Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81570 times)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:03 AM »
What's everybody's favorite ZFT/posthumous Zappa album?

Currently I've listened to about 21 of them, means I've missed about 6. My top picks would be:

Lather
A Memorial Tribute
OZ
Joe's Corsage
Quadiophiliac
Buffallo
Hammersmith
Feeding Mah Monkies
Carnegie Hall

And there's a lot of obscure material, like Joe's Domage, of which I can't find a clue of why it is released, to be honest.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I only have Läther out of all of those, and I haven't managed to get through it.  As I mentioned upthread, I'm having trouble embracing the posthumous releases.  Partly because I see them as little more than money-grabs by Gail & Company, partly because Frank had no hand in selecting or editing the music on them (for obvious reasons, but still), and partly because I'm kinda burnt out on Frank.

From what's been said here, though, Feeding Mah Monkies sounds interesting due to the "tasteful" Synclavier work, and Carnegie Hall sounds fun because of the 40-something minute version of "Billy the Mountain" which is probably my favorite "epic" from the early years.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Yeah, I see what you mean, but I must say that a couple of those posthumous releases were actually edited and compiled by Zappa himself. But you're right, most of em are sort of like an audio-encyclopedia, for fans only, and a couple even for collectors only.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Jonnycumlately

« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2011, 11:48:06 PM »
Saw Zappa three times including this seat that was right under his left foot and with to me the best line up he had.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »
73! What a year for Frank!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2011, 01:34:41 AM »
Wow!  That would've been something to see.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »
Wow!

Offline Jonnycumlately

« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
Wow!  That would've been something to see.
Hard to believe its almost forty years ago. Many people have called the '73 line up the best that he put together - it was certainly amazing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »
My favorite lineup for sure.

Let's face it; everyone who played with Frank was top-shelf.  He wouldn't have it any other way.  But something about that band, and maybe also the times, the material they had to work with, and everything else, really came together.

Anything you want to do... is all right

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
My favorite lineup for sure.

Let's face it; everyone who played with Frank was top-shelf.  He wouldn't have it any other way.  But something about that band, and maybe also the times, the material they had to work with, and everything else, really came together.

Anything you want to do... is all right

:heart
It was you who posted the love of that part of Roxy right? Ever since you've said that, it has been growing to be my favorite piece of music ever written.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #290 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
Yeah, I think I've raved about Roxy & Elsewhere way too many times, in this thread alone.  Easily my favorite Zappa/Mothers album of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
A full week's supply of D'artangian onion rings!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2012, 06:06:06 AM »
So let's start the speculations. What's the next release gonna be?

Orrrr, something I've been thinking about for a while, since official release #100 is coming into sight, what kind of monster work is that gonna be?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
I think Ive also raved about Roxy a lot. Lather too. Both those albums, along with Waka/The Grand Wazoo and the trio of Overnite/Apostrophe/One Size are the crème de la crème of 70s Zappa albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Number 100? It could be disappointing...

or it could be the Live at the Roxy full box set of 2 DVDs and 3 CDs

But they should release that sooner than when they reach release #100

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
Well, Roxy is kinda the obvious answer, right? But I so hope for that to be the next release.

Oh my Zappa marathon is at 86 - Philly now. And I must say that both making of's (MOFO and Project/Object) are not too great. Apart from the original version of Lumpy Gravy, there is practically nothing to bother about. The 84 version of We're Only In It... is totally awful.
Imagine the Ruben & The Jets remix with new drums and bass, but worse. Scott Thunes just ripps apart every tiny break there is, with some obnoxious bass fill.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2012, 04:13:46 AM »
My 2nd ever Zappa album just came in the mail yesterday. One Size Fits All.

And I must say that this album is truly incredible. Its like going on a musical journey and I have never heard anything like this in my life. Absolutely amazing  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
Yay!  The was the first Zappa/Mothers album I ever heard.  It was the "Midnight Album Hour" on the local AM radio station back in the 70's.  I still remember "Po-Jama People" and "Evelyn, A Modified Dog" cracking me up.  I was 13 and in junior high.  No wonder I turned out so demented.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:16 AM »
Haha! I remember that I heard a couple of the most well known Zappa albums very late.
I knew most of the You Can't Do That- series well before I heard Over-nite and One Size. Well, that turned out good as well, cause YCDTOSA Vol. 2 is great live alternative for those albums and that band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2012, 07:03:12 AM »
True, but it's good to know the original source material, as it helps gives perspective regarding where the live versions came from.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2012, 07:12:47 AM »
Oh totally! My route has been weird, but naming your live compilations 'You can't do that on stage anymore', grabbed my attention so much in such a vast discography, that I couldn't resist to listen to that first.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »
I must be a lot older than you (which is true of most other posters here, so I guess it's not surprising) because those compilations came "later" to me.  I think even the "Beat the Boots" series predated them, didn't they?

