Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 100676 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »

I thought The Storm Within was basically describing their split. Her being so prominent was her way of saying goodbye.

This is Tom's quote from that interview, and you're right on the money.  The interviewer then goes to explain a breakup of his own that occurred just before he interviewed Tom and Jonas.

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2019/01/14/evergrey-interview-2019-i-feel-like-we-could-do-this-forever/?fbclid=IwAR3q_Y7R12KX0Au3BzAX2LVEg4eFh5Ozz8s-kJCdGg1RbZ3hbiZrYMxl46I

“This is the final in a trilogy. ‘Hymns…’ was an album where I felt I had to do something – my subconscious was telling me I had to do something. Uproar, frustration. ‘The Storm Within’ was really about realising you’ve mentally left, you know. ‘The Atlantic’ is the manifestation of the actual leaving. It is also the first album that Carina (Englund) is not on. That is symbolic enough.”

Right there. That’s the moment that everything clicked into place and explained why I felt such an emotional connection with ‘The Atlantic’. It is about the break-up of Tom’s marriage and the feelings surrounding this ending of a chapter as well as the beginning of a new one.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:28:48 PM by Grappler »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2019, 08:39:17 AM »
Oh, they've split? I really missed her on this one .

Offline Mladen

« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »
Damn, that's kind of brilliant conceptually. :clap:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »
Gonna be listening to it with a different perspective now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: January 27, 2019, 04:10:27 AM »
I thought The Storm Within was basically describing their split. Her being so prominent was her way of saying goodbye.

I didn't know they actually split but Paradox of the Flame I always thought was weird with those two singing, now I know why.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #670 on: January 27, 2019, 02:25:21 PM »

Fuck. I had no idea Tom and Carina split up. That sucks. I've enjoyed all of her contributions.

As for the new album, I just don't know. I think this is going to be a grower for me. It's well produced, as I expected, there are so great guitar solos, and Tom's vocals are great, as usual, but I am getting really burned out on these "djent" style songs that lack distinct signature riffs.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #671 on: January 27, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »

I didn't know they actually split but Paradox of the Flame I always thought was weird with those two singing, now I know why.  :lol

I didn't know either, but the lyrics indicate something is very wrong. Tom could have gotten inspiration elsewhere,  but now we know that's not the case.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #672 on: January 27, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »
I've been a casual fan since In Search of Truth / Recreation Day / The Inner Circle and I feel those are their best records. Also, the A Night To Remember DVD from that era is excellent.

After that I feel the quality started to gradually decrease, but Hymns for the Broken had me excited again. A pretty good record and the return of Henrik and Jonas. Strangely enough, I couldn't get into The Storm Within at all. But this one so far seems like an excellent album with plenty of depth to it. Liking it so far.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:09 AM »
I got The Atlantic over the weekend so I'd have some new music while I am traveling this week and I've listened like 4 or 5 times now and really like it.  Very heavy and melodic still, good stuff here.

New music video for End of SIlence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Q0kVkwcAg  I got to say I noticed this in the description
Directed by the Genius Patric Ullaeus breaking the world record of the quickest delivery of a music video EVER!
and must say, that shows, it's one of the worst music videos I've seen.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2019, 09:14:56 AM »
I got The Atlantic over the weekend so I'd have some new music while I am traveling this week and I've listened like 4 or 5 times now and really like it.  Very heavy and melodic still, good stuff here.

New music video for End of SIlence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Q0kVkwcAg  I got to say I noticed this in the description
Directed by the Genius Patric Ullaeus breaking the world record of the quickest delivery of a music video EVER!

The video used footage from last weekend's show, where they didn't even play the song End of Silence live.  So it really is random live footage that isn't even synced up to the song.  I don't see the point to the video at all.

But I really like the album.   :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
I wasn't even thinking about the footage, just the slow motion the entire time but then that makes sense since there wouldn't be footage of them actually playing the song so the slow motion is to cover that up I guess.  A lyric video would have been better.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: January 29, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »
I'm really loving the album so far!  It's so melodic and heavy!  "End of Silence" is an instant favorite for me, along with "Weightless" and "Departure."  But all the songs kick ass!

Also, I LOVE the way the album ends abruptly.  It's like the journey outlined in the The Atlantic continues and you don't know whether he succeeds or he fails.  It's a cliffhanger.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:54:36 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #677 on: January 31, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »

I really hate negatively criticizing this band because they're in my top 5 of all time, but I agree. This video is useless. They make some very bizarre decisions when it comes to videos at times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: January 31, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
Yea, I don't want to criticize by saying that, but I just need to say how I feel because it really is that bad of a video.  Album is great though, been listening non stop this week.  I've got this and Recreation Day, I'll have to get another album soon enough.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »
The video for the Silent Arc reslly left me scratching my head.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: January 31, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
The video for the Silent Arc reslly left me scratching my head.

Just looked this one up and yea  :lol its pretty bad, but while this one is really just boring and uninteresting I think I enjoy it better than End of Silence.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #681 on: January 31, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
This album makes me pretty happy.

