Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 102881 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #630 on: November 25, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
Wooow! New song is fantastic! Best I heard from then in a long time 🙂

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #631 on: November 25, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
I like the song alot too but after a few listen I feel though that the energy in the intro and verse gets lost when it goes to halftime in a way. Nothing wrong with the halftime part or the chorus by themselfs. I feel they could have saved the halftime for later in the song and maybe had the first chorus follow the same 4/4 as the verse, I don't know maybe i'm rambling because it's late on Sunday and i'm tired.  :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: November 25, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »
I like the song alot too but after a few listen I feel though that the energy in the intro and verse gets lost when it goes to halftime in a way. Nothing wrong with the halftime part or the chorus by themselfs. I feel they could have saved the halftime for later in the song and maybe had the first chorus follow the same 4/4 as the verse, I don't know maybe i'm rambling because it's late on Sunday and i'm tired.  :laugh:

I could probably see what you are saying, but I've only listened to it once and probably won't listen to it much more.  Sounds to me like it will be a song that would be much more appreciated and would work better in the context of the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #633 on: November 25, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »

I could probably see what you are saying, but I've only listened to it once and probably won't listen to it much more.  Sounds to me like it will be a song that would be much more appreciated and would work better in the context of the album.
Yea that's true but since it's the album opener I just felt it dragged the song down a bit. Hearing the intro I kind of wanted a song more in the vein of The Masterplan. Still a great song though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: November 25, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »

Yea that's true but since it's the album opener I just felt it dragged the song down a bit. Hearing the intro I kind of wanted a song more in the vein of The Masterplan. Still a great song though.

Fuck, it's the opener?  I didn't even check where it was placed in the album.  Yeah, that is a little weird then.  I thought it must have been near the end.  Strange song choice for the opener then.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #635 on: November 26, 2018, 03:30:15 AM »
Yeah didn't get opener vibe from it but actually gets me even more excited! If it start this dramatic it can only be a positive thing  :hat

Offline Pettor

« Reply #636 on: November 26, 2018, 04:08:21 AM »
BTW what is the opinion on Monday Morning Apocalypse album here? It always seems to take a heavy hit from fans but I personally really liked it. Seems to be the TOT for Evergrey where some like the heavy sound and some thinks it derived from the traditional style. The songs themselves are very strong imo! Specially the songs from In Remembrance till the end is strong. But in general there is a lot of emotional moments from Tom through the album that I really like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: November 26, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
BTW what is the opinion on Monday Morning Apocalypse album here? It always seems to take a heavy hit from fans but I personally really liked it. Seems to be the TOT for Evergrey where some like the heavy sound and some thinks it derived from the traditional style. The songs themselves are very strong imo! Specially the songs from In Remembrance till the end is strong. But in general there is a lot of emotional moments from Tom through the album that I really like.

Always loved it and was one of their most played albums for me.  I think it was the change in direction after the brilliant three albums before hand that fans couldn't grasp, but I love the direct, heavy more modern sound to it.  Plus the songs are still there IMO.  It's not ISOT or RD level by any means, but I agree it gets a bad wrap.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: November 26, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
The new single is pretty good. Only one listen but I enjoyed it. I finally started listening to them a bit more. I got Recreation Day and have spun it a handful of times. Solid album but cant say anything specifically really stood out though. I had watched their live concert on YouTube a bunch so had recognized some of these songs but I think I liked them better live with those background vocals. Definitely not bad or anything negative to say but I dont think the album blew me away either. I will continue to listen though and I expect I'll get another album at some point.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #639 on: November 26, 2018, 09:37:03 PM »

To be fair, I haven’t listened to MMA for years, pretty much since it came out. I couldn’t stand it when it released, though, probably because it was such a drastic change in style. The progressive elements were gone, Rikard’s keyboards were nowhere to be found, and their typical symphonic backgrounds were also completely absent. Having the vocals so far forward in the mix also seemed way too overpowering to my ears. It just wasn’t Evergrey to me, what I had come to love about them the previous five albums. Torn was even worse, and I was done with them to the point that I didn’t even check out a single note of Glorious Collision.

Thankfully, with the positive reviews of Hymns, I gave the band another chance and regained interest in them. But for 2-3 albums, I had written them off, a lost cause. MMA was the start of that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: November 27, 2018, 12:12:13 AM »
GC is pretty good, but the production just ruins it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #641 on: November 27, 2018, 03:10:10 AM »
The more I listen to that album, the more I think it might be my favorite release of theirs.

And the more I think that, the more I figure out I can't be too big of an Evergrey fan if that album is the one I usually go with.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: November 27, 2018, 03:59:50 AM »
The more I listen to that album, the more I think it might be my favorite release of theirs.

