Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 175676 times)

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
Re: Avatar
« Reply #700 on: May 16, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »
Still haven't seen this movie. But something called unobtanium is pretty lame.

As lame as it may sound, isn't it just a scientific term?

EDIT: Well, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtanium

It's not a scientific term, it's just a placeholder name whenever you're talking about some nonexistent element. I guess it kind of makes sense that when humans did discover it they'd call it that, as if I remember it correctly the unobtanium in Avatar is a room temperatute superconducter, which is basically be a holy grail in modern physics.

That's cool. I was wondering why the hell is was supposed to cost so much.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #701 on: May 16, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »
https://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unobtanium

They never really talked about it in the movie, which is unfortunate because the fact that it's so necessary for Earth's survival very much changes the light in which the human characters are cast.

And just saw this:
the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasi-crystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged...

Yep, just bomb the shit out the place from orbit and take it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #702 on: May 16, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
Unobtanium can also go to the center of the earth and back without melting.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #703 on: May 17, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »

They never really talked about it in the movie, which is unfortunate because the fact that it's so necessary for Earth's survival very much changes the light in which the human characters are cast.

And just saw this:
the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasi-crystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged...

Cameron greatly hurt the quality of the film by taking away the motivation for RDA corp. In the scriptment, there's an early scene where the Colonel and CEO talk about how more people are dying and they're running out of ammunition. Also, there's a group of scenes cut out early showing how Earth has become one giant run-down super city. Not only do we understand slightly more why Jake falls in love with the forest, but why humanity so desperately wants (maybe needs) Unobtanium. Instead of "Evil CEO wants money," a couple more sentences could have explained that Unobtainium would solve the Earth's power problems.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #704 on: May 17, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »

And just saw this:

Cameron greatly hurt the quality of the film by taking away the motivation for RDA corp. In the scriptment, there's an early scene where the Colonel and CEO talk about how more people are dying and they're running out of ammunition. Also, there's a group of scenes cut out early showing how Earth has become one giant run-down super city. Not only do we understand slightly more why Jake falls in love with the forest, but why humanity so desperately wants (maybe needs) Unobtanium.

Yea....but flying lizards!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #705 on: May 17, 2010, 02:30:22 PM »

And just saw this:

Cameron greatly hurt the quality of the film by taking away the motivation for RDA corp. In the scriptment, there's an early scene where the Colonel and CEO talk about how more people are dying and they're running out of ammunition. Also, there's a group of scenes cut out early showing how Earth has become one giant run-down super city. Not only do we understand slightly more why Jake falls in love with the forest, but why humanity so desperately wants (maybe needs) Unobtanium.

Yea....but Navi sex!

Fixd
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #706 on: May 17, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »

Heh. And in fairness to Cameron, apparently it was unnecessary to provide motivation for Jake wanting to live on Pandora. The entire audience wanted to go to there too because it looked pretty.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Adami

« Reply #707 on: May 17, 2010, 02:54:31 PM »

Heh. And in fairness to Cameron, apparently it was unnecessary to provide motivation for Jake wanting to live on Pandora. The entire audience wanted to go to there too because it looked pretty.

The entire movie lacked motivation for any characters. It was basically a really pretty movie with a good amount of unmotivated action. Had the movie spent more time explaining WHY the characters were they were and had us sympathize with even the worst of them, instead of just showing us as many plants and animals as possible, it would have been a lot better.

Hell, maybe this would have worked better split into two movies, one being about the motivaton, the other being about the fight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #708 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »

The entire movie lacked motivation for any characters. It was basically a really pretty movie with a good amount of unmotivated action. Had the movie spent more time explaining WHY the characters were they were and had us sympathize with even the worst of them, instead of just showing us as many plants and animals as possible, it would have been a lot better.

Hell, maybe this would have worked better split into two movies, one being about the motivaton, the other being about the fight.
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't back any opinion, but I don't think it merits any "would have worked better" scenario, considering its box office performance.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #709 on: May 17, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »
Still Adami is right, there was hardly any explanation at all. Even though it made all that money at the box office the lack of backstory made it a really high budget popcorn flick instead of what could've been a really interesting movie. The reason it made so much money was a) it was hyped to shit and b) "omg Cameron".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #710 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
well, and the realistic CGI.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #711 on: May 17, 2010, 03:27:23 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't back any opinion, but I don't think it merits any "would have worked better" scenario, considering its box office performance.

How much money it makes is from people who like seeing entertaining movies. It doesn't speak to the goodness of the movie at all. Bad movies often make tons of money.

EDIT: Also, if we're gonna base how a good a movie is on how popular it is, then Titanic is the best movie ever made.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #712 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:24 PM »
How much money it makes is from people who like seeing entertaining movies. It doesn't speak to the goodness of the movie at all. Bad movies often make tons of money.
Are you suggesting that correlation implies causation?

Offline Adami

« Reply #713 on: May 17, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »

When did I suggest that? Guitarded implied that because the movie made tons of money, there's no reason to think it could have been better. Or something, maybe I missed his point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »

When did I suggest that? Guitarded implied that because the movie made tons of money, there's no reason to think it could have been better. Or something, maybe I missed his point.
It just seemed like you contradicted yourself, saying financial success does not speak to a films quality, but films that endeavour to make a lot of money are normally of lower quality. My perspective it is impossible to say there is a correlation between film quality and finanical success, it depends on each film independently.

Offline Adami

« Reply #715 on: May 17, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »
Oh no, you got the first part right, but not the second. I didn't say that films that try make a lot of money are of low quality. I just simply meant that a films quality can not be measured by its success.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #716 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
I am in love....

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #717 on: May 25, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »
I'm guessing if you saw the original picture you wouldn't be aroused?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #718 on: May 25, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
I think it's time for you to seek help Chino.

Offline Adami

« Reply #719 on: May 25, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
I am in love....

I dunno about love, but get rid of the lame costume crap and I'd bang it hard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline robwebster

« Reply #720 on: May 25, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
Mine is a picture of Matt Smith.
Just call me "Hilarity Bob."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #721 on: May 25, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
https://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8295/26708601221.jpg

Yeah, I'll take the non-blue girl kthnx

Offline robwebster

« Reply #722 on: May 25, 2010, 09:37:05 PM »
Those are ridiculously huge.

That said, her face is completely enchanting. Mesmerising. They'd be too big if she weren't really hot anyway. Heck, they still almost are too big. And I'm a boobs man.

Offline TL

« Reply #723 on: May 25, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
If they'd provided some proper motivation, which really wouldn't have been that difficult, I probably wouldn't have hated this movie nearly as much as I did. Hell, done properly, it possibly could have even bumped it up all the way to 'indifferent' for me.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: May 26, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
https://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8295/26708601221.jpg

Yeah, I'll take the non-blue girl kthnx
Yes, that's a damn improvement.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:54 AM »
Too big.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: May 26, 2010, 01:03:59 AM »
Too big.

Yep, or close to it. I think I'm with rob on this one.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: May 26, 2010, 04:06:36 AM »
To be honest, I'm not fussed either way.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #728 on: May 26, 2010, 04:16:11 AM »
This thread is mildly racist. lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #729 on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Too big.

They're not ideal, but I'd still hit it harder than the humans hit pandora.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
 :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #731 on: May 26, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
Too big.

/ thread

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: May 26, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
Too big.

So, really hard for a few seconds until she pulls out a strap on?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #733 on: May 26, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »

That's true. I liked District 9 better than Avatar because you could at least sense why the humans wanted the aliens out of there. It wasn't just "get the aliens out of here arghghehghgh!" There was some sort of backdrop to the story to follow.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #734 on: May 29, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »