Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103563 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #910 on: June 13, 2022, 04:04:41 PM »
I too just picked this up, been listening in my car.

The one thing that is bothering me is Tom’s vocals, they really seem overly manipulated, which sucks because he has one of the most unique voices in metal IMO.

Other than that it’s Evergrey doing their thing and I love it.

What do you mean by overly manipulated?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #911 on: June 13, 2022, 08:50:01 PM »
I too just picked this up, been listening in my car.

The one thing that is bothering me is Tom’s vocals, they really seem overly manipulated, which sucks because he has one of the most unique voices in metal IMO.

Other than that it’s Evergrey doing their thing and I love it.

What do you mean by overly manipulated?

Just too many effects and auto tuning.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #912 on: June 14, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »
I've also noticed a lot of effects on Tom's voice. It absolutely does sound like auto tune. The album is still fairly enjoyable, though. Their albums do not blow me away these days, but they're consistently solid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: June 14, 2022, 05:07:03 AM »
I'll have to listen a little closer.  That's a bit disappointing but probably not unusual these days.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #914 on: June 14, 2022, 06:18:50 AM »
There’s a lot of autotune and excessive ‘comping’ going on. With this method you sing the same line lots of times, and then select the best sounding word/syllable out of every take and construct a perfect sounding ‘take’ made out of tiny little parts from each take. If this method is taken to extremes then vocals tend to start to sound a bit artificial.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: June 14, 2022, 07:56:40 AM »
My ears definitely aren't trained to hear or notice that.  His vocals haven't bothered me.  I listened a few more times yesterday, what bothers me is nothing on this album stands out.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #916 on: June 14, 2022, 10:15:30 AM »
I'm glad I don't notice stuff like that. 

I've been really enjoying this album.  I'd agree that nothing really blows me away but I've been listening to it a lot.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #917 on: June 14, 2022, 03:00:40 PM »
The track “Ominous” is the most offensive of the vocal shenanigans. It really detracts from the awesome music of the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: June 14, 2022, 04:05:09 PM »
There’s a lot of autotune and excessive ‘comping’ going on. With this method you sing the same line lots of times, and then select the best sounding word/syllable out of every take and construct a perfect sounding ‘take’ made out of tiny little parts from each take. If this method is taken to extremes then vocals tend to start to sound a bit artificial.

I've always thought this was a common method though.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #919 on: June 15, 2022, 08:00:38 AM »
I would hate to be the guy that listens to that over and over and piece these things together.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #920 on: June 20, 2022, 04:08:14 AM »
Hadn't listened since last posting on this a week ago and one simple press of the play button again today and I gotta ask 'Can this record ever stop getting better?' :lol

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: June 20, 2022, 04:56:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm still spinning it.  Something about it.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #922 on: June 20, 2022, 06:51:06 AM »
Yeah feel the same way.

Pretty confident if pushed to narrow down a Top5 Evergrey this album would have to be a contender.  As would The Atlantic which is now arguably my favourite Evergrey, and probably Hymns, Recreation Day... 

Would have give it more thought can't see how this one couldn't feature ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #923 on: June 20, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »
I know pretty much nothing about this band, but I listened to the new album and I thought it was a fun listen.

That is all lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: June 20, 2022, 04:15:48 PM »
Yeah feel the same way.

Pretty confident if pushed to narrow down a Top5 Evergrey this album would have to be a contender.  As would The Atlantic which is now arguably my favourite Evergrey, and probably Hymns, Recreation Day... 

Would have give it more thought can't see how this one couldn't feature ;)

I've never tried to rank them.  Top 2 would be RD and HFTB.  Not sure where it would go after that.  This one could find it's way at number 5 though I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: June 20, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
I know pretty much nothing about this band, but I listened to the new album and I thought it was a fun listen.

That is all lol

Great band mate, check out some of their older stuff too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: June 20, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
Glad you all are enjoying it.  I don't think it's bad at all, I'm just struggling to find songs that I really enjoy.  It's a fine listen from front to back.  Save Me may be my favorite track, and similar to the new Def Leppard album, when the first track and single are my favorite, it kind of makes the rest of the album feel dull even if I wouldn't actually classify any of those songs as dull.  I plan on listening more though, I like the band and enjoy it enough to not just toss it aside.  This could also be a "me" thing.  I feel like I haven't been enjoying the new albums in 2022 as much as I expected to. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #927 on: June 20, 2022, 07:17:58 PM »
I finally got a chance to sit down and properly listen to The Heartless Portrait, and I liked it much better than on the first couple of cursory runs...

I have no idea where it'll stand in my Evergrey rankings yet, of course. Seems a little darker, even for their standards. And Blindfolded is a surprisingly heavy tune.

