind if they picked up the pace a hit with this next one.

I love FEAR too.

Don't really care what the new one is or isn't as long as I like it.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1445 on: May 26, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks "The Gold" is not only the strongest track on FEAR, but also one of their best songs of all time? It always surprised me that they never released that one as a single.

My other favorite moments of FEAR all belong The Leavers: "The Remainers, "Vapour Trails in the Sky," and "The Jumble of Days." So powerful and haunting! However, as a whole, I think Sounds That Can't Be Made is a slightly stronger album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1446 on: May 26, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks "The Gold" is not only the strongest track on FEAR, but also one of their best songs of all time? It always surprised me that they never released that one as a single.

My other favorite moments of FEAR all belong The Leavers: "The Remainers, "Vapour Trails in the Sky," and "The Jumble of Days." So powerful and haunting! However, as a whole, I think Sounds That Can't Be Made is a slightly stronger album.

I don’t ever think of the individual tracks on El Dorado as individual songs, but I do like that section for sure. It probably would have made a nice single, though I don’t imagine there is much motivation for the band to do singles these days (they did release a special version of Living in Fear I guess).

I really loved Sounds when it came out, but I think as time has gone on FEAR has held up a little better for me. I do still love Sounds though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1447 on: May 27, 2021, 06:08:47 AM »

I don’t ever think of the individual tracks on El Dorado as individual songs, but I do like that section for sure. It probably would have made a nice single, though I don’t imagine there is much motivation for the band to do singles these days (they did release a special version of Living in Fear I guess).

I really loved Sounds when it came out, but I think as time has gone on FEAR has held up a little better for me. I do still love Sounds though.

It's wierd; neither one has really had legs for me.   It might all be in my head, though.  There's a self-righteousness about Hogarth that isn't a dealbreaker, but certainly diminishes some of the appeal for me (NOT the politics, that not an issue, it's the self-righteousness OF the politics).   Which is ironic, because Fish has his moments of self-righteousness too; he just has so many naked moments of ... I don't know what the word is, but with Fish there's enough humility in failed relationships, the failed cunning plans, that the self-righteousness doesn't stick as much as with Hogarth.  As is almost always the case with Marillion, the more emotional, the more they look inward (either to themselves or the characters they are writing about), it seems the more I like the music that results.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1448 on: May 27, 2021, 06:17:12 AM »

The Gold is probably the highlight of FEAR for me, though Demolished Lives has a great, almost sinister vibe that I really enjoy. I need to revisit this album as it fell a bit flat for me when it came out and didn't get as much play as I'd hoped.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1449 on: May 30, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »

I don't know. I enjoy the whole album. It's become one of my favorite Hogarth albums. Especially the live versions....

I like "Sounds" too, but I maybe not as much as I did during the first year it was out. (Maybe because they only played two songs from it (album was not out yet when the show happened.) when I saw them that year.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: June 09, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »
Not really appropriate of anything, but 36 years later, I finally found out what "Expresso Bongo" means in the title to Waterhole. It's a reference to a stage musical - and later movie - from the late 50's that satirized the music industry.  It doesn't take much to understand where Fish's head was that with that reference.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1451 on: June 09, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »
Not really appropriate of anything, but 36 years later, I finally found out what "Expresso Bongo" means in the title to Waterhole. It's a reference to a stage musical - and later movie - from the late 50's that satirized the music industry.  It doesn't take much to understand where Fish's head was that with that reference.

I learned this recently from the Marillion fan podcast Between You and Me. They found it from this excellent website which I have visited several times before but hadn’t seen that part:

https://marillionations.blogspot.com/1985/06/waterhole-expresso-bongo.html?m=1

There are a bunch of random old movie references throughout Misplaced Childhood actually. Bitter Suite has several:

https://marillionations.blogspot.com/1985/06/bitter-suite.html?m=1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1452 on: June 19, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
Apparently Misplaced Childhood was released 36 years ago yesterday.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1453 on: June 20, 2021, 10:59:25 AM »
Steve Rothery posted a photo from Real World, where I believe the band are spending some time over the next week or so recording/refining tracks for the new album. H keeps mentioning how there is a lot more energy in the material (than usual). Should be interesting.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1454 on: June 20, 2021, 11:23:52 AM »
Steve Rothery posted a photo from Real World, where I believe the band are spending some time over the next week or so recording/refining tracks for the new album. H keeps mentioning how there is a lot more energy in the material (than usual). Should be interesting.
I've always said that Marillion needs more energy in their music ever since Marbles. Basically the band IQ has been doing what I've always thought Marillion should have done over the past 15 years. If Marillion can start going in that direction (more energy, more experimentation) we could be in for some amazing albums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: June 20, 2021, 12:17:57 PM »
I love Marillion generally - even the stuff I don't care for I buy to support the band - but they are an exasperating band.   I get it, they are artists and have to follow the muse, but for a band that splintered back in the '80's because a couple members were so hungry for fame and acceptance, they are maddeningly obtuse at times. I thought Marbles was one of the best "balances" of the band in the catalogue.   They haven't approached that since, IMO (though live they are as good as ever: I literally cried during Neverland when I saw them on the FEAR tour).

Offline HOF

« Reply #1456 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »
I've always said that Marillion needs more energy in their music ever since Marbles. Basically the band IQ has been doing what I've always thought Marillion should have done over the past 15 years. If Marillion can start going in that direction (more energy, more experimentation) we could be in for some amazing albums.

I tend to agree with those fans who say what Marillion do best is the mid to low tempo, atmospheric stuff, but I do think it would be nice to change things up a bit. I’m not sure about the experimentation part. I think both FEAR and Sounds has some new territory for the band, though maybe not experimental in terms of something that has never been done before. If the band fee compelled to do something out there that would be fine, but I’m generally happy with the band continuing to produce albums along the lines of what they’ve been doing lately.

I love Marillion generally - even the stuff I don't care for I buy to support the band - but they are an exasperating band.   I get it, they are artists and have to follow the muse, but for a band that splintered back in the '80's because a couple members were so hungry for fame and acceptance, they are maddeningly obtuse at times. I thought Marbles was one of the best "balances" of the band in the catalogue.   They haven't approached that since, IMO (though live they are as good as ever: I literally cried during Neverland when I saw them on the FEAR tour).

Marillion are a band who you either roll with the changes or get left behind a bit. I’ve genuinely enjoyed just about every album to one extent or another. They are somewhat like Rush in that regard. You have about half the fan base disliking half the albums (or more). Over at the Marillion.com forum they are doing a series of favorite/least favorite albums and songs polls, and just about every album is getting a mention for least favorite (don’t think I’ve seen CAS, Brave, or AOS mentioned but just about everything else has been), while there are a ton of songs I love getting mentioned as least favorites. Yet those same fans seem to remain quite devoted no matter what the band does.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1457 on: June 20, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »

I tend to agree with those fans who say what Marillion do best is the mid to low tempo, atmospheric stuff, but I do think it would be nice to change things up a bit. I’m not sure about the experimentation part. I think both FEAR and Sounds has some new territory for the band, though maybe not experimental in terms of something that has never been done before. If the band fee compelled to do something out there that would be fine, but I’m generally happy with the band continuing to produce albums along the lines of what they’ve been doing lately.

I meant experimentation in the sense of trying to incorporate new genres/styles into their music. They've stuck to their guns for too long and for me it has caused my love for the band to suffer in recent years. I still enjoy most of what they do, but I feel like they could do so much more. They have some of the best song writers out there, but I think their talents are being used to their full potential. Rothery is a genius on a level with Alex Lifeson when if comes to guitar melodies/chord progressions/solos, but has been underused lately. Maybe it's a conscious decision by the band, I don't know. And H is one of my favorite vocalists when it comes to vocal phrasing/harmonies/melodies, and I love most of his lyrics. Pete has always been a solid and tasteful bass player, same with Mark Kelly on keyboards. And I've heard some people think Ian Mosley needs to be replaced, but I think his drumming fits perfectly with the bands music. He has a very loose jazzy style to his playing that I like.

