Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174047 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1750 on: April 27, 2022, 12:32:19 PM »
Hmm interesting. I probably try to watch it in 3D just for the spectacle. I feel that's the intended way to see it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1751 on: April 27, 2022, 12:51:20 PM »
The first AVATAR will be re-released in theaters on September 23rd with remastered visuals and sound!!!

Oh happy day!

In all seriousness though, this is going to give so many people an opportunity to see it as intended. Pretty much anyone under the age of 18(give or take) didn't get to see this in it's truest form.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1752 on: April 27, 2022, 01:01:32 PM »
So the Avatar sequel has an official title
Avatar: The Way of the Water in theaters Dec 16th.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1753 on: April 27, 2022, 01:11:45 PM »

That tracks with the leaks from some time ago.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: April 29, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »

That tracks with the leaks from some time ago.

Oh, I thought it was

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1755 on: April 30, 2022, 01:30:56 PM »
HYPE HYPE HYPE!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1756 on: May 09, 2022, 08:08:54 AM »
Not sure if it is the same trailers for every theater, but they showed a 3-D teaser before Dr. Strange, and it looked amazing. Seriously looking forward to this.

Actually, this was it (But 3-D effects, obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPMUMWLEws
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 08:15:40 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1757 on: May 09, 2022, 08:24:53 AM »
Not sure if it is the same trailers for every theater, but they showed a 3-D teaser before Dr. Strange, and it looked amazing. Seriously looking forward to this.

Actually, this was it (But 3-D effects, obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPMUMWLEws

That trailer in leaked in 4K last week and I've watched it about 50 times since while looking at basically every frame as a still. I'm so fucking excited. There is so much to unpack in that trailer.

One thing that really stood out to me is that whatever human base we're seeing (I don't believe that's Hell's Gate"), it's seriously stacked. I counted at least 3 of the Dragon Assault Ships. We only saw one in the first film. The scope of the conflict is going to make the battle at the end of the first movie pale in comparison, I think.

The underwater footage looks absolutely stunning.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1758 on: May 09, 2022, 08:25:07 AM »
I thought I came across a leaked trailer for Avatar 2 a few days ago. I never checked it out myself so not sure. I'm going to see it in the theater regardless.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #1759 on: May 09, 2022, 09:26:43 AM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1760 on: May 11, 2022, 06:59:39 AM »
The trailer received just shy of 150M views in the first 24 hours:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-way-of-water-trailer-online-views-1235144334/

In terms of other comps for teasers, Universal’s F9: The Fast Saga nabbed 202.7 million online views in its initial 24 hours; Black Widow, 116.8 million;  Incredibles 2, 113.1 million; and Rise of Skywalker, 112.4 million.

Not bad for a franchise that's been dormant for 13 years.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1761 on: May 11, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
Yeah, this is enormous pressure on Cameron to justify such a ridiculous waiting period.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1762 on: May 11, 2022, 08:02:05 AM »
Yeah, this is enormous pressure on Cameron to justify such a ridiculous waiting period.

I dunno. I don't think the expectations are super high. I think "looks really cool" is about all people want, right? I doubt it'll matter if the script is bad or the acting is poor. People seem to want really intense cool visuals and neat 3D and I'm confident he'll be able to deliver on that pretty easily.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #1763 on: May 11, 2022, 08:26:01 AM »
Cameron's movies are always entertaining and he seems to know how to make the movie keep on moving. I watched Titanic the other week and for a movie that is that long, I wasn't bored for a second. He has this knack of pacing his movies quite well.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1764 on: May 11, 2022, 08:30:45 AM »
I agree most people have low expectations for Avator 2 and beyond. I think most have realized that Avatar's story was pretty weak in retrospect, even though it seemed awesome while sitting in the theater. So I think we all just expect a visually stunning movie with a mediocre plot. If Cameron can deliver that, these movies will be successful.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1765 on: May 11, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
Cameron's movies are always entertaining and he seems to know how to make the movie keep on moving. I watched Titanic the other week and for a movie that is that long, I wasn't bored for a second. He has this knack of pacing his movies quite well.

