Author Topic: Official DTF Photography Thread  (Read 144089 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Official DTF Photography Thread
« Reply #1225 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:03 AM »
Did you developed the film yourself or took it to a studio? That's a nice shot.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1226 on: January 13, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »
Developed and scanned at a local lab, one day I'll be able to afford the chemicals and a scanner :P . Thanks! Here's another shot where you can see the whole boat.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:44:02 AM by Sacul »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1227 on: May 21, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »
Bumping this thread, because I started going over some of my old holiday photos from 2019 and made an effort to learn image editing and balancing with them, and I've made a few I'm quite pleased with.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1228 on: May 21, 2021, 12:45:52 PM »
I'm a sucker for those blade runner looking pictures, love those shots. What's the gear you used? Lens? camera? settings?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1229 on: May 21, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »
Camera was a Panasonic GX80, and most of these were taken with the kit lens:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/panasonic/12-32mm-f3.5-5.6-asph-mega-ois-lumix-g-vario/review/

F-numbers were around F/4.5 to F/5.0, and I since I'm by no means an expert I shot on aperture priority and adjusted exposure time if the signs looked like they were over exposed. I wouldn't ask my advice on camera settings though, I am very much a person who just wings it at the time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:00:17 PM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1230 on: May 21, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
I'm the same though I do use Manual mode all the time and keep adjusting the aperture during shots on my Nikon D5200.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: May 21, 2021, 02:44:46 PM »
Where is this, Japan?  I also like the look of these, reminds me of my cyberpunk playthrough. The lights and colors look really cool.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1232 on: May 21, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
Top four are Japan (Tokyo and Kagoshima) and the bottom two are Taipei, Taiwan.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1233 on: September 02, 2021, 05:16:33 AM »
I recently discovered reverse mounts are a thing. You basically put your lens in the opposite direction and use a reverse ring to attach the lens to the body of your camera. I watched this video and bought this $8 52 mm reverse ring for my lens.

This now makes your regular lens a macrolens and if you're into macro photography it's a lot of fun.

I tried it out and took some shots and they do look very cool.

This is a closeup of my lens cover

These are a closeup of an old video card I had lying around

These are taken from a vintage 50 mm 1.4 lens on a reverse mount.

This is how it looks after mounting the lens on a reverse ring

On a side note. I upgraded my D5200 to a D7500. Best Buy had a price mistake on the D7500 and it was half the price, couldn't resist.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1234 on: September 02, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
That's a super neat idea. May well invest in one of those to have a mess about with.

I'm continuing to experiment with lightroom, and starting to get more of a feel for colour grading and manual retouching.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1235 on: September 02, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »
These are great, love the colors and look. I need to get into Lightroom in more detail.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1236 on: September 05, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
Anyone have any experience with gimbals?

I want to get one for my iPhone and also maybe for my Canon 90D but dunno much about them.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1237 on: September 06, 2021, 08:17:09 AM »
I have been looking out for a cheap gimbal but have unable to find a decent priced one. The good ones all seem to be in the $200 and above range which I'm not sure I want to spend for a part time hobby. Seem to be the case that the Nikon crop sensor cameras are poorly supported.

I was possibly looking to get the DJI Ronin-SC but need to do more research. For phones there appear to be a lot of options, just haven't spent time looking into it at length.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1238 on: September 06, 2021, 11:33:44 AM »
No experience I'm afraid. I rarely if ever do video and my kit is designed almost entirely around portability.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: September 06, 2021, 03:00:46 PM »
Those are great pics! Love the colors.

By the way, for the past year and a half I've been deeply into photography, mostly with film. I've ended up with a lot of pictures but a relatively small portfolio which I'm quite proud of.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1240 on: September 06, 2021, 03:48:57 PM »
Those are done on film? Awesome. I have so much respect for photographers who can work with film so well. I'd be nowhere without an undo button.  Love the Redscale series.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1241 on: September 06, 2021, 03:53:14 PM »
Only just popped into this thread and hugely impressed with all the work on and referenced on this page.  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1242 on: September 06, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »
Speaking of photography, I went out on Saturday to do some night sky photography. I got a good 2 hours of clear skies and then clouds started coming in. I was having a hard time with focus, for some reason the camera kept getting out of focus with the stars (manual focus). Regardless, I got a few good shots that I need to work on a bit more, but here are 2 I took with my phone.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1243 on: September 06, 2021, 06:00:52 PM »

By the way, for the past year and a half I've been deeply into photography, mostly with film. I've ended up with a lot of pictures but a relatively small portfolio which I'm quite proud of.

Those are awesome. I would love to delve into those. I actually have a Nikon F3 camera that belonged to my father in law. I've been meaning to get a roll of film and experiment on it.

Speaking of photography, I went out on Saturday to do some night sky photography. I got a good 2 hours of clear skies and then clouds started coming in. I was having a hard time with focus, for some reason the camera kept getting out of focus with the stars (manual focus). Regardless, I got a few good shots that I need to work on a bit more, but here are 2 I took with my phone.

Nice! I love taking night sky pictures, I took some a while back but they came out crap. I will do it again one of these days when I get a chance with my new camera setup.
What phone did you take that with, those are really good shots for a phone.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1244 on: September 06, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »
What phone did you take that with, those are really good shots for a phone.

Google Pixel 5, it has an Astrophotography feature integrated with night mode. It pretty much takes a long exposure (how long the exposure depends on darkness and how many objects is picking up, the last image was almost 4 minutes) and creates a short time lapse and one final image.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:33:43 AM by Vmadera00 »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1245 on: September 06, 2021, 06:48:36 PM »
Awesome. I forgot some phones have an astrophotography mode now.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1246 on: September 07, 2021, 06:29:45 AM »

Been meaning to ask, what camera and film are you using for your shots?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1247 on: September 07, 2021, 07:27:29 AM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1248 on: September 07, 2021, 07:51:59 AM »
Some of you camera guys might get a real kick out of this.
https://old.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/pjkusn/how_epic_shots_for_ads_are_created/

That was indeed cool and already had some idea of how those shots are set up, but using robots for some of them was like really next fucking level.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: September 07, 2021, 08:06:36 PM »
Those are done on film? Awesome. I have so much respect for photographers who can work with film so well. I'd be nowhere without an undo button.  Love the Redscale series.
Thanks! Most of them are on film, with a few on digital.

Those are awesome. I would love to delve into those. I actually have a Nikon F3 camera that belonged to my father in law. I've been meaning to get a roll of film and experiment on it.
That's a great piece of kit, give it a try!

Been meaning to ask, what camera and film are you using for your shots?
Mostly used an Olympus OM-2n (which is now broken) and a Canon 1000FN. These days I mostly shoot with an Olympus OM-1 paired with either the 28mm f2.8 or the 50mm Macro f3.5. As for film, I've tried lots of different stocks, some new and some expired (if you're curious about a particular shot just ask!). My go-to films are Fomapan 200 for black and white (wished I could afford HP5), and whatever stock I have when I rarely shoot in color, though I've really been meaning on trying out Ektar 100 and Lomochrome Purple.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1250 on: September 08, 2021, 03:39:01 AM »
Some of you camera guys might get a real kick out of this.
https://old.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/pjkusn/how_epic_shots_for_ads_are_created/

There's an entire subreddit for that kind of thing if you are interested!

https://www.reddit.com/r/behindthephoto/

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1251 on: September 08, 2021, 05:42:14 AM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1252 on: September 08, 2021, 06:12:41 AM »
Very cood sub. Thanks for the rec. There's some very neat ideas in there.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1253 on: September 12, 2021, 07:45:15 PM »
I have been looking out for a cheap gimbal but have unable to find a decent priced one. The good ones all seem to be in the $200 and above range which I'm not sure I want to spend for a part time hobby. Seem to be the case that the Nikon crop sensor cameras are poorly supported.

I was possibly looking to get the DJI Ronin-SC but need to do more research. For phones there appear to be a lot of options, just haven't spent time looking into it at length.

People seem to like the DJI Osmo ones.

Osmo Mobile 3: https://www.dji.com/ca/osmo-mobile-3?site=brandsite&from=nav (probably aka OM3)

OM 4: https://www.dji.com/ca/om-4?site=brandsite&from=nav

OM 5: https://www.dji.com/ca/om-5?site=brandsite&from=nav

Comparison: https://www.dji.com/ca/products/comparison-om?site=brandsite&from=nav

The 5 is definitely the lightest.  I'd better also make sure my phone isn't too heavy or large for them as I just noticed that part on the comparison page.

No experience I'm afraid. I rarely if ever do video and my kit is designed almost entirely around portability.

I'm just looking for something I can use my iPhone to film my daughter with and not have to lug around my DSLR gear.  I think for about $120 it's worth giving a try.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1254 on: September 13, 2021, 08:05:39 AM »
I'm just looking for something I can use my iPhone to film my daughter with and not have to lug around my DSLR gear.  I think for about $120 it's worth giving a try.

Sure, wasn't trying to put you off if that wasn't clear, just that I couldn't help. :P

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1255 on: December 03, 2021, 07:14:45 AM »
I wasn't sure whether to post in this thread or the elsewhere, but any of you ever try your hand at photo restoration? I was looking through some old pictures with my mom the other day and she pulled one of her favorites out of my grandfather. It was taken at the bar in a restaurant he owned back in the 60s. I've messed around in photoshop before and recently bought a license, so I took a crack at fixing it up.

Any advice on how to better change the lighting/tone/contrast (sorry if I'm butchering the terms)? Something about it seems off. I did some mirror trickery with the bar as well that's a bit too obvious  :lol Guaranteed my mom won't notice though.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1256 on: December 03, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
I wasn't sure whether to post in this thread or the elsewhere, but any of you ever try your hand at photo restoration? I was looking through some old pictures with my mom the other day and she pulled one of her favorites out of my grandfather. It was taken at the bar in a restaurant he owned back in the 60s. I've messed around in photoshop before and recently bought a license, so I took a crack at fixing it up.

Any advice on how to better change the lighting/tone/contrast (sorry if I'm butchering the terms)? Something about it seems off. I did some mirror trickery with the bar as well that's a bit too obvious  :lol Guaranteed my mom won't notice though.

Honestly, there are very few old photos that are purely black and white. Try changing the colour grading a bit and making the blacks/whites a bit less harsh.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1257 on: June 28, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »
Moving the gear discussion here...

CCD I'm debating going the same route and getting a mirrorless set. I might get a used mirrorless camera to dip my fingers into that world and see how it plays out. If I like it I'll just get rid of the Nikon though I really like my lenses. I feel like I'm missing out on excellent 4k video features and while the D7500 takes great 4k video, the autofocus sucks, it's auto cropped by 1/3 and has barely any stabilization. I find myself taking more and more videos of the kids and wished the camera would take capture better video.

The clincher for me was that I do a lot of hiking/biking.....so both volume and weight GREATLY favors the mirrorless bodies/lenses. And what I discovered in the process (spent a $100 on a cheap Sony mirrorless the NEX C3 to experiment).....I was getting the same quality shots from the mirrorless bodies/lenses as I was the DSLR's.

Been catching up on the various A6000 models. If I had to get one I would go for the A6400. It looks like it's exactly what I want. But I might not make the move for a while. My sole purpose for switching to the Sony A mirrorless would be for 4k video and its 425 autofocus points (as opposed to the 52 in my Nikon). From what I've learned so far their autofocus is by far the best and most accurate. I didn't really get my DSLR for video, I always viewed it as a perk and the D7500 does take amazing videos, it's just handicapped in some areas. The Sony would more than makeup for those, I just have to think if it's a switch I want to do anytime soon. The autofocus doesn't bother me as much on my Nikon as much as the stabilization does.

Bizarre thing is that none of the A6000s seems to be available online, which has kinda driven up the price of used ones by a lot.

I get you about the weight, everything adds up and it makes it really heavy. It's why I've now got two bags, one for the full gear and a small pouch for just the camera and one extra lens should I need it. I've been also entertaining the idea of getting a GoPro at some point. Not sure of the use I'd get out of it just yet.

Yeah mirrorless are good cameras, and probably what my next purchase will be whenever I decide to upgrade.

I have a Canon T7i with 18-55mm lens and a 24mm f/2.8 lens. The 18-55 I use for daytime photography while the 24mm I used for night sky. Every so often I mount the camera to a travel scope (70mm) if I want to shoot the moon or a wide area in the sky. Then I have a ZWO ASI224 for deep sky imaging (still learning how to use this one).

When using the travel scope for imaging, I use the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer tracking mount.

I'm very curious about this sky imaging camera. The T7i looks to be the equivalent of my D7500 apart from video. I've always been curious why Canon has a different naming scheme for different regions. I had to look it up and the T7i is called the 800D in other places.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 09:35:54 AM by faizoff »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1258 on: June 28, 2022, 10:33:28 AM »
I went mirrorless when I bought my first camera, but that was Micro43 which is a comparatively niche format. I find it a super system to use though, as I can carry my entire setup in a single over shoulder bag.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1259 on: June 29, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »
Moving the gear discussion here...

CCD I'm debating going the same route and getting a mirrorless set. I might get a used mirrorless camera to dip my fingers into that world and see how it plays out. If I like it I'll just get rid of the Nikon though I really like my lenses. I feel like I'm missing out on excellent 4k video features and while the D7500 takes great 4k video, the autofocus sucks, it's auto cropped by 1/3 and has barely any stabilization. I find myself taking more and more videos of the kids and wished the camera would take capture better video.

The clincher for me was that I do a lot of hiking/biking.....so both volume and weight GREATLY favors the mirrorless bodies/lenses. And what I discovered in the process (spent a $100 on a cheap Sony mirrorless the NEX C3 to experiment).....I was getting the same quality shots from the mirrorless bodies/lenses as I was the DSLR's.

Been catching up on the various A6000 models. If I had to get one I would go for the A6400. It looks like it's exactly what I want. But I might not make the move for a while. My sole purpose for switching to the Sony A mirrorless would be for 4k video and its 425 autofocus points (as opposed to the 52 in my Nikon). From what I've learned so far their autofocus is by far the best and most accurate. I didn't really get my DSLR for video, I always viewed it as a perk and the D7500 does take amazing videos, it's just handicapped in some areas. The Sony would more than makeup for those, I just have to think if it's a switch I want to do anytime soon. The autofocus doesn't bother me as much on my Nikon as much as the stabilization does.

Bizarre thing is that none of the A6000s seems to be available online, which has kinda driven up the price of used ones by a lot.

I get you about the weight, everything adds up and it makes it really heavy. It's why I've now got two bags, one for the full gear and a small pouch for just the camera and one extra lens should I need it. I've been also entertaining the idea of getting a GoPro at some point. Not sure of the use I'd get out of it just yet.

The Sony mirrorless are SO GOOD....you won't be disappointed. They are one of the best values in cameras.