Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 230675 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Marillion
« Reply #1295 on: May 13, 2020, 09:45:59 AM »
Absolutely fucking beautiful. I still remember my first full listen to Brave, I cried like a baby when it got to that song. It still stirs the emotions deeply.

Definitely. Some people complain it doesn’t quite fit with the story, but to me it’s a necessary release after the tension that runs throughout Brave, and a beautiful conclusion to the story. Maybe it’s sort of trite to give the album a happy ending, but I don’t think I would prefer Brave without it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:39:41 PM by HOF »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1296 on: May 13, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »
I never "got" Brave. i give it a go now and then to see if something in me has changed, but it hasn't yet.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1297 on: May 13, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »
I never "got" Brave. i give it a go now and then to see if something in me has changed, but it hasn't yet.

It's hard to get to. Took me a while to get it, but I did get it with the live versions though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1298 on: May 13, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »
For the longest time I thought it was their last great album.  That's now Marbles, but the point remains.   It took the live version for it to really click, though. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #1299 on: May 13, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
Brave to me is such a studio album that it doesn’t make as much sense live. I have seen some great performances of it live, but I’ve also seen or heard some not so great ones (the Made Again concert is one example).

I wouldn’t call it an immediate album, but it always surprises me when Marillion fans say they can’t get Brave. It has a certain gravitas about it. From the opening fog horn sound it always sucked me in, though it does help to have headphones. It’s also one that I’ve gotten positive feedback on from friends who aren’t prog or Marillion fans. People resonate on different wavelengths though I guess.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1300 on: May 16, 2020, 09:37:01 AM »

Never has for me. Sure fire cure for insomnia. After 25 years, I just gave up.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1301 on: May 17, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
Another lockdown performance from Marillion. This time it’s Made Again:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-WqMgD_NFE

The audio of this is now available to purchase/download at Amazon (and other places) for an apparently undetermined charity. Also a little publicity for the band I guess in the download charts.

https://www.amazon.com/Made-Again-2020-Marillion/dp/B088P69HDX/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Marillion+made+again&qid=1589741893&s=music&sr=1-3-catcorr

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1302 on: June 04, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
Don't know why, but I've always considered this Seasons End day. It's sounding especially sweet today. Had to crank up the title track when I got there. Guess King of Sunset Town made quite the impression way back when.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1303 on: June 04, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »
Don't know why, but I've always considered this Seasons End day. It's sounding especially sweet today. Had to crank up the title track when I got there. Guess King of Sunset Town made quite the impression way back when.

“A ragged man game shuffling through. The puppet king on the fourth of June.”

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: June 04, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »
What a great, underrated album.  I listened to it the other day while cooking dinner.  My favorites on that record are King..., After Me, The Uninvited Guest, and The Space....

Offline HOF

« Reply #1305 on: June 04, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »
Not to mention Easter! I also really like After Me.

But I probably prefer both of the B-sides from those sessions (The Release and Bell in the Sea) to Uninvited Guest.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1306 on: June 04, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »
What a great, underrated album.  I listened to it the other day while cooking dinner.  My favorites on that record are King..., After Me, The Uninvited Guest, and The Space....

Only one that still bugs me is Hooks In You (That video? Bleah!) but it did then too. Still love the way they came on stage for the three times I saw them in '89-'90 with King Of Sunset Town. That choice to kick off the show was not lost on me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1307 on: June 04, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

But I probably prefer both of the B-sides from those sessions (The Release and Bell in the Sea) to Uninvited Guest.

As I was listening to Easter I was thinking how huge a fan favorite that song has become over 30 years to the point of just having the audience sing it. I could pick maybe three songs from that album I'd rather hear more, but that song really has taken on a life of its own. The studio version just doesn't seem all that special to me although I do like it quite a bit.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1308 on: June 04, 2020, 04:33:26 PM »

Only one that still bugs me is Hooks In You (That video? Bleah!) but it did then too. Still love the way they came on stage for the three times I saw them in '89-'90 with King Of Sunset Town. That choice to kick off the show was not lost on me.

Agreed. King of Sunset Town was a brilliant introduction to Hogarth as frontman. It’s still one of my favorite vocal moments by him.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1309 on: June 04, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
Guys, I was just sitting on my porch watching the sun go down and listening to Seasons End, guess I should’ve listened to the lyrics a bit closer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: June 05, 2020, 06:52:03 AM »

As I was listening to Easter I was thinking how huge a fan favorite that song has become over 30 years to the point of just having the audience sing it. I could pick maybe three songs from that album I'd rather hear more, but that song really has taken on a life of its own. The studio version just doesn't seem all that special to me although I do like it quite a bit.

