Author Topic: Official DTF Photography Thread  (Read 145630 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Official DTF Photography Thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 04, 2022, 12:21:09 PM »
I went mirrorless when I bought my first camera, but that was Micro43 which is a comparatively niche format. I find it a super system to use though, as I can carry my entire setup in a single over shoulder bag.
This, the system is so small and lightweight, so comfy for traveling. And cheaper than larger formats!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1261 on: July 12, 2022, 09:55:47 AM »
Should come as no surprise but it looks like Nikon is going to stop making entry level and mid level DSLRs to focus on mirrorless cameras.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204975/nikon-dslr-slr-cameras-stop-report-mirrorless
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1262 on: July 24, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »
Attempted to take some pictures yesterday, but clouds were not cooperating. I like the angle of this one, but the Milky way was supposed to be in the background  :lol that was a test shot but I ended up giving up before trying again.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: August 13, 2022, 04:57:41 PM »
I've just redesigned my photography website, and I'm very content with it: lucasleonardo.com.ar

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1265 on: August 14, 2022, 01:09:26 PM »

Photo I took of the City of London from the Thames last night, plus some new presets I wanted to bugger about with.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1266 on: January 10, 2023, 04:26:20 PM »
Resurrecting this thread as I have been tinkering a bit more with low light photography and I think I finally have a good feel for how my camera operates. Took this one while in london.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1267 on: January 11, 2023, 06:27:00 AM »
Resurrecting this thread as I have been tinkering a bit more with low light photography and I think I finally have a good feel for how my camera operates. Took this one while in london.

Pretty good picture there. Have you played around with raising the mid-tone and black level a touch? Funny enough, I currently live an hour away from London, and I visit there once every a couple of months or so; yet I have yet to visit the Tower Bridge area or the east side of the city.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: January 11, 2023, 06:52:08 AM »
Really nice picture there. I guess you're using a camera stand to be able to photograph in the dark. What's the exposure time?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1269 on: January 11, 2023, 06:56:19 AM »
Really nice picture there. I guess you're using a camera stand to be able to photograph in the dark. What's the exposure time?
Yeah, interesting in the setting used for that pic. Looks great  :tup

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1270 on: January 11, 2023, 08:38:01 AM »

Yeah, this is a tripod picture. 1/2 s exposure, 400 ISO. Handheld is okay if you use 3200 or higher but you definitely notice the noise at those sensitivity settings.

This is from the same night, but handheld at 6400 ISO, 1/40s.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1271 on: January 11, 2023, 09:58:55 AM »
Very cool shots, I miss London. Didn't go around in the night too much in Central London when I lived there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1272 on: January 11, 2023, 03:01:24 PM »

Looks like the theme is London at night, huh? Here we go, Buckingham Palace.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: January 14, 2023, 07:16:15 AM »
I've been playing around with half frame cameras for a bit, and been loving the format. Here are some highlights:

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1274 on: January 14, 2023, 09:40:11 AM »
Took a trip to the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota, and the Devil's Tower area of northeastern Wyoming a couple of weeks ago.

Badlands National Park sunset pano by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Sunset glow on the Badlands by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Along the edge of Spearfish Creek in northwest South Dakota by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Devil's Tower night by Mark Curtis, on Flickr

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1275 on: March 21, 2023, 01:40:14 PM »
DPReview.com is closing shop for good. Both the site and the channel. Don't know if anyone here reads their reviews or watches the youtube channel,  they were my go to site and channel for all things gear related. Had no idea Amazon owned them and cut them as part of their large shedding of jobs. This really sucks.
Dear readers,

After nearly 25 years of operation, DPReview will be closing in the near future. This difficult decision is part of the annual operating plan review that our parent company shared earlier this year.

The site will remain active until April 10, and the editorial team is still working on reviews and looking forward to delivering some of our best-ever content.

Everyone on our staff was a reader and fan of DPReview before working here, and we’re grateful for the communities that formed around the site.

Thank you for your support over the years, and we hope you’ll join us in the coming weeks as we celebrate this journey.

Sincerely,

Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1276 on: March 23, 2023, 10:27:08 AM »
DPReview.com is closing shop for good. Both the site and the channel. Don't know if anyone here reads their reviews or watches the youtube channel,  they were my go to site and channel for all things gear related. Had no idea Amazon owned them and cut them as part of their large shedding of jobs. This really sucks.
Dear readers,

After nearly 25 years of operation, DPReview will be closing in the near future. This difficult decision is part of the annual operating plan review that our parent company shared earlier this year.

The site will remain active until April 10, and the editorial team is still working on reviews and looking forward to delivering some of our best-ever content.

Everyone on our staff was a reader and fan of DPReview before working here, and we’re grateful for the communities that formed around the site.

Thank you for your support over the years, and we hope you’ll join us in the coming weeks as we celebrate this journey.

