Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 175669 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Avatar
« Reply #980 on: October 15, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
I have an actual Mitsubishi 3dtv, and I've been so tempted to pick that up  ;). 3d at home with the active shutter glasses is awesome!

Jealous!!

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #981 on: October 17, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
I have an actual Mitsubishi 3dtv, and I've been so tempted to pick that up  ;). 3d at home with the active shutter glasses is awesome!
Since you're throwing money away, do you mind if I PM you my paypal account?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #982 on: October 20, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
Since I guess Chino would know the most about this, what is Cameron even planning on doing with Avatar sequels? I can't possibly imagine a new storyline that would warrant a movie aside from just being purely a money grab.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #983 on: October 20, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
Since I guess Chino would know the most about this, what is Cameron even planning on doing with Avatar sequels? I can't possibly imagine a new storyline that would warrant a movie aside from just being purely a money grab.

I think he mentioned something about the main "villain" from the last one returning somehow. I could be wrong, but I remember him mentioning that a while back, although he might have changed his mind. Another site had him mention that he wanted to do something regarding the "Oceans of Pandora", so that's oughta be pretty freakin' awesome.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #984 on: October 20, 2010, 12:48:15 PM »

I would pay for 3 hours of spaceships blowing the shit out of Pandora from orbit.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #985 on: October 20, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
If they did that, how could they ever justify another sequel? :neverusethis:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #986 on: November 10, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »

Well Cameron has said that we are going to get to dive deep into the oceans of Pandora. Probably seeing all new creatures and underwater worlds just as awesome as the stuff on land. We will probably get more insight as to the state of the Earth, and why our presence on Pandora is so crucial for mankind's survival. I'll guarantee that Hells' Gate is not the only base on Pandora. There is probably another RDA facility near by, that will once again be out for redemption. As for the 3rd movie, I have no clue. I would be willing to bet it ends with Jake knocking Neytiri up.

On a side note, anyone plan on getting the collectors edition? I already have mine reserved.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #987 on: November 10, 2010, 09:51:01 AM »

Chino!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #988 on: November 11, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #989 on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »

Well Cameron has said that we are going to get to dive deep into the oceans of Pandora. Probably seeing all new creatures and underwater worlds just as awesome as the stuff on land. We will probably get more insight as to the state of the Earth, and why our presence on Pandora is so crucial for mankind's survival. I'll guarantee that Hells' Gate is not the only base on Pandora. There is probably another RDA facility near by, that will once again be out for redemption. As for the 3rd movie, I have no clue. I would be willing to bet it ends with Jake knocking Neytiri up.

No offense to you and others who love the first movie, but I honestly have the hardest time believing many people will care about any of those things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #990 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »
Yeah, that just sounds like something they could cover in alternate media, or something like the Animatrix.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #991 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:17 AM »

No offense to you and others who love the first movie, but I honestly have the hardest time believing many people will care about any of those things.

Well, heres 14,000+ people combined that would disagree with you.
www.naviblue.com
https://www.avatar-forums.com/forum.php

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #992 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
That's all well and good.  I'm just saying I don't see it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #993 on: November 11, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »

www.naviblue.com

To be fair, those 14,000 people don't matter much. Let's say those 14,000 people plus say....6,000 more who aren't there are DYING to see that stuff.

Welll 20,000 people at 8 dollars a ticket is 160,000 dollars. No one makes a movie to make anything less than a hundred times that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #994 on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »

www.naviblue.com

To be fair, those 14,000 people don't matter much. Let's say those 14,000 people plus say....6,000 more who aren't there are DYING to see that stuff.

Welll 20,000 people at 8 dollars a ticket is 160,000 dollars. No one makes a movie to make anything less than a hundred times that.
I think it's safe to say at this point that Cameron could make a movie about a Na'vi taking a shit in a Pandorian outhouse, and as long as it's 3D, it'll make another billion.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Adami

« Reply #995 on: November 11, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »

www.naviblue.com

I think it's safe to say at this point that Cameron could make a movie about a Na'vi taking a shit in a Pandorian outhouse, and as long as it's 3D, it'll make another billion.

