Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 80699 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Roxy & Elsewhere.  That is always the next album you should listen to.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »
Speaking of which, where's that DVD?!  ;)
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
I'm listening to "We're Only in it for the Money" right now. This guy is a fucking nutcase.  :lol

So far, I've heard Freak Out!, Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch, Hot Rats, and this. I probably prefer them in that order, but I think this one might sit nicely beside Freak Out! if it keeps being this awesome. Where should I go next?

Well....the Zappa musiverse is so diverse, it all depends on where your interests lay. I remember hearing '200 motels' for the very first time, thinking 'That's it?' Boy, was I wrong. And for all references and hot poop: The Real Frank Zappa Book, people.

On topic: I just played the first three albums again after quite a while and was again amazed how well thought out these concepts all were. I mean, we're talking about the age before digital recording here. There must have been weeks spent on editting all those burps, quirks, and whatever it all is alone. But listen to the great instrumental interplay for instance on 'Mom & Dad', the piano, the guitar, bass and drums alone. Not to mention the fantastic lyrical content. 'Harry, you're a beast', 'Bowtie daddy' 'Let's make the water turn black' 'Flower pop'? Has there EVER been a more scathing satire about hippy-dom>? If you dig all that, I think you're ready to experience
Uncle Meat.  :eek

Also, for other great recordings of the first mothers, try 'Ahead of their time' and Burnt Weenie Sandwich'

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2011, 02:59:58 AM »
I've actually just listened to Ahead of their Time, again yesterday. Man they were great in that period, a bunch of randomness in the first half of the album, but the second half is just a good old mothers show.

But I totally can't wait for Carnegie Hall! 4 CD's of Flo & Eddie.

Oh and I've found the Roxy DVD, in a cradle beneath the Vatican, surrounded by poodles, funny cars and white persons.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2011, 03:10:51 AM »

Oh and I've found the Roxy DVD, in a cradle beneath the Vatican, surrounded by poodles, funny cars and white persons.

Yeah, not in our lifetime, mate....  :D

BTW, I'd love that Carnegie Hall release...goddamn my credit status...  :facepalm:

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:34 AM »
Oh yeah, I can't buy that either. I'm totally broke, and that's not good for a Zappa fan.
70-80 bucks for Philly 76, Hammersmith Odeon, Buffalo, OZ, Carnegie Hall... Man too much stuff to buy.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »
Can you believe those prices? I mean, I know it's good product, but come on....

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
Yeah I know.

BTW, get your one-eyed ass over in the 'Biggest fan' thread, I'm eager to see how big of a Zappa fan you are (I think you outscore me)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2011, 06:14:02 AM »
Yeah I know.

BTW, get your one-eyed ass over in the 'Biggest fan' thread, I'm eager to see how big of a Zappa fan you are (I think you outscore me)

Well....I knew you'd be surprised.....  :mehlin

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »
1! 2! 3! 4!

Randandandurandandandurandandandurandaa!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
Oh, btw, listened to the first disc of CPIII in the train, now I'll pop in disc two.

And yes, I'm still only at album 63 of my Zappathon.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »
Just posting to say, I have a few Zappa albums, but haven't even listened to them all yet.  However, I do consistently listen to Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage.

Sheik is just awesome and catchy and hilarious with a lot of great songs on it.

Joe's Garage is the same, but the story is pretty cool and the overall message and story about how music becomes outlawed and life just turns to shit makes you think a bit.

It's a way of liiiifeee.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »
Get You Are What You Is....you´ll love it.  Trust me.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
Yeah, totally, I always see Sheik and You Are as a duo.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
Word I'll check it out.  I also have burnt weeny sandwich.  I can't say I was too into it when I listened to it though.  Was totally different than the other stuff.  I think I need to check out some of his more fusion stuff.  When I saw ZPZ twice they were playing a lot of different stuff that I had never heard, but it was so awesome live.  I saw them play Apostrophe live and that was awesome.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:14 PM »
Listening to Roxy & Elsewhere right now. It's quite excellent so far.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
:tup

It is all excellent.  The last track, "Be-Bop Tango (of the Old Jazzman's Church)" may challenge you, but stick with it.  The payoff at the end is well worth it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »
Be-Bop is by far the highlight of the whole thing so far. The dancing segment is just amazing.  :metalol:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:38 AM »
Be-Bop is by far the highlight of the whole thing so far. The dancing segment is just amazing.  :metalol:

Be bop is beyond amazing, the theme of that song is so incredibly difficult to play.

Carl! Rick and Jane!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »
George, make them dance!

dit!

Now, now...

I love the way he gets everyone up at the end, turns on the house lights, then hits them with some solid R & B that just smokes.  What a way to end a show, send 'em out dancing and grooving.

Anything you wanna do
Is all right
You wanna do anything you wanna do
It's all right
Yeah
Because you know you came to the right place
Tonight
(gimme some of that wine, darlin'!)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »
Cheepnis. Man, I almost died laughing when I heard that.

Also, LOVE the guitar solo in Son of Orange Valley.  :metal

'She's just a pinguin in bondage, boyyyyy....'

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »
It's out today! Carnegie Hall, with a 46 minute version of Billy the Mountain on it.

Too bad I don't have any money.....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »
Argh, Have you heard the news?  :facepalm:Can't afford no shoes....

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »
I think I'm becoming somewhat of an addict. Between Zappa and Devin Townsend, they both cover enough ground that I'm not sure what else I would ever need to listen to.

Listening to We're Only In it For the Money again, and it's amazing that someone who hates the hippie culture so much managed to make better hippie music than the hippies themselves.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »
Zappa and Townsend is exactly what I'm listening to too. Although Devy's harder work is too hard for my tastes, I love to listen to Ghost as an alternative for the crazyness that is Zappa.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
The "You can't do that on stage anymore" discs are awesome.  I've been listening to Volume 3 (I think) and it's great.  Great live band.ß

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
It's out today! Carnegie Hall, with a 46 minute version of Billy the Mountain on it.

Whoa!  I must.

Too bad I don't have any money.....

Yeah, me too.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »
The "You can't do that on stage anymore" discs are awesome.  I've been listening to Volume 3 (I think) and it's great.  Great live band.ß

Most fun on stage, on that disc. The Hi Ho Silver sections are really awesome.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »

Most fun on stage, on that disc. The Hi Ho Silver sections are really awesome.

Oh my god I was loving those!  Everytime he said Hi Ho silver they all crack up and then I would start smiling.  Great stu- HI HO SILVERRRRR

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2011, 02:28:18 AM »
That's a barrel of laughs, that one, how about: 'Massimo!' in Nig Bizz? fighting your way through teargass, what fun!  ;D

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2011, 05:19:50 AM »
That's a barrel of laughs, that one, how about: 'Massimo!' in Nig Bizz? fighting your way through teargass, what fun!  ;D

Or the poetry section in the Don't Eat The Yellow Snow Suite on YCDTOSA1.

Or... the award for most fun goes to:

The Groupie Routine also on Stage 1. Much more fun version than the Do You Like My New Car? on Fillmore.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »
Do you guys know what that Hi Ho Silver thing was all about?  Is there any back story to that nonsense?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »
Do you guys know what that Hi Ho Silver thing was all about?  Is there any back story to that nonsense?

Yes, I believe the liner notes said it was a comic book hero. Or at least a line out of that comic book.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »
Sorry, apperantly it's from The Lone Ranger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDedUcmvgL8

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
´Masked man´s a fag´...  :laugh: