Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103520 times)

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #875 on: March 01, 2022, 03:32:23 PM »

haha, I wish I could say that was intentional, but it was inadvertent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: March 01, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
 :lol  I'll still give you the points.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: March 01, 2022, 05:16:02 PM »
I liked a lot of their old stuff (Recreation Day not so much) but I struggle to get through a minute of that latest song purely due to the production. I'm pretty much done with that wall of muddiness in bands like Evergrey/Within Temptation etc....and when I hear it these days I'm pretty much out.  I want to hear guitar/bass/keys individually , not like one booming instrument.

I realise I'm the odd one out but I find it pretty unlistenable.   A band like Fates Warning has managed to modernise their sound but retain some clarity in the production.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #878 on: March 02, 2022, 05:11:23 PM »

The production? Really? I would throw my mother into an alligator pit in front of the Pope to have my albums sound like theirs.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: March 02, 2022, 08:21:55 PM »

The production? Really? I would throw my mother into an alligator pit in front of the Pope to have my albums sound like theirs.

I did say I know it's just me  ;D    They've always had a very bassy sound but I preferred it when it was a bit more raw with a bit more sonic "space" on the older albums. 

I find something like this really pleasant listening :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2k7nWb75uQ

I find this a sonic mess :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKTlyXDpNaY

Just my taste  - I struggle with a lot of current metal for this reason.  And I definitely don't djent  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: March 03, 2022, 04:12:44 AM »
I totally get where Brent is coming from.  It is interesting how much that Djent style has become a part of their sound.

A Touch of Blessing is a hell of a song too.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #881 on: March 24, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »

Not quite as strong as "Save Us", but still pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX-1MxycLp4

Offline T-ski

« Reply #882 on: April 28, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »
Third part of the “backwards” trilogy…. https://youtu.be/iDX5nFwaIXY

Not really feeling this one, too much chugga chugga for me. I did like the piano outro, though I’m not sure it’s actually part of the song.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #883 on: April 28, 2022, 10:45:10 AM »
Third part of the “backwards” trilogy…. https://youtu.be/iDX5nFwaIXY

Not really feeling this one, too much chugga chugga for me. I did like the piano outro, though I’m not sure it’s actually part of the song.

I caught the premiere this morning, and yeah, I pretty much agree.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #884 on: April 28, 2022, 01:25:39 PM »

I did say I know it's just me  ;D    They've always had a very bassy sound but I preferred it when it was a bit more raw with a bit more sonic "space" on the older albums. 

I find something like this really pleasant listening :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2k7nWb75uQ

I find this a sonic mess :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKTlyXDpNaY

Just my taste  - I struggle with a lot of current metal for this reason.  And I definitely don't djent  ;D

Huh.  I guess I shouldn't have expected different, but they both sound fine to me.  Which I think overall is a good thing for me.  Maybe sometimes I feel like I "should" have more of an opinion about production or the mix or whatever.  But I almost always don't, and instead of feeling strangely guilty, I should just be glad that's not a reason for me to dislike something.  Instead I can stick to struggling with harsh vocals or something. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: April 28, 2022, 03:07:00 PM »
Not as catchy as the other two but still solid Evergrey.  Love how they put so much effort into these videos.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #886 on: April 28, 2022, 06:16:14 PM »

Yes, as I mentioned before, I am so glad to see them finally move away from all of the oceanic imagery. It was a very long time coming.

This song is okay, but I don't see myself going back to it repeatedly in the future. I still have a feeling the album will be good, though, and they'll keep the long winning streak alive.

Offline 425

« Reply #887 on: May 08, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »
Just noticed that even though the release date has been given as May 20th, Amazon and LaserCD both list it as May 13th, and seem prepared to ship out preorders for that date. So those of us who preorder might get it a week earlier than expected.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: May 09, 2022, 09:40:38 AM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #889 on: May 10, 2022, 10:22:45 AM »
Just got my Evergrey CD shipped from LaserCD. Really excited to hear this one. I haven't listened to any of the singles yet. I found that I have been enjoying a lot more albums this way than listening to singles..

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #890 on: May 13, 2022, 01:40:00 AM »

There's definitely some interesting surprises. "Ominous" is a bit different than anything I've heard from them before. It starts with some great vocal melodies from Tom. He always sounds great, but he's really singing his ass off here.

"The Orphean Testament" starts off with a groove and riffs that sound like things we've heard from them a gazillion times in recent years.

"Wildfires" was a bit surprising. It feels like it could have been a Silent Skies track.

