Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 175672 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Avatar
« Reply #840 on: June 30, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »
And I was bored and had nothing else to do :p.
To be honest, the rest of your post was irrelevant, this was a perfectly reasonable justification. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #841 on: June 30, 2010, 05:57:39 PM »
Yeah. It's going to have black lights and only tropical fish that will glow under it.

That's probably not the best idea.

Why?

Because blacklights are UV lamps, and I'm guessing that shining UV lights on your fish for prolonged periods of time is probably not very good for them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #842 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
Calling this the greatest film of all time (like most Americans are these days) is like calling the Star Wars prequel trilogy a work of art.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #843 on: June 30, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
Yeah. It's going to have black lights and only tropical fish that will glow under it.

Why?

Because blacklights are UV lamps, and I'm guessing that shining UV lights on your fish for prolonged periods of time is probably not very good for them.

Well, if they want to live in Pandora under the sea, they are going to have to deal with it. It's only going to be at night anyways.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #844 on: June 30, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
ITT China plots the unfortunate eventual murder of pandoran fish.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #845 on: June 30, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
The amount of hatred for it is way over the top.

I saw it, and found it highly enjoyable. If you were expecting something deep and profound and so were disappointed by a fun fantasy action flick then that's kinda your own fault really. The story was cliche (literally a cross between Pocahontas and Fern Gully... I kept waiting to hear Tim Curry singing!) and the dialogue was occasionally iffy, but there were some nice lines, lots of good acting, nice characters and great visuals. Not a great film by any means, but there's still plenty to like.

Well, knowing that Tim Curry doesn't sing in it, then I'll most certainly be disappointed. Back to Muppets Treasure Island then...

:lol
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #846 on: June 30, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
The light should be fine for the fish.  But I would check and make sure the action figures are safe for them.  The paint may not be. 

By the way, do you know how to properly cycle your tank before putting fish in?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #847 on: June 30, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »

Do YOU know how to properly make your islands float IN GOD DAMN MID AIR?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #848 on: June 30, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #849 on: June 30, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »

I chortled.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #850 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:45 PM »

Yeah. I am not putting the fish in until tomorrow night. A girl friend of mine works at petsmart and has been helping me do everything right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #851 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »

Yeah. I am not putting the fish in until tomorrow night. A girl friend of mine works at petsmart and has been helping me do everything right.

:facepalm:  If you want to give it a second try after your fish die, let me know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LTE

« Reply #852 on: June 30, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
I'm just coming in here to say that I have not seen Avatar yet and don't really care.

:hat
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #853 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
GTFO NAO!

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #854 on: July 01, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »
Most Avatar critics went to see it with completely wrong expectations or are judging it like it's trying to be Schindler's List or something! If they had went in with an open mind and judged it for what it is, they probably would have enjoyed it more. I think James Cameron shot himself in the foot by hyping it up so much, so that for these people it was ultimately a disappointment. I fortunately was mostly unaware of the hype so when I saw it I had no preconceptions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #855 on: July 01, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
Most Avatar critics went to see it with completely wrong expectations or are judging it like it's trying to be Schindler's List or something!
How do you know that?

Most of us went to see it with expectations of seeing another James Cameron film.  What else would we expect?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #856 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
Most Avatar critics went to see it with completely wrong expectations or are judging it like it's trying to be Schindler's List or something! If they had went in with an open mind and judged it for what it is, they probably would have enjoyed it more.

Well for 'what it is' it's a glorified tech demo with a paper thin plot and a really cliche message that's been told and retold many times over. I don't think anyone expected Schindler's List and while I can't speak for everyone but I'm getting to a point where if I can predict a large amount of a movie up to an hour before something happens it seriously hinders my enjoyment.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #857 on: July 01, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »
I think James Cameron shot himself in the foot by hyping it up so much, so that for these people it was ultimately a disappointment.

I don't think he shot himself in the foot at all.  For every critic who felt it was overhyped, there are probably 10 people who were hooked in by the hype and ended up loving it.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #858 on: July 01, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
Most Avatar critics went to see it with completely wrong expectations or are judging it like it's trying to be Schindler's List or something!
How do you know that?

Most of us went to see it with expectations of seeing another James Cameron film.  What else would we expect?
I say that based on what I have read on the internet and what I have heard in real life. I don't claim it to be true for every person, but of those I have experienced, the majority fall into one of those groups of either wrong expectations or unfairly judging.

