Author Topic: LudwigVan's Forgotten Bands thread  (Read 5914 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
LudwigVan's Forgotten Bands thread
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »
Sorta like GuitarCozmo's recommendations thread except I'll be focusing on bands that have fell under the radar. 

Feel free to post bands for which you feel the same: stuff that has gone unnoticed in the minds of the general public and deserve to be put back on the map.

My first band is one that TAC actually turned me onto, a band with the rather unfortunate name of Lucifer's Friend.   This shit is heavy as F&ck and even a bit proggy, very reminiscent of early Sabbath and Deep Purple, even by their looks.  They're a german band fronted by an English vocalist by the name of John Lawton.  They made some really heavy/proggy albums in their career.

Ride In The Sky.  Check it out... heaviest French horn ever!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DpOdf-_yM
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: LudwigVan's Forgotten Bands thread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:34:02 PM »
that was cool stuff, LV, thanks

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:48:46 PM »
Yeah that was cool. The thing I love most about this sort of music aren't even the guitars. It's the heavy, pounding and especially human rythm section. It's not always extremely tight, but there's intensity and passion and you can hear it. It grooves like a mofo.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »
That was real cool.  Fredo Corleone was singin his ass off. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »
A late 80's prog rock band called, World Trade.  Fronted by Billy Sherwood of Yes fame.  I love their 2 albums and this song is the last song on the first album. It's called, "Open the Door".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScTpapFxAIQ
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
Circus Maximus .........hellooooooo NEW ALBUM ANY TIME BOYS!!!!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
That was pretty awesome!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »
A late 80's prog rock band called, World Trade.  Fronted by Billy Sherwood of Yes fame.  I love their 2 albums and this song is the last song on the first album. It's called, "Open the Door".

That sounds pretty good, it's definitely got that '80s prog 'sound'.   But maybe more interesting than Rabin-era Yes or Asia.  What a horrible name for a band:  World Trade???  Ugh... I can't help but think that these bad band-name choices contribute to their falling off the radar, no matter how good the music might be.     

That was real cool.  Fredo Corleone was singin his ass off. 

Goofy-looking frontmen don't help the cause either. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
I can't help but think that these bad band-name choices contribute to their falling off the radar, no matter how good the music might be.

I swear to God, if I ever start up a new band from scratch, I will campaign with all I have in me to name it "Ziggy Turgidson and the Hong Kong Devils"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
Next is a band that's not completely forgotten, but one that has certainly flown under the radar, as UFO's are prone to do (pun intended :laugh:).   UFO were one of those bands that bridged the gap between hard rock and heavy metal. 

But the one reason why I've always preferred the old hard rock outfits over most heavy metal acts is that they always left some room for jamming and improvisation, as you'll see the great Michael Schenker do in this vid.  You can even see what were probably some of the very 1st "headbangers" in this video, a tune called Rock Bottom.  Such an awesome groove.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KRDE-CzRhU
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:24:49 AM »
UFO has been one of my favorite bands since I was a kid. The Schenker era is especially great.

The band has really enjoyed success this past decade with the addition of Vinnie Moore on guitar. They've released 3 solid albums and have toured extensively.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
But the one reason why I've always preferred the old hard rock outfits over most heavy metal acts is that they always left some room for jamming and improvisation, as you'll see the great Michael Schenker do in this vid.  You can even see what were probably some of the very 1st "headbangers" in this video, a tune called Rock Bottom.  Such an awesome groove.   :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KRDE-CzRhU

The guy who is going nuts right in front of the audience is awesome!!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
Next up is an American Prog-metal band from the late 90's early 00's called Power of Omens.   Some great music by a band that only managed 2 highly-regarded albums, Eyes of The Oracle and Rooms of Anguish.  The vocalist, Chris Salinas, now sings for Zero Hour, a band that's not as good as Power of Omens imo.

The music is highly reminiscent of Fates Warning and Redemption.  This song (dubbed into the video) is called As Winter Falls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAA49Pr94qc
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
Next up is an American Prog-metal band from the late 90's early 00's called Power of Omens.   Some great music by a band that only managed 2 highly-regarded albums, Eyes of The Oracle and Rooms of Anguish.  The vocalist, Chris Salinas, now sings for Zero Hour, a band that's not as good as Power of Omens imo.

I'm dreamtheatervt, and I approve this message.

I listed Power of Omens as one of my hidden gem bands in my top 150 albums thread.  Sadly, there will only be two albums because the bassist died some years ago.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
Next is a band that's not completely forgotten, but one that has certainly flown under the radar, as UFO's are prone to do (pun intended :laugh:).   UFO were one of those bands that bridged the gap between hard rock and heavy metal. 

I've only got a few UFO songs but I've liked what I've heard.  :tup  Classic Rock Magazine LOVES them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:47 AM »

The music is highly reminiscent of Fates Warning and Redemption.  This song (dubbed into the video) is called As Winter Falls:

LV..You been hiding them??
I've never heard of them.

I've only got a few UFO songs but I've liked what I've heard.  :tup  Classic Rock Magazine LOVES them.