Sincerely,

Scott Everett
General Manager - DPReview.com

Wasn't that the site with the comparometer? Loved putting cameras up against each other to see the difference in image quality. Yeah, that sucks. I don't think Amazon would have a CLUE how important that site is to some people.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1277 on: March 23, 2023, 01:00:57 PM »
Yup that tool rules
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison

Their forums were also fantastic to learn the nuances on basically anything.

I know people are archiving the site, but it won't be the same.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1278 on: April 24, 2023, 12:34:01 PM »
I wasn’t sure where I should post this, but this thread seemed the most appropriate. My friend made himself leather armor for the ren faire, then I made him look even cooler (if that’s possible).

https://youtu.be/Co6608wYVeA

Edit: my GIMP skills are noobish, so there’s probably a better/easier way to accomplish what I did. I’m still happy with the end result, though.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1279 on: August 30, 2023, 07:54:36 AM »
Some night photography from my recent Japan/Korea trip.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: August 30, 2023, 08:05:27 AM »
Looks awesome, like something out of cyber punk too for those last few.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1281 on: August 30, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
That's the aesthetic I was aiming for. Plus the cyberpunk aesthetic codified in films like bladerunner was derived from Japanese cities since the genre incorporated fears of Japan's (at the time) economic dominance, so in that respect, Japan looks cyberpunk by definition.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1282 on: August 30, 2023, 08:50:29 AM »
Really like those last two shots  :tup

What was the exposure for the 3rd shot?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1283 on: August 30, 2023, 09:00:07 AM »
25 s at 200 ISO with an ND around the 100-400 mark (its a variable dual polarizer ND so not sure of the exact numbers).

I was shooting through a glass window which wasn't ideal, hence the spurious reflections of the building behind me at the top of the photo if you look carefully. :P Mainly I just wanted to practice with the ND as I only bought it recently.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1284 on: August 30, 2023, 09:06:39 AM »
Nice shots! I did consider getting an ND filter, though I don't shoot much outdoor to justify one. I did get a Moment Cinebloom filter which gives a hue to the exposure, like a cinematic look.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1285 on: August 30, 2023, 09:12:12 AM »
Nice

I mainly do night-sky photography, and just recently started experimenting with star-trails (did a few 10 minute exposures at different ISO). I want to try night time images of cities as well, but just never done it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1286 on: August 30, 2023, 10:43:54 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to try some sky photography at some point. Given I live in Sweden shouldn't be too hard to find an area free of light polution.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: August 30, 2023, 10:47:13 AM »
Yeah, I'd like to try some sky photography at some point. Given I live in Sweden shouldn't be too hard to find an area free of light polution.

Tonight would be a good night, a blue moon.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1288 on: August 30, 2023, 10:50:17 AM »

Ah, but you forget that it is the middle of summer in Sweden, and therefore absolutely terrible weather. :P

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: August 30, 2023, 10:55:55 AM »

Ah, but you forget that it is the middle of summer in Sweden, and therefore absolutely terrible weather. :P

I wouldn't of known that.  It's cloudy here in Germany, but I'm hoping to get a view.  Sadly my camera died a couple weeks ago, so I won't be able to get a good picutre (if I can even see it).  Somehow, someway, I will have seen a full moon in Singapore, Aruba, and Frankfurt this year.  I have pictures of the first two, maybe my phone can get something (the night mode can work OK, obviously not as good as my 30x optical zoom from my "concert camera")

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1290 on: August 30, 2023, 11:02:07 AM »
I was hoping to capture the super moon earlier this month but had poor weather that night. Well today would've been a good day but am dealing with the remnants of Hurrican Idalia so don't think I'll get a clear sky today either.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: August 30, 2023, 07:42:30 PM »
Lately I've been going back to taking pics after a bit of a hiatus, and it's been great so far. Here are some recent highlights:

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1292 on: August 30, 2023, 08:32:40 PM »
Those look great! The ones with the cars looks like it was taken in the 70s or 80s. Were those taken by the analog camera that you have? Or am I mixing you up with someone else.

Well the hurricane didn't pass that close to us and left in a hurry giving clear skies and I was able to capture the super moon today with my 300mm.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: August 31, 2023, 04:32:40 AM »
Much much better picture than I was able to get.  I was about to go to sleep thinking no shot of seeing the moon as it was cloudy when I checked earlier, but I looked out the window and it was pretty bright so I went back outside and saw the moon in all its glory. For some reason, being able to see this made me pretty happy.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1294 on: August 31, 2023, 06:30:35 AM »
Much much better picture than I was able to get.  I was about to go to sleep thinking no shot of seeing the moon as it was cloudy when I checked earlier, but I looked out the window and it was pretty bright so I went back outside and saw the moon in all its glory. For some reason, being able to see this made me pretty happy.

Seriously, every time I see the full moon is an instant mood booster.

I would think it is a bit out of your way, but if you ever want to catch a great moon rise over NYC, check out Eagle Rock Observation Deck. https://goo.gl/maps/yCSgD6Yd4rJ99UPG7