And the more I think that, the more I figure out I can't be too big of an Evergrey fan if that album is the one I usually go with.  :lol

Wait, GC is your fav?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #643 on: November 27, 2018, 06:47:00 AM »
It quite possibly might be.  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: November 27, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »
It quite possibly might be.  ;)

Yeah wow.  Backs up my argument then of it being a good album haha.  I just wished it was mixed and produced better.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #645 on: November 27, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »
The Phantom Letters is one of my favourite Evergrey songs. I just wish the rest of the album were of similar quality.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #646 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:06 PM »
I wasn't blown away by the first single from "The Storm Within" and I'm feeling the same way about "The Silent Arc". It's just okay for me. It *sounds* good, but the song just kind of plods along. The guitar solos are nice, though. I guess I'm always in hopes of something to knock me on my ass like "King of Errors" did when it was released as the first single, but that's an extremely tough act to follow.

I have no doubt the rest of the album will deliver, though, just as "The Storm Within" did.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #647 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:14:12 AM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #648 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »
Pretty good song. Nothing spectacular.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #649 on: January 11, 2019, 11:17:12 AM »
Official music video for Weightless:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBne5lE66u0&fbclid=IwAR2E9O_uHMi5zpnhp1R26JESOCcsUH7Hrb9hiE64MAoFYvpvAhlkq5wDYZI

I like it better than A Silent Arc.  The riffs are more like the Monday Morning Apocalypse style (which I love).  The song actually really reminds me of that album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: January 11, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »
Solid, I like it  :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #651 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Really digging the two songs they've released so far.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: January 11, 2019, 01:19:03 PM »
Wow, new songs by Evergrey, Dream Theater and Queensryche all in the same day.  This is like Christmas!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: January 11, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
Awesome heavy song.  I can hear some MMA in there too.  Not liking Tom not soloing much anymore though.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: January 15, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
Really loving this song so far!  The video and lyrics and awesome.  So pumped for this album now!  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: January 15, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Really loving this song so far!  The video and lyrics and awesome.  So pumped for this album now!  :metal

Yup, I keep coming back because I really enjoy not just the song but the video too, rockin  :metal

Offline T-ski

« Reply #656 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »
another new track "Currents"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWYSkoa1V0
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #657 on: January 25, 2019, 06:38:49 PM »
Wait... new album out today and nobody has said anything yet????  I bought the MP3 first thing today and listened to the whole album through a few times today.  It rocks.  Definitely better than The Storm Within.  Can't tell if it will top Hymns, but it's damn good.  No weak tracks, full of heavy great stuff.  I know A Silent Arc was a prerelease single, but that might by my favorite.  I didn't listen to it much prior to release but within a complete album listen it is so awesome.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: January 25, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
I need to get this

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #659 on: January 26, 2019, 05:41:07 AM »
Some of us were discussing it in other threads.  Good album, pretty much everything I come to expect from Evergrey.  I put it on par with The Storm Within, which is a mid-tier album in the grand scheme of their discography.  Not saying either is bad, but there are at least 4 or 5 I'd rank ahead of it.  That's after only one listen, so my opinion could change (either way).

It is purchase-worthy though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #660 on: January 26, 2019, 07:37:41 AM »
It's a solid one, maybe even better than The Storm within.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #661 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:05 AM »
I'm digging it, but haven't spent too much time with the album.  I did read an interview with Tom recently and in so many words he confirmed that the album was influenced by his divorce from Carina.  I had no idea that they had split up - this is the first album in the Evergrey discography that does not feature her vocals.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
I'm digging it, but haven't spent too much time with the album.  I did read an interview with Tom recently and in so many words he confirmed that the album was influenced by his divorce from Carina.  I had no idea that they had split up - this is the first album in the Evergrey discography that does not feature her vocals.

Oh damn, they got divorced?

Man, that sucks. They were together for so long.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
I thought The Storm Within was basically describing their split. Her being so prominent was her way of saying goodbye.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »
I thought The Storm Within was basically describing their split. Her being so prominent was her way of saying goodbye.

This is Tom's quote from that interview.  The interviewer then goes to explain a breakup of his own that occurred just before he interviewed Tom and Jonas.

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2019/01/14/evergrey-interview-2019-i-feel-like-we-could-do-this-forever/?fbclid=IwAR3q_Y7R12KX0Au3BzAX2LVEg4eFh5Ozz8s-kJCdGg1RbZ3hbiZrYMxl46I

“This is the final in a trilogy. ‘Hymns…’ was an album where I felt I had to do something – my subconscious was telling me I had to do something. Uproar, frustration. ‘The Storm Within’ was really about realising you’ve mentally left, you know. ‘The Atlantic’ is the manifestation of the actual leaving. It is also the first album that Carina (Englund) is not on. That is symbolic enough.”

Right there. That’s the moment that everything clicked into place and explained why I felt such an emotional connection with ‘The Atlantic’. It is about the break-up of Tom’s marriage and the feelings surrounding this ending of a chapter as well as the beginning of a new one.