Regarding the discussion on Tom's voice being a little more "processed" than the usual - I had noticed that too. On a song like Ominous, though, it seems like a stylistic choice. Whether that's successful or not, it's open to debate  :) But it seems to me it's part of what the song is trying to do, sonically.

For now, it still hasn't hit me as hard as the last few, but it also has the largest potential to be a grower.

As for my favorites - I think it'll be hard for them to top In Search for Truth in my preferences. It was also the first album I bought as a fan, after having discovered them with Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy. It was still all very "fresh" for them in terms of style, and the melodies, the moodiness, the catchiness all came together so well on that one. But then Recreation Day and The Inner Circle are fantastic as well. I have a soft spot for Solitude, ...too (Solitude Within, Nosferatu, The Corey Curse...they are basically "power-gothic" songs  ;D )

Honestly, though, the run that started with Hymns for the Broken has been very strong. There might not be a ton of variety in what they are doing now, and there is some lack of "wow" factor, but they are doing it VERY well. I might give a tiny edge to The Atlantic, but I think they are all pretty consistently good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: June 25, 2022, 09:54:37 PM »
Loving the new album so much I did a couple of video covers of a couple of solos;

Call Out the Dark;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S6099KRSGA

Save Us;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc5LGYp3vOo

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #929 on: June 26, 2022, 02:29:16 AM »
Good stuff mate, love the tone of your sound, are you using a real amp or software?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: June 26, 2022, 06:01:53 AM »
Good stuff mate, love the tone of your sound, are you using a real amp or software?

Real amp mic'ed up mate.  Using a Crate solid state which has a decent sound.  Not good with sound recording but its good enough just to have some fun with some videos. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #931 on: June 26, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »
Loving the new album so much I did a couple of video covers of a couple of solos;

Call Out the Dark;

Save Us;

Well done.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #932 on: June 26, 2022, 09:29:28 AM »
The new album has some good tunes, but it doesn't compare to Escape or the Break-Up Trilogy.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #933 on: June 26, 2022, 01:52:18 PM »
It's a good album. The 1st half of the album sounds very refreshing (especially the 1st song). The 2nd half does sound a bit more of Evergrey by the numbers. I am enjoying it though. Had to pause playing in order to listen to the new Porcupine Tree.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: June 26, 2022, 03:30:46 PM »

Call Out the Dark;

Save Us;

Well done.

Cheers man.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: June 26, 2022, 09:29:50 PM »

Call Out the Dark;

Save Us;

Impressive!  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline WardySI

« Reply #936 on: June 27, 2022, 12:56:25 AM »

Call Out the Dark;

Save Us;

Incredible stuff mate really cool :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: June 27, 2022, 04:29:36 AM »
Cheers lads!  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #938 on: June 27, 2022, 07:25:57 PM »

Call Out the Dark;

Save Us;

Well, add me to the list of impressed viewers! You really nail the solos, especially the "fluidity" (for lack of better term  ;)) of Danhage's style...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #939 on: June 27, 2022, 07:43:12 PM »
I mean, the playing was good, but I can do better. My guitar is in the shop though, and I sprained my hand, and my amp is busted, and my computer wont connect. Might be awhile.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: June 27, 2022, 08:19:20 PM »

Call Out the Dark;

Save Us;

Well, add me to the list of impressed viewers! You really nail the solos, especially the "fluidity" (for lack of better term  ;)) of Danhage's style...

Thanks Nick.  Yeah, Henrik has a really unique style, tough to replicate.

I mean, the playing was good, but I can do better. My guitar is in the shop though, and I sprained my hand, and my amp is busted, and my computer wont connect. Might be awhile.

I can wait.  ;)

Offline 425

« Reply #941 on: July 12, 2022, 06:12:06 PM »
I've been listening a lot to their last five albums this week. I'm really impressed by how consistently good these are. I'd have a really hard time ranking the five. Although Escape of the Phoenix is my favorite, I think that has a lot to do with a personal connection I formed to it last year.

I'm sort of taking a moratorium on buying non-new-release music because I'm about to spend a lot of money on a move and because I have a bunch of albums that I've bought but haven't listened to much or at all, but it's exciting to me that I'm enjoying this band so much without having even gotten to their consensus best albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: July 12, 2022, 06:23:15 PM »
Last five ranking hey.....

Hymns
Heartless Portrait
Atlantic
Phoenix
Storm

Offline 425

« Reply #943 on: July 12, 2022, 06:26:02 PM »
Alright, if you MADE me do it, mine would probably be the same as yours except with Phoenix moved to first:

Phoenix
Hymns
Heartless
Atlantic
Storm
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WardySI

« Reply #944 on: July 13, 2022, 01:00:30 AM »
Atlantic
Hymns
Heartless Portrait
Storm
Phoenix

I appreciate Portrait is the new kid on the block so going show restraint and not put it ahead of Hymns ;)