You sir bring up a good point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: November 11, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »

www.naviblue.com

That seems unfair? Its as if he is guilty of how popular his movie became? He made a fine film for what it was. I think he can make another film worth seeing in this saga. :tick2:

Offline Adami

« Reply #997 on: November 11, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
That seems unfair? Its as if he is guilty of how popular his movie became? He made a fine film for what it was. I think he can make another film worth seeing in this saga. :tick2:

When did you become so PC?

He's just saying that despite how good/bad the film was, many many people will see anything he does involving the Pandora Story and if it's in 3D. It's not even a comment on Cameron, but his fans.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »

When I realized I couldn't afford a MAC.

Seriously, all I'm saying is if the first one did that well just because it was 3D I would agree. I just think the second one will fail if the only thing good about it is its 3D. I think the charm of 3D alone making a movie a success is over. That's all I'm saying. If the movie sucks it will fail. :tick2:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #999 on: November 11, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
That's funny because the 3D in Avatar wasn't really that good to begin with outside of one or two scenes that actually showcased the technology.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1000 on: November 11, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »

Seriously, all I'm saying is if the first one did that well just because it was 3D I would agree. I just think the second one will fail if the only thing good about it is its 3D. I think the charm of 3D alone making a movie a success is over. That's all I'm saying. If the movie sucks it will fail. :tick2:

Great Mac comment.

And making a movie in 3D isn't enough to save it, I agree. But saying it's by James Cameron  and in 3D is enough. Any big director has the same stigma. If Spielburg made a touching movie about a guy taking a dump, it would also make huge amounts of money and probably even win an oscar. If Stanley Kubrick had made a movie in the 60's about Kirk Douglas taking a piss for 90 minutes, it would be studied and described as brilliant (which it probably would be). Cameran carries a stigma with his name (and now 3D) that will ensure that whatever he makes to bring in a lot of money.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1001 on: November 11, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »

Great Mac comment.

And making a movie in 3D isn't enough to save it, I agree. But saying it's by James Cameron  and in 3D is enough. Any big director has the same stigma. If Spielburg made a touching movie about a guy taking a dump, it would also make huge amounts of money and probably even win an oscar. If Stanley Kubrick had made a movie in the 60's about Kirk Douglas taking a piss for 90 minutes, it would be studied and described as brilliant (which it probably would be). Cameran carries a stigma with his name (and now 3D) that will ensure that whatever he makes to bring in a lot of money.
Fair enough points.
I do however worry about your willingness to watch Kirk Douglas pee for prolonged periods a bit disturbing, but at least you didn't say Kirk Cameron.:tick2:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1002 on: November 12, 2010, 06:12:26 AM »

www.naviblue.com

I'm pretty sure Avatar's entire fanbase is not represented in those two forums...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: November 12, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »
I didn't read up but the last two posts indicate that someone is try to say that Avatar fan base is not gigantic and to them I say: :lol
In Egypt alone there are +/- 10,000 hardcore Avatar fans, they had a special hall just for them at last year's Cairo Sci-Fi convention, and that's freakin Egypt, imagine what it's like in Europe and Asia.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1004 on: November 12, 2010, 06:49:06 AM »
I don't want to... :facepalm:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1005 on: November 12, 2010, 08:04:34 AM »
A very cool video on some of the tech used for the movie for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CinemaPreview#p/c/7D3CB58A64D7F282/0/f-gK7mHexXU

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1006 on: November 14, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1007 on: November 14, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
 :|
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1008 on: November 14, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
Why do people do that to themselves?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1009 on: November 14, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1010 on: November 14, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
Imma do this.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1011 on: November 14, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1012 on: November 14, 2010, 08:16:26 PM »
That legit looks cool, and I hate Avatar fanboyism.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1013 on: November 16, 2010, 06:58:26 AM »
Collector's Edition comes out today!! :biggrin:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1014 on: November 16, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
How many copies you had reserved?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.