Meer - Playing House (2021)

Started by nick_z, June 02, 2021, 11:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick_z

Hi everyone – first time poster (but long-time reader!)

For the occasion, I wanted to share a recent discovery: Norwegian orchestral (pop?) prog band Meer, and their album "Playing house". I think I saw a post about this in the What are you listening to thread, but nothing more. They pretty much came out of nowhere (at least as far as I am concerned), and the album is one of my favorites of the year so far. Certainly the biggest surprise!

Really interesting, warm sound, with tasteful orchestration/arrangements, great melodies and fantastic songs. Two main singers, female and male. LOVE her voice. The vocal interplay does remind me of early Pure Reason Revolution at times, but there is much more variety here. First and last track are a bit "proggier". The chorus in the opener, "Picking up the pieces", is goosebump-worthy. The final chorus especially, as the voices harmonize and soar. Probably my favorite song on the album. The closer, "Lay it down", has an instrumental section towards the end that almost sounds like Pain of Salvation.

"Beehive" is another great song, with especially strong vocals, and so is "Honey". Some other tracks have an indie-pop flavor to them (e.g. Across the ocean). Then there's something like "You were a drum", that somehow almost starts like Tears for Fears' "Working hour", before turning into something Beth Orton could sing...

Anyway – I'll stop here  ;D Bottom line for me: brilliant album, easy to like but also full of interesting twists and turns. Curious to hear if any of you in this fine music community has had a chance to give it a listen...

Beehive's official video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uzhgceNZs

HOF

Heard this one recently. Really interesting stuff. Need to give it another listen but it got my attention.

EPICVIEW

Quote from: nick_z on June 02, 2021, 11:31:20 AM
Hi everyone – first time poster (but long-time reader!)

For the occasion, I wanted to share a recent discovery: Norwegian orchestral (pop?) prog band Meer, and their album "Playing house". I think I saw a post about this in the What are you listening to thread, but nothing more. They pretty much came out of nowhere (at least as far as I am concerned), and the album is one of my favorites of the year so far. Certainly the biggest surprise!

Really interesting, warm sound, with tasteful orchestration/arrangements, great melodies and fantastic songs. Two main singers, female and male. LOVE her voice. The vocal interplay does remind me of early Pure Reason Revolution at times, but there is much more variety here. First and last track are a bit "proggier". The chorus in the opener, "Picking up the pieces", is goosebump-worthy. The final chorus especially, as the voices harmonize and soar. Probably my favorite song on the album. The closer, "Lay it down", has an instrumental section towards the end that almost sounds like Pain of Salvation.

"Beehive" is another great song, with especially strong vocals, and so is "Honey". Some other tracks have an indie-pop flavor to them (e.g. Across the ocean). Then there's something like "You were a drum", that somehow almost starts like Tears for Fears' "Working hour", before turning into something Beth Orton could sing...

Anyway – I'll stop here  ;D Bottom line for me: brilliant album, easy to like but also full of interesting twists and turns. Curious to hear if any of you in this fine music community has had a chance to give it a listen...

Beehive's official video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uzhgceNZs

Interesting.... usually not my thing but Its cool...the voice sounds familiar    I dig this its cool  listening as i type 

twosuitsluke

I listened to this a few weeks ago, on a Reddit recommendation. I don't remember having any particularly strong feelings about it. I'm not sure I was listening woth my fullest attention though, I'll give it another spin  :tup
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Freeze

Great album. I saw Meer live at a small prog festival here in Norway in 2017, and was immediately hooked to their sound. They started that show with the song "Beehive" which is now out on the "Playing House" album , and what a great song that is! Lots of other great stuff on the album as well.

nick_z

Quote from: Freeze on June 04, 2021, 07:24:14 AM
Great album. I saw Meer live at a small prog festival here in Norway in 2017, and was immediately hooked to their sound. They started that show with the song "Beehive" which is now out on the "Playing House" album , and what a great song that is! Lots of other great stuff on the album as well.

Nice! I bet they are good live...how long have they been around? "Playing House" is their only official release, right?

Agreed on Beehive. Great song. Love the hint of grit in her voice...really good performance in that one...

