Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 100720 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #805 on: March 02, 2021, 11:57:13 PM »
I'm still not sure what I think of this album, but in general I'm a fan of Tom's voice (except with Redemption :p)

I like his vocals on The Inner Circle, Recreation Day, etc the most, but he sounds good now too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #806 on: March 03, 2021, 12:11:21 AM »
I want to like this band, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that Tom sounds like a sad, Swedish Michael Bolton.  It’s that same overwrought, emotional delivery but with Tom, that emotional delivery is generally a melancholic malaise.  I would actually love to hear Evergrey do a gloomy version of When a Man Loves a Woman.

Fact? Nope your opinion and it's the first time I've seen that, had me chuckling just a little  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: April 05, 2021, 03:29:27 AM »
So, I really really like this new album. This one has a bit of a different direction again, which I can appreciate.  Very depressive with lots of atmosphere and moodiness going on.  Tom's lyrics since he and his wife broke up seem to be getting more troubling also.

Someone mentioned earlier about the riffing.  Yeah, their riffing is all starting to sound the same.  The title track is the exact same riff as A Silent Arc.  I hope they mix this aspect up a little.  I'd love to hear some songs go back to the six string and standard or drop D tuning.  The low A stuff I think they are in does tend to blend and mesh together a bit.

However, I really like everything on here.  The balance between the rockier songs and darker slower numbers works well.  Wasn't keen on The Beholder at first, but I love it and James sounds great on it.  My fav track is probably Eternal Nocturnal.  Amazing melodies and great classic solos.  Not enough Tom soloing on this again but Henrik rips.  That solo section of the title track is possibly the heaviest moment of their career.  Really mature album with some great songwriting and a bit different.  I get vibes from all their stuff really.  A lot of Glorious Burden vibes actually which I don't mind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #808 on: April 05, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
So, I really really like this new album. This one has a bit of a different direction again, which I can appreciate.  Very depressive with lots of atmosphere and moodiness going on.  Tom's lyrics since he and his wife broke up seem to be getting more troubling also.

Someone mentioned earlier about the riffing.  Yeah, their riffing is all starting to sound the same.  The title track is the exact same riff as A Silent Arc.  I hope they mix this aspect up a little.  I'd love to hear some songs go back to the six string and standard or drop D tuning.  The low A stuff I think they are in does tend to blend and mesh together a bit.

However, I really like everything on here.  The balance between the rockier songs and darker slower numbers works well.  Wasn't keen on The Beholder at first, but I love it and James sounds great on it.  My fav track is probably Eternal Nocturnal.  Amazing melodies and great classic solos.  Not enough Tom soloing on this again but Henrik rips.  That solo section of the title track is possibly the heaviest moment of their career.  Really mature album with some great songwriting and a bit different.  I get vibes from all their stuff really.  A lot of Glorious Burden vibes actually which I don't mind.

Weird. I don't hear any of that.  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: April 05, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
I've given enough listens now to say that I enjoy it, but don't love it.  I think some others here have expressed what I kind of feel here, a lot of the songs sound very similar and don't stand out to me.  It's not bad, just doesn't really blow me away by any means.  It's enjoyable, but so far not a top album in 2021 based on the releases I've heard so far.  I'd say it's on par with The Atlantic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: April 05, 2021, 02:53:56 PM »

Weird. I don't hear any of that.  ;D

:lol  :facepalm:

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: July 19, 2021, 05:03:44 PM »
Just been revisiting The Storm Within. What a fantastic album. The title track has always been my favorite and just just brought me to tears when I listened to it for the first time in a while.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:43:13 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline 425

« Reply #812 on: July 19, 2021, 06:06:17 PM »
I'm just recently getting into these guys, and I just got to that album and was really, really impressed on the very first listen, which doesn't happen to me that often.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline nick_z

« Reply #813 on: July 20, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
Really like Evergrey - have discovered them with their second album, Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy and enjoyed their stuff ever since. My favorite is In Search of Truth... such a great record of dark, melancholic metal. A mini-classic in the genre, for me.

I agree with the general sentiment expressed here that they seem to have comfortably settled in their sound with the last few albums. I mean, they always had a pretty recognizable mood they didn't stray too far from, but if anything they seem to be even more comfortable with it as of late  ;D Especially with that chugging-type of riff they use a lot these days.

That said, I think they have been on a very good roll, quality-wise, since Hymns for the Broken. I can't quite pick my favorite from the last four, although I miss Carina's contributions (has she done anything outside of Evergrey?). I have listened to their latest a ton, this year.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #814 on: July 20, 2021, 11:53:41 AM »
although I miss Carina's contributions (has she done anything outside of Evergrey?).

This is the only thing I'm aware of - some dance/synth pop music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqfMLH4jNsU

Offline nick_z

« Reply #815 on: July 20, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »
although I miss Carina's contributions (has she done anything outside of Evergrey?).