Long story, short (too late), I think they need to step up their game. Maybe they are feeling less inclined to try genuinely new things in their old age. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1458 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:21 AM »
Agree on the "more energy"-argument. And on the IQ-point that Puppies on Acid pointed out. It's a shame that IQ don't get the attention Marillion does. Concerning the energy (I'm not sure if it's still politically correct to call it "balls") in the band's music, I think the last time they really had that was on Anoraknophobia. I love Marbles and I am one of the (few?) Happiness supporters (love that double album), but we haven't heard a heard-hitting song like Quartz in quite some time.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1459 on: June 21, 2021, 06:02:58 AM »
I thought there was a lot of energy on Sounds That Can't Be Made, that one really brought the rock back. The problem is, they seem to have a hardcore fanbase that loves the longer, proggier atmospheric stuff and hates the shorter, rockier stuff. Personally, I think the longer prog epics work better with shorter, rockier tracks to contrast against. It's one of the reasons I wasn't mad on FEAR, it was all a bit mid-tempo and all sounded the same.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1460 on: June 26, 2021, 08:01:19 PM »
I thought there was a lot of energy on Sounds That Can't Be Made, that one really brought the rock back. The problem is, they seem to have a hardcore fanbase that loves the longer, proggier atmospheric stuff and hates the shorter, rockier stuff. Personally, I think the longer prog epics work better with shorter, rockier tracks to contrast against. It's one of the reasons I wasn't mad on FEAR, it was all a bit mid-tempo and all sounded the same.

I don't think they can handle much up tempo at this stage anymore. Last time I saw them 2016, I thought there was a noticable lag in tempo. Now that could just be a stylistic choice or maybe they can't climb that hill like they used anymore which is just father time extracting his cut.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1461 on: June 27, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
https://www.marillion.com/news/newsitem.htm?id=502

Marillion weekends are back on for 2022! (at least for now) I will be there in montreal for sure if it happens, that would be a good post pandemic first gig

Offline HOF

« Reply #1462 on: July 07, 2021, 07:23:58 AM »
Details of the Fugazi deluxe re-issue announced:

https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/remast53.htm?fbclid=IwAR3A7T0Zj-HtVsbHZl4KCwmy-YKMjHrayh_KNdjHa7wGrHIW7U65y4EUUYY

I imagine this one will benefit from a modern remix, though the original isn’t bad to me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1463 on: July 07, 2021, 07:26:55 AM »

https://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/remast53.htm?fbclid=IwAR3A7T0Zj-HtVsbHZl4KCwmy-YKMjHrayh_KNdjHa7wGrHIW7U65y4EUUYY

I imagine this one will benefit from a modern remix, though the original isn’t bad to me.

In the announcement on FB, there was an inquiry regarding possible sets for Season’s End and Holidays in Eden. The official page responded that both would be coming next year. No details.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: July 07, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
On my birthday!  Yay!

In the announcement on FB, there was an inquiry regarding possible sets for Season’s End - YAY! - and Holidays in Eden - NAY! - . The official page responded that both would be coming next year. No details.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1465 on: July 07, 2021, 11:40:04 AM »

In the announcement on FB, there was an inquiry regarding possible sets for Season’s End and Holidays in Eden. The official page responded that both would be coming next year. No details.

Yeah, those are the last two for the EMI years so that makes sense. I thought I read somewhere that Holidays was to be the next but not sure about that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: July 07, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »

Yeah, those are the last two for the EMI years so that makes sense. I thought I read somewhere that Holidays was to be the next but not sure about that.

Is there rhyme or reason to the order?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1467 on: July 07, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »

Is there rhyme or reason to the order?

Not that I know of. May have been based on a sense of demand. Might have as much to do with who is mixing them as anything. The first two were Misplaced Childhood and Brave which were the ones Steven Wilson was interested in doing. Then they did Clutching with Bradfield/McIntosh, AOS with Mike Hunter, and then back to Bradfield/McIntosh for Script and Fugazi. Guessing the plan was for Wilson to do them, but he only wanted to do a few and then they got Hunter to do the more modern ones and Bradfield/McIntosh for the rest of the Fish era (and I think they’ve done really well so far). We’ll see who does the remaining H EMI albums (not sure if they’ll go on past AOS or not).

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1468 on: July 07, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »

I think the original mix is fine. However Fugazi is my least favorite of the Fish era.  :-\ It's still a decent album though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline HOF

« Reply #1469 on: July 07, 2021, 05:07:53 PM »

I think the original mix is fine. However Fugazi is my least favorite of the Fish era.  :-\ It's still a decent album though.

I prefer Fugazi to Script, but those are my two least favorite Marillion albums for sure. Fugazi starts really strong with Assassing, Punch and Judy, and Jigsaw, but then it just falls off a cliff into dense bloviating from Fish.