Freeze

Quote from: nick_z on June 04, 2021, 07:45:28 AM
Quote from: Freeze on June 04, 2021, 07:24:14 AM

Nice! I bet they are good live...how long have they been around? "Playing House" is their only official release, right?

Agreed on Beehive. Great song. Love the hint of grit in her voice...really good performance in that one...

They released their self titled debut album in 2016. There are some strong moments on the debut album, but "Playing House" is a huge step in the right direction imo. A little rockier and a little proggier.

Fritzinger

I fell in love with this band in February and immediately bought Playing House on vinyl on their Bandcamp page. The song Across The Ocean and its video had me hooked in a second and made me anticipate spring even more :) Absolutely beautiful album.

I'm looking forward to hearing their self titled debut.

nick_z

Pimping this band a little more  :biggrin:...their YT channel put up some good stuff recently:

A phenomenal live version of "Picking up the Pieces", the opener from their album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_gZ3fAATw

A couple of songs from an acoustic session:
"Beehive"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtgN5-3dcI

"Honey"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaj_3UbQDI

Fritzinger

Funny this thread got bumped just now! I was listening to my Playing House 12" just yesterday (followed by another great orchestral prog album, The Death Defying Unicorn)!

What a great album. I wrote this a few posts back, but once again, this album makes me look forward to springtime  :) I just have to check out Meer's debut.

HOF

I never went back and gave this album another listen. Woops!

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

nick_z

Quote from: TAC on January 17, 2022, 08:26:00 AM
Nick.... I tried.  ;D

:rollin

I figured this might not be your cup of tea  :biggrin:

Fritzinger

Quote from: HOF on January 17, 2022, 07:26:28 AM

Please do that  :) as a fellow Passenger I think you might enjoy this orchestral approach to prog with catchy melodies!

HOF

Quote from: Fritzinger on January 17, 2022, 08:58:02 AM
Quote from: HOF on January 17, 2022, 07:26:28 AM

Please do that  :) as a fellow Passenger I think you might enjoy this orchestral approach to prog with catchy melodies!

Will try to do it soon!

SoundscapeMN

bump.

revisiting this album today after checking it out at the end of 2021, and kind of being underwhelmed.

I don't love the whole thing, but at least 2/3 of Playing House has tracks that really work. Especially many of the songs with the female vocalist.

nick_z

:tup

This was my out-of-nowhere favorite of 2021. A complete surprise. I guess it just hit all the right notes. Agreed that the songs with larger role for female vocals are generally better. Picking Up the Pieces is such a fantastic song, and the chorus is "especially special" ;)

Plus, the opening of this thread marked my first post on DTF, so the album is dear to my heart that way  :)

SoundscapeMN

bump.

New album "Wheels Within Wheels" coming August 23rd

1st single/video "Golden Circle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9pQ1bz2c20

nick_z

Nice!! Thank you for sharing...I hadn't checked in a while, and I didn't know something was coming out.

Can't wait for the new album!

nick_z

Yep, really enjoying the new song. I don't want to listen to it too much, but I think it's a great single. It has that same "warmth" the songs from Playing House had, it's super-catchy and quirky enough to be interesting. Good stuff.

fivestring

I got into this band with "Playing House" (maybe due to discussion here...) I was just thinking about them late last week and was going to go look up any news and this single drops! So good. This song has serious Anathema "Weather System" vibes. I can't wait to hear more. :tup

nick_z

Gave the new album a (relatively) focused listen after work. It deserved it, since their previous was my favorite of 2021 and expectations were high on this one :)

Quick first impression - I was generally pleased, but I didn't quite find those same goosebump-worthy moments as in Playing House (like the chorus of Picking Up the Pieces, for example). It sounds like they went for a slightly less immediate set of tunes. I mean, there are still plenty of lovely melodies, but the balance of depth/catchiness/quirkiness they nailed before seems to have shifted a bit here. The first single Golden Circle is maybe one where I found that same "feel" (although it might well be because I was mildly familiar with it, already).

One thing I'll say is I LOVE the way it sounds. Their trademark "warmth" is all there and then some. It feels like you are in the room with the band, and everything sounds so nice and rich.