I think James Cameron shot himself in the foot by hyping it up so much, so that for these people it was ultimately a disappointment.

I don't think he shot himself in the foot at all.  For every critic who felt it was overhyped, there are probably 10 people who were hooked in by the hype and ended up loving it.
By these people I meant the critics who felt it was overhyped. For them, it only made the film more of a let down.

Most Avatar critics went to see it with completely wrong expectations or are judging it like it's trying to be Schindler's List or something! If they had went in with an open mind and judged it for what it is, they probably would have enjoyed it more.

Well for 'what it is' it's a glorified tech demo with a paper thin plot and a really cliche message that's been told and retold many times over. I don't think anyone expected Schindler's List and while I can't speak for everyone but I'm getting to a point where if I can predict a large amount of a movie up to an hour before something happens it seriously hinders my enjoyment.
I didn't say anyone expected it to be SL. But comparisons of that nature are being made by so called "critics" like it's proof of something. As for your predictions, I think ariich put it perfectly:
Oh by the way, the whole "I knew exactly what was going to happen" thing is BS. For example, whether a couple of the main characters lived or died at the end could easily have gone one way or the other. Either way has been done plenty of times before, so whichever they had gone for, cynics will say "I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN LOL".

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #859 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
Really? I thought it was pretty damn obvious that Jake and whatsherface were both going to live, despite the 'danger' they were in. The only real unknown was what deus ex machina was going to save Jake.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #860 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »
Just because you didn't see someone coming doesn't mean I didn't. How can you call it BS when I was in my own body watching the movie and my predictions were coming true because of how cliche they were? There wasn't a single shocking twist or moment throughout the entire movie. I mean when the marines attacked the tree and killed the chief the second he gave blue alien princess chick the bow I thought "she's gonna use it to kill the general" and sure enough over an hour later when all hope is lost for Jake look who comes bounding through the forest with the bow to save the day at the last second.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #861 on: July 01, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

Why?

Well, if they want to live in Pandora under the sea, they are going to have to deal with it. It's only going to be at night anyways.
>Implying that your fish want to live on Pandora

THIS GOD DAMN IT!
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #862 on: July 01, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
For the record, I didn't hate the movie until I saw it a second time and was done being wowed by the graphics.  It allowed me to turn a more critical eye to the meat of the movie itself.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #863 on: July 01, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
Yeah, the first time I saw it I enjoyed it though I really had no desire to watch it again. The second time I was just bored.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #864 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:52 AM »

:facepalm:  If you want to give it a second try after your fish die, let me know.

All my fish are still kicking really well... what am I doing right?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #865 on: August 23, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
Just purchased two tickets to see it Friday morning :chino:

Offline Adami

« Reply #866 on: August 23, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »

How did you get someone to go see it with you?

Oh wait..........you got two tickets for yourself didn't you? For two different showings.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #867 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »

How many times would this make?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Eww
« Reply #868 on: August 23, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »

Let's just say that Chino's sitting back for this BJ.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #869 on: August 23, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »
lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #870 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »

10 in theaters.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #871 on: August 24, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »

How did you get someone to go see it with you?

Oh wait..........you got two tickets for yourself didn't you? For two different showings.
Win! :lol
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #872 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »

10 in theaters.

Doesn't it get old after awhile? I mean you know pretty much everything that happens the first 2 or 3 times, what can someone possibly get out of another 7 or 8 showings?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #873 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »
I had all I wanted after the first time

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »

10 in theaters.

Doesn't it get old after awhile? I mean you know pretty much everything that happens the first 2 or 3 times, what can someone possibly get out of another 7 or 8 showings?

It is the minute details everywhere. Once you know the movies script by heart, you can just look around at everything... in Imax 3D. Every single thing in Pandora is highly thought out. The amount of little details on everything just blow my mind. The Na'vi are cool, but are not nearly as bad ass as the rest of their world. I guess I like to watch it mainly because it's like Planet Earth, but on Pandora. Every time I watch it I see something new and undiscovered to me. That is why Avatar has me hooked. Not because of the peaceful blue people, or Jake Scully becoming one of them. I love it because so much thought and research of our own planet produced such a wonderful imagination in mind of James Cameron. I don't praise him for making a kick ass plot. I give the man all the respect I can for creating world so fucking real, you forget that it isn't.