Overall, this is quite a departure from "Escape of the Phoenix". I need to listen to it a few more times to get a true sense of how I feel about it.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #891 on: May 13, 2022, 03:33:21 AM »
While as always is the case with Evergrey Phoenix had a few exceptional tracks my ears found it somewhat lacking compared to the trilogy that preceeded it and so far only Midwater Calls is the only pre-release single I've found ticks the boxes.  I just find Evergrey get lost on me when they play these OTT fast tracks Everygrey are best when they breathe and allow songs space IMO.

LOVE Evergrey just nervous for this one after Phonenix...

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #892 on: May 13, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »
Just noticed that even though the release date has been given as May 20th, Amazon and LaserCD both list it as May 13th, and seem prepared to ship out preorders for that date. So those of us who preorder might get it a week earlier than expected.

Seems like the digital release is on the 20th as it wasn't available today in Spotify.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #893 on: May 13, 2022, 12:11:19 PM »
While as always is the case with Evergrey Phoenix had a few exceptional tracks my ears found it somewhat lacking compared to the trilogy that preceeded it and so far only Midwater Calls is the only pre-release single I've found ticks the boxes.  I just find Evergrey get lost on me when they play these OTT fast tracks Everygrey are best when they breathe and allow songs space IMO.

LOVE Evergrey just nervous for this one after Phonenix...

Oh, wait until you hear "Wildfires". Tons of space in that one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #894 on: May 13, 2022, 12:28:13 PM »
COFFEE WITH OLA - Tom Englund of EVERGREY

Always thought it's a funny thing to see two persons with the same native tounge being "forced" speaking english together.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #895 on: May 13, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »

The disappointing track for me is "The Orphean Testament". From the very moment it starts, you may find yourself saying "Oh, come on!! We've heard this a gazillion times!!" There is a bright spot, though. A killer synth solo from Rikard.

"The Great Unwashed" sounds sinister as fuck. Decent track.

"Reawakening" has a disjointed drum groove I don't believe I've ever heard Jonas utilize before. Parts of this song actually sound jubilant and uplifting, especially the guitar solos section.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #896 on: May 15, 2022, 01:49:19 AM »

The disappointing track for me is "The Orphean Testament". From the very moment it starts, you may find yourself saying "Oh, come on!! We've heard this a gazillion times!!" There is a bright spot, though. A killer synth solo from Rikard.

"The Great Unwashed" sounds sinister as fuck. Decent track.

"Reawakening" has a disjointed drum groove I don't believe I've ever heard Jonas utilize before. Parts of this song actually sound jubilant and uplifting, especially the guitar solos section.

Very cool to read these keep commenting...  ;)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #897 on: May 15, 2022, 05:04:08 PM »
The new album is Evergrey by the numbers but goddamn it, I love them! They always seem to convey the emotion of the song and most of their songs always connect with me in some way or another. The production does sound top notch and there are a few new elements that make the album more refreshing than the last one.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 05:23:48 PM by goo-goo »

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #898 on: May 17, 2022, 10:54:53 AM »

For me, I would say "Wildfires" was the biggest surprise. It's just Tom's vocals, clean guitar, and Johann on fretless bass.

I actually like the verses of "The Great Unwashed" more than the chorus. I was expecting something comparable to "In the Absence of Sun" (a big favorite of mine) but it went in a totally different direction.

"Call out the Dark" is just okay to me. The highlight is probably the guitar solos. I would say the same about "Heartless", too.

Overall, there are more good songs than mediocre ones, so it's safe to say they've put out yet another winner.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #899 on: May 20, 2022, 12:01:35 PM »
I have to say I understand the remarks about the band’s production style nowadays. It seems it’s getting more and more wall-of-sound which ultimately makes the sound kinda dull and lifeless.

The Atlantic is already a bit in ‘that’ vein, but was fine sonically. The last two records take the machinal production even further.. which is perfectly fine if that’s what they want to do.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #900 on: May 21, 2022, 12:07:19 PM »
I never thought I would say this, but Evergrey has finally made a really good album with A Heartless Portrait. I even kind of like Tom's vocals on this, even though I typically don't like his vocal style.

I thought The Atlantic was a step in the right direction, but this new one is a fairly big step above.

I've always believed that Evergrey had the potential to do great things as a band, good to finally see they are realizing their potential 25+ years into their career.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline WardySI

« Reply #901 on: May 21, 2022, 06:40:58 PM »
Well after some initial hesitation for the pre-release singles which isn't that unusual with Evergrey fer these ears (When August Mourns being a recent exception that shit was INSTANT! :metal) am blown away by A Heartless Portrait to the point where even the singles are killing it (I think there's something to be said for these inter-linked pieces working better in their place on their respective albums).  So yeah, now both Save Us and Midwinter Calls are delivering in spades Blindfolded is fine albeit not quite on the same level but the highlights are multiple...