Anyway - I liked the album and I'll obviously spend more time with it. This has all the potential to be a grower. For now, maybe not taken by it the way I was hoping for. But I already want to press play again, so that's a good sign.

nick_z

Because I'm sure you are all waiting with bated breath... :biggrin: ...second listen, and it's definitely clicking. I don't think it'll match Playing House, but that's more a testament to the strength of that album than anything else. This one sure sounds like the product of the same band, but for my taste Playing House just hits a little more directly.

That said, there's some wonderful stuff here. The opener, Chains of Changes, is such a perfect lead-in. The orchestral arrangement is incredibly tasteful and inviting. It's poppy and proggy at the same time. Everything through Golden Circle is, well, gold :) Then there's a mid-to-late stretch that's a bit less immediate. Today Tonight Tomorrow is a fantastic song, drum-less for more than half of its length and then finishing up with an amazing crescendo and guitar solo. Instrumentally, it almost gives me JCS' Gethsemane vibes. But then there's a mellow interlude (World of Wonder) and another somber tune (Mother), which lose me a tad. It's all nice sounding, just not as immediately gripping. The last two songs are definitely heftier, though (at times surprisingly "heavy", in terms of how full the sound is).

All in all, I'm getting happier and happier with it.

ariich

I'm loving the new album. Given it a few spins and I think it's my favourite. 

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

RoeDent

An incredible album! Absolutely a step up from Playing House (which is also a brilliant album). Favourite songs are Behave and This Is The End.

twosuitsluke

Quote from: ariich on August 25, 2024, 06:45:01 AMI'm loving the new album. Given it a few spins and I think it's my favourite.
Yea, I wasn't a huge fan of the previous album or anything, but I'm quite liking this new one. I particularly liked the orchestral arrangements on Come to Light. That's probably my favourite song so far, and it gives some City and Colour meets The Dear Hunter vibes.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

HOF

I tried several times with the first album and it didn't click with me, but I put on the new one for my drive in today, and the opening track had me hooked. Went ahead and ordered the CD before it disappears from Amazon. Who knows, maybe it will be a gateway back to getting into the debut!

SoundscapeMN

I've yet to hear the Self-Titled debut from 2016. Anyone else know how it compares to the other 2?

Freeze

Quote from: SoundscapeMN on August 28, 2024, 07:40:05 AMI've yet to hear the Self-Titled debut from 2016. Anyone else know how it compares to the other 2?

The self-titled debut is a little less "rock" than the last two records , but still has some good prog/pop songs. To me the new record is their best yet.

Check out the epic from the first album, "Valentina in the Sky" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPlu2WDkaj4

nick_z

Quote from: HOF on August 28, 2024, 06:52:36 AMI tried several times with the first album and it didn't click with me, but I put on the new one for my drive in today, and the opening track had me hooked. Went ahead and ordered the CD before it disappears from Amazon. Who knows, maybe it will be a gateway back to getting into the debut!

The opening track really draws you in, doesn't it? Such a nice orchestral arrangement.

By "debut" you mean the self-titled? That one is ok, but Playing House (imo) was a gigantic leap forward.

Quote from: SoundscapeMN on August 28, 2024, 07:40:05 AMI've yet to hear the Self-Titled debut from 2016. Anyone else know how it compares to the other 2?

See above :)

HOF

On about my 4th full listen to Wheels Within Wheels and it's really hitting me hard now. These vocal performances are amazing. Both singers (I think it's just row but could be 3 vocalists?), but especially the female voice, not sure I've ever heard a woman sing with that sort of intensity (maybe Janice Joplin, but this is way better).

nick_z

Quote from: HOF on Today at 06:03:25 PMOn about my 4th full listen to Wheels Within Wheels and it's really hitting me hard now. These vocal performances are amazing. Both singers (I think it's just row but could be 3 vocalists?), but especially the female voice, not sure I've ever heard a woman sing with that sort of intensity (maybe Janice Joplin, but this is way better).

Couldn't agree more. Brilliant album - and singing.

It's two main vocalists (brother and sister), but most other members contribute backing vocals.

HOF

Nice. They sound really good together, which makes sense if they are siblings. Come to Life is an amazing duet.