Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81676 times)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #665 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:10 AM »
I'm going to see them this september.

And in other news, did you all know that Dance Me This is coming? Zappa's 100th official release. His last official completed album that was left on the shelf (I read that somewhere, so don't hold me to it). Just synclavier work, is anyone looking forward to it?

https://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?pc=ZPCD170
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #666 on: May 01, 2015, 03:20:34 AM »
Not very, not too fond of his synclavier work.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #667 on: May 01, 2015, 06:39:35 AM »
Listened to Overnite/Apostrophe/Roxy/One Size in the car yesterday. Brilliant stretch of albums there.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #668 on: May 01, 2015, 07:07:57 AM »
Truly.  That band was the best.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #669 on: May 01, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
Not a huge fan of the synclavier stuff but will still be interesting to hear some of his last works.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #670 on: May 01, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
That sounds like a kick-ass show, Jackie! There is another Zappa tribute band out there comprised of some ex-bandmembers. (I think Ike Willis is in there) called Banned From Utupia.

They're touring quite a bit as well.

Never heard of them! Sounds like their lineup changes from what I see on the website. Can't find any tour dates.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #671 on: May 01, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
As much as I like a lot of Zappa's stuff, I've never quite gotten the fascination many have with Over-Nite Sensation and One Size Fits All.  I don't dislike either, but neither does a lot for me.

My go-to Zappa albums remain Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, Apostrophe and Zoot Allures.  And Joe's Garage, if I have lots of time. :lol :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #672 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:14 PM »
I've really developed a new love for One Size lately. It's goofier than its predecessors but somehow more musically mature. Some of the rhythms (Andy especially) are really nutty.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #673 on: May 02, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
Hey, what's new in Baltimore?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #674 on: May 02, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
Hey, what's new in Baltimore?

I see what you did there.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #675 on: May 03, 2015, 05:33:46 AM »
More Trouble Every Day, appearantly....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: May 03, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »
Listened to Make A Jazz Noise Here today. What are your thought on that? My uncle (a big Zappa fan otherwise) thought it was good, but every solo was ruined by random noises. I sorta see what he means, but the band pieces are really well arranged, and the band is flawless.

King Kong, however, proves his point exactly. The intro (0:00-1:32) is awesome (so tight!) but the solo's (apart from the first one (1:32 - 4:00, or maybe even up unto 5:00), Brecker Brothers!) are, well, stuff...

(https://youtu.be/tdLZ0aVPTic) for those who don't own it.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #677 on: May 03, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »
Oh yeah, I've never heard that version before. It's aiight.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #678 on: May 03, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
I can see that point, or hear it, rather.  It seems to me that Frank, while obviously very serious about his music, always had a "goofy" or "silly" side which infused most of his work.  It's almost like he didn't want us to take it too seriously, or something.  The early Mothers stuff was so out-there that it's hard to say how seriously we're supposed to take any of it, the mid-late-70's stuff always had humor, but even on later instrumental albums, where the "serious composer" side of him was in full force, there was always a bit of wackiness.

It usually doesn't bother me, since, like most guys, I've never quite grown up.  I'm one of those, "yeah, but there's always room for one gross joke" kind of guys.  So goofing off and making weird noises during a solo or even during an ensemble section is usually overlooked.  I can see how it can be distracting, though.  It does get to be a bit much for even me sometimes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #679 on: June 14, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
Can someone recommend some more Zappa songs like Blue Napkins?

I'm absolutely in love with blue napkins  :heart

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: June 14, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »
Watermelon in Easter Hay springs to mind, check that one out.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #681 on: June 16, 2015, 12:57:52 AM »
watched a couple ZPZ vids on youtube.  great stuff. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #682 on: June 16, 2015, 03:07:43 AM »

Not to be a dick, but don't you mean Black Napkins?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #683 on: June 16, 2015, 07:25:55 AM »

Maybe he meant Pink Napkins.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: June 16, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »
In other news: Dance me This has of course been delayed. And when I asked my local record store what the price would be, they said it would be around 40 euro's. For a single CD. For years those prices have been shooting up, with the old posthumous Zappa releases being around 25 euro's, all the way through a few years ago, when I bought Feeding the Monkies new for 27 euro's, and the Road Tapes for 33 (double disc), but now all of a sudden a single CD for 40?! I don't know if that is actually going to be the price, but I hope not.

Furthermore, about half  a year ago I bought Carnegie Hall, 4 disc box set, about 45 euro's, I believe. I figured that it would look nice, but it actually sort of is the cheapest way to pack 4 CD's. This afternoon I saw the vinyl box set of Wazoo in a record shop. Never saw that one before, I nearly jumped the gun and bought it right away. 95 euro's was a bit steep so I checked the set better. The set had a cheap feel all over it. For instance on the side of the records it said 'Wazoo - disc one - disc one' and 'Wazoo - disc two', the third record is Joe's Domage, but I guess (and that would really be bad) it autocorrected on the side of the sleeve to Joe's Damage. The back was called Joe's Domage.