Blasphemy/Hot take/Controversial Opinion Corner:    Not really a huge fan of Easter.  It doesn't suck or anything, but I'm not a fan of sing-a-longs - I REALLY don't like that there are so many versions of Kayleigh where Hogarth stands there with the grin and the mic pointed out over the crowd while the crowd sings the entire song - so there's that, but I think it's also a matter that I like other songs better on that album.  I will occasionally skip it to get from KOST to TUG. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1311 on: June 05, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »

Blasphemy/Hot take/Controversial Opinion Corner:    Not really a huge fan of Easter.  It doesn't suck or anything, but I'm not a fan of sing-a-longs - I REALLY don't like that there are so many versions of Kayleigh where Hogarth stands there with the grin and the mic pointed out over the crowd while the crowd sings the entire song - so there's that, but I think it's also a matter that I like other songs better on that album.  I will occasionally skip it to get from KOST to TUG.
so will I, but for me it's because of the overly pathetic nature of Easter (I still like it though, I just wish there wasn't any pathos involved)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DTA

« Reply #1312 on: June 05, 2020, 07:10:39 AM »

That is a hot take, though I can see where you're coming from. I like the verses and chorus enough, but for me, Easter is all about the guitar solo. Everything else is just stuff in the way of the guitar solo.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: June 05, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »
No argument there; I'll give you that. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #1314 on: June 05, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »

That is a hot take, though I can see where you're coming from. I like the verses and chorus enough, but for me, Easter is all about the guitar solo. Everything else is just stuff in the way of the guitar solo.

Yeah, I don’t disagree with the take on how H sings it live, and it doesn’t necessarily hold up after being played live half a million times (though there was something special about the Royal Albert Hall performance).

But as far as the album version of Easter, the guitar solo is in my top 5 all time solos. The song itself (not necessarily my favorite Marillion song even) is on a short list of great prog rock tracks along with Starless, The Cinema Show, Big Big Train’s Victorian Brickwork, and maybe a few others.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1315 on: June 09, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Guys, I was just sitting on my porch watching the sun go down and listening to Seasons End, guess I should’ve listened to the lyrics a bit closer.

I've never done that before. You may be on to something.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1316 on: June 09, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »

If I have to deal with them doing Kayleigh now. I'd much rather have him hold the mic out than sing it himself. It's SO much better that way. (Easter too, but I'm always up for hearing that live. )

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1317 on: June 09, 2020, 06:50:47 PM »

That's kind of how I view Comfortably Numb now, but I think Easter has more going for it especially when Hogarth goes off too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1318 on: June 09, 2020, 06:55:58 PM »

Yeah, I don’t disagree with the take on how H sings it live, and it doesn’t necessarily hold up after being played live half a million times (though there was something special about the Royal Albert Hall performance).

But as far as the album version of Easter, the guitar solo is in my top 5 all time solos.

I think it totally holds up which is why it has become legendary.   Doesn't sound dated like Limelight does.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1319 on: June 21, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
I was listening to the Billy's Old Mill show from Milwaukee in 1987 and was reminded that he sometimes used to do the Phil Collins thing with the comedy. Of course it's possible it may have been the alcohol.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1320 on: June 21, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
I’ve owned it since it was first released, but today has been the first time that I’ve actually had a chance to sit in my man cave turn on my surround system and listen to the Steven Wilson remix of Misplaced Childhood.

Blind Curve does NOT disappoint.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1321 on: June 23, 2020, 06:52:06 AM »
Marillion announced an virtual Marillion weekend the first week of September, with shows each night streamed on YouTube

Offline HOF

« Reply #1322 on: June 23, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
Marillion announced an virtual Marillion weekend the first week of September, with shows each night streamed on YouTube

From what I can tell, they are going to be streaming old concert films, not performing a livestream concert just to be clear.

Announcement here: http://marillion.com/news/newsitem.htm?id=483

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: June 25, 2020, 02:41:31 PM »
Hey trivia buffs!    I'm watching "Colours And Sound", the doc on the Marbles album and tour (decent, not great, not bad) and there are two "Easter eggs" on the first disk.  Both are Hogarth at a piano, Rothery and Trewavas on acoustic instruments (guitar and bass, though Rothery has the BASS during one of the songs).  The songs are "Easter" and I think "Don't Hurt Yourself" from Marbles.  I've come to believe these are acoustic for a radio session; does anyone know the exact source?   

