Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81705 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #490 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
I've been on a total Zappa high the last few days. I've tracked down some pretty nice bootlegs (A Snail in my Nose and Paralipolemi...) two good sounding early Flo & Eddie boots. Then I saw this on Zappa's facebook this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coG2EakB97g
 :heart

That's from the same show as The Dub Room Special with the '74 lineup. Awesome!!! I don't understand why the ZFT didn't release the entire show, at least from that one (the 1981 show is alright, but mixed with the 74 lineup, just sounds wrong, luckily there's only 2 tracks from that band on TDRS.)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #491 on: March 18, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
I'm constantly amazed by how Zappa managed to get so many incredible musicians together into a huge band and not have it collapse over conflicting egos. That video was really fun to watch even though I'm not all that familiar with the song. The stage presence is just great.

Well, then you've obviously not read about the '88 band and how it 'imploded' midtour due to jealousy, infighting and just plain inabillity to accept authority (any other than Frank's). You should look it up, it's pretty funny (and stupid).  ;D
I had not read that, though it does sound interesting. I had sort of assumed that every band was reasonably successful since I always see how great everything was with the '74 band, and from the research I've done I never noticed Frank to have any sort of feuds with band members or ex-band members.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline darkshade

« Reply #492 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »

Finally got around to listening to Playground Psychotics for the first time yesterday. It was enjoyable, had that Mystery Disc/Lost Episodes vibe with all the field recordings. However, the version of Billy The Mountain on there seemed superior to the original JABFLA version.

Been going through the albums I still need, so what are your opinions on the recent albums from the last few years?

Philly '76
Hammersmith Odeon
Carnegie Hall
Feeding the Monkies At Ma Masion
Road Tapes Vol. 1
Finer Moments

I have Finer Moments, and it is quite enjoyable album. I don't have any of the others above, though I've listened to HO once over a year ago. I don't like that Carnegie Hall has a Persuasions set before FZ's two shows, and it's a more expensive album, so I haven't been trying to get it in any rush.

I'm looking to get Buffalo but also another from the list above. Which would be the best one to get first?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #493 on: March 31, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
Only heard Finer Moments. I liked it, harkens to Weasels which  is pretty cool. The 2nd disc was mostly forgettable though, don't think it needed to be a double album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #494 on: March 31, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

Finally got around to listening to Playground Psychotics for the first time yesterday. It was enjoyable, had that Mystery Disc/Lost Episodes vibe with all the field recordings. However, the version of Billy The Mountain on there seemed superior to the original JABFLA version.

Been going through the albums I still need, so what are your opinions on the recent albums from the last few years?

Philly '76
Hammersmith Odeon
Carnegie Hall
Feeding the Monkies At Ma Masion
Road Tapes Vol. 1
Finer Moments

I have Finer Moments, and it is quite enjoyable album. I don't have any of the others above, though I've listened to HO once over a year ago. I don't like that Carnegie Hall has a Persuasions set before FZ's two shows, and it's a more expensive album, so I haven't been trying to get it in any rush.

I'm looking to get Buffalo but also another from the list above. Which would be the best one to get first?

Best to worst:
Cargnegie Hall
Hammersmith Odeon
Road Tapes
Philly
Finer Moments
Monkies (Only if you're into his synclavier stuff)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #495 on: March 31, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »

I absolutely LOVE Playground Psychotics - Flo and Eddie are in fine form throughout, and I agree that the PP version of Billy The Mountain could very well be superior to the JABFLA version.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: April 01, 2013, 02:33:29 AM »

I absolutely LOVE Playground Psychotics - Flo and Eddie are in fine form throughout, and I agree that the PP version of Billy The Mountain could very well be superior to the JABFLA version.

Make that the three of us. I don't really listen to the LA version anymore. Just PP or Carnegie.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #497 on: April 13, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
Has anyone seen Project/Object (Ike Willis, Ray White, Tom Fowler, Ed Mann)? They're playing at a venue that's like 10 minutes away from me so I'm thinking about checking them out. Is it worth the $18?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #498 on: April 13, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
Has anyone seen Project/Object (Ike Willis, Ray White, Tom Fowler, Ed Mann)? They're playing at a venue that's like 10 minutes away from me so I'm thinking about checking them out. Is it worth the $18?

Not sure. On Zappa.com people there say they're really good (and will play songs that Zappa Plays Zappa won't play, like some of the more offensive stuff, and the 80s stuff.)

Make that the three of us. I don't really listen to the LA version anymore. Just PP or Carnegie.

How is Carnegie Hall? I don't like how the opening band is featured on it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »

I have heard they put on a great show. I am gonna let my friends know they're playing in Jersey; they should go!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #500 on: April 13, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
Looks like I'll go!

I still need to see Zappa Plays Zappa. I missed the last two shows they played in CT (one was a festival appearance and I was on vacation during the other).

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #501 on: April 13, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
Yes you do! They put on such a fun show. I see them every time I can.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2013, 04:36:45 AM »

You don't? Well, I think it gives a nice complete view of the evening. And I love how such a close-harmony group was actually the opening act back then. And the Billy the Mountain version is nice. Not better than PP, but it is completer, with all the additional jams etc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »

You don't? Well, I think it gives a nice complete view of the evening. And I love how such a close-harmony group was actually the opening act back then. And the Billy the Mountain version is nice. Not better than PP, but it is completer, with all the additional jams etc.

