Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81276 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #805 on: April 28, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
Is there an official announcement on that yet? It sounded like it's also possible that they do a compilation of the shows or just select 1 or 2.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #806 on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »
The only thing official are from Adrian Belew's Facebook page:

"multi-tasking on the plane by writing liner notes for a new Zappa release.
oh, I should have mentioned it a new box set all 6 shows from halloween at the palladium in new york, 1978. 18 hours worth!
it's the shows the Baby Snakes movie was made from."

And then two quotes on how divided the Zappa community is by the Ahmet - Dweezil stuff.

"speaking of nasty: I devoted a few more hours today to the writing of the zappa liner notes and I'm now having second thoughts.
already I am reading divisive and somewhat nasty remarks from the hard core zappa types.
maybe I should just cater to my fans, who by comparison are a much friendlier bunch.
it seems like an ugly time to be involved in frank's universe.
I only agreed to write something because of my love and respect for the man himself and what he means to my life.
damned if you do, damned if you don't."

"...another tenet I have always held: once you commit there is no choice to be made. at some point soon I will finish the liner notes just as I committed to do.
but I want it publicly known it's only out of respect for Frank and the rest of us who made those performances happen. I have nothing to do with the current Zappa universe. my loyalty is only to the memory of Frank. I owe him a debt but I owe no one else."

So it seems that we actually do get all 18 hours worth of music. I could see them releasing a double album of all highlights, like Yes' 14 cd set of 7 the same shows. (although that actually had the same setlist every night, so that made a best of easier) Or even separate volumes and one big set.
But we'll have to wait and see.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #807 on: April 28, 2017, 11:47:51 AM »
Good call on Progeny, I could see them doing a 2 cd sampler and then the full set for the hardcore fans.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline darkshade

« Reply #808 on: April 28, 2017, 02:18:14 PM »
So I guess there's nothing left in the vault? Why aren't they releasing the hundreds of completed and partially-completed "new" Zappa compositions from the 80s and 90s first?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: April 28, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Well, yeah, I get why they would hold on to the Synclavier stuff a little longer. But I would've loved the series of Australian shows from summer 73 first. But yeah, there's a lot of good stuff. I do get the urge to release Baby Snakes shows though.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Mosh

« Reply #810 on: April 28, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
I haven't heard everything but I've actually been more impressed with the vault releases since Ahmet took over (another reason this family drama is annoying, it seems like Dweezil is the one getting fucked over but Ahmet has admittedly done a really good job with the ZFT stuff so far). But so far we finally got the Roxy movie, two really good Project/Objects, and some interesting live artifacts.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: May 20, 2017, 03:08:52 AM »
I rarely buy bootlegs, but I bought Puttin On The Ritz on vinyl a while ago. Finally checking it out and the band is on fire. Really cool to hear a full 'as-it-was' show of the 81 band. Most of the 80's live releases are so heavily overdubbed that it doesn't feel like a live release anymore. The instrumental bit in Jumbo Go Away is crazily fast!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #812 on: April 25, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »
Last night I went to the "Hologram" concert. I'm not a huge Zappa fan but I like what I've heard. I've been slowly checking out his music over the past few years. A friend of mine had an extra ticket. When we went to see Dream Theater a couple weeks ago, he mentioned this dude couldn't go so I said I'd go with him.

The "hologram" was kinda cool when it appeared but it was a rare occurrence. And "Frank's" guitar was loud as fuck, drowning out the keyboards and xylophone-type instrument. It was mostly an animated Frank Zappa on the screen. The animations were cool but it took attention away from the real musicians on stage and I did not like that. All the dudes on stage were Zappa Veterans who I've been watching on the old concerts on YouTube...except for the drummer.

Ahmet sang a couple songs I didn't know. I could've done without his antics. He talked a lot while introducing the musicians who were already introduced earlier. Nothing wrong with giving credit to these great musicians but it went on a little long.

On the bright side, the band sounded fucking phenomenal. Ray White's guitar was kinda drowned out. Mike Keneally really nailed Zappa's weird style. Scott Thunes' bass was always audible but not always distinct. Bobby Martin's keys weren't always audible nor was Ed Man's...xylophone-type instrument. Martin and White's vocals sounded good.

Overall it was a good experience. I was born in 1981 so obviously, I couldn't see Zappa himself play. It would've been cooler (and I believe more authentic) to catch a Zappa Plays Zappa concert but this was pretty good and it was great to see some of these Zappa Veterans in the Flesh.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #813 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:48 PM »
Sounds like there was more positive than negative about it.  Anyone who played with Frank, or can play his music, is a beast, and when you put that much talent together on a stage, it's gonna be a good show unless you really fuck it up.  Sounds like they didn't, or mostly didn't.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #814 on: April 28, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
No hologram for me but I did listen to Jazz From Hell again yesterday.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #815 on: April 28, 2019, 08:29:28 PM »
Jazz from Hell is awesome!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #816 on: December 04, 2019, 06:53:22 PM »
Frank left us 26 years ago today.

Frank Vincent Zappa
December 21, 1940 – December 4, 1993

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #817 on: December 05, 2019, 01:41:15 AM »
Whatever happened to the Zappa discography thread? I really miss that, it got up to 1984 or so and then stopped. That thread made me check out some albums I'd never heard before and turned me from someone who'd heard a bit of Frank's stuff over the years into a die hard fan. Ho Hum.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2019, 02:26:53 AM »
Frank left us 26 years ago today.