While a massive success, I think Titanic gets way too much shit for being a love story at its core. Maybe it's just because I've been a Titanic buff since I was about 7, but that movie is stellar. The amount of the ship we got to see in such a short timeframe, without any of it feeling forced or unnecessary was pure genius. The attention to detail and the constant contrast of rich vs poor was perfectly executed. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the love story element. Not because of the story itself, but because it was a perfect way for Cameron to give us a proper tour of the ship. That movie doesn't have a single wasted second.

I agree most people have low expectations for Avator 2 and beyond. I think most have realized that Avatar's story was pretty weak in retrospect, even though it seemed awesome while sitting in the theater. So I think we all just expect a visually stunning movie with a mediocre plot. If Cameron can deliver that, these movies will be successful.

Cameron responded to criticisms about the plot with this:

Though, I'm thinking we're going to get some serious story telling in the rest of the films. Multiple teams spent more than a year just writing out the sequels, and we're getting a crapload of new characters introduced. I'm confident that the sequels will be much more original in the story telling sense.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1766 on: May 11, 2022, 09:50:43 AM »
Cameron's movies are always entertaining and he seems to know how to make the movie keep on moving.

ALIENS is pretty epic. Fantastic movie
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1767 on: May 11, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
Cameron responded to criticisms about the plot with this:

Dances with Wolves
Pocahontas
The Last Samurai
Fern Gully
Etc
Etc
Etc

... but people seem to bitch the most about Avatar not being an original story.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1768 on: May 11, 2022, 11:02:51 AM »

Dances with Wolves
Pocahontas
The Last Samurai
Fern Gully
Etc
Etc
Etc

... but people seem to bitch the most about Avatar not being an original story.
I think the difference is that Avatar was the biggest movie of all time and was nominated for a ton of awards, so it's looked at with a little more scrutiny. But yeah... movies are derivatives of each other all the time and people don't freak out about it.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: May 11, 2022, 11:16:14 AM »
When you talk about the "brilliance" of your own movie, you may have an ego problem.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1770 on: May 11, 2022, 11:21:42 AM »
When you talk about the "brilliance" of your own movie, you may have an ego problem.

Or he understands that he's a master of his craft and it is what it is. Michael Jordan didn't tell his teammates to get him the ball because of his ego. He told them to get him the ball because knew that he was the best and would deliver under pressure.

Also, Jim's probably not just looking at it as his film. It took hundreds of people from multiple countries several years to make the first movie. The team effort to put something like that together and have it set a new bar for the box office is/was "brilliant". He knows that they envisioned and delivered something that was never done before and would be very difficult to top.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1771 on: May 12, 2022, 01:07:31 PM »
James Cameron comes off as one of the biggest egomaniacs of Hollywood but to the man's credit he has made some of the best blockbusters ever made. In the case with Avatar I think people focus a lot on the story being generic and done before but my biggest takeaway on rewatching it again recently (after 12 years) was that the characters were completely unmemorable and the movie was also kinda lacking in really memorable lines/scenes that elevate a movie like this into classic status. T1, T2 and Aliens are packed with scenes, lines or character moments that didn't just elevate those movies but even people who haven't seen those movies are familiar with those things.

I'm intrigued to see Avatar 2 for the visual spectacle and I suspect that's the reason most people have because I haven't heard anyone legitimately excited for the continued adventures of the memorable characters Jake Sully and Neytiri.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1772 on: May 12, 2022, 01:18:42 PM »
James Cameron comes off as one of the biggest egomaniacs of Hollywood but to the man's credit he has made some of the best blockbusters ever made. In the case with Avatar I think people focus a lot on the story being generic and done before but my biggest takeaway on rewatching it again recently (after 12 years) was that the characters were completely unmemorable and the movie was also kinda lacking in really memorable lines/scenes that elevate a movie like this into classic status. T1, T2 and Aliens are packed with scenes, lines or character moments that didn't just elevate those movies but even people who haven't seen those movies are familiar with those things.

I'm intrigued to see Avatar 2 for the visual spectacle and I suspect that's the reason most people have because I haven't heard anyone legitimately excited for the continued adventures of the memorable characters Jake Sully and Neytiri.