I'll check it out eventually of course, I'm going through whatever posthumous albums I still need, but I was wondering how much of a priority it was to get Carnegie Hall. I just got a couple BTB albums like Electric Aunt Jemima and The Ark (well, actually the full show from Zappateers.com), and Buffalo, and I want to get Road Tapes Vol. 1 and Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison so I have a lot of Zappa listening to still do.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
https://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=971_62209

Roxy By Proxy coming September 20th. Looks like it's the real deal this time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
I'm almost excited about this, but not quite.  No track list, no real information.  I'll believe it when I see it, and at this point, I'll have to wait for reviews before buying it.  I simply don't trust Gail and the ZFT the way I did Frank, and cannot assume that this will be an amazing and awesome release.

But... it's good news and at least a step in the right direction.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
Fair enough. I've been happier with the ZFT since the remaster campaign. Finer Moments and Token Of His Extreme DVD were great gestures too. But I agree that the lack of tracklist is frustrating.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are liner notes by Ruth!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: July 31, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
So wait, before releasing the video of the show, they re-release the audio? I mean, I hope there are other tracks on here than on the original Roxy. No word on it being a double album either, so maybe it isn't the entire show. We'll see.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #508 on: July 31, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out exactly what "Roxy by Proxy" means.  It rhymes and is clever; I get that.  But almost no Zappa album title is without some kind of hidden meaning.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
From what I understand it's the complete Roxy show without the "elsewhere" portions. So I imagine the tracklist would be this: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frank-zappa/1973/the-roxy-west-hollywood-ca-bd025d2.html
Proxy probably just refers to people outside of ZFT have authority to distribute this.

So nothing we haven't heard already on Roxy or Helsinki, but I'm always up for a new recording of RDNZL!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »
From what I understand it's the complete Roxy show without the "elsewhere" portions. So I imagine the tracklist would be this: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/frank-zappa/1973/the-roxy-west-hollywood-ca-bd025d2.html
Proxy probably just refers to people outside of ZFT have authority to distribute this.

So nothing we haven't heard already on Roxy or Helsinki, but I'm always up for a new recording of RDNZL!

Oh Totally!

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
I'm looking to get into some Zappa, but his discography is so vast and intimidating that I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
I'm looking to get into some Zappa, but his discography is so vast and intimidating that I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
Apostrophe.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
Depends on what you want. If you want some mindblowing fusion and guitar playing, get Hot Rats. If you want some awesome rock songs, get Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe. What sort of music do you like?

I started with One Size Fits All. Not as acclaimed as the other classics from that era, but regardless, Inca Roads had me hooked from the start.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
I like prog and jazz, but I don't like really silly music; I prefer more serious, structured songs, which I know aren't always Zappa's thing.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
You definitely want Hot Rats then, no question. After that, get Waka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
Thanks guys!  :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
So.... Fucking... Excited for Roxy By Proxy. I could give two shits about the video, I want the MUSIC!!!

I like prog and jazz, but I don't like really silly music; I prefer more serious, structured songs, which I know aren't always Zappa's thing.

Actually, they're usually his thing, but he liked to sometimes have the silly stuff on top of the serious structured songs.

Personally, based on your tastes, you need these 10 Zappa albums. Pick and choose:

Over-nite Sensation
Apostrophe (')
One Size Fits All
The Grand Wazoo
Waka/Jawaka
Hot Rats
Roxy & Elsewhere
Make A Jazz Noise Here
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
Lather

Offline darkshade

« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
RBP is being released in September? Another reason it's going to be a great month.

Now all we need is the announcement for the upcoming Uncle Meat Project Object, '73 w/ JLP band live album, '88 band live album, and Dance Me This!!!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »
Lather is great but I wonder if it'd be too overwhelming for a new fan. Tons of material.

Also, and this is just personal opinion, I think the best material on Lather can (and should) be found on Zappa In New York.

I remember reading somewhere that the JLP album was gonna be the next Road Tapes installment. Dunno how true that is though.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #520 on: July 31, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
So.... Fucking... Excited for Roxy By Proxy. I could give two shits about the video, I want the MUSIC!!!

Actually, they're usually his thing, but he liked to sometimes have the silly stuff on top of the serious structured songs.

Personally, based on your tastes, you need these 10 Zappa albums. Pick and choose:

Over-nite Sensation
Apostrophe (')
One Size Fits All
The Grand Wazoo
Waka/Jawaka
Hot Rats
Roxy & Elsewhere
Make A Jazz Noise Here
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
Lather

Thanks a bunch!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »
Man I forgot how much I liked Waka/Jawaka. I really like the jazzy elements.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »

Yeah, if you dig prog One Size Fits All would be an excellent place to start. As far as silly stuff goes though, I think it's hard to find a Zappa album without some silly lyrics.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #523 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
True. And if you don't like silly, Overnite/Apostrophe probably aren't good starters.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #524 on: August 02, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
I'm listening Hot Rats all the way through right now... and damn is this amazing. Locing every second. Thanks for the recommendations guys  :tup