Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103556 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #840 on: February 24, 2022, 08:25:48 AM »
I’ve loved the last four albums from Evergrey and this continues the same sound.

Can’t wait for the album!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #841 on: February 24, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »

releases May 20, 2022

Bitchin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: February 24, 2022, 02:24:06 PM »
Epic title and artwork.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: February 24, 2022, 02:42:04 PM »
Epic title and artwork.

Yeah, that might be their best artwork ever
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: February 24, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
The new single is already out too, Save Us.  Just not able to listen right now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: February 24, 2022, 02:46:15 PM »

There's a link on the page before.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: February 24, 2022, 02:49:02 PM »

There's a link on the page before.

Ah my bad, totally missed that.  :metal I will have to check it out tonight when I get home

Offline 425

« Reply #847 on: February 24, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »
Awesome. I got into Evergrey just last year, and Escape of the Phoenix was one of my favorite albums of 2021. Looking forward to more, and, yeah, that artwork looks incredible.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: February 24, 2022, 06:17:21 PM »
Awesome. I got into Evergrey just last year, and Escape of the Phoenix was one of my favorite albums of 2021. Looking forward to more, and, yeah, that artwork looks incredible.

Have you checked out all their albums yet?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: February 25, 2022, 05:03:37 AM »
Save Us video clip

https://youtu.be/vKTlyXDpNaY

This song is fucking incredible.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #850 on: February 25, 2022, 07:17:28 AM »
I liked the song when I gave it a quick listen yesterday.  Looking forward to another new album already! 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: February 25, 2022, 08:17:27 AM »
Song is pretty good.  Seems pretty similar to the last couple releases since I've become a fan. Just can't believe how quickly another album has come.

Offline 425

« Reply #852 on: February 25, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »

No, not yet. It usually takes me a couple of years to work through a discography as large as theirs. I like to start with a couple of albums, get to know them pretty well, and then move on to more, and so on. And usually I'm doing this with multiple bands at once (this last year: Evergrey, Epica, Amorphis, Teramaze).

I've mainly been listening to the current era because the songs I heard over the years that made the best impression on me mainly came from that era: King of Errors (which I believe I got from you in roulette many years ago), A Silent Arc, and then The Beholder is what convinced me to finally buy some albums. So I have the last four albums right now. I need to spend some more time with The Storm Within, but next I'll go back to the classic era—probably to The Inner Circle, because I really liked When the Walls Go Down.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: February 25, 2022, 02:32:58 PM »
TIC is a good one from that era.  My recc'n would be to also hit up In Search of Truth, Recreation Day, and Solitude Dominance and Tragedy.  There's certainly nothing wrong/bad about The Dark Discovery, Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn, or Glorious Collusion, but (imo), those four are the least best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: February 25, 2022, 02:36:20 PM »

No, not yet. It usually takes me a couple of years to work through a discography as large as theirs. I like to start with a couple of albums, get to know them pretty well, and then move on to more, and so on. And usually I'm doing this with multiple bands at once (this last year: Evergrey, Epica, Amorphis, Teramaze).

I've mainly been listening to the current era because the songs I heard over the years that made the best impression on me mainly came from that era: King of Errors (which I believe I got from you in roulette many years ago), A Silent Arc, and then The Beholder is what convinced me to finally buy some albums. So I have the last four albums right now. I need to spend some more time with The Storm Within, but next I'll go back to the classic era—probably to The Inner Circle, because I really liked When the Walls Go Down.

Great mate, sounds like you're working your way through nicely.  Recreation Day and In Search For Truth should be high on your list to check out soon, amazing prog metal.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: February 25, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »
Just curious if anyone has the Before the Aftermath bluray and is it good? It doesn't seem to be available on Amazon, but I found it on the AFM records website.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: February 25, 2022, 05:08:36 PM »
Haven’t watched it, but I listened to it on Spotify and then promptly bought the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: February 25, 2022, 05:30:37 PM »
Just curious if anyone has the Before the Aftermath bluray and is it good? It doesn't seem to be available on Amazon, but I found it on the AFM records website.

No DVD!  >:(

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #858 on: February 25, 2022, 05:59:32 PM »

These guys have been on one hell of a hot streak since 2014 when "Hymns for the Broken" came out. It's a bit rare to see, actually.

I dig the new song and video. It certainly provokes thoughts of what's going on with Ukraine. What timing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: February 25, 2022, 06:09:23 PM »
I've spun this song a few times now.  It's one of the best songs they've ever done, that chorus is incredible.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #860 on: February 25, 2022, 06:40:59 PM »

I've only got two minor complaints. I wish the guitar solos had been longer. Evergrey is one of the few bands whose guitar solos I look forward to. Secondly, I wish the outro had lasted a few more bars. Right when it was just Tom and the piano, I was like "oh, fuck....this is bliss", and BAM , it was over.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: February 25, 2022, 06:49:20 PM »
I love that interaction between Tom and Henrik during the solos in that video.  Both are wonderful but Tom is such a creative lead player.  Very underrated.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2022, 06:29:21 PM »

Fucking aye, this song just gets better and better every time I go back and listen to it. The chorus is pure gold.

It makes me confident the new album is going to be yet another winner from them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2022, 08:16:57 PM »
Yeah, Im gonna have to stop spinning it with the album still 3 months away.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: February 28, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »

I only listened once, thought it was good and am trying not to go back just because the album is too far for me to get too worked up and excited.  I definitely am looking forward to it though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: February 28, 2022, 12:52:28 PM »

I only listened once, thought it was good and am trying not to go back just because the album is too far for me to get too worked up and excited.  I definitely am looking forward to it though.

The song just keeps drawing me back, it's incredible.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #866 on: February 28, 2022, 02:33:20 PM »
TIC is a good one from that era.  My recc'n would be to also hit up In Search of Truth, Recreation Day, and Solitude Dominance and Tragedy.  There's certainly nothing wrong/bad about The Dark Discovery, Monday Morning Apocalypse, Torn, or Glorious Collusion, but (imo), those four are the least best.

Definitely agree with these recommendations. The Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy / In Search of Truth (my favorite) / Recreation Day run is fantastic.

Monday Morning Apocalypse wasn't received super-well when it came out, but I enjoy it a fair bit. A little more streamlined, but with plenty of great songs.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #867 on: February 28, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #868 on: February 28, 2022, 10:21:25 PM »
Great mate, sounds like you're working your way through nicely.  Recreation Day and In Search For Truth should be high on your list to check out soon, amazing prog metal.

Definitely agree with these recommendations. The Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy / In Search of Truth (my favorite) / Recreation Day run is fantastic.

Monday Morning Apocalypse wasn't received super-well when it came out, but I enjoy it a fair bit. A little more streamlined, but with plenty of great songs.
'

Thanks for sharing this advice, all. I'll make sure to prioritize Recreation Day and In Search of Truth once I feel comfortable with TSW.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: March 01, 2022, 03:32:07 AM »

'

Thanks for sharing this advice, all. I'll make sure to prioritize Recreation Day and In Search of Truth once I feel comfortable with TSW.

Perfect.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #870 on: March 01, 2022, 06:58:18 AM »
I love Evergrey, and I don't want to ruin a good party, but I feel this is just more of the same stuff they've been banging out since Hymns. It seems they've settled into a sound of heavy 0-0-0-00-0-0 riffage and really emotional choruses. Just that 'big' sound.

And they're possibly the best band to do 'that'. It's really good and the solos are still amazing. But man, do I miss the more varied approach of, say, an album like The Inner Circle. Anyone who got into Evergrey after Hymns, be sure to at least give the old albums a spin.

Don't take this the wrong way, I like new Evergrey as well. Hymns for the Broken and The Atlantic have some of their best work IMO.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline WardySI

« Reply #871 on: March 01, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »
Agreed!

So much great stuff equal to anything since Hymns on their old albums particularly those recommended already above.

Am probably in the minority but of the least liked runnI absolutely love Torn is still a personal fave \m/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: March 01, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
I love Evergrey, and I don't want to ruin a good party, but I feel this is just more of the same stuff they've been banging out since Hymns. It seems they've settled into a sound of heavy 0-0-0-00-0-0 riffage and really emotional choruses. Just that 'big' sound.

And they're possibly the best band to do 'that'. It's really good and the solos are still amazing. But man, do I miss the more varied approach of, say, an album like The Inner Circle. Anyone who got into Evergrey after Hymns, be sure to at least give the old albums a spin.

Don't take this the wrong way, I like new Evergrey as well. Hymns for the Broken and The Atlantic have some of their best work IMO.

I'm really liking what they are doing but you are totally right.  Different band now I guess and they are up to album 13, so they are going well.  I do know what you mean about the extra creative stuff like on ISOT, but I guess times change.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #873 on: March 01, 2022, 01:25:23 PM »

I've noticed the more "djent" style in their work since 2014, but when everything else is so great, I'm able to overlook it. It would be nice to hear some "signature riffs" in the future, though.

I'm also hoping they're completely done with "oceanic" videos, too. They went a bit overboard with them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: March 01, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »

I've noticed the more "djent" style in their work since 2014, but when everything else is so great, I'm able to overlook it. It would be nice to hear some "signature riffs" in the future, though.

I'm also hoping they're completely done with "oceanic" videos, too. They went a bit overboard with them.

I see what you did there, very nice.

Yeah, it's just the riffing that's pretty much keeping them in a similar sound over the last few, but it's fine to me also.