Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81675 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
Seeing ZPZ tomorrow playing Roxy. Someone hold me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
Seeing ZPZ tomorrow playing Roxy. Someone hold me.
I'm finally seeing ZPZ next month. Can't wait!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
Still haven't seen them, I really wish they come back to europe, but since it's Dweezil, I guess he won't stop touring until he's 100 years old (which is when his grandson would take over).

Anyone heard Joe's Camouflage already? I've heard it once, but I wasn't in the situation to listen properly.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:24 AM »
Holy fucking shit that show was good. If anyone's on the fence about seeing ZPZ, just do it. They're ridiculously faithful to the original recordings, although still with a little improv, just like a typical FZ show would have been. Roxy was absolutely amazing to see live, and they didn't miss a single note.

Got a downright sexy Apostrophe shirt too.  :hat
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #565 on: February 20, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
Got a downright sexy Apostrophe shirt too.  :hat

Pics or... you know.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #566 on: February 20, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »
 :lol

I saw them Friday here in Denver, and they were amazing! I've seen them maybe 7 times now and that was one of my favorites.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55:41 PM »
I wanted to catch that Denver show too, but wasn't able to go. :(

Hopefully I'll catch them next time they're in town. I'd love to hear Frank's music live.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »
I'd love to see these guys again, but it just isn't the budget this year.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »
I just got back from seeing ZPZ, and holy shit were they good!! I knew they'd kick ass, but I wasn't expecting them to be this good! I can only imagine what it was like to actually see Frank Zappa himself in concert.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
I was just thinking about Dweezil's take on Frank's guitar playing and how he's somehow emulated his dear ol' dad yet has made it his own. Take Inca Roads from the DVD, he has made Frank's lead more legible and easier for mere mortals to follow yet I can close my eyes and totally see Frank. It's different, yet the same.

Dweezil's done such a fine job with his band. It's amazing that he can match the musicianship of the old bands yet never surpass them.

I don't know. I love it!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
I had a little trouble with the original concept behind Zappa Plays Zappa, at first anyway.  It struck me as a cash grab, Dweezil cashing in on his father's reputation.  I heard he was getting together former Mothers and others who'd played with Frank, to give some credibility, but it still seemed wrong somehow.  I eventually came around to realizing that this is amazing music and should be played, and of course it makes perfect sense that Dweezil lead it and others who've played the music be in the band.  So... cool.  My feelings on the whole ZPZ thing did a 180.

In looking at recent lineups, however, I don't see many names that I recognize.  It seems like it really is "The Dweezil Zappa Band".  Now, that is still going to be a step or two up the scale from your average tribute band, and that's on top of the fact that this is insanely difficult music to begin with.  No one in their right minds would try to do a Zappa tribute band.  None except for another Zappa.

So okay, this is great music, and I do believe that Dweezil is doing this because this music should be played live and appreciated, and to honor his father's work, and yeah, maybe make some money too.  I just wish more of the original guys were in the band, like at first.

I'm not sure what my point was anymore.  I'm glad people are digging the shows, but somehow I have no desire to see them.  I might check out the DVD if one falls into my lap.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 06, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
I love Dweezil's solo-ing, and I love the band, but to me it's not very different from another tribute band. I know, Dweezil's in there, and I know his solo-ing sounds like his dad's, I know. But still, something's missing, I don't like the exact copies of the jokes Frank made during the shows, but I can't see how they should've done it differently.