Everything considered I don't like the way ZFT is making profit of Zappa's last official releases. These are the last real Zappa approved releases (either he once said he'd make a collection of certain songs, or he actually mixed it, ready for release), and they are pricey, I get that. But none of them actually deserve the amount of cash you get charged.

After release #100, Dance me This, things'll get different. Release #101 for instance, is a modern ensemble, playing 200 Motels. Sort of like a cover version. I guess the next step is that Dweezil will release his ZPZ albums as official Zappa releases.

That's it, thanks for reading.  :chill

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #685 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »
Wow that´s real shitty the way they overpriced that....

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #686 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
If these final releases were priced high, but were high quality and clearly meant to honor the Zappa legacy, I'd be cool with that.  If they'd skimped a bit on the packaging, but the price was that of a comparable regular release, I guess that would be okay, too.  It's what's inside that counts, after all.

But this combination of cheepnis with the packaging (including typos and other shit) and higher-than-normal pricing is ridiculous and nothing less than a black mark on Frank's work.  I'm sure Frank himself doesn't care either way, but damn, you'd think his family would at least proofread what they're putting out there.  What the fuck, Gail?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: June 16, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »
If these final releases were priced high, but were high quality and clearly meant to honor the Zappa legacy, I'd be cool with that.  If they'd skimped a bit on the packaging, but the price was that of a comparable regular release, I guess that would be okay, too.  It's what's inside that counts, after all.

But this combination of cheepnis with the packaging (including typos and other shit) and higher-than-normal pricing is ridiculous and nothing less than a black mark on Frank's work.  I'm sure Frank himself doesn't care either way, but damn, you'd think his family would at least proofread what they're putting out there.  What the fuck, Gail?

Well yes, that exactly. I'm getting comfort from reading the same things on Zappa forums as well, it's not that it's just annoying for a regular fan, but the die hard fans are fed up with it too.
Anyway, I guess that it stops with release #100, but I'd be happy to be proven otherwise.

(that's good news actually for the Zappa discography discussion thread  ;) )

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:30 AM »

Maybe he meant Pink Napkins.

Black Napkins on the album, the other colours are live Napkin jams.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: September 26, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »
I've finally started my Frank Zappa discography thread. If any of you are interested in taking a closer look at all of Zappa's albums over the next year/years take part!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #690 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13:41 AM »
Will do!  :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: October 07, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
I've been running into Facebook posts that say Gail Zappa died today...yet I can't find any official news. Can anyone confirm this?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #692 on: October 07, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
RIP Gail.  Now you can join Frank.  In... uh... the ground. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »
I've been running into Facebook posts that say Gail Zappa died today...yet I can't find any official news. Can anyone confirm this?
https://www.zappa.com/

RIP
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline darkshade

« Reply #694 on: October 07, 2015, 06:26:48 PM »
RIP - one of the most important non-musicians in the progressive music world.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #695 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »
Aw. Rest in Peace, Gail.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: October 08, 2015, 12:43:33 AM »
She did a lot of great work, and was always very important to Frank. Rest in piece Gail.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #697 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:05 AM »
RIP Gail. I read that she went peacefully at home, so hooray for hospice!

Here's a dumb little story I can only tell in this thread: I have been talking to a guy on OkCupid for a while whose initial message mentioned the fact that I had Zappa listed in my profile. We finally met last night after at least a month of on/off talking. I didn't think about this when I set the location, but the coffee shop we met at is near a shopping center that has some "art" walls with quotes on them. One of the quotes (which takes up three little walls) is from "Call Any Vegetable." So after we had coffee I told him I had a surprise and took him to the wall. He was like  :eek :D :dangerwillrobinson: and I scored major points, obviously.

After that we walked around a bit and eventually started making out outside of a library. At one of the breaks in our makeout session I said to him, in my best Sy Borg voice, "You are a funn person" followed by "I like you. I want to kiss you always."

I am a total dork, and it totally paid off. We have another date Monday  :D

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: October 09, 2015, 01:13:25 AM »
RIP Gail. I read that she went peacefully at home, so hooray for hospice!

Here's a dumb little story I can only tell in this thread: I have been talking to a guy on OkCupid for a while whose initial message mentioned the fact that I had Zappa listed in my profile. We finally met last night after at least a month of on/off talking. I didn't think about this when I set the location, but the coffee shop we met at is near a shopping center that has some "art" walls with quotes on them. One of the quotes (which takes up three little walls) is from "Call Any Vegetable." So after we had coffee I told him I had a surprise and took him to the wall. He was like  :eek :D :dangerwillrobinson: and I scored major points, obviously.

After that we walked around a bit and eventually started making out outside of a library. At one of the breaks in our makeout session I said to him, in my best Sy Borg voice, "You are a funn person" followed by "I like you. I want to kiss you always."

I am a total dork, and it totally paid off. We have another date Monday  :D

:heart that's awesome  :lol

Bout To Crash, you should head over to the Zappa Discography Thread, people've been asking about your tattoos  ;)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2015, 06:37:51 AM »
 :lol

He should have said, "You'll love it. It's a way of life."
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens