Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81661 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #385 on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
From what I found on the net, it looks like Ralph Humphrey was the drummer on the SAPB/FO'B movements (studio version, that is).

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
Apostrophe is god damn amazing. Seriously, it could very well be a top 10 album of all time for me by now.

It's just insane. The drumming, the musicianship in general, and all of the Zappa-ism nuggets on that album are really wow. So many people these days just don't get his music. I sent a few songs to my buddy the other day and he says "hey, this guy was like the original Weird Al". While on some levels he's right, I hope he breaks through that level of perception and can really enjoy FZ's music.
Humorous lyrics automatically degrades someone to Weird Al?

God damn...no wonder comedy rock bands have it rough.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline tofee35

« Reply #387 on: June 23, 2012, 05:23:36 AM »
Apostrophe is god damn amazing. Seriously, it could very well be a top 10 album of all time for me by now.

It's just insane. The drumming, the musicianship in general, and all of the Zappa-ism nuggets on that album are really wow. So many people these days just don't get his music. I sent a few songs to my buddy the other day and he says "hey, this guy was like the original Weird Al". While on some levels he's right, I hope he breaks through that level of perception and can really enjoy FZ's music.
Humorous lyrics automatically degrades someone to Weird Al?

God damn...no wonder comedy rock bands have it rough.

Haha, yea, and I only give my buddy that connection because I'm a Weird Al fan and recognize that he and his band are really good performers. He's picked up some of the Zappa-isms and applied them to his music. On the surface, though, it sounds like a bad connection to make for sure.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #388 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
I have a lot of respect for Weird Al.  His songs aren't just funny songs sung to the same tune as the original; they're true parodies.  He carefully copies the rhythm and rhyme structure, and keeps key words and lines for maximum comedic effect.  Since about the third album, he's added the component of getting the music as close as possible as well, and again only deviated from that in calculated places.  He also does one or two "style parodies" per album, where the song is clearly meant to sound like a particularly band or artist, but no specific song.  These, in my opinion, require even greater skill than writing a good parody song.

If you've never heard Weird Al's tribute to Frank Zappa, you should.  It's called "Genius in France".  Find it and listen to it.  At nearly ten minutes, it's the most complex and intricate of them all, as befitting its subject.  Weird Al never comes right out and says who it's for (he never does), but it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows Frank's work, and it's just as obvious that it's done with the utmost respect for Frank, which is not necessarily true of most of Weird Al's targets.

Frank rarely directly lampooned anything, and when he did, it was open mockery.  Other than the fact that both he and Weird Al wrote "funny songs" their styles and approaches are completely different.  And of course Frank has the "serious composer" side to him that I don't think we've ever seen from Weird Al.  Both of them are geniuses, though.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #389 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »
I have a lot of respect for Weird Al.  His songs aren't just funny songs sung to the same tune as the original; they're true parodies.  He carefully copies the rhythm and rhyme structure, and keeps key words and lines for maximum comedic effect.  Since about the third album, he's added the component of getting the music as close as possible as well, and again only deviated from that in calculated places.  He also does one or two "style parodies" per album, where the song is clearly meant to sound like a particularly band or artist, but no specific song.  These, in my opinion, require even greater skill than writing a good parody song.

If you've never heard Weird Al's tribute to Frank Zappa, you should.  It's called "Genius in France".  Find it and listen to it.  At nearly ten minutes, it's the most complex and intricate of them all, as befitting its subject.  Weird Al never comes right out and says who it's for (he never does), but it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows Frank's work, and it's just as obvious that it's done with the utmost respect for Frank, which is not necessarily true of most of Weird Al's targets.

Frank rarely directly lampooned anything, and when he did, it was open mockery.  Other than the fact that both he and Weird Al wrote "funny songs" their styles and approaches are completely different.  And of course Frank has the "serious composer" side to him that I don't think we've ever seen from Weird Al.  Both of them are geniuses, though.

Great post!  :tup I think you summed up the Weird Al connection to Zappa and this thread perfectly. "Genius in France" is definitely an awesome tribute too.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #390 on: June 25, 2012, 02:20:57 AM »
Great post! Although over here in Europe I always get the impression that Weird Al gets a lot less recognition.

Oh and last saturday I found the Piquantique album from (I believe) the first Beat The Boots series in a second hand cd's section. Great stuff, Stockholm 1973. Great setlist too: Kung Fu - Redunzl - Dupree's Paradise - T'Mershi Duween - Father O'Blivion.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #391 on: June 25, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Yeah, my impression is that Frank is much more admired and respected in Europe.  Here in the U.S., he's known for his humorous stuff and, towards the end, his political views and the fact that he was willing to take on "The Mothers of Prevention" and denounce them for the idiots they were.  There's not much recognition of his composer side outside of some esoteric music circles.

In general, not many take either Weird Al or Frank very seriously here.  It's understandable; they choose the type of work they would do, or it chose them, depending on how you look at it, and I'm sure they understand/understood it as well.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #392 on: June 25, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »
Great post! Although over here in Europe I always get the impression that Weird Al gets a lot less recognition.

Oh and last saturday I found the Piquantique album from (I believe) the first Beat The Boots series in a second hand cd's section. Great stuff, Stockholm 1973. Great setlist too: Kung Fu - Redunzl - Dupree's Paradise - T'Mershi Duween - Father O'Blivion.

On Zappateers you can download the soundboard (live album quality) of the show the majority of Piquantique came from, which sounds 1000x better than the sound quality presented in Piquantique, which is awful, plus you get more songs. I think T'Mershi Duween is from a different show.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #393 on: July 18, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »
Just felt like posting some more love for Absolutely Free. I never thought it was as great as Freak Out or We're Only in it For the Money, but now I've most certainly seen the error of my ways.

So, my Zappa odyssey hasn't made very many new acquisitions lately. I'm still pretty stuck on Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti (in that I can't get into them), and Apostrophe is still a completely flawless piece of awesome. I've got One Size and Over-Nite Sensation too, but I can't tear myself away from Apostrophe long enough to give them a fair shake.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #394 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
Sheik Yerbouti was a grower for me, but once it clicked it clicked HARD.

I will agree about Apostrophe' though. :metal

Offline tofee35

« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Just felt like posting some more love for Absolutely Free. I never thought it was as great as Freak Out or We're Only in it For the Money, but now I've most certainly seen the error of my ways.

So, my Zappa odyssey hasn't made very many new acquisitions lately. I'm still pretty stuck on Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti (in that I can't get into them), and Apostrophe is still a completely flawless piece of awesome. I've got One Size and Over-Nite Sensation too, but I can't tear myself away from Apostrophe long enough to give them a fair shake.

I have had that problem for 7 years only with Joe's Garage and the 90's comp Strictly Commercial. I listened to those albums so much and was frankly afraid to move on into the FZ repertoire. I had no idea where to start. I heard Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe were good, so I gave them a try. I still haven't heard anything from any other album. I'm obsessed with the two latest discoveries O-NS and A(')

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
You really can't go wrong with any of the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore compliations.  Quality stuff there, from all incarnations of Frank/The Mothers.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
Aside from a couple of songs, Joe's Garage and Shiek YerBouti were 2 albums I wasn't very much into when I was first getting into Zappa. They later became 2 of my favorite Zappa albums, after much time spent on other Zappa albums, and understanding the scope of the man's music.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #398 on: July 31, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
Picked up the new remaster of Freak Out! yesterday, wasn't sure what to get first so I decided best start at the beginning. I don't have the original CD to compare but it looks great. All the liner notes are there, still Zappa's mix, and the jewel case is nice. I am definitely satisfied, and I look forward to more of these. Also a nice little touch is that the sleeves number each release.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: July 31, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
I don't know what to think of it. I mean, I have some vinyls, some rycko cd's, and now there's another master.

I really guess it's more of a 'we own it again now' type action.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Mosh

« Reply #400 on: July 31, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »
Well I got into Zappa about a year ago, and the Ryko CDs are painfully hard to find in stores. I'm glad they will all be easily accessible now.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: August 01, 2012, 06:22:16 AM »
That's true. I'll buy a couple just to compare, but I don't have the cash to start all over again now, haha

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #402 on: August 02, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Mosh, I was gonna ask you how the new remaster of Freak Out! compared to the Ryko release and then read your most recent post.

Never mind. :lolpalm:

Offline Mosh

« Reply #403 on: September 28, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
Got an e-mail from the mailing list, really awesome stuff is in bold:

Dear People of Earth,

Here's what's thrilling:

1. It is Moon's Birthday today! And this morning I was lucky enough to have a cold breakfast with Moon and Mathilda - Ice Cream Cake and the sun wasn't even up yet. Yay!

2. I know I do not have to remind you that next December 2013 is the 40th Anniversary of the Roxy Performances. Now that we have thoroughly identified all it's parts and participles, we will deliver The Movie without further incident and maybe only a little ado. In theatres, DVD and Blue-ray, sometime before December, 2013.

3. MEANWHILE . . . before this December 2012, in anticipation of The ACTUAL Movie, we are pleased to inform you that we are scheduling the release of the PREQUEL to the actual Soundtrack. Yes. You will! Appreciate the raw unbridledness of the 75 minutes and 49 seconds of Roxy without the Elsewhere. Further details on The Movie and P.S. (Prequel Soundtrack) as soon as the duckies are all lined up.

4. Oh, and did I mention a new series is about to launch - Road Tapes - on Vaulternative Records! We've taken direct aim at Halloween!

5. Thank you.

xxx,

gz
:caffeine:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #404 on: September 28, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
Man, it's about time!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #405 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
Wow...one can not deny that when she does things, Gail does things thouroghly. That ´ll probably cost another arm and a leg.... 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline darkshade

« Reply #406 on: September 29, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
Yes! It's finally happening. The people who were at these shows are probably exploding from excitement.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #407 on: September 29, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »
The ones who are still alive, anyway.  :P

Roxy & Elsewhere was one of the first Zappa/Mothers albums I ever heard, and is still my favorite.  Pretty much the perfect combination of virtuoso playing, theatrics, humor, and social satire, plus Frank's spoken introductions.  I remember seeing a trailer for the movie years and years ago and went nuts for a while trying to find a copy.  I didn't even realize they'd made a movie, but since they had, I suddenly wanted to see it very badly.  So disappointing.  Now I realize why: The damned thing was never released!

And it still hasn't been, so I'm trying not to get too excited this time, either.  40 years later?  Really, Gail?  I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
Roxy & Elsewhere was one of the first Zappa/Mothers albums I ever heard, and is still my favorite.  Pretty much the perfect combination of virtuoso playing, theatrics, humor, and social satire, plus Frank's spoken introductions.

It's not the first album I heard by Frank/The Mothers, but it's definitely my favorite too - and for many of the same reasons.

40 years later?  Really, Gail?  I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, agreed.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2012, 03:02:07 AM »
Very, very cool. This could be the first official released show on video. I mean, instead of DHBIM and Baby Snakes, which are montages of all sorts of stuff. (unless I forget something right now)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
Well, there's the Dub Room Special, but it too is a montage of stuff, not a real concert video.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: October 02, 2012, 12:50:57 AM »
Ah yeah, I knew I forgot at least one. Well and there are a couple of unofficial DVD's like The Torture Never Stops, or Barcelona 88. But when I want to just watch Zappa's music being played live, I usually grab Zappa Plays Zappa.

And I hope there'll be a great alternative with the Roxy blu-ray!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #412 on: October 02, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »
And I hope there'll be a great alternative with the Roxy blu-ray!

I do too!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #413 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:47 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong; I would absolutely love to see it.  An actual concert video from Frank and Company, without claymation animations, backstage antics, rehearsal footage, etc., all mixed in.  I've waited for this literally for decades (I know it's been over 10 years, probably 20).  I'm just saying that I'm not getting my hopes up.  I'll believe it when I see it, and not before.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #414 on: October 02, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
^^ Pretty much that, yeah.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
Well the day the pre-sale goes up maybe.  ;)

But yeah, I get your point, it's still over a year away, and that could become two years in Gail's world in an instance.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #416 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
Another newsletter update:

Dear People of Earth who are interested in anything & everything concerning The Roxy Performances,

So you’ve always dreamt of being a music mogul and running your own record company, huh? But you ask yourself, “How could I get a Real Record Deal?” “I mean,” you say to yourself, “I think I could do this as well as anyone – I have important opinions to share.”  Well here’s your chance to be part of Zappa Music Business History and become an AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR of a Real (REAL!) Live (LIVE!) Zappa Record.  One more time for the world: Recorded by Zappa, Performed by Zappa, featuring some of your favorite Mothers, and Material, AND all under the Roof you’ve been waiting for:  The Roxy!  No ELSEWHERES about it.

What???  It’s True.  We here at Zappa Records are looking for a few good men and women – approximately 1,000 highly motivated, sensitive and discerning individuals – to sign up as Official Independent Distributors of a never-heretofore-released, thoroughly Authentic Zappa Master Recording.  And this is not just any thoroughly authentic Zappa Master Recording either. No, this is the one many of you have been beyond craving.  Please sit down to read this part:  This is the Roxy – the Soundtrack – yes, it is the introductory Soundtrack, the Prequel if you will – the Project/Object of your Dreams.  76 unadulterated minutes of fabulous frenzy await you.  And the opportunity of a life–time: Roxy By Proxy! Should it be determined that you become an Officially Licensed Authorized Zappa RBP Distributor, you can make as many copies of the record as you can possibly distribute – AND exce pt for reporting to us your sales & customers (just like any other record distributor) and paying us the publishing, YOU keep the money. AND you get to collect royalties from what is sold at Barfko-Swill AND you will also be entitled to a special wholesale price available to the OLAZRBPDs (Officially Licensed Authorized Zappa ROXY BY PROXY Distributor) exclusively.

Apart from being Official Release #96 this is a Music Biz First.  How is that you might well ask:  We figured you might like to participate in the wonderment so we have devised a way to let you in behind the scenes of every Artist’s necessity - a music distribution deal – but in this case we’ve cut to the chase. We need to get the record to you so why  shouldn’t you be part of the process?  You can help us help you by helping you help us.

So here’s the deal: getsome.zappa.com for all the information and the ACTUAL LICENSE.

Thanks in advance for your Consideration.

xxx,

gz

"Music is the Best!" ~FZ

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
What in the blazing shit is Gail talking about?  She makes it sound like an awesome opportunity! but it seems to me more like they need distributors or something.  Does she suck so badly at running a company that even now, after all these years, she hasn't figured out how to do it, or at least hire someone who does know how?

Also, this sounds like audio only.  The "master" recording.  Great.  Yay.  Where's the video?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #418 on: November 30, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
I guess that's what she means by prequel. Album comes out first, video later.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #419 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
wat
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.