I used to listen to ISOT / Recration Day / The Inner Circle a lot when my grandma died, and at the funeral I decided to play 'Til Dagmar' from the Monday Morning Apocalypse album (which I didn't like at the time, except for that one beautiful piano piece).

That led to my mother playing some other tunes from the MMA album, and she totally got into the mournful tone that Evergrey usually pursue in their music.

I was glad Jonas and Henrik returned to the band with the Hymns for the Broken record, bought tickets to see them in Holland together with my mom, but our car broke down whilst underway to the gig.

Knowing they had another show coming up in The Netherlands, I reached out to the management to explain we bought tix but had such bad luck, asking them if it might be possible to go to the other show instead for "free".

Because it was the same agency that handled the gigs, they could arrange this, with Tom even replying to the e-mail telling the management to help us out.

The gig was fantastic and now these guys released another totally killer album.  :metal
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline T-ski

« Reply #682 on: February 21, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »
This is going to be hard to unseat as album of the year. I’m not sure I’ve heard Evergrey this heavy throughout an album.

Powerful stuff.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: February 21, 2019, 04:59:08 PM »
Tom's lack of soloing on this album is a big thing for me.  I think he has one very short solo late in the album.  IMO it hurst it as Henrik's style is very abstract.  There needs to be some balance at times and Tom's style IMO is way better than Henrik's.  This factor is very disappointing for me.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #684 on: February 21, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »
I love Henrik's soloing on this one. His short solo in Weightless is one of my favourite moments in the song. But I somewhat agree that more Tom wouldn't have hurt.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: February 22, 2019, 05:07:19 AM »
I love Henrik's soloing on this one. His short solo in Weightless is one of my favourite moments in the song. But I somewhat agree that more Tom wouldn't have hurt.

I know it's probably a minor thing, but I don't know if I can look past it.  Maybe time will change that.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #686 on: February 26, 2019, 03:51:03 AM »
So many new albums lately, haven't had time to listen properly to the new album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #687 on: March 15, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »
I wasn’t going to listen to The Atlantic because I really didn’t like The Storm Within but I did and I’m glad I did because it’s great.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »
I actually caught them opening for Kamelot last week in the Netherlands.  They sounded tight.  I missed the beginning of their set though  :(

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #689 on: March 22, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

Video for "All I Have".

Yes, yet another slow-motion oceanic scenery video. Great song though. Love the solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4L4eA2jMs

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

Video for "All I Have".

Yes, yet another slow-motion oceanic scenery video. Great song though. Love the solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4L4eA2jMs

haha video is better than the last though and yea its a really good song.  I did manage to catch them playing this song a couple weeks ago, definitely wish they were palying more new songs, hopefully they will when they come to the US in septermber.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2019, 03:48:57 PM »

Yes, much better than the last video. I love, love, love this band, but I hope they bury this fascination with the oceanic videos once and for all with the next album.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #692 on: August 28, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
I think A Silent Arc is the best Evergrey song since A Touch of Blessing for me. So much emotions going on here and everything just has that heart bleeding beauty that I always loved about this band. Understand the underlying subject makes it even a bit more heart wrenching. Tom also does some of the best vocals in a long time. Feels like he could outlet a lot in that song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: May 02, 2020, 01:21:09 AM »
Epic bump!

I went out today to get the new Trivium and saw a rerelease for Recreation Day.  I saw it's remastered by Jacob Hansen.  I never knew about this.  I love the album so much but always thought the production didn't live up to the quality of album.  I took a punt and picked it up.  I'm hoping there is a bit of an improve in sound but I think I'm going to be disappointed.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: May 02, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »
*awaits report*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: May 02, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
Won't get a listen for another day or so but will post my thoughts.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #696 on: May 02, 2020, 04:47:39 PM »
The remasters have been a bit underwhelming. I was hoping Torn would have gotten a better treatment but it wasn't.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: May 03, 2020, 04:41:19 AM »
The remasters have been a bit underwhelming. I was hoping Torn would have gotten a better treatment but it wasn't.

Haven't listened but this is what I feared, unfortunately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 04, 2020, 04:35:13 AM »
*awaits report*

And hear it is.  Don't fucking bother.  Sounds the same if not worse.  Only listened to the first song but disappointing.  Hopefully the live tracks are worthwhile.  Even the booklet is the same except some photos and some linear notes from Tom.  He says in the notes that this is the best sounding Evergrey record up to that point.  He's mad, ISOT sounds SO much better than RD IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: May 04, 2020, 05:03:01 AM »
*awaits report*

And hear it is.  Don't fucking bother.  Sounds the same if not worse.  Only listened to the first song but disappointing.  Hopefully the live tracks are worthwhile.  Even the booklet is the same except some photos and some linear notes from Tom.  He says in the notes that this is the best sounding Evergrey record up to that point.  He's mad, ISOT sounds SO much better than RD IMO.

Roger that.  Spotify has "Remastered Version" on pretty much all their old albums, each seems to have a few live tracks.  Think I'll drop those in a playlist, and leave it at that.