This is the only thing I'm aware of - some dance/synth pop music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqfMLH4jNsU

Ha! Thank you, I had no idea...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #816 on: July 26, 2021, 07:55:02 PM »
I may have just head banged to “A Dandelion Cipher”  :metal

It’s taken a bit, but the newest album is really clicking for me.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: July 26, 2021, 09:29:03 PM »

Yeah, I really like it.  Has aged pretty well.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #818 on: July 29, 2021, 10:31:56 PM »

Yeah, I really like it.  Has aged pretty well.

:metal  I've been enjoying this album a lot as well.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #819 on: August 18, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »
Really late to the party but just heard The Beholder with James on some Spotify playlist. What a great song! A bit surprised how well they made the dual vocals part work since their vocals are so different. Gonna try out the full album tomorrow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: August 18, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
Really late to the party but just heard The Beholder with James on some Spotify playlist. What a great song! A bit surprised how well they made the dual vocals part work since their vocals are so different. Gonna try out the full album tomorrow.

I was initially not into this song, but really came along to enjoy it.  The album overall is pretty solid still when I listen.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #821 on: August 26, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #822 on: August 26, 2021, 01:00:44 PM »
I’m most fond of the In Search of Truth until The Inner Circle era, but I’m happy they’re still around and got Henrik back in the band. Since then it’s hit or miss for me. Really like ‘Hymns’, don’t care for ‘Storm’, pretty much love ‘The Atlantic’, and now ‘The Phoenix’ I just can’t get into. Sounds like Evergrey on autopilot to me. Which is still pretty good to be fair.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: August 26, 2021, 03:33:02 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: October 29, 2021, 09:13:38 PM »
Was bored this morning and had a few hours to myself so had a crack at the solo of As I Lie Here Bleeding.  Always loved this one.  A couple of off bits but fuck it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQl0pyXLi3g

Offline WardySI

« Reply #825 on: October 29, 2021, 09:37:58 PM »

Likewise but it hasn't clicked like their last 3 did, admittedly Hymns Storm and personal favorite of the 3 The Atlantic hard to beat.  But Phoenix definetely has its moments, Dandelion Cipher is one of those fer sure (albeit wish they hadn't stopped the momentum during that second verse the bass run and vocals were so good found myself shouting DON'T STOP NOW FFS :lol)...

And, I might add, while there's a few more class headbangs to be had, with its crushing riffery particularly in the lead up to that terrific solo, Where August Mourns is everything I love about Evergrey :metal

Just sayin' ;D

Offline WardySI

« Reply #826 on: October 29, 2021, 09:39:50 PM »
Was bored this morning and had a few hours to myself so had a crack at the solo of As I Lie Here Bleeding.  Always loved this one.  A couple of off bits but fuck it.

Right then so you can play guitar ;D

VERY nice inspired me to go listen to Recreation Day again and why the hell not? :metal
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:44:57 PM by WardySI »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: October 29, 2021, 10:17:03 PM »

Right then so you can play guitar ;D

VERY nice inspired me to go listen to Recreation Day again and why the hell not? :metal

Thanks mate.  Yeah, I think RD is still my fav.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #828 on: October 30, 2021, 05:17:01 AM »

Fuckin hell, mate.  Nice.  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: October 30, 2021, 05:58:19 AM »
Thanks Chad.  :D

Offline T-ski

« Reply #830 on: January 15, 2022, 09:15:30 AM »
“Before the Aftermath” Blu-ray/2 CD package from their live stream concert in Gothenburg to be released January 28th.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #831 on: February 21, 2022, 07:21:46 PM »
Announcing a new album soon. I’m shocked since it’s only been a year since the last one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: February 22, 2022, 03:31:48 AM »
Announcing a new album soon. I’m shocked since it’s only been a year since the last one.

Wow, most welcome!  :metal

“Before the Aftermath” Blu-ray/2 CD package from their live stream concert in Gothenburg to be released January 28th.

Doesn't seem to be a DVD format of this, bugger!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #833 on: February 22, 2022, 09:50:57 AM »

That was electrifying!

Sry  :lol Very well played!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: February 22, 2022, 01:22:47 PM »

That was electrifying!

Sry  :lol Very well played!  :metal

:lol Nice one.  Thanks dude.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #835 on: February 24, 2022, 01:55:27 AM »
New song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imo4WilJ4jo

Not a huge fan of it, but it's an OK one. Their last album didn't hit me as The Atlantic did and this sounds more like Phoenix. I like the solo, though. The whole mix sounds a bit industrial or something like that, which I'm not a huge fan of. There's a certain lack of depth/warmth in the sound.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #836 on: February 24, 2022, 04:00:30 AM »
It might sound better within the context of the album. It does sound like a Phoenix bonus track though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: February 24, 2022, 04:01:13 AM »
I thought it was fucking excellent to be honest.  Can't wait for this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #838 on: February 24, 2022, 05:15:35 AM »

Agreed... it was one of the better releases of 2021 imo - #5 in my ranking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: February 24, 2022, 05:16:52 AM »

Agreed... it was one of the better releases of 2021 imo - #5 in my ranking.

And that new song was better than a lot if the songs on Phoenix in my honest opinion.

Phoenix I think was in my top 5 too.