Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81309 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:37 AM »
Heh.  I love The Groupie Routine. :lol

And yes, there is most definitely a version of Torture on 1 - second disc, second song.  Haven't heard the Best Band version, I'll have to be on the lookout for that.  And, of course, there's Torture permutations all over Sheik Yerbouti.

Forgot to give major props to Yellow Snow though - that version is legendary. :lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2012, 04:17:11 AM »
Oh wow, I guess I have some old badly ripped version on my hard disc, I had to check my cd, but you're right.

But you should check that out, it's got all the Jimmy Swaggart puns in it, totally cool, and the actual song is played great.

Do you happen to know 'Australian Yellow Snow' too? That's off of 'One Shot Deal', totally different version, but very cool tool.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:09 AM »
I was on a Zappa kick about a month ago, and wound up going on Zappateers and getting a few shows from my favorite lineups. All soundboard, so they pretty much sound like a live album. I got one that features the Roxy lineup, one that is similar to the Buffalo lineup, and the show that is featured on Zappa's own bootleg series "Piquantique" with Jean-Luc Ponty; except the audio is exceptionally good, as opposed to the bootleg. Highly recommended.

Between all the shows, and other official live albums, I heard Cosmik Debris from every lineup. Different each time of course, but I think I got overload on that song  ::)

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »
Oh wow, I guess I have some old badly ripped version on my hard disc, I had to check my cd, but you're right.

But you should check that out, it's got all the Jimmy Swaggart puns in it, totally cool, and the actual song is played great.

Do you happen to know 'Australian Yellow Snow' too? That's off of 'One Shot Deal', totally different version, but very cool tool.

I'm obviously going to have to check both of those out - should be right up my alley. :biggrin:

Between all the shows, and other official live albums, I heard Cosmik Debris from every lineup. Different each time of course, but I think I got overload on that song  ::)

I like the "but I've got a sillllllver ball" version - I think it's from You Can't Do That 3?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
How about the "Best Band..." version? "BUT I GOT THE RING OF FIRE!"  :lol

The studio version of that line is classic, of course.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »
I'm gonna have to spin that. :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
I'm gonna have to spin that. :lol

What, the Best Band version?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
Yep - I've only heard the Hi Ho Silver version. :blush

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life is awesome!  I love the psychotic cover of "Stairway to Heaven".

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
I totally need to spin that now.  Zappa covering Stairway is legendary, from what I've heard.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #360 on: June 07, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
According to the story, Frank had excused himself from rehearsal to use the bathroom and/or get some more coffee.  When he returned, he found that the band had been amusing themselves by playing "Stairway to Heaven".  Frank listened to a bit and said "That's nice, what is that?"

I don't want to give too much away, but let's just say that their cover of "Stairway" is not like the other covers on that album, and I believe that that reflects how Frank really felt about the song.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #361 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
The best part is the entire horn section playing the guitar solo. I listen to Frank's version a ton more than I do the original.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #362 on: June 07, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
I gave Absolutely Free another shot. Liking it much more this time around. Brown Shoes Don't Make It is probably the best Zappa song I've heard pre-1973.

I WANNA MAKE HER DO A NASTY ON THE WHITE HOUSE LAWN
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #363 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
I gave Absolutely Free another shot. Liking it much more this time around. Brown Shoes Don't Make It is probably the best Zappa song I've heard pre-1973.

I WANNA MAKE HER DO A NASTY ON THE WHITE HOUSE LAWN

Be a joik and go to woik! :lol

Absolutely Free is completely awesome. :coolio

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #364 on: June 08, 2012, 02:37:40 AM »
'..my fellow Americans..*cough cough*' He's been sick..."
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline darkshade

« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
I haven't listened to any of the 60s stuff in a long time, especially Absolutely Free. That, and Uncle Meat are probably my favorites of that era.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #366 on: June 09, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »
'..my fellow Americans..*cough cough*' He's been sick..."

Plastic people
Oh baby, now you're such a drag!

:lol

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: June 09, 2012, 05:12:03 AM »
There's such an amount of plain humor on that album. Litteraly one of the only albums that can make me laugh out loud almost the entire time.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #368 on: June 09, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
The Duke of Prunes through Soft-Cell Conclusion and America Drinks through America Drinks & Goes Home are all classic examples of Zappa comedy.

And yes, humor DOES belong in music. :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #369 on: June 12, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
E-mail from the Zappa mailing list that I received today:
Dear people of earth & all the rest of you too,

I have long been so out of fashion - my python boot is too tight (I am sure you know the feeling when you have to kick some ass), my Law Suit is old and worn and shiny from so much pressing - my hair is tangled up in gray but I have to say, this is for you. Thanks. Wherever you are, whoever you've been, thank you for the energy in the direction of Frank Zappa and the love of his music. This is our common ground. Thanks. There is much more to come but we start at the VERY beginning. Wear your ears proudly. "Music is the Best!" - FZ.

xxx,

gz

------------------------------------------------

TIME TO FREAK OUT… FRANK’S BACK!

ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST REGAINS CONTROL OF ICONIC MUSICIAN’S EXTENSIVE CATALOG

GLOBAL LICENSE/DISTRIBUTION DEAL SIGNED WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES

CATALOG OF 60 RECORDINGS TO BE LAUNCHED WITH JULY 31 RELEASE OF 12 TITLES

Back home where it belongs, the music of FRANK ZAPPA is now back in the hands of the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST.

To celebrate this, the estate has signed a global license and distribution deal with UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES to release 60 of the iconic composer’s recordings. The roll-out kicks off July 31 with 12 recordings, with another dozen recordings to be released monthly through the end of 2012.

“The ink is not yet dry on The Zappa Family Trust's worldwide deal with Universal Music Enterprises,” says Gail Zappa. “They made us the offer we couldn't refuse--for all the right reasons. It is a win-win for all of us, but mostly for Frank Zappa. Long may his baton wave. We are so ready to go.”

“The artist and composer, Frank Zappa, is one of the most important and influential artists in music history with his prolific body of work, including his breakthrough rock ‘n roll concept albums. We are honored that Gail Zappa and the Zappa Family Trust have entrusted us with his legacy. We intend to honor him and bring high quality releases, digital and physical, for his new and longtime fans,” said Bruce Resnikoff, President/CEO, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

Now fully back in hands of the Zappa Family Trust--headed by Zappa’s widow Gail Zappa--the releases will honor the iconic legacy of the composer, musician, bandleader and filmmaker. ZAPPA was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997 (although the family would like to know where it is). The official biography: Frank Zappa, American composer, 1940-1993.

The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa's own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records. Many of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. Yes that's right, you heard right. The entire Catalog, in all its spiffnificent glory will launch July 31, just in time for Frank Zappa’s daughter DIVA’s birthday-- an occasion that will be celebrated along with GAIL, sister MOON UNIT and brothers DWEEZIL and AHMET.

For more information, go to www.zappa.com.

The initial 12 FRANK ZAPPA releases included in the ZAPPA/ UNIVERSAL deal set for July 31 are as follows. **Date signifies original year of release.

1. Freak Out! (1966)
2. Absolutely Free (1967)
3. Lumpy Gravy (1968)
4. We're Only In It For The Money (1968)
5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets (1968)
6. Uncle Meat (1969)
7. Hot Rats (1969)
8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1970)
9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)
10. Chunga's Revenge (1970)
11. Fillmore East, June 1971 (1971)
12. Just Another Band From L.A. (1972)

###
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
Whoa, good news!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
Hmm.  This would effectively render the 1993 Ryko reissues null.  I wonder if they'll go back to the masters, especially for Roxy and Sheik Yerbouti.  Could be very interesting indeed.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2012, 01:18:53 AM »
As nice as it is that they're preserving his music, this just feels like another 'cash-in' to me. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:21 AM »
Yeah, it is, just kinda dressed up.  But if it means that the music will sound better and/or we get some bonus tracks or something, then it's a good thing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
As nice as it is that they're preserving his music, this just feels like another 'cash-in' to me.

Honestly, this was my first reaction.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
So I have to sell my 45 ryko cd's?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
Yes, all of them.  To me.  For a dollar apiece.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
Dammit.

To you?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:42 PM »
If it helps, I'll cover shipping, too.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
 :lol

Nah, today I bought 'You are what you is' on vinyl. I forgot about the totally extreme middle bit in Jumbo Go Away, it's crazy!

Offline tofee35

« Reply #380 on: June 21, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »

So, I love St. Alphonzo's into Father O'Blivion... just two phenomenal pieces of music. The live versions all over youtube are stellar. 

I'm a drummer and have always failed miserably when attempting to learn a FZ song. I thought it'd be a good challenge to play St. Alphonzo since it's so rhythmically driven. After a bunch of takes, this was my best. The stickings for some of the parts were really difficult for me (especially at the end). Does anybody know who's playing these songs on the album? It sounds like two drummers at times. There are 3 drummers listed as playing on Apostrophe, so I'm not sure who it is on St. Alph/Father O'B.

I'm thinking I want to challenge myself to really dissect and learn these parts perfectly and well enough to be able to improvise around a bit. Maybe I'll try all of Apostrophe('). It's just fun. Anyway, I hope y'alls enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQNRYaPydg

Don't be afraid, the video and sound quality aren't bad.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #381 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »
Apostrophe is god damn amazing. Seriously, it could very well be a top 10 album of all time for me by now.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: June 22, 2012, 02:51:19 AM »
Cool cover! You gotta work on your timing on the 16th and 32th notes a bit though, especially since you want to do the entire album. But that's just a small thing!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #383 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:14 AM »

So, I love St. Alphonzo's into Father O'Blivion... just two phenomenal pieces of music. The live versions all over youtube are stellar. 

I'm a drummer and have always failed miserably when attempting to learn a FZ song. I thought it'd be a good challenge to play St. Alphonzo since it's so rhythmically driven. After a bunch of takes, this was my best. The stickings for some of the parts were really difficult for me (especially at the end). Does anybody know who's playing these songs on the album? It sounds like two drummers at times. There are 3 drummers listed as playing on Apostrophe, so I'm not sure who it is on St. Alph/Father O'B.

I'm thinking I want to challenge myself to really dissect and learn these parts perfectly and well enough to be able to improvise around a bit. Maybe I'll try all of Apostrophe('). It's just fun. Anyway, I hope y'alls enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQNRYaPydg

Don't be afraid, the video and sound quality aren't bad.

Dude.  WOW.  That was awesome! :clap: :hefdaddy

Offline tofee35

« Reply #384 on: June 22, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
Cool cover! You gotta work on your timing on the 16th and 32th notes a bit though, especially since you want to do the entire album. But that's just a small thing!

You're spot on. I'm hoping that learning the whole album will encourage me to work on timing and the rudiments in general. Whenever I sit down to play the drums, I never actually practice anymore, it's all jamming to my favorite tunes. I really need to sit down and practice to get Zappa's catalogue in my repertoire. I can't even touch any of Vinnie Colaiuta's stuff. He's so groove and feel oriented.

So, do you happen to know who's playing drums on SAPB/FO'B on Apostrophe? They list Ralph Humphrey, Jim Gordon, Johnny Guerin, and Aynsley Dunbar as players on the album.

Apostrophe is god damn amazing. Seriously, it could very well be a top 10 album of all time for me by now.

It's just insane. The drumming, the musicianship in general, and all of the Zappa-ism nuggets on that album are really wow. So many people these days just don't get his music. I sent a few songs to my buddy the other day and he says "hey, this guy was like the original Weird Al". While on some levels he's right, I hope he breaks through that level of perception and can really enjoy FZ's music.

DebraKadabra, thanks alot!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:41:27 AM by tofee35 »