Ominous is all kinds of excellent, Call Out The Dark and Heartless while on the more commercial side are essential Evergrey and The Great Unwashed kinda moves between sounding like those but offers something more love it.  Reawakening is probably the current fave albeit with so many great tracks it won't likely remain so and Wildfires is a fantastic conclusion to the album.

Hands down better than Phoenix which seemed to lack some direction and suffered from less consistency IMO but Heartless Portrait ticks all the boxes and then some. No problem with the production from my end either and cover art is winning also...

This one is up there with my recent Evergrey fave The Atlantic and could well be giving Amorphis' Halo a run for its money for AOTY come year's end :metal
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:48:22 PM by WardySI »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: June 12, 2022, 04:49:22 PM »
So I finally got my copy of this album last week.  On first listen I thought it was decent and it seems a little different from the last couple, a bit modern and a bit more consistency across the board.  All songs follow a bit more of a formula but I'm okay with that.

3 or 4 listens in though, I fucking love it, there's something about the atmosphere that's scratching me right where I itch.  As the song open up and I get to know them, each one is very enjoyable and the guitar work again across the board is outstanding.  I'm thrilled Tom has gotten more involved in the soloing this time around as it's more of a 50/50 split which works a treat.

I gotta say, maybe it's me at the moment and my year so far but Wildfires is fucking incredible and the lyrics speak volumes to me at the moment that it just about makes me tear up.  Holy shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: June 12, 2022, 04:50:59 PM »
Well after some initial hesitation for the pre-release singles which isn't that unusual with Evergrey fer these ears (When August Mourns being a recent exception that shit was INSTANT! :metal) am blown away by A Heartless Portrait to the point where even the singles are killing it (I think there's something to be said for these inter-linked pieces working better in their place on their respective albums).  So yeah, now both Save Us and Midwinter Calls are delivering in spades Blindfolded is fine albeit not quite on the same level but the highlights are multiple...

Ominous is all kinds of excellent, Call Out The Dark and Heartless while on the more commercial side are essential Evergrey and The Great Unwashed kinda moves between sounding like those but offers something more love it.  Reawakening is probably the current fave albeit with so many great tracks it won't likely remain so and Wildfires is a fantastic conclusion to the album.

Hands down better than Phoenix which seemed to lack some direction and suffered from less consistency IMO but Heartless Portrait ticks all the boxes and then some. No problem with the production from my end either and cover art is winning also...

This one is up there with my recent Evergrey fave The Atlantic and could well be giving Amorphis' Halo a run for its money for AOTY come year's end :metal

Nice.  Commercial is a good word to use for some of what's going on here.  Reawakening is something like they've never done.  It's commercial and almost straight up AOR/melodic rock with a harder edge. 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #904 on: June 12, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »
I can see myself regretting this post but...

Expect am (very) alone on this but so far as comparisons go I get TORN vibes from this one!? This is a much better album but nonetheless yes, the vibe and flow of A Heartless Portrait reminds me of Torn albeit this is a bigger album all around \m/

And AHP is indeed currently AOTY fer me too BTW  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: June 12, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »
I can see myself regretting this post but...

Expect am (very) alone on this but so far as comparisons go I get TORN vibes from this one!? This is a much better album but nonetheless yes, the vibe and flow of A Heartless Portrait reminds me of Torn albeit this is a bigger album all around \m/

And AHP is indeed currently AOTY fer me too BTW  ;)

Mate, that middle era of Evergrey came to mind halfway through my initial listen.  Torn/GC vines definitely going on here.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #906 on: June 12, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »
Not just me then phew! ;)

Broken Wings, Soaked, Out of Reach... Often overlooked but some wonderful Evergrey during that period some of which would fit nicely within a AHP heavy setlist. 

Speaking of will they get to our shores anytime soon???

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: June 13, 2022, 05:11:58 AM »
I was actually just thinking today how good it would be if they came out here mate.  Not sure how much of a following they have out here but it would be fabulous.

Broken Wings could be a top 10 Evergrey song for me truthfully.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #908 on: June 13, 2022, 07:26:56 AM »
I too just picked this up, been listening in my car.

The one thing that is bothering me is Tom’s vocals, they really seem overly manipulated, which sucks because he has one of the most unique voices in metal IMO.

Other than that it’s Evergrey doing their thing and I love it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: June 13, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »
I finally got the album last week and gave it a few listens.  I must say, I'm not really catching onto it just yet.  I need more listens, but sadly my initial reaction is this is not as good as the last couple albums.  It does feel a bit different though and maybe that's part of why it hasn't clicked yet.  We will see after a few more listens this week.