Author Topic: Stevie Wonder Appreciation Thread  (Read 745 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Stevie Wonder Appreciation Thread
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:27:14 PM »
I know there has to be some fans here.

I have to be in the right mood for this kind of stuff, but he has some great stuff.  I remember seeing a rendition of Living for the City like 20 years on VH1 Classic and being amazed at how great it was (I was only familiar with a few of his hits prior to that).  I eventually got Innervisions, the studio album it is from, which is really damn good.  I eventually got Talking Book as well, which is mostly very good.  And I just got my hands on his double album classic, Songs in the Key of Life, which sounds loaded with good tunes.

Offline Bentower

Re: Stevie Wonder Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 02:15:29 AM »
His '74 album Fulfillingness' First Finale is a great one as well. The two other ones I dig quite a bit are Music of My Mind (from '72) and Hotter Than July ('80).

Stevie is my idol. I don't use that word, nor the g-word that follows, lightly. He is a rare kind of musical genius, a composer/multi-instrumentalist extraordinare. His music exhumes heart and soul.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 04:39:50 AM »
I know there has to be some fans here.

I have to be in the right mood for this kind of stuff, but he has some great stuff.  I remember seeing a rendition of Living for the City like 20 years on VH1 Classic and being amazed at how great it was (I was only familiar with a few of his hits prior to that).  I eventually got Innervisions, the studio album it is from, which is really damn good.  I eventually got Talking Book as well, which is mostly very good.  And I just got my hands on his double album classic, Songs in the Key of Life, which sounds loaded with good tunes.
Innervisions and SITKOL are my alltime favourites by him (both in general and in the context of his classic album series, which is what I consider is starting from Music Of My Mind up until Hotter Than July.), I'll mention this album on my thread as well. Great songs all around. One of my heroes. (although admittedly, I rarely listen to him nowadays)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:13:24 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 07:17:53 AM »
Not really a fan, which means I never bought any of his albums.  However, I can still appreciate everything I heard on the radio.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »
I have Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life. Both magnificent albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
Stevie Wonder is an artist I sorely need to listen to. I love everything I've heard, but have never heard a full album. I'm going to play Songs in the Key of Life tonight and get back to this thread.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:55:03 AM »
Innervisions is a fab album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »
I think Superstition is a GREAT song, and I think there's another one of his songs from that same era that I've heard and liked.  But the stuff I heard on MTV in the early/mid-80s was awful.

The stuff he did with Eddie Murphy on SNL (e.g., "Cottonland") was AWESOME!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
saw him perform the complete Songs in the Key of Life back in 2015 with my wife.

Epic show  :tup :tup

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
One of the all-time greats! He had a run there from Music Of My Mind to Hotter Than July (maybe except the "Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants" soundtrack) that is hard for anyone to top.

His last album "A Time To Love" had some strong songs on it but also some not so great.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
Sir Duke is a fucking master class.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »
Sir Duke is a fucking master class.
which might actually be an understatement (and IMHO, As is as well, including Herbie Hancock's solo in it)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »
Fulfillingness' First Finale and Music of My Mind are next on my list to get, as I've heard that 1972-1976 was his peak, and those will be the two albums from that era I still need, but it looks like a few here are extending that through Hotter than July (1980).  I will see how these others go and decide how much I want to keep digging.  :hat:

I gave Songs in the Key of Life another spin today (eventually, some in the car, some at work), and that record is definitely as good as the hype.  Great, great stuff.   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 06:11:59 PM »
Shaq claims Stevie can see  :laugh: :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGe0ONhBq8