Ninja, if you ever need help on where to go with UFO, let me know.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »

Damn, this song was awesome.  Really loved the drumming style.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 01:38:32 PM »

LV..You been hiding them??
I've never heard of them.

:biggrin:  Yeah, I guess I've been holding out.  I backed into this band while checking out Zero Hour, but as I mentioned, I think Power of Omens is the better band.... much more melodic (maybe even better than Redemption?!).  Come to think of it, I think Chris Salinas would fit in beautifully with Redemption (sorry, Ray). 

--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
Like someone else stated, I've been listening to UFO since I was a kid.  Very few bands rock with their cocks as far out as UFO.  They are simple,no holds barred, grab you by the short and curlies and don't let go rock and roll!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
Like someone else stated, I've been listening to UFO since I was a kid.  Very few bands rock with their cocks as far out as UFO.  They are simple,no holds barred, grab you by the short and curlies and don't let go rock and roll!!!

I think I'd have to agree.  I finally bought a full UFO album (Force It) and it was pretty awesome.  Not the best hard rock in the world compared with other bands from the same decade (Rush and Zeppelin), but even so, these guys definitely had something worth contributing to rock music.  :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 09:34:07 AM »
Fifth Angel

Here is the song "In the Fallout" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5bVAX4-of0
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
A band I was very into as a kid was BLACKFOOT.

They were basically a poor man's Lynyrd Skynyrd in the late 70's and early 80's. Ironically, Rick Medlocke is basically the face of LS today. They had a string of good rockin' albums ..Strikes, Tomcattin', and Marauder before enlisting the services of Uriah Heep's Ken Hensley for their great Siogo album.

Highway Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYM9OU6cuE

Train Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMclpOK7a2w&feature=related

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »
Circus Maximus .........hellooooooo NEW ALBUM ANY TIME BOYS!!!!!

End of 2010 according to their Website. I can't stop listening to these lately though. Their music is so... fucking... good!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
A band I was very into as a kid was BLACKFOOT.

They were basically a poor man's Lynyrd Skynyrd in the late 70's and early 80's. Ironically, Rick Medlocke is basically the face of LS today. They had a string of good rockin' albums ..Strikes, Tomcattin', and Marauder before enlisting the services of Uriah Heep's Ken Hensley for their great Siogo album.

Highway Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYM9OU6cuE

Train Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMclpOK7a2w&feature=related

I love Blackfoot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
Visible Wind. Has anyone even heard of them? I've never seen them discussed around here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-khcrlBUY

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
Good call Z!  I likewhat i heard from the link!!!

Here's an oldie,  GTR.  Steve Howe and Steve Hackett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAFzhbTnFuU&feature=related
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:33 PM »
One of the first-ever 'power trios' is a band called Budgie from the early/mid seventies.  Riff-oriented band that has some touches of Sabbath and Zeppelin.   The look and vibe of the bassist/singer Burke Shelley also reminds me of Geddy Lee.   Here's their tune Breadfan.  Check out the smirk on the guitarist Tony Bourge's face.. it's like he's saying "check out this riff!".   I also love the mellow section in the middle at the 3:00 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg

Just for fun, here's Metallica's cover of Breadfan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM34tEG3bOo&feature=related
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
I've wanted to get into UFO for a while.

What about IQ?  They sound like Genesis if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett never left the group and kept playing into the 80s.

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:32 AM »

What about IQ?  They sound like Genesis if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett never left the group and kept playing into the 80s.

IQ is pretty good stuff.  They are definitely more guitar-oriented and heavier than early Genesis, but with less complexity in the rhythms and time changes.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »

IQ is pretty good stuff.  They are definitely more guitar-oriented and heavier than early Genesis, but with less complexity in the rhythms and time changes.
Along with DT and Yes, IQ is one of my favorite bands.  This clip of Sleepless Incidental is a good sample of their concept album, Subterrenea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDLFqI6354&feature=related

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
One of the first-ever 'power trios' is a band called Budgie from the early/mid seventies.  Riff-oriented band that has some touches of Sabbath and Zeppelin.   The look and vibe of the bassist/singer Burke Shelley also reminds me of Geddy Lee.   Here's their tune Breadfan.  Check out the smirk on the guitarist Tony Bourge's face.. it's like he's saying "check out this riff!".   I also love the mellow section in the middle at the 3:00 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg

Just for fun, here's Metallica's cover of Breadfan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM34tEG3bOo&feature=related

Great song.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:39 PM »
One band that I don't see getting a lot of press on this forum is Triumph, the other Canadian power trio from the late seventies, and one of the best live shows I have seen.

From the US Festival in '83, Magic Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRDS9AwDF6g&feature=related

and guitarist Ric Emmit with one of my favorite pieces, Midsummers Daydream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfcdQpmUAs&feature=related

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »
One band that I don't see getting a lot of press on this forum is Triumph, the other Canadian power trio from the late seventies, and one of the best live shows I have seen.

From the US Festival in '83, Magic Power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRDS9AwDF6g&feature=related

and guitarist Ric Emmit with one of my favorite pieces, Midsummers Daydream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfcdQpmUAs&feature=related

Thunder Seven is a must.  Great tour also.