Author Topic: LudwigVan's Forgotten Bands thread  (Read 5913 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: LudwigVan's Forgotten Bands thread
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
Hell to the motherfucking yes!!!!  Thunder Seven was my first Triumph show.  I don't think I slept for a week after that one.  Also saw Ric Emmit solo at a 500 person club in Oakland a few years later, with only his microphone blocking my view.  All Triumph songs he played acoustic and solo.  Totally kick ass!!!

Offline Basekick

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »
I would post a lot of stuff here, but I already devoted a thread to all my forgotten bands (or unheard of modern bands) here:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7969.0

Oh, and Lucifer's Friend and Blackfoot are awesome  :tup
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »
Next up is Wishbone Ash, one of the first bands to introduce the twin-lead guitar attack.  This band was a HUGE influence on Iron Maiden.  I think one of the biggest things that held these guys back was the lack of a distinct lead vocalist.  Great stuff, nevertheless.

This tune is called Warrior from their 3rd album, Argus .  Listen for all the riff/solo stylings that were eventually adopted by the great Iron Maiden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg6zqejXvqI

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »
One of the first-ever 'power trios' is a band called Budgie from the early/mid seventies.  Riff-oriented band that has some touches of Sabbath and Zeppelin.   The look and vibe of the bassist/singer Burke Shelley also reminds me of Geddy Lee.   Here's their tune Breadfan.  Check out the smirk on the guitarist Tony Bourge's face.. it's like he's saying "check out this riff!".   I also love the mellow section in the middle at the 3:00 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg

Just for fun, here's Metallica's cover of Breadfan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM34tEG3bOo&feature=related

Saw them do "Breadfan" (Metallica) back in December. It was a great version.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »
Next up is Wishbone Ash, one of the first bands to introduce the twin-lead guitar attack.  This band was a HUGE influence on Iron Maiden.  I think one of the biggest things that held these guys back was the lack of a distinct lead vocalist.  Great stuff, nevertheless.

This tune is called Warrior from their 3rd album, Argus .  Listen for all the riff/solo stylings that were eventually adopted by the great Iron Maiden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg6zqejXvqI

That lead guitarists sound had that Peter Frampton sound.  It reminds me of Lines on my face.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »
Here's some;

Ark - Led by the amazing Jorn Lande.  Their last album Burn the Sun is easily one of the best prog metal albums ever!  RIP Ark.

Beyond Twilight - Another Jorn led band, check out the vocals on the song Crying

Blue Murder - John Sykes rips it up the great impressive debut album.  Great 80's rock.

Crimson Glory - Underrated as hell if you ask me.  RIP Midnight.  Transcendence is gold.

Communic - Great Prog metal.

Danger Danger - Check out the new album is you enjoy melodic rock, it's amazing!

Doctor Butcher - Amazing work from Jon Oliva and Chris Caffery.

Eidolon - Great power/thrash metal from the Drover brothers.

Giuntini - Great guitarist.

Illwill - Amazing one off album with Andy LaRocque and Snowy Shaw

Magnitude 9 - Decoding the Soul is a fantastic album.

Sieges Even - Amazing prog

Threshold - Again, amazing prog

Talisman - Great melodic hard rock.  Featuring JSS and Marcel Jacob, also Fredrick from Opeth.

Y&T - Criminally underrated
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 01:16:37 AM »
A late 80's prog rock band called, World Trade.  Fronted by Billy Sherwood of Yes fame.  I love their 2 albums and this song is the last song on the first album. It's called, "Open the Door".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScTpapFxAIQ

I really liked that song. Not quite like anything I've heard before except for the slight Yes aftertaste  :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »
A late 80's prog rock band called, World Trade.  Fronted by Billy Sherwood of Yes fame.  I love their 2 albums and this song is the last song on the first album. It's called, "Open the Door".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScTpapFxAIQ

I really liked that song. Not quite like anything I've heard before except for the slight Yes aftertaste  :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Been awhile since I've posted in here, but here's my new forgotten band: the Scorpions.  The Scorps you say?!?  No, I'm not referring to that well-known 80's entity famous for No One Like You, Rock You Like a Hurricane,  Still Loving You, etc, but the Scorpions of the early - mid 1970s

TAC had been trying to convince me of the merits of this band, but for all the excellent musicianship, I couldn't stomach the plethora of syrupy ballads and cheesy lyrics about getting laid.  And those album covers.... ugh!  Then I happened to come across this live vid of the Scorpions from 1973.  I freaking love it!  The look and feel of the band/music in this video could have come right out of hippie Woodstock!  The music is quite improvisational and groovy, especially that rhythm section, which sounds very 60's-ish.  And of course, there's no black and yellow spandex  :P

It's a tune called "This Is My Song" from their 2nd album Fly To The Rainbow.  Gotta love Uli Jon Roth.  I'm now in the process of digging 70's Scorpions   :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojx1znP0CAQ
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
Listening to a forgotten band right now.  Tesla.  Back in the days of overhyped hair metal bands, they kept it real and kicked fucking ass. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 01:08:37 PM »
LudwigVan...See..Roth era Scorps is very cool.
Here's Speedy's Coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTC8t_o8kXc&feature=related
"You like Alice Cooper...."

But their best track was easily We'll Burn The Sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FooVYyKRxE0

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. The audio is kind of warped, but youtube the Tokyo Tapes version. It's absolutely stellar!

Listening to a forgotten band right now.  Tesla.  Back in the days of overhyped hair metal bands, they kept it real and kicked fucking ass. 

I'm with you on Tesla, but there's a lot of Tesla fans here. I don't think they're really that forgoten, but certainly underappreciated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Early Scorpions was cool. I like their 70s albums like Taken By Force and Virgin Killer. Tokyo Tapes is a killer live album too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »

They still do kick ass.   :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
Thanks TAC for bringing this thread back to life. I would probably never have heard of some of this great bands!!!

I want to share something with you all. I haven't seen talk about this band here. Iluvatar. Only 4 records during the 90s. Technically they are still together but have been paying more attention to their side projects and haven't released anything for more than 10 years.

Here is In The Eye, my favorite song from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXWOkLxMwe0

Enjoy.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
That's real interesting stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 10:53:09 AM »
Wow Nekov.  I've never heard of them and that was a cool song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
Wow Nekov.  I've never heard of them and that was a cool song.
That's real interesting stuff.

I'm glad you liked it.  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.