Thanks!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1324 on: June 25, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
Hey trivia buffs!    I'm watching "Colours And Sound", the doc on the Marbles album and tour (decent, not great, not bad) and there are two "Easter eggs" on the first disk.  Both are Hogarth at a piano, Rothery and Trewavas on acoustic instruments (guitar and bass, though Rothery has the BASS during one of the songs).  The songs are "Easter" and I think "Don't Hurt Yourself" from Marbles.  I've come to believe these are acoustic for a radio session; does anyone know the exact source?   

Thanks!

I’ve got a set of songs that I downloaded long ago from a radio session that includes Don’t Hurt Yourself which follows directly after one of the Marbles sections (they flow together I believe). I know I also have You’re Gone, Map of the World, and Answering Machine as well, but don’t think I have one of them doing Easter. Could be a totally different radio session, but that would be the right time frame. Will see how the MP3s are labeled when I get home.   

It might be worth checking out the band’s Bandcamp page since they have a ton of the old fanclub releases for purchase there. Decent chance one of them includes the performances in question.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:02:02 PM by HOF »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1325 on: June 25, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
This isn’t a radio performance, but could be the source (or at least a similar performance) of what’s on Colours and Sounds.

https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.com/album/frc-037-bowery-ballroom-new-york-ny-usa-12th-june-2005

Edit: Wow, this includes Tumble Down the Years, which I thought they never performed until the .com convention a few years ago. Also a very cool abbreviated version of Ocean Cloud.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:39:23 PM by HOF »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: June 25, 2020, 04:03:30 PM »
HOF, thanks for your reply!  I found it; it's a promo thing at Radio Madrid, Madrid, Spain, 18 June, 2004.  You got part right, though, because while the DVD has Don't Hurt Yourself and Easter, but they DID play Marbles I before DHY (they just didn't film it, I guess). 

Thanks though (and I'm still going to check out that link!).

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1327 on: June 25, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »
I've watched colors and sounds many times,  I love the shenanigans they get into on the road. Loopy Mark Kelly going into a service station in the middle of the night covered in toilet paper and with sunglasses on, looking like the invisible man. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #1328 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
HOF, thanks for your reply!  I found it; it's a promo thing at Radio Madrid, Madrid, Spain, 18 June, 2004.  You got part right, though, because while the DVD has Don't Hurt Yourself and Easter, but they DID play Marbles I before DHY (they just didn't film it, I guess). 

Thanks though (and I'm still going to check out that link!).

So it looks like mine are from a radio station in Paris (RTL2) unless they are somehow mislabeled. I do have Easter as it turns out, so it’s the same set list and probably the same time period. I think I downloaded them from marillion.com way back when.

I listened to that whole Bandcamp concert earlier, and it’s a really good performance with a nice set list. All acoustic, but Rothery actually does the Sugar Mice solo electric which was really cool. Some nice arrangements throughout.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: June 26, 2020, 07:54:34 AM »
I've watched colors and sounds many times,  I love the shenanigans they get into on the road. Loopy Mark Kelly going into a service station in the middle of the night covered in toilet paper and with sunglasses on, looking like the invisible man.

It's a good doc; some people (Erik Neilsen for one) got a little too much screen time (and are a little too full of themselves) but the behind the scenes stuff is good.   One of the bonus sections shows Mark Kelly and Steve Rothery (independently) editing "You're Gone" for the single release.   It's fascinating to watch a band like Marillion; for all their "music first", EVERY ONE OF THEM knows the details of their business venture.  That's a good thing, by the way, not a knock, but if you followed them back in the day, it was very much a "we're playing, someone else is responsible for that" and we all know the stories about John Arnison (the manager that, in a way, came between the band and Fish; he gave a sort of "either he goes or I go" and we all know how that turned out).   They know all the budgets, what the spends are, Hogarth talked of the "Holland numbers" for Anoraknophobia, and could tell you the weekly chart positions of the Marbles singles... 

I also ripped a short - minute and a half or so - instrumental segment of "The Damage" that RULES.  It's about 20 minutes before the end of the main doc, under a montage of a load-in.  Pretty cool guitar part, if you ask me.