I agree about the characters, but I have to push back a bit on the scenes thing. I know it's entirely subjective, but the first time we see the bioluminescent forest revealed at nighttime was one of the (if not the most) memorable experience I've ever had in a theater. It was mind-numbing, jaw dropping, and beautiful. Home tree coming down was absolutely ridiculous, part of which may have been due to the audio experience a theater can provide vs a home theater, but still. The final battle when Jake is rallying all the other clans and we see all Na'vi battle tactics being used in a united front was great, and seeing the hammerhead titanotheres lay waste to the RDA AMP suits and infantry was really cool too.

I think Jake's initial ikran flight with Neytiri was also really well done - taking us on a blisteringly fast flight through the floating mountains. I never saw anything like it in a film. Something so fake never felt more real. That to me is really where the crux of my love for Avatar comes from. Cameron created a fake world that felt so real, you almost forget it's not by the time the movie ends.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1773 on: May 12, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
Cameron created a fake world that felt so real, you almost forget it's not by the time the movie ends.

100% agree....THAT was the cool takeaway from the film. I agree Brian that the scene of the bioluminescent forest at night was remarkable the first time I saw it in theaters.

Oh and....it legit caused depression in people due to Pandora being fake and not real. I think at the time there was a lawsuit that was thrown out that some people wanted to sue him for creating such a great world that couldn't be enjoyed in real life.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1774 on: May 12, 2022, 02:19:41 PM »

I agree about the characters, but I have to push back a bit on the scenes thing. I know it's entirely subjective, but the first time we see the bioluminescent forest revealed at nighttime was one of the (if not the most) memorable experience I've ever had in a theater. It was mind-numbing, jaw dropping, and beautiful. Home tree coming down was absolutely ridiculous, part of which may have been due to the audio experience a theater can provide vs a home theater, but still. The final battle when Jake is rallying all the other clans and we see all Na'vi battle tactics being used in a united front was great, and seeing the hammerhead titanotheres lay waste to the RDA AMP suits and infantry was really cool too.

I think Jake's initial ikran flight with Neytiri was also really well done - taking us on a blisteringly fast flight through the floating mountains. I never saw anything like it in a film. Something so fake never felt more real. That to me is really where the crux of my love for Avatar comes from. Cameron created a fake world that felt so real, you almost forget it's not by the time the movie ends.

It definitely was a visual spectacle and even though some of that is lessened when viewing at home 13 years later, it's still a cool world and concept. I do think the lack of memorable characters or a great story are the key reasons many people feel Avatar didn't become the classic that maybe some thought it would. I'm expecting good visuals from the new one but I'm hoping we get something more as well. But my sister loved the first one and she didn't mind the tropes had been done before so I think the crowd who really loves Avatar might fall into that bracket of 'it's been done before but never better than this'.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1775 on: May 12, 2022, 02:28:20 PM »

It definitely was a visual spectacle and even though some of that is lessened when viewing at home 13 years later, it's still a cool world and concept. I do think the lack of memorable characters or a great story are the key reasons many people feel Avatar didn't become the classic that maybe some thought it would. I'm expecting good visuals from the new one but I'm hoping we get something more as well. But my sister loved the first one and she didn't mind the tropes had been done before so I think the crowd who really loves Avatar might fall into that bracket of 'it's been done before but never better than this'.

I'm expecting a buttload of character development in the sequels. First and foremost, Quaritch is back as an Avatar (maybe get a twist and find out he's a Na'vi?) and is confirmed to be in all four of the next films. Lang said he started crying reading the script of the final movie, so I'm assuming that means we see a crazy arc involving his character. Bad guy turning good probably.   

It also sounds like Jake and Neytiri won't be the focal point of the story. It'll be more about their family/children, both natural and adopted. The adopted child poses a ton of potential for his own story. I'm sure their will be tons of conflict there. He's been raised as a Na'vi in a human body, but I can't help but think he's going to become conflicted about who and what he is as he gets more exposure to humans.

I really have no idea where they are going to take this. The fact that several teams of writers wrote four full movies, probably 12ish hours of content, before any filming began makes me believe that the overall story got a ton of attention. The first film with its simplicity did an awesome job introducing us to the world, the people, and gave us a high-level overview of the conflict between humans and Na'vi. We'll be able to hit the ground running in the second movie seeing as all the world building (minus the depths of the ocean) has already been done with the audience.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: May 12, 2022, 06:41:39 PM »
I saw Titanic in the theater, highly enjoyed it, and haven't had a desire to see it since.

I saw Avatar at home, thought it was alright but didn't get what the "big deal" was, and haven't had a desire to see it since. I realize I may have missed out on the full experience by not seeing it in the theater, but that's just how it played out.

Regarding Chino's last point about the writing teams... I hope this doesn't prove to be a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1777 on: May 12, 2022, 09:08:32 PM »

I saw Avatar at home, thought it was alright but didn't get what the "big deal" was, and haven't had a desire to see it since. I realize I may have missed out on the full experience by not seeing it in the theater, but that's just how it played out.

Same. I remember watching it with my wife and basically calling out every thing that was going to happen two minutes before it did. I have zero interest in seeing a sequel.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1778 on: May 13, 2022, 04:25:18 AM »
I love the first film. It succeeds in establishing an original alien world and making it feel alive. I also enjoy the story. Has it been told before? Yes, but it tells the story well in my opinion. It is very rare that a film with a completely new ip and a massive budget succeeds, I hope the series will remain succesful.

For me Avatar is memorable, haven't seen it for many years and I can remember a lot of it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1779 on: May 13, 2022, 05:34:45 AM »
I saw Titanic in the theater, highly enjoyed it, and haven't had a desire to see it since.

Regarding Chino's last point about the writing teams... I hope this doesn't prove to be a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

I'm optimistic about it. The original plan was to make three sequels, and Cameron put together an overarching story for that. He then put together a team of writers for each movie and was heavily involved in each script. When they were finished there was too much material, and rather than cutting any of what they wrote, the decision was made to just add a 4th film. I hope that means it wasn't a matter of too many cooks, but rather too much good food that couldn't go to waste.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:47:09 AM by Chino »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1780 on: May 13, 2022, 06:30:36 AM »
Not for me
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:05:40 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1781 on: May 13, 2022, 06:34:03 AM »
The fact they spent time mapping out the sequels and putting work into making the plot and characters something better than in the original is great. However, I do hope that they find a way to make each movie good and to work on their own. It feels like a common thing today with all the cinematic universes we have that a lot of the time it feels like "you really need A and B to fully enjoy C" and while Avatar is its own original thing and you can't shove in a Luke Skywalker or Dr Strange cameo to set up a spin off movie, I still hope each movie on their own will be satisfying.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1782 on: May 13, 2022, 06:50:12 AM »
Oh and....it legit caused depression in people due to Pandora being fake and not real. I think at the time there was a lawsuit that was thrown out that some people wanted to sue him for creating such a great world that couldn't be enjoyed in real life.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html
I remember hearing about this at the time and thought it was bullshit. No, we don't have glowing plants (well... we do, but not to that level) or floating mountains, but we do have some pretty freaking awesome natural beauty in this world. I can almost guarantee you that the people "suffering" from this spent virtually all of their free time watching screens instead of actually getting outside.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1783 on: May 13, 2022, 06:50:50 AM »
The fact they spent time mapping out the sequels and putting work into making the plot and characters something better than in the original is great. However, I do hope that they find a way to make each movie good and to work on their own. It feels like a common thing today with all the cinematic universes we have that a lot of the time it feels like "you really need A and B to fully enjoy C" and while Avatar is its own original thing and you can't shove in a Luke Skywalker or Dr Strange cameo to set up a spin off movie, I still hope each movie on their own will be satisfying.

The franchise producer, Jon Landau said this in a recent interview:

"The Way of Water," and the three other sequels to be released in the coming years, will be standalone movies. This effectively means that we don't have to wait years and five movies to get finality to the story Cameron is telling — he's actually telling five different stories.

However, Landau added that they will each focus on the franchise's main character, Jake Sully (played by Sam Worthington), the family he's building with Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), and the Na'vi clan they have.

https://www.insider.com/avatar-sequels-standalone-movies-producer-cinemacon-2022-4

That to me reads as though each movie will have a resolution and not end on a cliff hanger, but I'm sure there will be plenty of story and arcs that can be followed across all five of the films.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1784 on: May 13, 2022, 07:30:31 AM »

Yeah, them planning it out with a writing team seems like a good plan. I don't know how hollywood really works, but some of these major blockbuster series really feel like they scrambled together a plot right before filming and without anyone proof reading. See the latest Star Wars trilogy.