I'm somewhat torn, it's great that this music gets to a new generation (of listeners, players and releases (I'd love a ZPZ blu-ray release)), but it still seems like a copy/paste job, sometimes (how difficult it even is to copy/paste Frank's music is obvious, but stil...)
Dweezil's solo-ing makes it more musical, but I would've loved this band to get their own jokes, running gags, or even an own Groupie Routine.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #573 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
I've never seen ZPZ live.  Sometimes I think I should check them out.  I just don't think it could compare to my one experience seeing Frank play live in 1984.  His band put on such a great show!  Any thoughts?
- Ronzoni -

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #574 on: March 06, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
I think that might be my problem, too.  I saw Frank in 1980, and while that particular show had some issues (my review is earlier in this thread), that was a great band and I'm glad I saw them.  I'm sure Dweezil and company are great, too, but once you've seen the real thing, it's hard to get excited about a cover band, even if it's a great cover band.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: March 07, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »
I disagree. I saw Frank and his band quite a few times from the late 70's and through the following decade--including the now infamous "Tinseltown Rebellion" tour. That was the year I turned 21 so I was legally blasted for the first time :biggrin: Imagine my surprise as Frank started soliciting panties and the woman next to me pulled down her pants and whipped off a pink pair. Frank gave them a quick sniff and then flipped them back to Vinnie for his judgement.

There is no way that Dweezil and his band can recapture the chaos and spontaneity of Frank's concerts but somehow the music took a backseat to the one-ups-manship of finding out who could be the most weird. Frank always won. I remember him getting pissed off when the band would miss one of his ques and make them start a song over. Or he'd just gloss over the mistakes and ridicule his own band. It sometimes made for uncomfortable moments in the show because he could be such a downer or an asshole to what were always world class musicians.

ZPZ are respecting the music with sharp performances and a near reverence for the satire. It makes for a different kind of show but I like the focus on the music...in some ways even more than the concerts I saw with Frank. They both have their place.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #576 on: March 07, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
Was she hot?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: March 07, 2014, 08:00:36 AM »
 :lol

Oh, Orbert, you had to go there! Yes. Yes she was!

Another thing that was cool about those 70's shows is the diversity of the audience. You'd have young punks like me who liked the counterculture aspects of going to a Zappa show, who were usually high from one flavor of 'trendy chemical amusement aids' or another. You'd have the casual novelty-music fans who would be standing around looking a bit lost and confused. You'd have the musicians who were there to absorb the performance and always seemed impatient with the antics of the band and the crowd. But, oddest of all was the back of the venue where the entire faculty of the University of Utah music department from buttoned down concert masters to aging-hippie guitar teachers--they would all be lined up watching with rapt attention and even taking notes!  :lol

Fun times.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #578 on: March 07, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
I should have clarified when I said it's hard to get excited about checking out a tribute band, even a really good one.  I meant for me.  And that's probably a bit overly cynical.  I still appreciate good music performed well, especially in a live setting.  As I said, if someone dropped a ZPZ DVD in my lap, I'd check it out.  I just don't think I'd pay for tickets and go to the show.  But that's just me.

So I didn't really disagree with what you said, and had to instead focus on the other important issue, and that was the chick next to you who whipped her jeans down and plucked her panties off.  I mean, this is important.  If you're gonna put that image in everyone's heads, we need to know a bit more about her appearance in order to visualize things properly, wouldn't you say?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »
:lolpalm:

I'd be happy to pay to see ZPZ over and over again. Not all of us had the opportunity to see Frank.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: May 10, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
So, any more Zappa fans over here? I must say that however the price is extremely high (over 50 dollars in my local cd store), I MUST have Roxy By Proxy. I will wait for a little while though, maybe release #100 will be the Roxy blu-ray, and there must be a deluxe edition with the CD.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Based on recommendations, I've only listened to Hot Rats so far, which is amazing. It might be one of my favorite albums ever. His discography is so massive that I'm not sure where to check next though, so I've held off on it for a while.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
Based on recommendations, I've only listened to Hot Rats so far, which is amazing. It might be one of my favorite albums ever. His discography is so massive that I'm not sure where to check next though, so I've held off on it for a while.