Frank Vincent Zappa
December 21, 1940 – December 4, 1993
REMEMBÀ ZAPPA!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #819 on: December 06, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »
I wish the album discussion thread would come back. :-[
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #820 on: December 06, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
we can make it happen. Where would you want me to start? (I'll preface this by saying that I don't own every album by him, not even all those who were released during his lifetime)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #821 on: December 06, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »
we can make it happen. Where would you want me to start? (I'll preface this by saying that I don't own every album by him, not even all those who were released during his lifetime)
Hot Rats. I'll be seeing Dweezil play it next month and don't know anything about it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #822 on: December 06, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
Hot Rats. I'll be seeing Dweezil play it next month and don't know anything about it.
ah right ok. I like it quite a bit. It features lots of things to love about Frank (musical sophistication, acerbic and satirical lyrics, Cpt. Beefheart features on it too, even a homage to Carlos Santana) and I guess it's the first one which featured his compostional technique called xenochrony (it's kind of an overdub with rhythms, google it, it's fun), Jean Luc Ponty features on violin as well. (as does Ruth Underwood on percussion along with Frank himself, we will see her on quite a few more albums)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #823 on: December 06, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
Nihil-Morari got all the way to #39: The Perfect Stranger before the Zappa Discography thread stalled out last year.  His later stuff is harder to follow and organize.  Do we really want to start the discography all over again?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #824 on: December 06, 2019, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm fine with anything you choose to do.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #825 on: December 06, 2019, 01:25:34 PM »
I was just hoping NM would pick up where he left off, but he kinda disappeared.  :-[

Anyone know what happened?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #826 on: December 06, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »
Oops.  I double-checked, and while the Zappa Discography Thread saw action last year, it's been over two years since NM posted in it, or any other thread.  Up to that point, he was active, then poof.  No idea.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #827 on: December 07, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »
I really want to see the Zappa discography discussion return. I've thought about PMing NM, maybe I did, I can't remember at this point.  :lol

But really, while I don't post here much I do read a lot and would love to help out any way I can.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #828 on: December 07, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
If nothing else, NM's reviews have been a big help to me as I've been going through and slowly buying the discography.   As it is, I have picked up albums 1-14 (Freak Out - Just Another Band from LA) and I already own a few others.   

I took a detour from buying them in chronological order and bought Lumpy Money and The Roxy Movie on a whim (I've listened to the music several times, but still haven't watched the movie.  Maybe I'll do that today).   But then I've taken a break since then.   I love nearly every note.   Some albums are a bit spotty, but every album has something I love on it. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #829 on: December 07, 2019, 10:47:09 AM »
If nothing else, NM's reviews have been a big help to me as I've been going through and slowly buying the discography.   As it is, I have picked up albums 1-14 (Freak Out - Just Another Band from LA) and I already own a few others.   

I took a detour from buying them in chronological order and bought Lumpy Money and The Roxy Movie on a whim (I've listened to the music several times, but still haven't watched the movie. Maybe I'll do that today).   But then I've taken a break since then.   I love nearly every note.   Some albums are a bit spotty, but every album has something I love on it.
yes, go ahead, it's a great film IMHO (and a very worthy companion to Roxy And Elsewhere as well). I love it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #830 on: December 07, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »
The Roxy Movie is great.  I went ahead and bought it and I'm glad I did. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #831 on: January 04, 2020, 06:29:14 AM »
I'll admit I'm slacking in my exploration of his work, but there's so much of it that it can be tough.

But this morning I listened to Studio Tan for the first time. Boy, what an experience. To this day there's really nothing like this.

Adventures of Gregory Peccary is fun, quirky and well made, but not my cup of tea. I theroughly enjoyed Revised music for Guitar and RDNZL though.

So many more albums to go  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #832 on: January 04, 2020, 06:53:01 AM »
I'll admit I'm slacking in my exploration of his work, but there's so much of it that it can be tough.

But this morning I listened to Studio Tan for the first time. Boy, what an experience. To this day there's really nothing like this.

Adventures of Gregory Peccary is fun, quirky and well made, but not my cup of tea. I theroughly enjoyed Revised music for Guitar and RDNZL though.

discovering Frankie is a great ride (and thoroughly enjoyable, at least for me), have fun exploring. I love Studio Tan entirely btw

Offline jammindude

« Reply #833 on: January 04, 2020, 09:35:23 AM »
Is anyone getting the new Hot Rats re-release?   It looks really awesome, and I only own the old Ryko version (not remastered) so I was thinking of plopping down the $$$. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #834 on: January 04, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
I hadn't heard anything about it before now.  Frank liked to twiddle with things.  The original CD wasn't exactly the same as the original vinyl, so if this is from the same mix (or master or whatever) then it'll bug me every time I hear it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #835 on: January 05, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
I do wish the ZFT would release more complete live shows in their Vaulternative series, releasing anniversary editions of albums we've already got is all well and good, but I want more live stuff, something from the 88 tour would be ideal!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #836 on: January 05, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
I just checked and it looks like the album proper is the 1987 mix on disc 5.   But everything else in the set seems to me a mixture of some jams along with what basically amounts to floor sweepings.   

I guess the set also comes with a board game.   Seems a bit gimmicky.   But some of the jam sessions sound like they could be cool. 

https://store.zappa.com/the-hot-rats-sessions-box-set-preorder.html

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #837 on: January 08, 2020, 08:22:16 PM »

discovering Frankie is a great ride (and thoroughly enjoyable, at least for me), have fun exploring. I love Studio Tan entirely btw

I like studio Tan as well. Gregory Peccary is a riot..Hello Gladys....Mildred...  :lol Let me take you to the beach is great too, complete with bongos jam by Don Brewer of Grand Funk.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #838 on: January 08, 2020, 09:36:12 PM »
I love the bongos in Let Me Take You to the Beach!  With all the crazy-ass percussion that shows up in Frank's music, we don't get bongos a lot.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: January 09, 2020, 05:45:28 AM »
Studio Tan is awesome. Frank is bitchin'. Music is the best.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens