Author Topic: Billy Joel Appreciation  (Read 13237 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Billy Joel Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
Billy Joel is one of those rare artists whose music has this uncanny way of conjuring a visual picture or vignette in my mind.   His music is very much "grounded" in the vagaries of daily life. 

Definitely.  One of the all-time greats for sure.

Anyone on here see the musical Movin' Out that was based on Billy Joel songs?  Very well done, IMO.

No! I really wanted to, too.... It's up there next to Avenue Q in the musicals I need to see
You definitely need to see Avenue Q. Funniest show ever.

I know. The only reason I know of it is because someone showed me the soundtrack. It was AWESOME

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »
It's sort of an odd musical in terms of format because none of the performers sing except the band.  The character performers act out their parts solely in dance format.  It is almost a modern "ballet" set to Billy Joel music, which I know sounds odd to those who haven't seen it.  But it somehow works pretty brilliantly.

Do they recreate the brilliantly awful "Uptown Girl" video?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »
Billy Joel is one of those rare artists whose music has this uncanny way of conjuring a visual picture or vignette in my mind.   His music is very much "grounded" in the vagaries of daily life.  

Definitely.  One of the all-time greats for sure.

Anyone on here see the musical Movin' Out that was based on Billy Joel songs?  Very well done, IMO.

Saw it on Broadway. I love Billy Joel's music and my wife (not as big a fan as I) is a huge fan of the choreographer of that show, so it was a win-win for both of us. I thought the show was just ok, but I thought the band did a decent job with the music. I pop in the original cast recording every now and again...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
It's sort of an odd musical in terms of format because none of the performers sing except the band.  The character performers act out their parts solely in dance format.  It is almost a modern "ballet" set to Billy Joel music, which I know sounds odd to those who haven't seen it.  But it somehow works pretty brilliantly.

Do they recreate the brilliantly awful "Uptown Girl" video?

No.  But they do use the song as part of the storyline.

Billy Joel is one of those rare artists whose music has this uncanny way of conjuring a visual picture or vignette in my mind.   His music is very much "grounded" in the vagaries of daily life. 

Definitely.  One of the all-time greats for sure.

Anyone on here see the musical Movin' Out that was based on Billy Joel songs?  Very well done, IMO.

Saw it on Broadway. I love Billy Joel's music and my wife (not as big a fan as I) is a huge fan of the choreographer of that show, so it was a win-win for both of us. I thought the show was just ok, but I thought the band did a decent job with the music. I pop in the original cast recording every now and again...

I figured you'd probably be a fan, Greg.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
Billy Joel is one of those rare artists whose music has this uncanny way of conjuring a visual picture or vignette in my mind.   His music is very much "grounded" in the vagaries of daily life.  
This is the biggest reason I enjoy his music.  I can almost feel what it was like to grow up in that generation, especially with references that are so familiar to people who live in the NY area combined with stories from my parents, etc.  And I always get goose bumps listening to "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
 (I still have vague memories of being in elementary school when "We Didn't Start the Fire" came out

Man, now I feel really old.  :lol

Yeah, native Long Islander here. Been a fan of Billy's pretty much my entire music appreciating life. Great songwriter, good voice, great musician. And man, his songs really hit home for most Long Islanders. Always something about home in most of the tunes.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
(I still have vague memories of being in elementary school when "We Didn't Start the Fire" came out

FYI - I'm a couple of months away from 28.

That's how long ago "We Didn't Start the Fire" came out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »
If I had to make a Billy Joel top 10, these songs would make the cut (in no particular order):

"Allentown"
"Prelude/Angry Young Man"
"Captain Jack"
"Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"
"The Downeaster 'Alexa'"
"The Stranger"
"Uptown Girl"
"The Entertainer"
"Piano Man" (awesome song, no matter how many times I hear it)
"New York State of Mind"
Great list, no doubt, but for me "Good Night Saigon" has to make the cut.  I guess I would eliminate...well, I don't know.

I also am a sucker for "She's Got A Way."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
My top 10...
1. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
2. Captain Jack
3. Miami 2017
4. The Ballad of Billy the Kid
5. The Great Suburban Showdown
6. Vienna
7. Stiletto
8. Movin Out
9. Shes Got A Way
10. Angry Young Man

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »

FYI - I'm a couple of months away from 28.

That's how long ago "We Didn't Start the Fire" came out.

I can always count on you to make me feel better, Zepp.  :lol

Not sure I could do a numbered order of favorite Billy songs, but here are a few:

Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)
Downeaster Alexa
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Angry Young Man
She's Got a Way
Vienna
Captain Jack
Goodnight Saigon
Piano Man
New York State of Mind
A Matter of Trust
You May Be Right
Don't Ask Me Why
An Innocent Man
Allentown
All About Soul
The Ballad of Billy the Kid
Summer Highland Falls
Say Goodbye to Hollywood
I've Loved These Days
State of Grace
Lenningrad

A little more than 20. That's from a casual look at all the albums (I have all the CDs [and most of the LPs] - and have them also on the iPod). A few other favorites too, but these were the ones that stood out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »
I couldn't possibly do a top 10.  Too many good tunes.  Which reminds me, the Billy Joel section of my CD collection is sorely lacking.  I need to correct this situation in the not-too-distant future.

I think my favorite album has to be Glass Houses.  Yes, it is among the most commercial.  But the songs on it are just so good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »
I couldn't possibly do a top 10.  Too many good tunes.  Which reminds me, the Billy Joel section of my CD collection is sorely lacking.  I need to correct this situation in the not-too-distant future.

I think my favorite album has to be Glass Houses.  Yes, it is among the most commercial.  But the songs on it are just so good.

That's twice today I will say you needs to be flogged.

I detect a used CD run in our future. Time to get you caught up.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
Yeah.  You know, I had a few albums on cassette way back when, but never got around to replacing them on CD.  The only thing I've currently got is the greatest hits set.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
Downeaster Alexa

One of my all-time favorite songs by any artist.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
Huh, I never liked that song that much. My BJ collection is also sorely lacking, I only have Glass Houses on LP!  :o My ex got me "into" him but husband doesn't really like him...I'm gonna buy a dvd with one of his awesome live shows and see if that doesn't rectify that!

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »
Oh, and like bosk1 and ShadowWalker, I have seen "Movin' Out" as well. Not really my thing, musicals like that. But the band playing the songs...just WOW.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

I need to do a CD upgrade on Glass House myself. I've been babying my vinyl copy for a while now.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
Speaking about "Movin' Out" (the song), I personally think it's probably my least favorite of his "best" songs

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010, 11:44:07 AM »

Don't feel too bad. My collection is probably just as lacking as far as studio releases go. But I probably make up for it by owning three box sets -- The Stranger anniversary release (Best Buy version with bonus CD), My Lives and the 4CD greatest hits collection -- as well as all official live releases on CD...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
Yeah, you've probably got the vast majority of it covered, I'd say.  I also just realized this morning that I have River of Dreams as well.  Funny thing is, I don't recall a single song from it, and I have no idea where or when I got it.  :lol

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »
Downeaster Alexa

Agree. I used to have a live version that came from a promo CD. My cassette copy of that CD was stolen :(  I have never been able to find that version anywhere, which is a shame because it was even more emotionally powerful than the original studio track...

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
Downeaster Alexa

Definitely. I was so stoked to see it live when I saw him in 2006

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
Downeaster Alexa

Agreed, and if you are from Long Island with any friends or family that are in the business, the lyrical content really hits home.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »
bump because i really fucking love Billy Joel right now

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »
Agreed.  Billy Joel is awesome!  And he's second on my Last.fm with 1,222 plays.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:04 AM »
Downeaster Alexa

Agreed, and if you are from Long Island with any friends or family that are in the business, the lyrical content really hits home.

This song is a very powerful song.  I don't live anywhere near Long Island, but just listening to the song leaves a strong impression of what it must be like.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
I grew up with the old Billy Joel 70's albums, and they were amazing.  The Stranger, 52nd Street, Piano Man, etc.

What astounds me is how many hits he's had, and how many albums he's had over the years, but when you dig into the albums, you still find the gems.  30something years and hundreds of quality songs.  The guy's a genius.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
So I just recently found out that one of my good friends is the daughter of the "Mr. Cacciatore" referenced in "Movin' Out".  Her last name is Cacciatore, and it always made me think of the song, but I had never actually mentioned it to her because I just assumed it was a coincidence.  But apparently he went to high school with BJ and used to be a bartender at one of the bars he regularly played at back in the day, which is how he ended up in the song.

Must be pretty cool to hear your name in such a huge song...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
That's pretty sweet. :tup

Also: is she hot?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
*appreciates and hails*

As a Long Islander, you can't help but run into Billy here and there. I have seen him perform live...four or five times now, always a treat. But the coolest time I saw him was on the street.

I was working for my buddy one summer at his liquor store in the West Hampton Beach. Was out on a delivery for one of the house down on the water, and low and behold I run into him and his daughter (this was when she was young) walking down the street to the car. I say hello, wish him the best and tell him to have a great day. Just real relaxed. Nice guy having an ice cream cone with his kid.

ANyway, the last time I saw him live was a couple of years ago. First time outside of New York. So as I am singing the tunes, where he typically changes the lyrics to Long Island landmarks, he instead sang the regular version, so I felt like an ass. ha ha ha ha. But good fun.

The most intimate show I saw him at was at a high school auditorium for an environmental benefit in the Hamptons. It was him, his piano, an literally a high school auditorium filled with various folks. Very low key and cool. Christie Brinkley was there, as was Chevy Chase. I sat a row away from Chevy. Just beyond cool.

Billy has said he's done mostly writing lyrics, but I hope one day he does another traditional rock album. Been WAY too long.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
His "modern classical" piano album isn't too bad.  I listen to it sometimes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
Favorite video? 

Gotta be "Uptown Girl" for me.  Featuring the lovely Christie Brinkley :hat, it is just a fun video to watch.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »
Also: is she hot?

Yessir indeed.  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »
Good to know.  I'll never meet her, and would never have a chance, but somehow it's comforting to know that there's one more Italian babe out there who's indeed hot.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:40 AM »
I wish I knew some famous people :(