Try Waka/Jawaka, or The Grand Wazoo. If you want to check something more poppy, go for Apostrophe, or Roxy and Elsewhere. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »

Try Waka/Jawaka, or The Grand Wazoo. If you want to check something more poppy, go for Apostrophe, or Roxy and Elsewhere. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

Thanks! :tup The Grand Wazoo has actually been on my list for a while now, so I'll probably check out that one first.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: May 11, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »
Cool! Let me know what you think. I totally didn't get into Zappa because of his jazzy side, so I'd be interested to hear what you think of those albums from your point of view.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #585 on: May 11, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
Best version ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_wcFDpLmw

Now... I LOVE me some Flo and Eddie, but no - the album version absolutely SLAYS this one IMO.  Plus, you just cannot go wrong with Absolutely Free (and Jimmy Carl Black on the "rutabaga" call :biggrin: ) - that album kicks all kinds of ass.

(although I love the CAV excerpt on Playground Psychotics... )

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #586 on: May 24, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
Just put back Sheik Yerbouti back on the shelf.  Loved it so much I had to listen to Yo' Mama twice.

Somehow I don't think The Who's By Numbers is going to quite measure up, but you never know.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: May 25, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »
Just put back Sheik Yerbouti back on the shelf.  Loved it so much I had to listen to Yo' Mama twice.

Somehow I don't think The Who's By Numbers is going to quite measure up, but you never know.

Sounds like a good joke  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #588 on: May 26, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Yo' Mama is one of my all-time favorite Zappa songs.  I love that solo.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:57 AM »
So I bought the Thing Fish vinyl box set, original release, including a pamphlet announcing The Old Masters Box One. But yeah, the album... I thought it might be better on vinyl. Well, in all fairness, it is. But by all means, I would LOOOOVVVEEEE to hear the album without all the Ike Willis stories. There's not a single note being played without someone talking over it.
At first I thought it would be the intro to the album (in the past I've never made it past the first couple tracks), but I'm way past halfway right now, and man it's getting annoying.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #590 on: June 09, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
Cool! Let me know what you think. I totally didn't get into Zappa because of his jazzy side, so I'd be interested to hear what you think of those albums from your point of view.

So after eons of getting acquainted with The Grand Wazoo, I think it's really grown on me and it's likewise fantastic. :tup Blessed Relief would be the only song I thought was just ok, but everything else was great, the title track, Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus and Eat That Question being clear highlights for me. I know I've not fully delved into his work, but Zappa is a clear genius.

Off to W/J next.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #591 on: June 09, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »
I bought Absolutely Free last week, and I'm preparing myself (hopefully) for an upcoming album discussion.

After I digest this, I'm hoping to pick up Lumpy Gravy. I won't be able to get EVERY album for any potential discussion (for obvious reasons) but I love what I'm hearing so far.  :tup
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: June 10, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
I just checked out Spotify for reference on how easy participation in the discog thread would be. I'm honestly shocked. They have damn near everything that we'd be covering. They have pretty much every studio album (I think. Nihil would probably be able to tell if any were missing), and quite a bit of live stuff. No bootlegs or anything, but they have all 6 YCDTOSAs and a lot of other stuff.

This is going to be fucking awesome.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 10, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »
I bought Absolutely Free last week, and I'm preparing myself (hopefully) for an upcoming album discussion.

After I digest this, I'm hoping to pick up Lumpy Gravy. I won't be able to get EVERY album for any potential discussion (for obvious reasons) but I love what I'm hearing so far.  :tup

Prepare yourself for some madness. Lumpy Gravy isn't called his magnus opus for nothing. It's a strange album, but you'll enjoy it after Freak Out, and Absolutely Free. If Lumpy was your third album after, say, You Are What You Is, and Sheik Yerbouti, then it would've been a much bigger shock.

And Ulti, I think that since there are that many albums on there, that every official release is on there. It would be strange if say 4 of the 99 were missing, I guess they've bought the rights, or however spotify does their business. I'm a teacher so I'll have a six week vacation starting in about 4 weeks, which will give me enough time to prepare!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
All I know is they have all the ones I have (44 now I think) and a LOT that I don't.