A lot of the fun of a new Zappa/Mothers release was... well, first finding out that it had happened in the first place, as this was pre-Internet. Then figuring out what "kind" of album it was. Was it live, studio, or a mixture? Was it instrumental, crazy stuff with vocals, jazzy, electronic, or what? You never knew for sure, and all you could do was guess.

The first Zappa album I bought was Sheik Yerbouti, which was a hybrid album. The liner notes were extensive, and included whether each track was recorded live or studio, if there were overdubs or not, or just a few, where it was recorded, and sometimes who played what. There are pieces that were literally composed in the editing phase. The bass track from one recording extricated and synched with the drum track from another to form a duet, and in the notes he points out that "all that sensitive interplay never actually occurred".  Holy shit!  It was like a glimpse into the mind of a musical sculptor or something, someone who didn't just write, perform, and record music, but actually created it, and invented his own methods for creating it.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »
The liner notes of Sheik are great, I've read those with joy as well, the album itself is very non-personal, in my opinion, but seeing into the mind of the master makes the album more vulnurable.
Oh and how I'd love to live in a pre-internet world sometimes. I got to know Zappa via my uncle, who fave me (off the top of my head) Sheik and Stage 3. No wait, Roxy too! But after that I downloaded everything and wiki'd all those albums even before listening to them. Some I got very interested in, I guess based on reviews that I read, and I omitted others, up until I recently did my Zappathon.

Oh and the Beat The Boots sets are from 91 and 92, so about the same time as the second set of 3 'Stage series'. 

And I'm from '89, so you're probably twice as old as I am  ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
Actually more than twice as old.  But it's not the age, it's the mileage.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
So Joost, how is ´Philly´ btw? I´m dying for some ´new´ Zappa...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2012, 08:05:18 AM »
Actually more than twice as old.  But it's not the age, it's the mileage.

Exactly!

So Joost, how is ´Philly´ btw? I´m dying for some ´new´ Zappa...

Well.... I think my recommendations for 'new' Zappa records (2002-2012) are this:

1. Very good records, definitely worth checking out:
OZ
QUAdiophilliac
Buffalo
One Shot Deal
Philly 76
Hammersmith
Feeding The Monkies at ma Mansion
Carnegie Hall

2. Worth checking out, because of the historical-ness
Joe's Corsage
Joe's XMASage
Joe's Menage
Lumpy Money Project/Object

3. Worth checking out, just great music
Halloween
Imaginary Diseases
Dub Room Special
Wazoo

4. Not worth checking out/for the real collectors only
Joe's Domage
Trance-Fusion
MOFO
Greasy Love Songs
Congress Shall Make No Law

All of those 'category 1' records are band/live albums, with the exception of Monkies, that's some of his best synclavier work he's ever done.
But really, you can't go wrong with Philly, OZ, Buffalo, Hammersmith, Carnegie, QUAdiophilliac (great audio quality) or One Shot Deal (lots of great guitar solo's)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »
OK, thanks. I already have Oz, btw, but this definitely sifts through the rubble.

Now to save some cash... :justjen
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #307 on: March 16, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »
I watched the Classic Albums documentary about Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation. I had heard Apostrophe once or twice before, but the doc was so entertaining that I decided to get Over-Nite Sensation as well. Fantastic stuff.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: March 16, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
I watched the Classic Albums documentary about Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation. I had heard Apostrophe once or twice before, but the doc was so entertaining that I decided to get Over-Nite Sensation as well. Fantastic stuff.

True! That is the one where Dweezil has the original tapes and shows the camera the different parts in Zomby Woof right? Very very entertaining!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »

True! That is the one where Dweezil has the original tapes and shows the camera the different parts in Zomby Woof right? Very very entertaining!
I really enjoyed the xylophone player's comments on how a lot of the stuff he wrote used sus2 chords instead of the normal triad. That was something I never really picked up on until I started to really look for it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #310 on: March 16, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
So, on the subject of Over-Nite and Apostrophe, which one do you guys think is better?

I'd pick Over-Nite. Near perfect album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »
I love both Over-Nite Sensation and its sibling One Size Fits All, but Apostrophe has the Nanook suite, Cosmik Debris, and the title jam, so it wins.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: March 17, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »
Tough call for me. I've only heard them each a few times. Over-Nite has Dinah-Moe-Hum which has to be one of the funniest songs I've ever heard, but like Orbert said, the Nanook suite and Cosmik Debris is tough to argue with.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: March 17, 2012, 06:11:18 AM »
For me, of those three it's Apostrophe first, then One Size Fits All as a close second, and while Over-nite Sensation has the best live songs on it (I think), it's my least favorite of the three.

But of course the live album of that period, Roxy and Elsewhere, rocks like hell.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #314 on: March 17, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »
Po-Jama People always cracks me, and has that great solo.  Evelyn, a Modified Dog also kills me, for some reason.  I'm the Slime is fun.  There are so many great songs from that era.  It's hard to rank them for me; I just did it in response to what Mosh said.  Pretty much everything that band did was incredible.