Author Topic: I quit my band  (Read 2305 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
I quit my band
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »
I have mixed emotions. I spent the last eight years in this band. We played country music with some southern rock. I hated country when I joined the band, but it was a good gig so I took it. I ended up having a lot of fun playing the stuff, and we really got a good following, but it got to the point that so many places wanted us that our booking lady (guitar player's wife) couldn't say no, and just kept booking and booking. When you are a single father who just bought a house you don't have time to be playing all the time. It got to be every weekend, so I gave them four months notice to replace me. They did find a guy and I was able to leave without any hard feelings, but most of the fans said that it wouldn't be the same without me, and some even said they wouldn't be following the band anymore. I think that part of it really sucks, but I care too much about my son and the rest of my life to put the band and the fans in front of everything else. Right now I am loving the time off, but it's only been one weekend so far.
I know I'll end up missing it, but I think I did the right thing.
Has anyone else ever been in this situation here?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: I quit my band
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »
I feel for you man.  I think you definately made the right choice given your situation.  Who knows what other musical ventures await you should you decide to keep doing it?  I just left a prog band I drummed in with a bunch of buddies, though not nearly as serious as your situation, a part of me is sad that I wont get that kind of 'band feeling' anymore y'know?  I'll miss hanging out and playing music I enjoy and I'll especially miss doing that with people I really like being with.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »
I think it's great that you were a good sport about the whole thing, and you left with no hard feelings. I can't really relate, since I've never left a band because I had to. I've only left when it just wasn't fun anymore.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »
Family comes first man. Music is a great thing, but there ARE things that come before it. You made the right choice.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:48:33 PM »
Family comes first man. Music is a great thing, but there ARE things that come before it. You made the right choice.

This.  More fathers should be more like you, 2Timer.  :tup

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
At least you left on good terms. I left the Maiden tribute I was in for four years a few months ago. I played bass, but guitar is my primary instrument and don't have a band to play that in. The band was the only thing I actually played bass for. At the end I found that I wasn't enjoying playing bass as much as I was so gave it six months to see if it got better. At the end of that I played quite possibly the worst gig of my life (including future gigs) and decided that was it. I ended up walking off before the end of the set after one train wreck too many, and I was furious at myself and the band for not playing well the songs that we had been playing together for over 4 years. Leaving felt like a great weight off my shoulder as I really didn't think much of my bass playing skills (and as usual for me cover it up with showmanship and energy :neverusethis:) yet people seemed to think I was fantastic at it. While it gave me room to breathe I still need to fulfill my craving to play live, only with an instrument I'm comfortable with.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:10:49 PM »
You did the right thing. Giving four months notice was very classy and professional, and I'm glad to hear you left with no hard feelings. Hope your family life goes well, and good luck finding new musical ventures you can pursue.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again